Author Topic: [CDC] Gods Among Us [CLOSED!]  (Read 322 times)

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
[CDC] Gods Among Us [CLOSED!]
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
Greetings, fellow card designers.

This contests challenge:

Design a card with high cost (or difficult requirements) and high impact.

With high cost i mean cards with 10+ cost. Every card type is allowed. Cost reduction systems are allowed.

You are allowed to make a card with less than 10 cost if it requires some crazy setup to make up for it (like ultra unit). But should you choose to go this more difficult route, please remember that these are hard to balance (and to judge). As an example, i would say that the Ultra-Unit card is still too weak for what it requires you to do. You are usually better off just using the 3 Mega Units if you manage to deploy them all.

Examples for these cards would be: Titan of the Old World, Virus of Avarrach, Calamity, Omnitron and many others.

--- Card Design Challenge Rules ---
1) The Judge appoints a challenge, it can be anything, making new card, redesigning an old one or whatever you wish.
2) All that wish to participate submit their card design. Each participant may only submit one entry per challenge, you may however edit your post as many times as you wish till the deadline.
3) If you edit your post you should make an additional post in this thread informing of the edit to make sure that the updated version of the card will be judged. The post should contain the full updated card details as well as a brief summary of what changed from your original submission.
4) After an announced deadline the Judge decides a winner. The winner then becomes the Judge for the next round.
5) All entries submitted before the deadline are guaranteed feedback, either in this thread or in another detailed feedback thread.

PRIZES
1st place: 3 alt art packs and 3 collection penta packs
2nd place: 2 alt art packs and 2 collection penta packs
3rd place: 1 alt art pack and 1 collection penta pack
All participants who submit an entry will receive a collection penta pack

SUGGESTED SUBMISSION FORMAT
Name:
Faction/Purity:
Type:
Rarity:
Cost:
Morale:
Attack/Health:
Rules Text:
Flavor Text:

Contest closes Sunday the 5th of November.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:35:22 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Gods Among Us
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »
Name: Forum of Black Arts
Faction/Purity: 1 Cult of Verore
Type: Location
Rarity: Legendary
Cost: 15
Morale: n/a
Attack/Health: n/a
Rules Text:
The cost of Forum of Black Arts in your hand is reduced by 1 each turn.
While Forum of Black Arts is in play, you gain the following effects:
-If you have two or more Cult of Verore purity in your deck, all Ability cards and Character abilities cost one less resource.
-If you have two or more Sleepers of Avarrach purity in your deck, your opponent's cards are shuffled into your deck instead of being sent to their graveyard.
-If you have two or more Genesis Industries purity in your deck, all deployed Characters gain Shield 1 and +5/+5.
Flavor Text: "A witch, a zombie and a robot walk into a bar... I've never seen Candit, Hehkeem and Orion this sour at a joke."

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:27:29 AM »
---
---
Volcanic Manifestation
1p FD + 1p DoD
11 cost
8 morale
Unique Character- Elemental

Charge, Flamestrike +3, Pierce (Whenever this character does damage to another character while attacking,  the defending character's owner's fortress takes damage equal to the damage taken by the defending character minus the defending character's Health)

When Volcanic Manifestation is deployed, all other characters take 3 damage.

Volcanic Manifestation can be played from the graveyard as long as you control deployed characters.

40/8

---
Explodes into play burning everything then demolishing a defending character+ fortress before dying almost instantly, then it does it again if you have the resources. Hopefully it dies when this happens to hide in graveyard from opponent's calamity. If you can keep something alive somehow, then you can keep casting it from the graveyard. DoD helps with stalling to get this card out and also to have cards survive the stacking fire it applies every time you deploy it from graveyard.

Pierce is essentially Trample from MTG- If this 40/4 hits a 12/10, the enemy's fortress will take 30 damage (40 attack - 10 health). This only cares about the 1 character it hits and ignores all other characters in the defense zone.

Note: Flamestrike +3 is meant to mean it stacks immolation on characters.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:53:43 AM by Hiding »

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:41:41 AM »
Name: Uncalamity
Faction/Purity: factionless
Type: ability
Rarity: epic
Cost: 11

Rules Text:
All cards removed from game are returned to play.

Flavor Text:
Nuuuuuuuuuo!!!!!!!!
MAY ALL YOUR PENTA PACKS HAVE LEGENDS AND MAY ALL YOUR RIFT RUNS BE REWARDING!
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
Omnispace
3p GI - epic
10 Cost
Unique Artifact

Remove opponent Characters Unblockable while Omnispace is in play.
Exhaust: Target Character you control gains Unblockable and Reach until the end of turn.

"This great artifact can transport you to any location or dimension. You can even reach behind enemy lines."

This cards art is of the artifact floating in outer space. When making use of the Unblockable instead of Reach, you can go for raw damage or make use of character abilities like Genesis Spy or Genesis Scavenger.

Online mew28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:23:06 PM »
Name: Spirit of the dawn
Faction/Purity: FD 3
Type: Character Spirit
Rarity: Legendary
Cost:100
Morale:100
Attack/Health:150/100
Rules Text: Flying Untouchable
 Cost one less for every moral you have lost this match
Flavor Text: The Flame Dawn are never quite out so long as a single spark of hope remains.

Offline N3R0N

• View Profile
Re: [CDC]
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 05:37:36 AM »
Name: Aberion, GOD OF WAR
Faction/Purity: 3p Flame Dawn
Type: Unique character
Rarity:Legendary
Cost:23
Morale:20
Attack/Health:25/25
Rules Text:
 Invincible in assault zone, Haste, Unstoppable,reach
 Cannot be a commander, Aberion, GOD OF War can only attack alone
 You can exhaust any number of characters to play this card, for every card exhausted this way this card gets -2 cost
Flavor Text:;
After betraying the Flame Dawn and searching for new powers he came down from the sky and said to his men
"IT WILL BE WAR!!"
So a war bettwen overseers and flame down started
Spartans don't ask how many but where they are

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »
The World Killer
3 CoV
Unique Ability
Legendary
Cost 15

Preemptive
Destroy all permanents. Then do it again. Then both players discard their hands. Then CARDNAME does 25 damage to both players and both players lose 25 morale. Then remove all copies of CARDNAME from both players' hands, decks, and graveyards. Then remove both players' graveyards from the game. Counter all other abilities that would be played this turn. Players cannot use the trading post next turn.

Mountains crumbled to dust, forests wilted, oceans dried up, the sky burned. And as the spell finished, the caster herself knew despair--and finally death.

There will be no survivors. It might seem odd to destroy all permanents twice, but this does a few things. Firstly, I hope you weren't counting on shield. Secondly, you can't kidnap your own characters to escape. Thirdly, characters that transform on death or leave behind tokens on death are also gonezo. The idea is to wipe the board completely clean (except for those pesky Paladins). This is a devastating and awe-inspiring spell.
It might seem odd to prevent players from using the trading post the next turn, but that's designed to reinforce the destruction left in the spell's wake and to prevent an asymmetrical draw 3 from the casting player (do you really think the opponent upped their resources as much as the caster did?).
Exiling graves after hand discard prevents cards with Exile from being cast (also prevents reanimation shenanigans like The Last Sleeper and Recurring Nightmare). Damage and Morale hit can but won't necessarily win the game on the spot. Also, this is a super one-time-use spell. Once you blow up the planet, you can't do it again.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:25 AM »
Name: Uncalamity
Faction/Purity: factionless
Type: ability
Rarity: epic
Cost: 11

Rules Text:
All cards removed from game are returned to play.

Flavor Text:
Nuuuuuuuuuo!!!!!!!!

Are they all returned to play in the support zone or the original zone they were in?

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »
Alright, due to the forum being down for a while and the confusion with the replacement rolled back forum this contests deadline is extended until Friday the 10th of November. Then the judgement shall come.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:32:28 PM »
Prince of Lies

Hiding

TameRlane

Number11

mew28

N3R0N

Benionin

I had an extremly hard time to choose the winners this time even after going over all entries multiple times, it was extremly close this time and every card could have come up at least in the 3rd place. Good work everyone.

Winners:
3rd place

2nd place

1st place

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks everyone for participating.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Gods Among Us [CLOSED!]
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »
I feel like purity doesnt always have to reflect the "primary playstyle" of a faction if it makes sense or opens up more options with deckbuilding. The purpose of making my card FD/DoD was to make the faction combo more of a possibility in the current meta. I feel balancing attack and defense to work quite well with this card.

Another thing is just because FD is mainly aggressive doesnt mean everything aggressive only comes from flame dawn. Even lorewise demons should be aggressive as well or maybe beasts. I can also imagine DoD with ninjas and stuff where most trickery comes from exiles or Verore.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Gods Among Us [CLOSED!]
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »
First, it was a minor complaint from my side. If I would have thought that your card is absolutly unacceptable for the purity you placed it at, I would not have ranked it where i did.

I agree that not every faction needs to only have cards for their primary playstyle, in fact for many factions I wish there was more than one viable style. However, I think that alternative playstyles/cards should not come from other factions primary playstyles, but need to be something with own identity (that might very well synergize with another faction to be splashed in). After all, the factions being distinctly different from each other is what makes this purity system really interesting imho.

If you have another opinion, then that is perfectly fine, but I would actually prefer that the factions core competences would 'bleed' much less into other factions than some of them already did - just take removal spells. I liked it much more when the only good cheap and easy to use hard removal was Verore only and you had to really pay up for neutral cards like assassinate if you wanted hard removal in 3p Wp for example.

I also agree that not every card that is aggressive needs to be FD, but this card is more than just aggressive, comes with 2 typical FD abilities and a new one that seems to be tailormade for FD.  Sure, FD/DoD could use a card like that, but then again, every deck that doesnt aim for a morale victory could. Anyways, long story short, i still think it is a good card and i really like it. Just thought for a double purity card it looked like not a lot of DoD influence went into it.