Author Topic: Mainboard vs. Sideboard, What do you choose?  (Read 595 times)

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mainboard vs. Sideboard, What do you choose?
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
Topic for discussion:

What kinds of abilities/ effects do you folks include in general sideboarding?
I mean beyond things for your bad matchups to take some of the bite away?

I like to sideboard artifact and location removal for those DoD matchups and when possible Shattered veil because i hate Log decks. (looking at you Nuggs! grrr :P)

MAY ALL YOUR PENTA PACKS HAVE LEGENDS AND MAY ALL YOUR RIFT RUNS BE REWARDING!
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: Mainboard vs. Sideboard, What do you choose?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »
I usually include Grave Robs in my sideboard. They shut down the old Death Trap archetype and aren't useless against Deathblast. Other than that I think about what sort of more niche tools I could use to patch up weaknesses my deck might have in certain matchups.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Equastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:43:50 AM »
I usually sideboard the following things:
Location removal
Artifact removal
Graverob / Purify / Rancid
Single target / Command removal (kidnappers / kidnapped by demons etc.)
Calamity

Then there is some niche stuff that differs by faction that I can carry in sideboard.
Examples include: ancient aether (WP), shattered veil (GI / Ex), disruption sphere.

Of course there are some exceptions here and there. At least 1 calamity should be in mainboard for 2/3p FD probably. Also single target/command removal you should probably have at least 1 of in every deck. And then there are certain cards like consecrate which are so multi-purpose you should probably not carry sideboard-only.

I am a large fan of limiting myself to 40 cards in the main deck to get the most consistency. I've heard people say they'd rather go over 40 cards to get some of the stuff I typically sideboard into the main deck, and then throwing the stuff out they don't need during the sideboard. I can imagine they will have some dead draws in the first match, which may cost them that first match. At the same time, when I am facing a deck that relies heavily on artifacts/locations/grave, I am likely to loose the very first match too. I'd rather just keep my tempo up and have less dead draws though. But that's just a personal preference thing I think.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:49:06 AM by Equastro »

Offline SamPan, Who Nobody Likes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 02:08:13 AM »
Graverob, artifact removal, and these new Rebellion legendaries are pretty nice, if you have a card that isn't useful vs ur current opponent u can just pop in one of the legendaries for some added power in the general sense or even completely change what the goal of your deck is with them if your normal win condition is being countered too much.

Like if u know ur opponent has calamity, u can totally fark him up with martyr of chaos. But if you are running into faster decks you can just leave it out. These rebellion legendaries are so so good!

Offline artistx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:27:59 AM »
Artifact Removal, Anti-Flying and I don't see the grave as a threat nowadays so I normally focus the rest of my sideboard towards my worse matchups.. It's best if  you understand your bad matchups and try to shift your odds a little.

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
Graverob, artifact removal, and these new Rebellion legendaries are pretty nice, if you have a card that isn't useful vs ur current opponent u can just pop in one of the legendaries for some added power in the general sense or even completely change what the goal of your deck is with them if your normal win condition is being countered too much.

Like if u know ur opponent has calamity, u can totally fark him up with martyr of chaos. But if you are running into faster decks you can just leave it out. These rebellion legendaries are so so good!

Martyr of chaos is also great against slow control decks like mill or morale drain. The only issue is verore kidnapper.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 01:30:29 AM »
That's a pretty broad question with a surprising simple answer.

Your sideboard should include cards that compensate for the weaknesses of your mainboard.
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline MakinoMane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 05:13:04 AM »

Martyr of chaos is also great against slow control decks like mill or morale drain. The only issue is verore kidnapper.

Then timestopper or just simply playing it when your opponent has initiative is enough to guarantee it goes off. Against a slow deck like mill you can always play it on the oppoentns turns.