Author Topic: Latest Balance Changes and Bug Fixes  (Read 2238 times)

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
Latest Balance Changes and Bug Fixes
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
Hey guys, here's the long awaited balance changes and some bug fixes:

Balance Changes and Reworks:

Taiga, Combat Reconstructor

If an Artificial Character you control dies while Taiga is deployed, all Characters you control that are in the same zone as Taiga gain +1/+1.

Dragon Collar – Remove “Unique”

Acquire

Copy three cards from your opponent’s deck and place them into your hand. Copied cards are revealed to your opponent.

Red Tape

Target Character on the Battlefield is moved the Command Zone

Splitter Lite – Changed to 2 purity

Dragon of the Autumn Wind – Now Unique

Martyr of Life

Sacrifice Martyr of Life: All Character cards you control have a maximum cost of 2 resources. This ability can only be used while deployed.

Irial, Champion of Resolve – Now works from the Command Zone

Rift to the Old World – Changed to 5 cost (to make it more viable in draft and constructed)

Vandalize - Changed to 5 cost (to make it more viable in draft and constructed)

Helix Worm – Rarity increased to Rare.
Morale cost increased to 10. Helix Worm’s tokens morale increased to 5 each.

Marina – Changed to 4 cost, 1 purity Angels

Alearem – has untouchable

Draft changes:

Rhaziel, the Solitary – Banned from Command Zone.

Rapier Fanatic - banned from Command Zone.

Removed from draft: Dancer of Jinhai, Warden of the Wall, Unified Protector, Balanced Warrior, Host to the Ancestors.

To make DOD more consistent and better in draft.

Bugs fixed:

Counterspell and Daclerius's Edict didn't fully prevent Intimidating Rally/Pacifying Winds.

Crazed Augmenter targeting Untouchable characters.

Rhaziel -  buff mechanic made the same as the Klore mechanic (he gets the +3/+3 buff after he hits the fortress).

Fixed Rhaziel's bug with Daclerius, The Law where he still got the +3/+3 even though he didn't hit the opponent's fortress.

Inter-Dimensional Phase Bot -
New description added to clarify his ability:
When Inter-Dimensional Phase Bot is removed from the game, a copy of this card is created in the same zone it was in (unless Overcharged from the hand).
Pay 6: Remove Inter-Dimensional Phase Bot from the game. It returns to play at the end of the turn. This ability can only be played while deployed.

We will be setting our eyes on the Epics, Rebalancing and reworking the ones that see less play/no play at all.

If you have any Rework/Balance idea you would like to share regarding the Epics or any other card,  feel free to do so on this list or alternatively on the New Balance Ideas channel on Discord, we just might use it  :D

Join Discord here
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:55:47 PM by ES [BoD] »
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Re: Latest Balance Changes and Bug Fixes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
explanation of Rhaziel's bug is a bit off- he shouldnt get the buff because he didn't attack not because he didn't hit a fortress. He buffs on attacking not on getting a hit in.

Also may want to check the interaction with klore. I don't think Klore gets unblockable the turn after if he is stopped by daclerius.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:03:29 AM by ES [BoD] »

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:04:01 AM »
explanation of Rhaziel's bug is a bit off- he shouldnt get the buff because he didn't attack not because he didn't hit a fortress. He buffs on attacking not on getting a hit in.

Also may want to check the interaction with klore. I don't think Klore gets unblockable the turn after if he is stopped by daclerius.
Yea, we will definitely look at this interaction, thx Hiding.
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline xzmce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
Tyga- Good change, adds more risk to her play style and doesn't allow her to sit back and pump your team unless you dont have a lot of stuff out.
Dragon Collar- Fine, def didn't need unique
Aquire- Gives the opponent information of what they got and densest allow mill to take all your cards. Overall a great change that makes it not busted and kinda fringe playable
Red tape- Good. FD can't hit support zone stuff as well as makes it so you cant use Saculus a ton of times as fast
Splitter Lite- RIP robo decks that splash gi, really rough on those along with tyga changes but thats good because it was far too good.
Dragon of the autumn wind- Now you wont get beaten by 3 of these guys out of nowhere and stealing all your cards
MOL- This is how it should have been to start with since its not really in WP flavor to do stuff with spells
Irial- Took a while, may make a few fringe token decks pretty alright
Rift to the old world- Still not great since locations are big, but i guess it helps
Vandalize- Already seeing play to break some urns, just makes it better and easier to play
Helix Worm- Not a too big change, mostly for Rift runs but worse against control i guess
Marina- Why. You buff her a lot and then realize she can be really good and then nerf her to worse than she was before. If she was back to her release state she would still be fine and see little to no play. I guess the purity change makes sense but I will miss her a lot
Alerem- Good, doesn't need to be vulnerable to spot removal
Rhaziel- I think the buff on attack is really important to how the card play. He already has the draw back of having to attack alone so he can be chumped and just never gain the buff where as before even if he was blocked he would get bigger. I think that is important and should be changed back, it just hurts him way too much.

Offline suli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
Looking good.

Offline MakinoMane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »
I still think Aqcuire should have had a cost increase and purity increase. Everything else looks fine to me

Offline Candit

• "I make this game, James." #Poga
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
Double nerf on Rhaziel. Rip.
Double cost on Marina with no stat increment or morale drop. Rip.

All the other nerfs should have been there to begin with. DAT tape.
"Please cease with the bumping of this particular issue." #The_Universe

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »
Double nerf on Rhaziel. Rip.
Double cost on Marina with no stat increment or morale drop. Rip.

All the other nerfs should have been there to begin with. DAT tape.

this is just ridiculous. OS is the best faction by far atm.

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »
Personally disagree with marina nerf- shouldve moved to DoD morale increase and cost 3.

She isnt an angel and DoD should get some splash cards. OoS doesnt need this with all their protection and they already splash pretty well.

Offline Weak_Wolf

• In Vino Veritas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 01:46:06 AM »
Not for nothing but... Volatile Genome has been broken for atleast a year now. I dont know if it is because no one plays exile so no one has noticed, or maybe no one has bothered reporting it... But Volatile Genome has been broken for sooo long!

First off it is suppose to infect characteres on BOTH sides of the character killed by it. It only infects the character on the right side, but the character on the left does not get infected. The sides may switch but to my knowledge it only ever infects one character and not two.

This bug makes the card basically unplayable because it is hard enough to get value out of it the way it is written, now that its not even effecting all the cards it should be effecting the card is useless.

Offline Candit

• "I make this game, James." #Poga
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »
Well, if Marina is an Overseer it should at least be an angel so you can use Lucca with her. And those stats need to be fixed. Four drops are already filled in there.
"Please cease with the bumping of this particular issue." #The_Universe

Offline PopeShine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 03:36:19 AM »
I haven't had a chance to test and/or play with the changed cards or see what its doing to the meta, but on paper all of these changes look very good.

Taiga is still strong but definitely taken down a notch in power level. I like that there is a bit more risk and decision making involved to maximise her potential.

The Acquire change is very welcomed. Its no longer a mill card but I'm okay with that. Power level seems more appropriate for a 4-resource common and it doesn't outperform other higher rarity card draw/advantage spells any longer.

Red Tape is a step in the right direction, I think. The card is clearly not as powerful or as versatile but the nerf helps to bring a little more balance to FD and reduces the number of super efficient tempo answers it has.

I'm very happy Marina is no longer an OP 2-resource Factionless card, but the whole design approach to her has been confusing. I still don't understand why she needed to be changed at the time of the Legends balance patch. Her newest iteration is okay, but definitely seems forced. If this desire to create a character with a deploy effect that grants untouchable and extra lives was so strong, why not make a whole new card for it. In a perfect world we'd have the original character stealing Marina and a whole other character properly stat'ed with this untouchable/extra lives effect.

I like the Martyr of Life change as well, limiting the effect to just characters will reduce the power level of the deck and allow for the match ups to have a bit more interaction and gameplay.

All the other changes aren't very dramatic but I feel they're all good decisions.

The one change I don't particularly care for is removing Host to Ancestors from draft. Removing those useless cards from DoD's draft pool is great and will increase consistency but DoD still doesn't have access to enough threats within the class. Perhaps the new consistency will make up for the loss of a draft bomb, we'll just have to wait and see.

Looking forward to playing with the changes, so far the approach to this round of balance updates looks very encouraging. Thank you to the balance team, keep up the good work:)

Offline famouswarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 11:55:50 PM »
Criticisms:

Acquire - If you're going to make Acquire not acquire anything and just have a copy mechanic instead, then you should change the name to Copy, Mimic, Imitate, Emulate, etc or just nerf it by making it more expensive, limit it to one card, give it an external cost like Max Resource or remove cards or something.

Rift to the Old World and Vandalize - Still too expensive.

Draft nerfs - Bans are an indication of a flaw in design. If you have to ban it, then it should be re-designed like the other cards.

Kudos:

Irial - A much needed change. Redundant or "filler" cards are a red flag in the design of any card game. To reward you guys for reversing your "trash" card policy on Irial, I'll go spend $10 at the LM store (IGN FamousWarrior). You'll get more when you make more filler cards relevant again.

The rest of the nerfs and bug fixes - Well thought out. It really shows that you guys care about the balance of the game, almost as if you play your own game.

Offline MakinoMane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
Not for nothing but... Volatile Genome has been broken for atleast a year now. I dont know if it is because no one plays exile so no one has noticed, or maybe no one has bothered reporting it... But Volatile Genome has been broken for sooo long!

First off it is suppose to infect characteres on BOTH sides of the character killed by it. It only infects the character on the right side, but the character on the left does not get infected. The sides may switch but to my knowledge it only ever infects one character and not two.

This bug makes the card basically unplayable because it is hard enough to get value out of it the way it is written, now that its not even effecting all the cards it should be effecting the card is useless.

Don't be ignorant, that being said:

I used 2 copies of volatile genome in my draft deck and every time I used it, I got a field wipe out of it. However, I have also watched a streamer play the card to very different results. When I got the field wipes they were against mostly sleepers and killed the whole field at the end of the turn due to them all being 5hp or less. Maybe, just like with other bugs, it depends on what cards the ability is being used on. Maybe you should write a big report for the card along with a little play text evidence to help them fix the bug.

You will get much better results than this childish and angry post. FYI: I draft exiles almost every single draft and I play almost exclusively in draft these days. Due to how boring constructed has become.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »
Criticisms:

Acquire - If you're going to make Acquire not acquire anything and just have a copy mechanic instead, then you should change the name to Copy, Mimic, Imitate, Emulate, etc or just nerf it by making it more expensive, limit it to one card, give it an external cost like Max Resource or remove cards or something.

Rift to the Old World and Vandalize - Still too expensive.

Draft nerfs - Bans are an indication of a flaw in design. If you have to ban it, then it should be re-designed like the other cards.

Kudos:

Irial - A much needed change. Redundant or "filler" cards are a red flag in the design of any card game. To reward you guys for reversing your "trash" card policy on Irial, I'll go spend $10 at the LM store (IGN FamousWarrior). You'll get more when you make more filler cards relevant again.

The rest of the nerfs and bug fixes - Well thought out. It really shows that you guys care about the balance of the game, almost as if you play your own game.

The draft bans are because some cards just really function too well alone or on the other side function only in combo. You arent totally wrong though some cards definitely need to be looked at because they are wayy too underpowered to be used anywhere