Author Topic: [CDC] Forgotten Powers [Closed!]  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Forgotten Powers
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 08:01:26 AM »
Name: The Authoritarian
Faction/Purity: 1 Cult of Verore, 1 Overseers of Solace
Type: Character - Unique, Human
Rarity: Epic
Cost: 1
Morale: 25
Attack/Health: 0/9
Rules Text:
Opening
You can only have 1 copy of this card in your deck.
While on the battlefield, any other cards in play have their effects negated.
Pay 4: Activate an ability of a target Character in play
Pay 6: Activate an Ability card from any graveyard
If this card is not on the battlefield, it dies and is removed from play.

Flavor Text:
"Free will is an anomaly that needs correction. Respect order and it shall respect you." - The Authoritarian

I don't know if I worded things right.
Limit on card copy, I think it's right, right? Otherwise, if not specified, people would put more than one copy and they all get played when the match starts, right?
The "silence" effect only works when the card is on the field. So while Ability cards will be affected, Characters with Haste, Vigilance and Charge will still function as normal. Effects that resolve from or in the graveyard such as Black Bind Witch, Infested Abomination and self-resurrection effects still work as normal.
Its Pay 4 ability, I hope is worded to only apply to Character Abilities that can be activated such as the Aletas, etc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:42:25 PM by Prince of Lies »

Offline marvelouschester

• Tournament Organizer
  • Down With Big Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »
*bump*
Hmm...
Oh, let me guess...
Snatched by a shadowy limb, and dragged off to the past?
...Yes, of course.
Exactly what happened to me... heheheh
...We are both strangers in this strange land.
But, at least now there are two of us....

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »
Edited description and increased Morale cost of the Authoritarian.

Online Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 08:00:33 AM »
Demon of Greed
2 purity Exiles
Character--Demon
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 2
Morale: 5X
Attack/Health: 6/6

When you deploy CARDNAME, select a number. CARDNAME gains Plunder X and its morale cost is set to 5X.

Don't get too greedy...
Quit while you're ahead...
When will you have enough?...
Careful, there...

Cowards.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Online Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
Demon of Greed
2 purity Exiles
Character--Demon
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 2
Morale: 5X
Attack/Health: 6/6

When you deploy CARDNAME, select a number. CARDNAME gains Plunder X and its morale cost is set to 5X.

Don't get too greedy...
Quit while you're ahead...
When will you have enough?...
Careful, there...

Cowards.

Endgame choose something crazy like 20 then use Descend into Madness= mill yourself to death

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
Wow, you didn't make it easy for me...there are a lot of entries that i actually like and it was difficult for me to choose just the best 3...and then even a ranking between those 3. Great work everyone!

ecliptix

TameRlane

MerliniX

Vuurjopi

marvelouschester

NatoPotato

Hiding

NTL

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »
ORISOLVE

Assamit3

MakinoMane

mew28

tmoua805

Prince of Lies

Benionin

3rd place

2nd place

1st place:

Congratulations to the winners and thank you for participating. Selecting the winners was very difficult this time, i had around 5 cards in mind that would have deserved a top 3 place, so it could have gone either way. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:27:56 AM by ToxicShadow »

Online Hiding

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Forgotten Powers [Closed!]
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2017, 02:10:52 AM »
That dude had Opening

the authoritarian dude
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:15:56 AM by Hiding »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2017, 02:15:34 AM »
You are right. I completly missed that. I am very sorry. He wouldn't have ranked among my top picks anyways, but i ll see to it that he gets a full review like he deserves.

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2017, 05:54:05 AM »
You are right. I completly missed that. I am very sorry. He wouldn't have ranked among my top picks anyways, but i ll see to it that he gets a full review like he deserves.

Next time, omit the bolded segment when you fail to include someone's entry because you didn't see it. Although, knowing that my post was before the last entry, I should be more skeptical with bias.
But there is no need to disclose your personal rankings regardless if you were thinking of top 5 or top 10. The Top 3 have already been identified.
This is a contest governed by the informed judgment and subjectivity of a single person.

Just a feedback with how this contest is operated, maybe the judge can show how much an entry scores in the criteria. So future contestants can improve from their entries.
I mean, you certainly say that you're judging by Balance, Creativity and Flavor which you did on reviews.
But what I see in the winning cards is mostly how beneficial they would be (especially to established players) when they are converted into actual cards in the game. So is Balance 60%, Creativity 30% and Flavor 10%?
Or maybe you should just replace Flavor with a different criteria if Flavor is not compulsory.
I know running contests is not an easy task. But coming from a new player who abandoned the game in a month last year and only returned like... three months ago, this does not feel like a warm welcome back into the game and much less than the community.

Anyway, congratulations to all of the winners!
Well done on your efforts. It has been nice to know that the forums aren't completely dead.

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »
"It combos well with a multitude of cards without being overpowered"

Um, correct me if I'm wrong but, demon of greed(set X to 20) + infiltrate + called shot(or other kill/deal 6+ damage ability) = 1 turn insta-win. (unless they have Solace Gate)

Offline NTL

• If you think I'm wrong - think harder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2017, 09:01:27 AM »
there is no need to disclose your personal rankings regardless if you were thinking of top 5 or top 10. The Top 3 have already been identified.
This is a contest governed by the informed judgment and subjectivity of a single person.
There is nothing more to say on the subject.
Judge has no obligation to even comment entries outside of his top 3, he could just comment all the rest of it with 'I just like 3 ideas more' and no one should complain.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »
"It combos well with a multitude of cards without being overpowered"

Um, correct me if I'm wrong but, demon of greed(set X to 20) + infiltrate + called shot(or other kill/deal 6+ damage ability) = 1 turn insta-win. (unless they have Solace Gate)

You are absolutly right. The idea of infiltrating that one didn't even occur to me. With that combo it would be OP of course.

@prince
All I wanted to say is that i wouldn't have ranked your creation in a top 3 prize rank, that is all. I didn't mean to be rude with that or anything, all i wanted to express was that you didn't miss out on a prize. Of course it sucks that I somehow messed up and didn't see the keyword (and I don't even know how i managed to not see it, I even checked multiple times before ranking it invalid), but i can hardly undo that part.

As for the rest, yes, the contest is highly subjective, especially with only 1 judge....after all I can't test balance, and most people will not submit cards they personally think are bad.

I usually look at the cards and think about how they would behave in game. That of course is only an estimation based on my experience with the game. And it can lead to oversight when some combos do not come to my mind, like the infiltration combo Nato mentioned.

What happens here is a bit like when a new set is released, and you see your opponent pull off a simple effective combo with a new card that seems obvious, but you kind of never thought about it.

I can of course attach numerical values to how i rate the cards, but then again, what is the difference? All of the numbers would be kind of arbitrary since the quantification for creativity and balance without testing (and flavor anyways) would also be highly subjective for something complex as this cards and another judge might give entirely different numbers in all categories to the same cards.

And lastly, I am not sure what you mean that my choices are 'especially for established players'. I don't think that I picked the best choices for existing meta-decks or the cards with the highest skill cap to be used.

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 02:10:19 AM »
Congratulations to the winners!

The upgraded prizes will be given out in the next couple of days.
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Online Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
CDC Judging is and always has been a subjective matter. It's something you ought to accept when you participate.

That being said, I totally forgot about Infiltration when designing my card.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream