Author Topic: So... What about this game?  (Read 490 times)

Offline Vuurjopi

• View Profile
So... What about this game?
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »
    At the start of September, our little game will be 3 years old. This game has been so small that I don't even know how the puffy I came upon it. I played it like most casuals would do: no-life for a week, play casual for a few months, stop for a while and return when a new set comes out. Steam charts show that most players of IW follow this routine, check it out for yourself: http://steamcharts.com/app/257730#All.
    Currently I'm in the 'stop' fase, waiting for something exciting to happen and return to the game. But lately I've been wondering if that'll ever happen. We've been screaming for a long time that this game is dying but right now it's really on the verge of death.

If you look at the steam charts, you'll see that in May there was an average of 40.4 players online. That's lower than ever before. We've been hitting all time low for 3 months in a row now and it's very possible that next month will go even lower.
    The forum is the same story: Last 4 months have seen the least activity in this game's entire history. You can check the stats for yourself: http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?action=stats We used to endlessly puffy about the devs, the forum-moderator and the state of the game. That has vanished now. The only things coming up are the CDC's, people quitting and Merlin who'll never get his money.
    Also as far as I know are there no active content creators left. I followed inifinity_disciples youtube channel but he has (like the other content creators) a lot of better things to do right now.
    And we haven't heard anything from ES or the team behind the game. The only one who seems to be doing anything is TameRlane.

So... What about this game? Will the next official announcement have exciting new features? Or will it tell at what date and time the servers will shut down?
I will build a great wall and the exiles will pay for it! ~ Gao Han

Offline keyranaway

• View Profile
Re: So... What about this game?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 05:56:30 PM »
Gaem is ded but if you want to stay informed you should join the discord
https://discord.gg/BmB3y5f

Offline NTL

• If you think I'm wrong - think harder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:16:53 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'll make sure it gets to our dev team.  :)

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
Hey Vuurjopi, the team is working on other projects at this time, however i have been informed that this is just a temporary state and the game will not shut down anytime soon.
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline Vuurjopi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »
Thanks for the little heads-up, and that discord invite.
I will build a great wall and the exiles will pay for it! ~ Gao Han

Offline Weak_Wolf

• In Vino Veritas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'll make sure it gets to our dev team.  :)

Well first off the LM Team left for a different project, because they would rather try to catch lightning in a bottle a second time, instead of cultivating the lightning they already got.

IW has been going on for over 5 years now if you include the years that it was in BETA and TBH it has suffered from the same problem since Day 1.

1) The cards do not FEEL powerful. Whether it be a lack of meaningful card affects, or maybe because the card attacks are not animation, idk what it is. But if a card with 20 damage attacks a card that is 1/1, I want to feel it. That is a very minor problem but it goes miles in breaking the 4th wall.

Furthermore the lack of good quality sound affects players a role too. Different attacks should sound different. Feel different, that small change makes each game feel slightly different, thus making it more replayable. "Oh, wow Ive been playing for months and I never heard that sound before, so thats what that sound like, cool." It helps the game feel fresh even if it is only slightly, like there is something that has went undiscovered, thus making you feel like there is more to discover.

2) Underpowered Cards, Bloodbath... Some cards in this game are just unplayable. That kind of situation does not exist in any other card game. Put it simply, whenever you draw bloodbath you have wasted a draw. Whenever you draw Hilderic you have wasted a draw, and there are ALOT of cards like that. The Legends patch was a HUGE step in the right direction, but more needs to be done, power scaling has make some cards unplayable. If they are going to scrap the game why not take chances before you do to fix these issues? it would be as simple as tweaking a few stats and affects.

3) Factions are boring! Exiles play through the Exile Mechanic but the Exile mechanic doesnt even feel powerful and is often times not even cost affective. Flame Dawn Charge is nice but not creative or imaginative, Sleeper Undead Mechanic is... Its all just a little brain dead.

And the in-game combo's are boring as well. Bury + Reoccuring Nightmare is a cool combo to think of. But you just paid 5 Cost for a 9/11. Just run a Converted Prototype and get the same thing for 4 cost. Not to mention that running either makes Hehkeem counterintuitive since they are above 3 cost. Or Run Hungry Abomination in Command and telegraph your entire decks playstyle. Logorythmatron, The creative and imaginative combo's are not very satisfying and the satisfying combo's are brain dead to say the least. In TES Legends there is a card that deals 1 damage to every character in that lane if you equip it with a weapon, it cost 6 and a weapon would cost 2+, so it is an expensive combo and not very good. BUT! If you equip it with a weapon that gives that card lethal, all of a sudden you are clearing an entire board with that same combo. SUPER SATISFYING WHEN YOU PULL IT OFF, even though it is expensive and tough to make it work, when you do you clear their ENTIRE BOARD! Again! and AGAIN! If you keep equiping weapons to the character.

I could litterally go on all day about all the weird functionality issues with the different factions in the game, what needs to be tweaked, what needs to be refined, different combo's that could be implemented. And maybe I will in the future, TBH Ive already made some posts with some ideas. Its just said that nothing will come of this game.

4) Bugs, Bugs, Bugs! And the issue is that after every patch the DEV team spends the next few months trying to fix the fires they created with the last patch. The Public Test Realm turned out to be a fail and was ungraceful, much like the rest of the game.

5) The UI is clunky and not very fun to look at. It is dull, not really a high quality job. On Hearthstone or TES Everytime I go back to the lobby my eyes have an orgasm because of how shiny and sleek it looks.

LOng story short I called this years ago. As far back as 2012 I said that although this game had alot of potential it would never get the tender love and care that it deserved and it would eventually die off. IW def had something going for it, it was unlike any other game OF ITS TIME! But Its TIME was back in 2012. 4 Years later time has caught up to it and there is some real competition from some power gaming companies, it would be silly for IW to try and compete with them now, especially not with the failed proof of concept that they have right now,

I would reckon sometime in the late 2019 or early 2020 LM will decide that keeping the server for this game up and running is costing them more money than it is making them and will close the game for good. 5 Years of patching and fixes and the game is still essentially the same. All of their major changes really feel like minor changes, and their minor changes dont really change anything. So sad. Well... bye for another 3 months!

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
1) The cards do not FEEL powerful. Whether it be a lack of meaningful card affects, or maybe because the card attacks are not animation, idk what it is. But if a card with 20 damage attacks a card that is 1/1, I want to feel it. That is a very minor problem but it goes miles in breaking the 4th wall.

The cards are aware of the fact that they are cards and that people are playing them?