Author Topic: [CDC] Expensive And Worth It [Closed]  (Read 901 times)

Offline Number11

• View Profile
[CDC] Expensive And Worth It [Closed]
« on: March 25, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »
Card Design Challenge – Expensive And Worth It

Design a character that has a cost in the range of 6-10. The various removal cards in the game decentivize the player from using high cost characters. The character designs need to take removal cards into account and be viable and worth including into a deck.

There is more to the challenge, there are also limitations on the design of the card. You can not use the keywords Haste, Charge and Vigilance. The character can not natively have Untouchable or immunity to death like Devil of Despair.

The card can not have a deploy effect that makes the cards worth achieved after the resolution of the deploy effect, in other word if the card does have deploy effect with quick pay off it needs to have low enough impact for its cost. An example of what not to make would be a stronger version of support drone a 6 cost 2/2 that gives +13/+13, on the other hand a 6 cost version of Nysrugh, The Insatiable would be allowed as he still needs to move to the battlefield after using its deploy effect in order for it to have any value.

Cards will be judged on viability as well as how fun and creative they are. You have to post your card idea before Saturday 8. Have fun creating cards.  :)

--- Card Design Challenge Rules ---
1) The Judge appoints a challenge, it can be anything, making new card, redesigning an old one or whatever you wish.
2) All that wish to participate submit their card design. Each participant may only submit one entry per challenge, you may however edit your post as many times as you wish till the deadline.
3) After an announced deadline the Judge decides a winner. The winner then becomes the Judge for the next round, if the winner does not wish to host the next round a runner-up may do so instead.
4) All entries submitted before the deadline are guaranteed feedback, either in this thread or in another detailed feedback thread.

PRIZES
1st place: 3 alt art packs and 3 collection penta packs
2nd place: 2 alt art packs and 2 collection penta packs
3rd place: 1 alt art pack and 1 collection penta pack
All participants who submit an entry will receive a collection penta pack

SUGGESTED SUBMISSION FORMAT
Name:
Faction/Purity:
Type:
Rarity:
Cost:
Morale:
Attack/Health:
Rules Text:
Flavor Text:

At the end of the judging for the fun of it I will reveal my own card following these rules.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:53:02 PM by Number11 »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Expensive And Worth It
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
The Prophet, Ayama
1p DoD
6 cost
10 morale
Unique Character- Human

If a character you control were to die from a nondamage effect or be removed from the game, instead The Prophet, Ayama is removed from the game.

0/10
---
Basically Cassial but for nondamage kill/remove from the game effects.

Protects from Mass Death, Calamity all the things DoD needs protection from. Best if played predictively, but can also be played first for the protection later.

Counterplay involves things like CTA/Box or Death Ray to trigger him early.

DoD is supposed to be the protection faction, I feel they need a card like this.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:37:47 AM by Hiding »

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
Name: Sara, the Scarlet Maiden
Faction/Purity: 1 Sleepers of Avarrach, 1 Exiles
Type: Unique Character - Demon, Undead
Rarity: Epic
Cost: 8
Morale: 10
Attack/Health: 18/18
Rules Text:
Infect, Consume 5
Each time a Character is killed, Sara gains a stack of Bloodrage which grants her additional abilities for reaching certain stacks. Sara can only access these abilities while deployed.
[Up to 3 stacks: Once per turn, you can pay 1 resource to move a Character your opponent controls to the Assault or Defense Zone of your own choosing.
Up to 5 stacks: Sara permanently gains Unstoppable and heals herself to full health at the end of each turn.
Up to 10 stacks: Once per turn, you can pay 4 resources to grant Sara invulnerability to all other card effects until the end of the turn.]

Flavor Text:
"Fleeing to the Wastes after Veroria's destruction, Sara found herself at the mercy of a stray Avarrach virus infection and the torturous game of hide-and-seek the demons played with her. As the last of her humanity was overtaken by the virus and the demonic corruption, she turned into a monster who only hungered for the taste of blood and the thrill of the hunt."

----
Clarification with her additional abilities:
They are cumulative and show up like Agent Zomborg's although she needs to be in play such as the Command or somehow stuck in deploy to have it work.
She will still be affected by card effects that occur at the end of the turn such as Tome of the Dead, Track (and Hunt which occurs at the end of a different turn entirely), poison/immolation effects, Descent into Madness's removal, Demonic Corruption's stat adjustments, etc.

EDIT: Increased stats. I forgot she wasn't in Verore so no surprise Word of Command unless in a rainbow deck.
EDIT2: Reworked to be less dependent on abilities (Chaos in the Ranks, Vigil, Word of Command, Unstoppable, Hehkeem, Fight!, Second Wind, etc etc.) and more self-sufficient. Increased cost, increased stats, increased morale. Stylized to be more like a vampire slowly succumbing to a blood frenzy. Considered card's concept to allow for a beatstick in dual purity deck as opposed to rainbow purity decks. (Sleepers have relatively little to no high-powered cards barring Zomborg who takes time.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:33:08 PM by Prince of Lies »

Offline NTL

• If you think I'm wrong - think harder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »
Name: Marut, Sentry of Balance
Faction/Purity: OOS+DOD dual faction
Type: Unique Character - Angel
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 7
Attack/Health: 14/14
Rules Text:

Flying
Whenever a Character you controll is killed, Marut gains +1/+1
When this character is killed, your opponent loses morale equal to Marut's power and your health is recovered by that amount.

Offline scotho5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
Jekath, The Titan
2p warpath
Unique character-Beast
Epic
10 cost
15 morale
20/20
Unstoppable, Reach
Pay 5, Jekath, The Titan gains +2/+2, and the first time it were to die or be removed from the game this turn, it instead lives with 1 health remaining
Flavor text: "They threw everything they had at the Titan, but when there was nothing left to throw, the Titan still stood tall."
He basically can primal rage himself, but it will only save you from kill spells if you have the initiative. The cost of the primal rage might need to be increased a bit. He's also a bit calamity proof, ( if you can predict it and have the initiative).
He used to not have the first time thing (thanks hiding), and he was completely overpowered and broken without that
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:08:28 PM by scotho5 »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
Interdimensional Monk
2 DoD
Character--Human
Rare
6-cost
6 morale
10/10

CARDNAME cannot be removed from the game. Whenever a card is removed from the game (from play, from hand, from deck, or from the graveyard), CARDNAME gets +1/+1

The world disappeared beneath the monk's feet, the void embraced him, surrounded him, suffused him. And still he stood, defending his post, even as reality fell away.

People trying to make your stuff disappear? Worried about that Calamity? Drop the monk and watch him gain power as your opponent wipes your board that you worked so hard to stabilize in the first place.

I know the rules say no death immunity, but it's not death immunity, just kidnapper, kidnapped, calamity, and even Dojo immunity. A death ray'll take him out. But splitting the universe won't.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:03:32 PM by Benionin »
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Online NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 04:48:39 AM »
The Spirit Channeller
/
Unique Character - Beast
Rare
6 cost
9 morale
6/8

While Spirit Channeller is deployed, it gains an extra life whenever another character you control dies to a non-combat effect your opponent controls.
Spirit Channeller has +2/+1 for each extra life it has.
If Spirit Channeller would be removed from the game it instead loses 1 life.

"Those who were taken by unnatural means are given a second chance, and they give me strength and protection in return."

Basically not only does it resist removal but it's power is directly relative to how much removal your opponent uses, especially powerful with stuff like mass death, that said it's only 1 character so the opponent may still be better off killing off your other units and of course they do still have ways of dealing with it using things like red tape, humble, hubris or zuza.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:54:11 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
Krull, the Cautious
Purity: 2EX
Cost: 9
Morale: 15
Type: Unique Character - Demon
Stats: 20/20

Unstoppable, Consume 2, Exile 7

When Krull is targeted by an ability, the ability is redirected to the character with the highest morale cost you control (other than Krull himself). If two or more characters have the same morale cost, the one being in play the longest will be affected first.

Abilities redirected that way ignore all targeting restrictions (for example zones, subtypes and so on) and text of the new target.

Characters you control with less than 6 morale cost have their morale cost raised to 6 as long as Krull is deployed.

"Of course you can count on me. I'll be right behind you." - Krull

Comment:
The type of demon that hides behind the highest profile character available and throws them under the bus before he risks to be hit by something. Has a protection against snipes as long as you control other characters, but protecting him can become a morale heavy investment and if he runs out of people to hold in front of himself...well, out of luck. Of course you can't really buff him either. And he is still vulnerable to untargeted abilities like MD.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:05:30 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 04:26:49 PM »
Jiro, The Renegade Hero
Purity: FD/DoD
Cost: 9
Morale: 14
Stats: 21/17
Unique Human

"He killed my men. I will see them avenged."

Reach

Jiro takes 4 less damage from all sources.

Whenever Jiro enters combat with another character, remove that character's text and buffs.

The first time Jiro is affected by a kill effect, instead he loses -9/-3. If Jiro is removed from the game by a targeted ability, instead he moves to your support zone.

Comment: Obviously a shout-out here to Ben's character but also a VERY strong hybrid character. (And irrefutable proof that I love FD/DoD and want to see it become viable). This card can be extremely potent and a STRONG RESPONSE TO GENESIS as it will neuter an entire genesis assault line, regardless of whether or not they have flying. Additionally, he has the ability to survive one kill effect, though a second will still eliminate him making vulnerable to removal without being easily cast aside by it.

PS: See? He CAN kill Aberion :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:18:58 PM by ecliptix »
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
Name: Bob, The Dragon Mage
Faction/Purity: Factionless
Type: Unique Human
Attack/Health: 12/12
Rules Text: When Bob, The Dragon Mage leaves the deployed area through any means, search your deck for a character card with the 'Dragon' subtype and put it into play in your support zone.

Offline ArcaneAzmadi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 07:53:48 AM »
Name: Mark IV 'Hellfire' Battle Tank
Faction/Purity: 1 Flame Dawn, 1 Verore
Type: Character - Artificial
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 8
Attack/Health: 10/18
Text: Flame Strike 10. Whenever Mark IV 'Hellfire' Battle Tank engages in combat, it does its damage to all characters in the opposing battlefield zone instead. If it hits the enemy fortress, it does its damage to all characters in the enemy support zone as well.
Flavour text: The dark sorceries of the Verore and the warlike inventiveness of the Flame Dawn combined to create a mechanical monster more hellish than the worst demon.

Yeah, it's expensive and dies as easily as any other big character (which I'm pretty sure was the entire point of the challenge) but one hit will take out your opponent's entire line. Anything that doesn't die outright will burn to death in short order. And if your opponent decides to just take the hit, they lose everything on their support line. Deal with it or die.
Always expect the worst and you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Vuurjopi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
Name: Trampler of armies
Faction/Purity: 2 WP
Type: Giant
Morale: 11
Attack/Health: 10/15
Rules Text:
When this card enters combat with a character of 2 cost or lower, it kills that character.
If this creature is targeted, ignore it's effect and give this creature -4/-4.
Flavor Text: Aberions men would all be slaughtered, without even touching the giant.

This is my middle finger to all token decks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:30:41 PM by Vuurjopi »
I will build a great wall and the exiles will pay for it! ~ Gao Han

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 02:38:30 AM »
Name: Trampler of armies
Faction/Purity: 2 WP
Type: Giant
Morale: 11
Attack/Health: 10/15
Rules Text: unstoppable, when this card enters combat with a character of 2 cost or lower, it kills that character.
Flavor Text: Aberions men would all be slaughtered, without even touching the giant.

This is my middle finger to all token decks.

Most GI tokens cost 3 actually. This mainly wrecks sleepers and flame dawn.

Offline Vuurjopi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 11:25:50 PM »
3 would be OP (I think)
the most important token generators of GI (splitter light and scouting mission) produce tokens with a cost lower than three.

I changed my submitted card. Now it takes removal into account.
I will build a great wall and the exiles will pay for it! ~ Gao Han

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 12:33:51 AM »
3 would be OP (I think)
the most important token generators of GI (splitter light and scouting mission) produce tokens with a cost lower than three.

I changed my submitted card. Now it takes removal into account.

I think splitterlite makes 3 cost tokens. I remember because i had a deck using evellee that utilized them