Author Topic: Buying specific cards?  (Read 903 times)

FranktheFrank

Buying specific cards?
« on: January 31, 2017, 02:18:53 AM »
Hey, long time player poking around. I'm not sure if these even get read or if this would ever happen, but as it is, its a puffy to get any certain card that you may want. Its a huge roll of the dice, and while its interesting that I can see every card in the deck builder, its entirely useless if I cant card hunt with any sort of precision.

I am aware that some vets will trade or gift cards, but frankly I think this is a feature that's long overdue.

Hell, a few more ideas while im here, since the forums are wonky and this is a guest account, I wont be able to respond to this thread anyways.

1. give us some way of selling cards we don't need/have too many of.
2. give access to unlimited of the unlimited cards. If I want to make a deck around a mechanic from unlimited, then I'm going to need a lot of that card. Not all unlimited cards are provided from the starter decks.
3. if you give access to unlimited of the unlimited cards, remove those cards from packs. Nothing worse then pulling an unending drone for the 30th time. Especially now that packs are 5 cards.
3.5 If theres an issue with people stacking too many of a card in one deck, make a cap on deck size? idk maybe that's already a thing.
4. maybe add some sort of card combiner or something. feed in x old cards to get 1 random new card. idk, its just an idea.

that's all I got in terms of ideas, but please add some sort of card purchase mechanic for singles. As it is, its nearly impossible to make a swarmer deck and every friend I try to get into this game bails when they realize building a deck they like is gonna take them a century of farming.

Offline Sephorin

• View Profile
Re: Buying specific cards?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:22:44 AM »
Hello, Frank. Just a quick comment on your ideas.

It would be neat to be able to "sacrifice" a certain combination of cards to get a new random card of a certain rarity. Fun stuff. The only downside: it would discourage veterans with tons of cards from freely giving away commons, uncommons, and rares to new players.

As for the general difficulty involved in getting a certain card you need for your deck, this is a "feature" of all collectible cards games. That's just how it works, for better or for worse. If you need a particular card you can:

1. Buy packs and hope you get lucky.
2. Trade for the card you need with another player.
3. Purchase the card you need from another player.

Again, as far as I know, that is how all collectible card games work. Assembling a collection is part of the game, and for me it is a big part of the fun. You could also have a game where everyone has free access to all the cards, but that would obviously create a very different type of experience.

Offline marvelouschester

• Tournament Organizer
  • Down With Big Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »

It would be neat to be able to "sacrifice" a certain combination of cards to get a new random card of a certain rarity. Fun stuff. The only downside: it would discourage veterans with tons of cards from freely giving away commons, uncommons, and rares to new players.

you say that, but I personally would love to get rid of all these "soulbound" cards I can't give to new players
I don't need 7 luccas nor do I wan anymore resilient slime XD
and vet's probably would only use it for getting rid of they're soulbound cards
Hmm...
Oh, let me guess...
Snatched by a shadowy limb, and dragged off to the past?
...Yes, of course.
Exactly what happened to me... heheheh
...We are both strangers in this strange land.
But, at least now there are two of us....

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
and vet's probably would only use it for getting rid of they're soulbound cards

Its the same debate as always. Let me show you a picture:

The untradeable, unneeded and totaly useless cards i payed money for are bothering me way more than the 14 soulbound cards!

There is a reason this stuff is stored on a trash account - noone wants it. I dont even wanted to see it on my Main Account!

It would be a waste of time, to find around 330 Newbies are willing to take a 3card playset of the Soldier of Fortune. Last two times i were gifting cards to new players i didnt even had a response... oh sry, MarvelousChester was so kind and responded with a nice chitchat. But still, didnt had the chance to get rid of useless cards :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:38:04 PM by OneTwo »

Offline marvelouschester

• Tournament Organizer
  • Down With Big Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
Happy medium then.
a way to trade soulbound cards in for IP or destroy a certain amount for a higher rarity or even the same rarity.
kinda just want to get rid of the extra soulbound cards I have XD
Hmm...
Oh, let me guess...
Snatched by a shadowy limb, and dragged off to the past?
...Yes, of course.
Exactly what happened to me... heheheh
...We are both strangers in this strange land.
But, at least now there are two of us....

Offline Vuurjopi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
This is a problem almost every TCG tackles in it's own way. Currently IW only offers the trading as a way of dumping useless cards. Right now, we find out that that's not enough.

We could tackle it like Hearthstone does, the sacrificial system.
But there is a problem with that.
If you (as a designer) are interested in the trading aspect, something like a sacrificial system would undermine that. Cards get a definite value then, so no one will give away cards, or put any real effort into trading.

Infinity_disciple has an interesting point to say about this in his video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU2YMq2XXJ0
If you don't want to watch the 10min vid. He proposes that you can exchange large numbers of the same card into a special edition card. This way, even vets would be happy to get another wealthy noble, so they can get a neat special edition wealthy noble.
I will build a great wall and the exiles will pay for it! ~ Gao Han

Offline NightSilv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
Maybe a noobish question, but i play from yesterday. So i can't destroy a cards for building new one like in every card game? I could only get it from boosters or pre-build decks?

Second one - i get many boosters from quests or promo codes. But none of them are tradable... So only a boosters bought from cash i can sell or give anyone?

Third. Is there any list of cards i can get from so many types of booster? It would be helpfull to deicide which one invest to for getting specific cards for deck :)

Thanks for help!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:17:11 PM by NightSilv »

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »
That system sounds pretty easy for me. It makes the already popular and playable cards even more valuable, and doesnt change much on the trash cards which noone wants.

When popular cards get more valuable, noobs will have a harder time to get a hand on it and that even amplifies the frustration of opening a bad pack with 5 garbage cards.

Or did i miss something?

Sure, its not easy to find something that supports trading, doesnt cut Yodomares money supply too much and still gives some merit to the players.

Lets think about a Slot machine - any card (SB or not) can be used:

1 Legendary = 2 Epic Tokens
1 Epic = 1 Epic Token
5 Rare = 1 Epic Token
10 Uncommon = 1 Rare Token
25 Common = 1 Rare Token

Rare Tokens allows you to play for Misc Items like Booster, Rift Run Tokens, Avatars, Battlefields
Epic Tokens allows you to play for Penta Packs.

Both with a chance to failure!

What happens? Having trades might be more relevant, cause a noob can exchange a unplayable and right now untradeable Epic into worthy lower cards! If there will be a Penta Pack out of the Epic token is still left to some degree of luck, and if the Penta Pack drops better than the used Epic is 100% up to luck! Might be interesting for Vets and Premium Collectors.

The Rare Tokens are interesting for both. Newbies having a real hard time to farm 2k IP for Rift Run (lets face it, only mode with fast queue!) and Vets simply trying to reroll commanders as often as possible for high runs or checking the drops for Premium Cards!

From my perspective, still the best way to support the core experience of the game, having advanage for everyone and might not harm the income of IW too much. Cause right now it feels that the IW income is centered around DLCs, Alt-Arts and Pre-Orderes. Selling more packs might be a possible impact, cause having 24 useless Commons makes it maybe more tempting to buy a fast pack for reaching the 25 faster with even the possiblity of a good card drop.

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
Maybe a noobish question, but i play from yesterday. So i can't destroy a cards for building new one like in every card game? I could only get it from boosters or pre-build decks?

And other players ;) But yeah, correct.

Second one - i get many boosters from quests or promo codes. But none of them are tradable... So only a boosters bought from cash i can sell or give anyone?

Right, all the free cards are Soulbound. But beside from cash you can farm IP (F2P currency), those cards are tradeable as well. With IP you are able to buy complete Rift Run decks as well, but thats a thing i would test maybe a little later. Its a draft mode.

Third. Is there any list of cards i can get from so many types of booster? It would be helpfull to deicide which one invest to for getting specific cards for deck :)

http://infinite-network.com/

Take a look at the Card Sets. Any = Collectors pack, everything else in the drop down is from oldest to newest, starting with IW2013 as "core set" and Rebellion was the last release.

Offline NightSilv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »
Thanks a lot! This explains everything to me :)