Author Topic: [CDC] I'll Do It Later [CLOSED]  (Read 550 times)

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
[CDC] I'll Do It Later [CLOSED]
« on: June 25, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »
Card Design Challenge – I'll Do It Later

Design a card which triggers a delayed effect once deployed/played.

The card must have an effect that happens X turns after the card is deployed/played.
(like Tome of the Dead or Eaten by Zombies)

The card can have whatever types/stats/abilities/keywords/etc you want.

The delayed effects can be positive or negative. (or both)

The card can have effects that aren't a part of the delay, but it should still have a majority of its effects, or its main effect, triggered by a turn delay or a counter counting down to 0. (or up to X)

The delay can be a static turn count (like tome of the dead) or it can be dynamic (like brief visit to torment).

A dynamic delay can be defined by anything you want when the card is deployed.
(eg the turn delay could be the number of characters in play when the card is played)
Just try to make sure it can't be set to 0 when the card is deployed.
(or at least not unless there are some pretty rare or difficult to set up circumstances)

Are the delayed effects dependent on the card still being in play?
(aka do they still go off if the card is destroyed/removed)
Unless specified I'll assume that 'counters' like tome are dependent, while 'in X turns' is independent.

If the delayed effect is dependent on the card still being in play what happens if it is temporarily removed from the game?
Unless otherwise specified I'll assume the counter is reset.

Can the delay be shortened/lengthened after the card is played?
Sure, just make sure that you can't reduce the delay to 0 on the same turn the card is played or extend the delay indefinitely.
The delayed effect should not be able to happen on the same turn as playing the card and should happen eventually unless the card is destroyed/removed or the game ends.

Deadline is the 11th of July at 7:00am IWT

Examples:

--- Card Design Challenge Rules ---
1) The Judge appoints a challenge, it can be anything, making new card, redesigning an old one or whatever you wish.
2) All that wish to participate submit their card design. Each participant may only submit one entry per challenge, you may however edit your post as many times as you wish till the deadline.
3) After an announced deadline the Judge decides a winner. The winner then becomes the Judge for the next round, if the winner does not wish to host the next round a runner-up may do so instead.
4) All entries submitted before the deadline are guaranteed feedback, either in this thread or in another detailed feedback thread.

PRIZES
1st place: 3 alt art packs and 3 collection penta packs
2nd place: 2 alt art packs and 2 collection penta packs
3rd place: 1 alt art pack and 1 collection penta pack
All participants who submit an entry will receive a collection penta pack

SUGGESTED SUBMISSION FORMAT
Name:
Faction/Purity:
Type:
Rarity:
Cost:
Morale:
Attack/Health:
Rules Text:
Flavor Text:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:04:11 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline Number11

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] I'll Do It Later
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
I think you meant 6th of July instead of June for the deadline. Otherwise the contest would already be over.

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »
I kinda don't get the instructions but I patterned this one slightly after Eaten by Zombies.

Name: Inhuman Fate
Faction/Purity: 2 Sleepers of Avarrach or 2 Exiles
Type: Unique Ability
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 3
Rules Text:
Neither player can inflict any form of damage to non-Human Characters, fortress or morale until the end of this turn.
After 3 turns, choose one of the following preemptive effects to activate:
-Send all cards in play to the graveyard
-Send both players' hands to the graveyard
-Remove all cards in both graveyards from play
-Both players have their fortress health and unit morale divided equally between them
Flavor Text: "Those who fear death have not known any horror worse than it."
Alternative Flavor Text: "Did he just ragequit?"

Basically, a Unique Ability which is a bit of a toned-down version for Die Another Day in that you can still lose because of Ju Lin or Grimmish or something alternate victory condition.
A one-off stall effect with an added bonus of character preservation from damage.
While you still have to wait for 3 turns before you can use its more potent effects, your access to Adaptive Ritualist can net you up to three more additional uses of the card.
Sort of favoring mill strategies, this card also encourages you to use Tygrugh or Sleepers cards as you and your opponent are forced to dump cards in the graveyard.
Also, countering control and mill are its graveyard removal and fortress/morale equalizer.

The odd purity is to stop it from being easily splashable and largely confined to the least friendly of the factions.
Worth of note is that you can stall with Fear or Wholesale Slaughter while also having access to Infested Abominations, Last Sleepers, Ixxi among other things to be dumping in the graveyard.
EDIT: Changed effects to resolve preemptively and increased cost slightly.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:07:54 PM by Prince of Lies »

Offline NatoPotato

• View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:34:28 AM »
Sorry if the text is a bit much, only the first few lines are really important, rest was mostly just trying to make people think of different possibilities.

I'll re-write it to hopefully be a bit more clear.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:29:12 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »
Traitor- At the beginning of the combat phase, this character enters combat with the character in front of it and does not attack or block the opponent. If there is no character in front of it, it attacks its controller's fortress.

Host to Horrors
2p Exiles
6 cost
Ability

Target a deployed Character.

When the targeted character is killed, create a Spider, Octopus, and Worm character in that character's zone. These are Entangled.

At the end of the next turn, kill the targeted character.

Your opponent does not know which character you target.

---

After a short incubation period, the targeted character bursts open and releases a bunch of nasty creatures that run around wrecking havoc.

Note you can actually kill this character through another method and it will still spawn the horrors. The horrors have negative morale to indicate gaining of morale when killed.

Because of a 2 turn delay, as well as a certain random effect, this card isnt the best to be used as spot removal. However pseudo creating 3 characters is pretty powerful (imagine if these were straight up deployed on your side without traitor), the opponent now has to find ways to get rid of these pests or they will kill more stuff potentially, cripple things or damage their fortress. You know which zone the characters will be in during planning phase so your opponent can try to kill them off or protect their things by moving them out, you can use this info to try to predict your opponent character movements and use that to your advantage.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:01:24 AM by Hiding »

Offline mew28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 04:09:57 AM »
Name: New Recruit
Faction/Purity: FD
Type: Character Human
Rarity: Uncomman
Cost:1
Morale:1
Attack/Health:8/8
Rules Text: New Recruit can only attack or block after being deployed two turns
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:55:22 AM by mew28 »

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »
Exhausted Soldier
2 purity FD - uncommon
1 cost
6 morale
Character - Human
6/6

When you deploy Exhausted Soldier, move him to the support zone and Exhaust him for X turns where X is the turn he was deployed at. (A counter shows how long the card is Exhausted)
Exhausted Soldier can not be moved by other cards.
Exhausted Soldier gains 0/+4 whenever he is buffed by a mission card.

If you play the card lets say turn 2, then he moves to the support zone and is Exhaust for turn 2 and 3. It is better to play the card earlier than later and you can not straight up attack the player turn 1 by making him a commander with the way Exhausted Soldier works.

Old card idea:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:09:24 PM by Number11 »

Offline NatoPotato

• View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 04:07:26 AM »
@mew28 that card doesn't really work, the cards effect needs to happen after a delay, not just every turn.

@Number11 that looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I should allow a delay that can (hypothetically) be postponed indefinitely, I don't mind that the delay can be lengthened and I get that it only has 8 health and the opponent could protect their characters or avoid playing characters etc, I don't want to be picky but I just feel like the delayed effect should be 'inevitable' outside of destroying/removing the card or ending the game.

Also I may extend the deadline for the contest if there's not enough entries in the next couple days.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:47:12 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 06:15:44 AM »
New, hopefully valid entry

Carrier of Corruptoin
1 Exiles
Character--Demon
Uncommon
1 cost
5/5
2 morale

When you deploy CARDNAME, target character becomes a demon in addition to its other subtypes. After two turns, that character loses all non-demon subtypes and gains +6/+6

Old Entry
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:30:20 PM by Benionin »
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
Updated my post with a new card.

(Update) Updated my update post just to say that the newest card entry from Benionin below this post is brilliant. It will open up for very fun and interactive play styles.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:59:35 PM by Number11 »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
Joke entry:

Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline NatoPotato

• View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »
Nice reference, I'm glad they changed that card, unfortunately it's more valid than your actual entry, the entry should start a timer or counter on deploy (or when it's played if its an ability card)

3 Days to go and only 3 valid entries. :/
(are the forums super empty right now or does the challenge just suck?)

I'll push the deadline to the 11th.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
My mistake. Will come up with a new idea. Read the guidelines once, came back about a week later and thought any delayed trigger would do, not just a deploy/cast delay.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
Name: (More) Unstable Bomb Bot
Faction/Purity: 1 GI
Type: Character
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 3
Morale: 4
Attack/Health: 8/4
Rules Text: At the start of each players turn, that player may pay 2. If they do, Unstable Bomb-bot gains +2/+0. If not, Unstable Bomb-bot is sacrificed, and deals damage equal to its power to every Character on the Battlefield.  Any Characters that started the turn on the Battlefield cannot be moved to the Support Zone this turn.
Flavor Text: "Hey! Don't touch tha... [BOOM]"

So does this count as a delayed effect? It's not a count down timer but it is (technically) a delayed effect.

ok... new idea otw.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:29:50 AM by TameRlane »
MAY ALL YOUR PENTA PACKS HAVE LEGENDS AND MAY ALL YOUR RIFT RUNS BE REWARDING!
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline NatoPotato

• View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 02:36:46 AM »
So does this count as a delayed effect? It's not a count down timer but it is (technically) a delayed effect.
The delay should be set when its deployed rather than on activation of an ability.