Author Topic: Community Owned Digital Trading Card Game. Rebuilding Infinity Wars  (Read 33 times)

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
Let me pop a purely hypothetical question to you guys, those who still pop on occasionally to see if there's anything worth hoping for. If you're interested, DM me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL/DR: If we work together, we could own and run IW. Total Costs for first month are roughly $200k. With a steep drop to about $10k /month afterwards. World's first community owned game. Are you in?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The digital card game market generates roughly $400 mil dollars in revenue yearly. Currently games like Hearthstone and Elder Scrolls Legends are the ones taking the biggest bites out of this hunk of dough. And if you've played Hearthstone or Legends after playing Infinity Wars, then you know they're crap. no offense. But when you're itching for a card game to play that has strategy and significant choices with minimal RNG then Infinity Wars is it.

Anyway I'll cut the fluff and get to it.

First and foremost we need to hammer down how to monetize the game:

Auction House. It's hard to monetize a trading card game specifically because obviously the cards can be traded. Without taking away the trading concept I believe the best way to garnish funds necessary to sustain the business will be to first limit the number of times a card can be traded. Another game did this (mabinogi duel) which I found was a great concept. Instead of having "soulbound" cards, all cards can be traded up to a maximum number of times. This will encourage people to either sell or trade their cards.

Anyway, BASICALLY PEOPLE CAN BUY OR SELL CARDS WITH REAL MONEY AND THE COMPANY WOULD CHARGE A COMMISSION ON THOSE TRANSACTIONS.

ALSO the company would sell cosmetics for players as a given.

How to grow the community:

I don't think there's any possible way to grow the player base without a complete server wipe. Of course there are many people who have invested heavily into the game and they deserve some compensation for their collections. with that in mind a server wipe is a must.

Advertising is a must. I think an animated video of the card characters being alive would be great to encourage people to try the game. similar to what hearthstone does in their advertisements.

Plans for the future:

Rotating game modes. Such as 3v1 and all for 1 up to 4 players.

additional factions. Obviously more cards as well. Likely eliminate star trek cards IF it's a continuous licensing payment agreement based on sales.

To preserve the economy of the cards there should be a limited pool per each card like in real life card games. there's not a limitless supply of particular cards. so managing that is also important to prevent an overabundance of specific card types.

Creating leagues with cash prizes down the road similar to what counter strike, league of legends and hearthstone have all done. I think it would also be important to continue the card design challenge as a monthly competition where the grand prize is implementing the card designed into the game. therefore at minimum at least 12 cards per year is added to the game.

Initial Investment:

Those who invest financially or with their time/skills should be the first to receive from any profits generated by the game. Until they're paid back in full.

I spoke with Elphie to find out how much they'd sell the company outright for. I assume the total initial investment to buy out the game would be roughly $50 - $100k AUD (I assume)

1-2 Programmers with 0-1 year/exp - $60k USD
1-2 Game Artists 0-1 yr/exp - $40k
1 Animator - $50k
APP Development - $75-$100k
Animation Commercial Cost - $50k
Miscellaneous costs - $50k

Total costs for Year 1: $450k
Minimum Costs for first month: ~ $200k Including cost to acquire game AND animated commercial costs.

doesn't hurt to ask/try.
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Re: Community Owned Digital Trading Card Game. Rebuilding Infinity Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:45 PM »
Why is first month half of first year? This feels like less than I expected for some reason