Author Topic: [CDC] For Free! [Contest Closed!]  (Read 353 times)

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
[CDC] For Free! [Contest Closed!]
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
Greetings, fellow card design contest veterans (and newcomers, should any show up).

This contests challenge:

Design a card that you can play for free!

The card can have 0 cost from the start or can have a condition which must be fulfilled to be free. Cards with a cost reduction system like oblivion, although eventually free, do NOT count for this challenge. It's either full price or for free, nothing in between.

Existing examples from the game would be Echo of the Battlefield or the graveyard mechanic of Last Sleeper or the Aletas. (I think there is no straight forward 0 cost card yet, but those count too).

--- Card Design Challenge Rules ---
1) The Judge appoints a challenge, it can be anything, making new card, redesigning an old one or whatever you wish.
2) All that wish to participate submit their card design. Each participant may only submit one entry per challenge, you may however edit your post as many times as you wish till the deadline.
3) If you edit your post you should make an additional post in this thread informing of the edit to make sure that the updated version of the card will be judged. The post should contain the full updated card details as well as a brief summary of what changed from your original submission.
4) After an announced deadline the Judge decides a winner. The winner then becomes the Judge for the next round.
5) All entries submitted before the deadline are guaranteed feedback, either in this thread or in another detailed feedback thread.

PRIZES
1st place: 3 alt art packs and 3 collection penta packs
2nd place: 2 alt art packs and 2 collection penta packs
3rd place: 1 alt art pack and 1 collection penta pack
All participants who submit an entry will receive a collection penta pack

SUGGESTED SUBMISSION FORMAT
Name:
Faction/Purity:
Type:
Rarity:
Cost:
Morale:
Attack/Health:
Rules Text:
Flavor Text:

Contest closes Sunday the 24th of September.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:33:39 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] For Free!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
Name: Doppelganger
Faction/Purity: 1 Cult of Verore
Type: Character - Spirit
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 4
Morale: 0
Attack/Health: 0/1
Rules Text:
Lives 2
When you deploy Doppelganger, you must select a deployed Unique Character and Doppelganger transforms into a copy of the designated Character. If you do not, you lose 10 Health and Morale.
If two or more Unique Characters die on the same turn while Doppelganger is in the graveyard, Doppelganger is raised to your Support Zone and gains +20/+20.
Flavor Text: "For some time now, Candit had been researching a way to achieve the same immortal status as her mistress, Aleta. Her untimely demise had halted all progress into this project. However, now that Rita had seen what her rival was up to, can she prove herself to be as capable as the Head Researcher?"
Flavor Text 2: "Would you kindly stare into the reflection of your own death?"

EDIT: Removed permanent +20 bonuses on each successful rezz. Changed "target" to "select" for Untouchable bypass... for copying Marina'd Sols or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:46:23 PM by Prince of Lies »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »

Lyssa, the Flicker-Knight
1p GI + 1p FD
3 cost
7 morale
Unique Character- Artificial Human

Charge

If Lyssa enters your hand in any way during the turn resolution phase and you don't control a deployed Lyssa, the Flicker-Knight, she is automatically deployed to the assault zone.

At the end of the turn, shuffle Lyssa into your deck. Lyssa retains all permanent buffs even if she leaves the battlefield.

8/6
---

Includes drawing her, return to hand (from anywhere) or fetch cards. Does not apply if you drew her with trading post or during the beginning of each turn. Also works with parallel rift because that happens at end of resolution not planning
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:23:42 PM by Hiding »

Offline mew28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:02:40 PM »
Name: Omega Unit
Faction/Purity: GI/3
Type:Spell
Rarity:Legendary
Cost:0
Rules Text: Sacrifice all target deployed artificial characters, make a X/Y unit where X equals the combined attack of all sacrificed characters and Y equals the combined max health of all sacrificed characters.

If you sacrifice 4 or more characters gain shied 1
If you sacrifice 6 or more characters gain unstopable
If you sacrifice 8 or more characters gain untouchable 
Flavor Text: After the failure of ultra unit the omega unit was made to be constructed with much for flexible parts at the cost of ultra units devastating initial impact.

Notes
For the omega unit token
Name: Omega Unit
Faction/Purity: Gi1
Type:Artifactual Character
Rarity: Legendary
Cost: 4
Morale: 10
Attack/Health:X/y
Rules Text: Varys

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:45 AM »
Distribution Attacker
2p FD - uncommon
0 Cost
4 Morale
Character - Human
0/1
Charge

When you deploy Distribution Attacker, you can target a deployed character you control.
Move half the power of the target character(rounded down) over to Distribution Attacker.

Distribution Attacker is good for when too much attack power is focused on one character. For example it does not help you to stack a lot of power on to Flame Dawn Centurion if he is just going to fight 6/6 or 8/8 characters. Playing Distribution Attacker will also give Flame Dawn Centurion +2/0 before taking half his power. Rapier Fanatic is another example of a good combo. Distribution Attacker is good for when you just want your attack to be more evenly distributed.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »
Distribution Attacker
2p FD - uncommon
0 Cost
4 Morale
Character - Human
0/1
Charge

When you deploy Distribution Attacker, you can target a deployed character you control.
Move half the power of the target character(rounded down) over to Distribution Attacker.

Distribution Attacker is good for when too much attack power is focused on one character. For example it does not help you to stack a lot of power on to Flame Dawn Centurion if he is just going to fight 6/6 or 8/8 characters. Playing Distribution Attacker will also give Flame Dawn Centurion +2/0 before taking half his power. Rapier Fanatic is another example of a good combo. Distribution Attacker is good for when you just want your attack to be more evenly distributed.

Just gotta say this sounds like a pretty awesome concept. Also adds more bodies for Bromich and Sacculas.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »
Flash Meditation
3 DoD
0-cost
Ability
Uncommon

Target character gets +0/+2 and your fortress is healed for 2 health and morale. Return CARDNAME to your hand at the end of the turn.

Take a moment to center yourself, even in the fires of battle.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you incremental advantage. 3 DoD to avoid Aether Acolyte shenanigans. Note that there has to be a character to target.

Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
Name: Fog of War
Faction/Purity: Factionless
Type: Unique Ability
Rarity: Epic
Cost: 0

Rules Text: A deck may only contain one copy of Fog of War.
At the end of the first turn, move Fog of War from your deck into your hand.

When you play Fog of War the priority marker is removed. At the beginning of each turn, priority is assigned at random.

Flavor Text:
"To be blind is not miserable; not to be able to bear blindness, that is miserable."-John Milton
MAY ALL YOUR PENTA PACKS HAVE LEGENDS AND MAY ALL YOUR RIFT RUNS BE REWARDING!
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:08:42 PM »
Name: Pure Art
Keyword Ability: Opening

Rules Text:
"Player can choose to play the game seeing only the art of his cards. You may not have more than 1 copy of Pure Art in your deck. Pure Art is removed from the game at the end of the turn."

Flavor Text: "There are those who simply admire art... without any explanation."

Explanation (;D): As the attachment shows, everything 'inside' the blue 'box' disapears, only the art remains when Pure Art is activated.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:49:12 PM by Klassick »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 04:17:20 AM »
Name: Pure Art
Keyword Ability: Opening

Rules Text:
"Player can choose to play the game seeing only the art of his cards. You may not have more than 1 copy of Pure Art in your deck. Pure Art is removed from the game at the end of the turn."

Flavor Text: "There are those who simply admire art... without any explanation."

Explanation (;D): As the attachment shows, everything 'inside' the blue 'box' disapears, only the art remains when Pure Art is activated.

Your explanation makes no sense if that happened the card would be only faction symbols and frame and costs.

Also this card punishes new players.

Also if the rules text is in quotations then the card literally does nothing as everything is flavor text.

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »
Hum...

Ok.

More explanation:

Take a look here:

http://infinity-wars.wikia.com/wiki/Understanding_Infinity_Wars_Cards

1-) When I mentioned "inside the blue box", my intention was to say that the "Card Name", "Keyword Abilities", "Type/Supertype/Sub-type" do not appear. So, what the player would see using Pure Art was only the art of the card.

2-) Player can still see what is "outside the blue box", so, Rarity, Attack/Health, Faction Purity, Resource Cost, Morale Cost, Artist and Set/Card Number still appears.

3-) The card text says that "Player can choose to play the game seeing only the art of his cards [...]" so, it does not punishes new players.

What is the intention of this card? Experienced players who already know what a card does now have the option to play the game seeing only the art of the cards of his deck, so, players like me that loves the art of the game can see the cards art as a whole, without anything in front of it.

It is a way to promote a different game play mode.

At the first turn, if u have the card at your deck, as it has "opening", the card plays itself and the game asks you: "Do u want to play the game seeing only your cards art? Yes / No."

After, the card disapears.

If you still think this is not appropriate for the challange, I can make something different.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:40:56 PM by Klassick »

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:06 AM »
Or they could just make the alt button a toggle instead of requiring you to hold it in ::)
(actually I guess you could just enable sticky keys to make your computer hold alt for you)

Life Transfer
OR
Ability

Sacrifice a non-artificial, non-undead deployed Character: Target character gains +1/+X, where X is 1 less than the remaining health of the sacrificed Character, with a max of 5.

Basically the card allows you to distribute health, but is limited by the max amount and in that you have to sacrifice a character rather than just dealing damage, so you can't just spam it on a high health unit, most efficient when used with characters that have 6 health.

It can be seen as someone stealing life force or giving it, it's useful for when a character is probably going to die anyway, or just to give a more useful unit a buff at the cost of a boring unit with some health.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:49:54 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 01:49:00 AM »
Hum...

Ok.

More explanation:

Take a look here:

http://infinity-wars.wikia.com/wiki/Understanding_Infinity_Wars_Cards

1-) When I mentioned "inside the blue box", my intention was to say that the "Card Name", "Keyword Abilities", "Type/Supertype/Sub-type" do not appear. So, what the player would see using Pure Art was only the art of the card.

2-) Player can still see what is "outside the blue box", so, Rarity, Attack/Health, Faction Purity, Resource Cost, Morale Cost, Artist and Set/Card Number still appears.

3-) The card text says that "Player can choose to play the game seeing only the art of his cards [...]" so, it does not punishes new players.

What is the intention of this card? Experienced players who already know what a card does now have the option to play the game seeing only the art of the cards of his deck, so, players like me that loves the art of the game can see the cards art as a whole, without anything in front of it.

It is a way to promote a different game play mode.

At the first turn, if u have the card at your deck, as it has "opening", the card plays itself and the game asks you: "Do u want to play the game seeing only your cards art? Yes / No."

After, the card disapears.

If you still think this is not appropriate for the challange, I can make something different.

Im not the judge. Why not just have the player view all cards art only instead of just his own? I mean the visuals only affect the player playing the card right? The other player can see the text of all cards.

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
Im not the judge. Why not just have the player view all cards art only instead of just his own? I mean the visuals only affect the player playing the card right? The other player can see the text of all cards.

Oops, sorry, I thought you were the judge  :o

So, I thinked about what you said before making the card, and I believe even veterans have doubts sometimes... that's why I believe keeping the effect only at your own cards would make Pure Art more playable.

And, ok, I thinked about making a button who could do the same but, a card that's do so sounded more creative for me :)

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
And so, i shall pass down (not so) divine justice upon thee. Kidding aside, there were many good cards and creative designs around this time. Good work everyone!

Prince of Lies

Hiding

mew28

Number11

Benionin

TameRlane

Klassick

NatoPotato

Winners:
3rd place

2nd

1st

Congratulations to the winners and thanks for everyone for participating! There were many interesting cards this time, I quite enjoyed seeing your creations.

See you at the next challenge!