Author Topic: The IW Player's Profiles  (Read 1850 times)

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The IW Player's Profiles
« on: December 08, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »
Hello IW community! Scroll down for links to our newest interview!

In keeping with the tradition of the illustrious IW GAZETTE started by Wayfinder1026 i plan to, through a series of voluntary Q's and A's write up an article profiling one of our players. Each weekend i'll send out some questions to an interested player and, hopefully, get a response within 1-2 days; next i conduct a quick personalized Discord chat Q and A, then write up a brief article based on the answers and send it for said player's approval within the following 1-2 days. Upon final approval, i post it to the forums at the end of the week and begin the process again!     

This series will be open to all players from casual noobs to seasoned rift running Vets. Hopefully this can be an insightful article series that will help foster an even greater understanding of who we all are as players by sharing our stories, and sharing with the community some of the thoughts and play styles of our players.

As said this will be strictly voluntary and no question will be overly intrusive or personally revealing; and i will not post the final draft without the approval of the player being interviewed.

SHARE YOUR STORY! THE SPOTLIGHT IS ON YOU!

If YOU would like to be interviewed for the IW Player's Profile; Please PM me through the forums and YOU TOO could have your very own Player Profile posted on the forums and shared with the rest of the IW community! CHEERS!

GAME ON!
-TAMERLANE-   

Click a link, or, scroll on down, to read our interviews with players from around rifts!

An Evening with Benionin. 2 parts.

How Large are Your Nuggets?

Rebellion! A Blast from the Past.

IW Player of the Year: 2016 Edition!

The Casual Side of IW with ShamanExile

Addressing the Lord of the West: Akihisa

An Interesting Interview with Interesting_Socks

The Friendly Beast of the Rifts: Drewmb10

The New Scrublord: Newport5000

Coming soon!: YOU!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:34:48 PM by TameRlane »
MAY ALL YOUR PENTA PACKS HAVE LEGENDS AND MAY ALL YOUR RIFT RUNS BE REWARDING!
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The IW Player's Profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:38:23 PM »
What's up my Ninja? An Evening with Benionin.

Greetings fellow rift runners!

For the first interview of the IW Player's Profiles I had the privilege of talking with our resident Lore Master, "the Archivist" himself, Lore Ninja, and all around "chill dude"; Benionin.

Ben has been playing IW since late February and early March of 2014, just after Infestation came out. He got his start in the world of TCGs when he was "a wee lad" by collecting Pokemon cards and playing Yugioh. He learned of MtG in high school and has since moved to the digital realm, playing a bit of Faeria, and of course our beloved IW.   

For those who don't know; Benionin is our community's go-to writer of IW lore; and the list of his contributions to the community is extensive! Earlier this year he overhauled the IW wiki's lore pages and earned himself the unique in game title "the Archivist". He is the author of the IW novella "Into the Fray", about 10 short stories and 5 parody songs, contributed a campaign review and has also written a couple of "How I would write a [faction] campaign" forum posts. Ben has run several tournaments and is  also the creator of, and is currently running the "So You Think You Can Run a Faction?" forum game; "a roleplaying scenario where players are on an administrative council, running a faction and fighting for inter-dimensional dominance." 

I began our interview with Benionin by asking him how he plays IW.

what first attracted you to IW?

I got steam a few years back because my brother wanted me to check out the Mighty Quest for Epic Loot. While I was perusing the Free Games I came across Infinity Wars and saw that it was a card game that was free and full of strategy--the simultaneous turns in particular were fantastic. I looked at it, knew I had something to do at 9 the next morning, and decided that I would pull an all-nighter. This was right after the Infestation release.

What's your favorite feature of IW?

The trouble with Infinity Wars is that it has so many great features and so many drawbacks. Looking at other dTCGs I just can't stand them because they feel so simple, so strategically flat, in comparison to IW--even though they're often far more polished, with fewer bugs and such. I love the game's story and the gameplay too much to really leave.

How often do you play?

How often I play will vary. There will be days when I sit down and play for hours on end and weeks when all I do is log in. This often has to do with how busy I am with homework and other things, like writing projects, but I try to get in a few games every day. Since my play has so much variance, though, I can't really say "when" I'm usually active with much confidence.

How many wins do you have in IW?

The quest system tells me that I have 2186 wins, so I would guess somewhere between 2200 and 2300 (given that I was playing for a week before the game started keeping track).

Do you have any advice for new players?

You're going to lose a lot in the beginning. Stick it out. Hop on the forums, ask people questions. We're really quite nice people and we'll be glad to help. A lot of us will just give you free cards, especially at the lower rarities. IW is a beautiful game with loads of potential.

What's your favorite faction(s)?

My favorite faction is probably the Descendants of the Dragon. I love inevitability, the concept of holding on long enough and then having a guaranteed long-term win, so the playstyle fits (even if they aren't necessarily the most powerful of factions). I'm also a huge fan of the pseudo-Asian theme of the DoD.

Which play mode do you enjoy the most?

I'm a Constructed guy. I don't play ranked. I haven't really liked the idea of getting super competitive hard-mode, being a casual player at heart (if I still even qualify as being a casual player at this point). More to the point, I enjoy playing funky decks in normal and running up against other funky decks, rather than a stream of tier 1 meta nonsense. This is why I've only run into Death Blast once, and in an un-optimized shell that I managed to beat quite easily.

What's your most favorite deck that you play?

I have a couple of decks that are near and dear to my heart. The Evellee Hellkeeper deck has been a mainstay of mine for years, and I'm familiar enough with it to pilot it to success against many tier 1 decks in IW's history. I thought the combo of tutoring out the 0-cost Demon tokens was fantastic when I first ran into it and in particular love having a Verore deck that is so aggressive, which most people don't expect. It can also go long, however, and win with control. One of my other favorite decks is my Klingon Dragons deck. The command zone is Daode, Yuanshi, and Gowron, and you can probably guess where things are going from there: control the board with AoE and get free 11/10 tokens from Gowron every other turn. Fun times.

What's your favorite win strategy/condition?

That's a tough one. On the one hand I enjoy crushing my opponent's morale, but hitting the fortress for that 100 damage is also fun. As far as alt-win-cons, I love Dugg and used to have a 2 Overseers 1 DoD deck that uses him to generate loads of health and win. Most of my decks these days go for the throat with damage though. I'll talk more about fun strats in the next section.

Are you working on any new deck ideas currently? if so, do you mind sharing what it is?

One deck that I've been fiddling with for a while revolves around Mindbender, the card advantage machine. It's a double Flame Dawn single Exiles deck with Mindbender/Kali Purifier/Klore command that focuses on using Flame Dawn cards for early pressure and to stumble back blockers so Mindbender can get in and start drawing me cards (and discarding my opponent's cards). I think the current build is actually pretty strong, though I don't know how it would do in a best of three scenario.

What's your favorite card? card animation? character?

Oh boy! what to choose? I'm going to list off a bunch but limit myself to one a faction.

-Warpath: favorite art, Kills by Leaping. We need more tigers. Favorite card, Dragon of Autumn Wind. Finally, a dragon I can justify ramping into.
-Genesis Industries: Give Him a Jetpack! Need I say more?
-Cult of Verore: Favorite card, Hellkeeper. Favorite art, Demon of Fear
-Flame Dawn: Baldo. Favorite art would probably be Firestarter though.
-Descendants of the Dragon: Favorite card, Spirit of the Ancient Guardians. Favorite art, Avatar of Lingbao.
-Sleepers of Avarrach: The Last Sleeper (well, 4th to last Sleeper)
-Exiles: I love Mindbender as a card and have tried to get him to work since before Ascension came out when he was first previewed.
-Overseers: Favorite card, Xi Ascended (sneaking in another DoD card, ha!). Favorite art, might actually be Agent Coyle, Ascended.
-Federation: Make it So, Number 1
-Klingon Empire: Favorite card, Gowron. Favorite art, Bat'Leth.
-Factionless: Favorite card, Conscripted Militia. Favorite art, Alt-art Calamity

Overall, though, my favorite character would probably be Orion or Gao Han--or even the mysterious man in the Calamity art who I've named Ethan (his name isn't actually Ethan). Okay, so I'm clearly bad at choosing just one favorite thing.

When you interview a writer like Benionin, you get a lot of material to work with.  All of it ends up being too great to eschew and therefore you end up with a 2 part interview.... :)

Scroll on down and  continue reading for the second part of our interview with Ben where we discuss his prolific writing and get to the lore talk. 

This series will be open to all players from casual noobs to seasoned rift running Vets. Hopefully this can be an insightful article series that will help foster an even greater understanding of who we all are as players by sharing our stories, and sharing with the community some of the thoughts and play styles of our players.

If YOU would like to be interviewed for the IW Player's Profile; Please PM me through the forums and YOU TOO could have your very own Player Profile posted on the forums and shared with the rest of the IW community!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:17:41 PM by TameRlane »
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »
An Evening with Benionin 2: May the Lore be with You.

Over the course of our chat i found out about the mind of a Loremaster and what inspires and motivates Ben in his quest to deepen all of our experience with the Lore of the game we love so much.

"I like to think of myself as a warm, welcoming voice in the community and an advocate for positivity. One of my personal aims is to keep the air clear of pitchforks, with mixed success. My main role in the community is that of content creator and positive voice, rather than any gameplay exploits. I'm also one of the top ten postingest people on the forums." -Benionin

Many people know you as IW's resident lore ninja... How'd you get started doing that?

"I've always been a story-based guy in the way I consume games, so I gave myself the title of LoreNinja when I made my forum account. Since then I've really grown into the title and figured out what I'm actually talking about, and I'm amused to see that it's finally catching on...Ever since I started playing the game I've been soaking up details about the lore, and over time I suppose I have become one of the three most knowledgeable people in that field, with WWKnight and Grinnin_Gin being the other two."

So what was it about the IW lore that first intrigued you?

Hmm...On one level, I just like stories, learning about them and writing them. But on another I think IW actually has a really intriguing and amazing storyline. The idea of these infinite parallel dimensions, each shaped in different ways, is a great starting point and the baseline for the lore is really solid.

You're very active on the forums...participating in card design challenges, starting an alt art challenge, writing novellas and short stories, running a fan fic roleplaying game, Initiating this year's "Player of the year awards", running unique tournaments, and even just general lore based conversations from in game linguistics analysis(!?) to FD poetry <3. From were do you get the inspiration and motivation?

I honestly can't really say where I get my motivation from. For the stories I'll just have an idea and I'll run with it for a while, see how it works out. The Lore tournaments are a bit more indepth and far more stressful to run, but I hope that people have enjoyed them. Some of my ideas don't really pan out (Flame Dawn poetry, for instance, was rather short-lived), but some of them work out really well. “Into the Fray” is an interesting example in that I first started working on it, left the first chapter up for a year without thinking about it, and then hammered out the rest of the chapters relatively quickly. Like I said before, I enjoy writing and hearing stories, so that's a great deal of my motivation. If I can come up with an idea and run with it, I'll do it. If I get bogged down, I'll turn to something else until I get inspired to work on that project again.

How many short stories have you written? i think for IW i counted 15 (with parody songs)?

I've probably written more about Infinity Wars than any other person, with a novella (Into the Fray), a variety of short stories, several parody songs, and another novella in the works (it's halfway done). I'm not sure if there's 15 for IW; I can think of another 2 in one universe, and some 4 or 5 in another. Mostly I do novels (or novellas), and I'm currently trying my hand at a spot of epic poetry.

Epic poetry! for IW? or something else?

It's about one of the main characters in the Iliad, Diomedes. He was a prominent figure during the Trojan War and my favorite character, so I've been toying with the idea of writing him an epic for a while. Finally decided to do so last Thursday.

"1. Sing, O Muse, of the valiant Diomedes,
Of the man with the great war cry.
Let pen and prose, poem and page,
Tell the tale of Grecian rage
Of long journeys at sea, and judgments of gods
Of battles against titanic odds.
Wars and men and many things
Take flight from epic's wings."
That's the first eight lines

You are truly an interesting man Ben.

Thanks! I suspect that most people are, if you talk to them enough.

Are you a writer by trade?

I'm currently a senior in university studying History, but writing is one of my main hobbies. I've written a lot of stuff--my Infinity Wars content is really only a small portion of what I've done. I haven't published anything though.

You wrote the IW Novella "Into the Fray", what is it about?

“Into the Fray” recounts the beginning of IW's storyline from the point of view of a lowly aspirant of the Flame Dawn. They go to war with Genesis Industries, pass through the Rifts to the Untamed World, and fight the Sleepers. It ends with the arrival of the Overseers, something of an angeli ex machina, but in fairness that's how the game's lore works.

Can fans expect a real word novel for their bookshelves at home?

Of my IW content, probably not. I post everything online for free so people can enjoy it and have fun. Of my personal content, not for many, many years. If Yodomare wants to team up with me to publish something I'd be happy to help.

Any plans for a sequel?

Yeah, there are. I also started work on some backstory stuff, like the story I wrote about Vlad.

You mentioned another lore based novella/short story, care to "spill the beans" and tell us about it?

Spilling beans, eh? Well, I'm currently about halfway done with something I've titled “The Darkest Hour.” While “Into the Fray” tells of the opening of the rifts from the Talich point of view, “The Darkest Hour” will be telling the story of Reish.

What are your ideas for future projects? if people are interested, how can they help you out?

There's another story I have a lot of ideas for but haven't started on yet which will talk about one of the Genesis Industries liaisons to the Flame Dawn and how Damian's troops got the nickname "Aberion's Wolves" I want to pick up the audio initiative again, hopefully before the end of the year. The parody songs are a lot of fun but I've been doing them a capella. And there are always going to be stories bouncing around in my brain (though much of my time right now is occupied by the Faction RP and the end-of-the-semester crunch). As for ways people can help out, reading and giving me feedback is always wonderful. Asking for particular stories will give me ideas of what you want to read, that sort of thing. And I can always use some art. I've really wanted to pair drawings with my work but--I don't know if you saw my sketch of the Elementalist--I don't think my own art is really good enough for it.

With the new rebellion launch what can we expect in the way of new lore?

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure. I've been busy and unable to really start new IW projects, so I'll have to go through the set and come up with some ideas. Candit v Rita might be a good one, but I always liked Candit better so it'll be sad to write. I think I promised Aberion in his Christmas letter thread that I'd write his memoir, so there's that. I want to keep building up the lore's foundations before really moving forward. That's why I started working on The Darkest Hour before the next Talich-side novella.

Many players already consider you the go-to for offical lore. have you been contacted yet by LM/YODO to be the offical lore writer of IW? would you accept that mantle?

I would definitely accept such a job.
You heard it hear folks! (Quick get LM/Yodo on the phone!)

So how goes the fan fiction RP?

Pretty well, I think. I had to find another player for the WP pod since a few had to drop out, but they should be back on track now. The Flame Dawn Pod's been doing fantastic, but there's some internal strife that's getting in the way of progress. They're almost done with "regulation" time though (the first 10 turns), so we'll see. I've got the first turn typed up and ready to go for the DoD pod, but they've only got 2 players right now which is a shame.

Are new players still joining? will there be another round?

If a pod can get three players I'll start it up and run it. There are some four or five that have one or two players interested, but so far only the two are running. But if the community wants to participate I'll definitely do it. I'm trying to open up new opportunities to engage with the game and for players to have fun even when they're not logged in.

Where did the idea to start the RP come from?

Well I was perusing another game's forum and I came across a similar thing (it died out after the second turn or something like that, which was a shame). I figured it would be fun to try to convert it to Infinity Wars and some 24 hours later had a write-up and was looking for friends to do the playtest pod.

...and now your experiment is on the front page of the game. Kudos!

Lets see... You've run/ helped create several tournaments... notably the Lore and Iron Willed Chef tourneys;  are they generally well recieved?

The tourneys are fun, but player turnout is pretty low. Part of it is that it requires more investment in terms of time--you usually can't just hop online Saturday morning and decide to play. I'm not sure what the reception's been like, but I personally preferred the Iron-Willed Chef tourney.

Are there other tournament ideas coming down the line?

Honestly they took a lot of effort to run--I had to recruit players on my own for the events, make sure they sent in their decklists, come up with the special rules, etc--and after all of that I didn't personally get anything other than more stress. I've wanted to do another one but I'm not sure when I'll have the time. I think I'll stick to the Iron-Willed Chef style and work on refining that, though.

Final questions!

"Ask away."

Who is your favorite original character?

...Definitely Knight-Commander Damian from Into the Fray.

Care to elaborate on why Damian is your favorite?

I can always elaborate.

I really enjoyed writing the characters of Damian and Vlad, so they're probably two of my favorites.
The thing about Into the Fray is that each character was designed to fulfill a certain role. Endymion, for instance, represents the good aspects of the Flame Dawn, the hope and honor sort of stuff, and is countered by Vlad's cynicism and coldness, while he's always burning hot and ready to dive into the situation. Haraldur was initially set up to be a sort of mentor figure for the group, an older and experienced but smallish and unlucky sort of fellow who could teach them about being in the Flame Dawn. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get that to play out very well and when I introduced Damian I had him more or less take over that mentor role, like during his discussion with Endymion while he's on watch. More importantly, I got to use him as a mouthpiece for a metric ton of inspirational speeches, which was loads of fun.

DANGER! SPOILER!

Favorite characters not from Into the Fray would probably include Orion and the characters from Lanstead Besieged. Trying to portray an eccentric and engergetic prodigy who was ready to take on the world was a thrilling challenge, and Henry and James were just nice, normal characters--there'll be more about James in the future, too. Surprisingly, as much as I like the story of the Elementalist, I don't really care for him much as a character. He's practically a robot in monk's robes. His characterization has a strong feel to it, like I've said, but it's not a very friendly feel.

What was your favorite story to write?

Oooooooooh
That's a tough one. There are so many good ones, you see. I have a particular soft spot for The Elementalist, but The Genesis of an Industry was also really enjoyable. Really, if I didn't like writing a story I wouldn't have finished it. The Art of Defense, for instance, was both a riff off of Sun Tzu, a fanfic, and (in part) an actual strategy guide. Really intellectually satisfying. And the stories about Ethan were fun to come up with. There's some other stuff I've been working on that I can't tell you about that's been loads of fun to write. But if I had to choose I think I'd go with the Elementalist. It's such a clean story and I think the character has a strong feel.
Clearly, what we've learned is that I'm bad at picking favorites.

i must say Ben, this interview has been both an honor and a pleasure. I'm a fan of your work and i found your answers to be wonderfully revealing of not only your background as a player, but also to the inner workings of the mind of IW's famous loremaster. Thanks for all the hard work you do to improve this grand game. Keep it up!

And there we have it; The profile of our beloved Loremaster Benionin "the Archivist". 
If you haven't read any of Benionin's work i strongly recommend you do. His stories are great reads!
You can find them on the forums and he has done us all a favor by collecting links to all of them hyperlink to audiodrama initiative post

Did you make it all the way down this "Yooge wall" of text? 
Yay! You did it!
i must admit i did not quite understand how much work Ben has done in the IW community, and in doing the research for this interview i was feeling overwhelmed with the amount of content i had before me. Ben is an extremely prolific writer which is why this became a two part interview. However, although long, i feel it's a great start to the IW Player's Profiles. Thanks Again
Ben!

I'd also like to thank ES for his help and support in getting this project started by helping me contact Wayfinder.
And of course thanks to Wayfinder1026 and The Gazette for helping me get a sense of what i was getting myself into; doing the first interviews, revealing the community interest and give me a few pointers along the way.     
Last but CERTAINLY not least thanks to you reader! come back next week for another IW Player's Profile!

If YOU would like to be interviewed for the IW Player's Profile; Please PM me through the forums and YOU TOO could have your very own Player Profile posted on the forums and shared with the rest of the IW community!

“...to steal a war cry from one of my other favorite games, battle on!”  -Benionin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:18:04 PM by TameRlane »

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 08:40:08 PM »
Next week, The IW Player's Profiles will be talking with one of our moderators from the Brotherhood of Dawn: Largenuggets! If you'd like me to ask Largenuggets any questions on your behalf please PM me on the forums...and check back at the end of the week for our full interview... Game On!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 10:43:17 PM »
Excellent work! TameRLane is a courteous and great guy, and I enjoyed my interview with him.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline TheDarkPrince

• The Darkness Rises
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 05:56:08 AM »
I enjoyed
My Death Be With You

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 03:49:20 AM »
very awesome and nicely done sir
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 02:00:51 AM »
How Large are Your Nuggets?: Talking with Giants.

This week, The IW Player's Profiles interviews one of our 4 volunteer community moderators; diamond border player: Largenuggets

The best way to understand who Mr. Nuggets is to our community was beautifully summed up by Adorabear when he nominated Largenuggets for the “2016 Player of the Year” award:

“I would like to nominate Largenuggets for his remarkably sized nuggets and his 24 hour stream which was the most fun I've had in a stream possibly ever. He is a top tier competitive player. He is always fair and upstanding. This year he has tirelessly volunteered his time and effort to the community as a mod and I know more than most how much he goes in to bat for us players when giving feedback to the dev team. He is a gentleman and a scholar. Outstanding! “ :) :) :)

Largenuggets has been playing IW since just after infestation was released  in early 2014. His first taste of TCGs came at a very young age; (secretly) experimenting with gateway TCG  Yu-Gi-Oh on his neighbor's porch. In high school he got hooked on MtG, and peer pressured all his friends into playing as well. Seeking an ever greater rush, he expanded his horizons to include other games such as Duelyst and Faeria with on and off again IW use, becoming a heavy IW user since getting involved in the community and tournament scene over this past year.

“I remember the feeling of finally “getting gud” as I started regularly predicting Mass Deaths and outplaying my opponents, and it was extremely addicting.” -Largenuggets

How does Largenuggets cope with this addiction? Read on to find out how a pro does it.

How often do you play IW?

I usually play every day, but it varies on my schedule and how I’m feeling. Sometimes I’ll be on literally all day and sometimes I’ll just log in for a couple hours at night. Oftentimes I’ll just have the game open in the background while I do something else so I can keep an eye on global chat in case anybody is having issues or any new players need help. I’m usually active in the evenings EST.

I have just about 3000 wins and just over 1500 hours in IW.

What's your most memorable win?

My most memorable win is pretty much any game that I beat another skilled player in either a tournament or ranked, because those matches are always hard fought and feel very awesome to win in. I wish the IW ranked system worked better to encourage top players to play each other more often, because right now it’s far too risky to play someone of similar skill when near the top of the leaderboard. If I had to pick a single most memorable win i would have to say it would be a game I played against a player named Lamba with some number at the end, which went for about 2 hours in a best of three because he was playing morale burn and I was playing log. I don’t remember why it took so long, but it felt good to finally win.

My favorite factions are Cult of Verore, Descendants of Dragons, Flame Dawn and Genesis Industries. I’m a control player by heart even though my allegiance lies with the Flame Dawn.   My least favorite faction by far is sleepers. They are so boring and uninteractive to play, and are just not fun at all. Warpath is probably my second least favorite faction for similar reasons, although, they are much better than sleepers. I would probably have less than 20 wins with sleepers if not for draft and my virus deck.

What's your favorite card? card animation? Character?

My favorite card is Logrithmatron, my favorite animation is Martyr of Chaos, and my favorite character is Xi. I love everything about Logrithmatron as a card, I really like the animation on MoC because the blades are so elegant and she looks really cool, and I think Xi is just a really cool character because she is waifu #1 and makes spirits and stuff. Kali is also a close second on the waifu scale.

His addiction  is truly disturbing.

Many players know that you have a stream channel http://www.twitch.tv/largenuggets when do you stream is there a set schedule?

Yes I do! There isn't a set schedule for it quite yet because I just got started back recently with the addition of a new computer, but it's on my to-do list.
The best way to stay up to date on when I'm streaming is to follow me on twitch so that you get an email when I go live. Otherwise you can always just message me in game. I often times go live if someone requests that I do.

A while ago you did a 24hr(!) stream; How did it go? was it well received?
are you ever going to do another?

Yes I did! It was extremely tiring, but was a huge amount of fun and very well received. Adorabear said it was the most fun he's had in a stream ever, and I can say it was definitely the same for me. I gave away tons of cards (most of which were generously donated!) and overall had a ridiculously fun time. I had an average of about 20-30 viewers for the whole time which was a huge success for me. I would absolutely do it again, and was hoping to do one for the rebellion release but that was ruined because my computer broke. I especially want to do it again because I didn't end up actually lasting the full 24 hours last time, only about 22. I kept falling asleep at my keyboard towards the end, which was really funny but not the best thing to do haha. Next time I'll get more sleep the night before and buy more energy drinks so I will be sure to stay up for the whole thing

I really enjoy my Logrithmatron deck, which uses Enyah to get all the best removal and win conditions from every faction and Rita to stall until Log is big enough for lethal. It is an extremely fun deck to play because the first 8 turns are a control matchup with you on the defensive, and the last few turns are all about looking for the right opening to attack with Log while avoiding the things they have that can kill it. I thoroughly enjoy the high risk gameplay of having everything in your Log, and it performs surprisingly well against most decks that don’t have a direct way to counter it.

Seen any other good decks/strategies recently?

A player named Dibe is using a really cool deck with Shirazious + infected purifier + tormented thrall for a pretty explosive and cheap early game. I’ve seen this type of deck before, but he beat me with it recently in ranked which impressed me because it seems like just a fun combo deck but not competitively viable. Giving up a commander purity is a pretty big drawback, but that deck utilizes it very well.

At this point in our interview, I began to dig deeper to find out more about who this IW addled Largenuggets was within our community.

Tournament play is my favorite format and then ranked. I’m a competitive person by nature and feel as though the game is at it’s best when I am facing a truly challenging opponent and need to think carefully about each and every move.

You've run a lot of tournaments. How many have you run?

Not that many actually, I passed on my duties for the monthly league tournaments after a little over a month after getting them started because it was just too much of a commitment. I've probably hosted about 5-10 and I've participated in about 50-60 in total according to my Challonge account.

How did you get started running tournaments? Did you create the current weekly tournament format?

I got started when I became a mod. I was very passionate about tournaments and encouraging the competitive scene. I came up with the idea of a monthly tournament league, with one huge grand prize at the end, then Drew and I figured out the details and got it rolling. So in short, yes!

Your forum and discord name is signed [BoD] for those who are unaware what is the BoD? How did it get started?

BoD stands for Brotherhood of Dawn, and it's an unofficial competitive team that I founded with ES and Dogeee sometime last year. Right now it's mostly just for aesthetics and to show our allegiance since there isn't any support for competitive teams in IW, but it's still a lot of fun!

Does the BoD recruit? How does one join the BoD?

At this point not really because it's mostly for fun, but if you are interested in joining you should start by participating in those weekly tournaments and climbing up the ranked leaderboards. Even though our team isn't technically official, we still wear our name with pride and only accept the best of the best!

So, you're one of our moderators. How/when did you become a moderator?

I became a moderator about 3-4 months ago. I could be off about that timing actually, I'm not really sure when it was. Hacker messaged me in game and told me that Crestmoor was having him get together a small team of players to help manage the community and keep an eye on global chat, and Hacker thought I would be a good man for the job. ES and I were the first people he asked, although ES didn't decide to do it for a little while later. It sounded like a lot of fun and a way to give back and contribute to this awesome game and community, so I said I would do it.

"Manage the community and keep an eye on global chat" was there a particular problem at the time? I don't notice trolls or what have you.

It wasn't so much about trolls, more just to provide a more constant connection between the devs and the players. This is a 2 way connection because it both increases the response time for the devs towards bugs and other issues, and allows the players to have a way to know "what's going on" behind the scenes.

What does the "job" of being a moderator entail? Do you get special powers?

Technically, the only thing we need to do is watch global chat and the forums and report any issues we see to the developers. That being said, we are in a unique position because of how closely we work with the developers which allows me to have some influence in certain design decisions. So far in my time being a moderator I have got a pretty decent amount changed ranging from preventing a patch from being released too early to completely reworking the ranked rewards and tournament rewards. As for actual power, I have certain privileges on the forums and on the discord channel, but in game the only difference between me and a normal player is that my text is blue. Most of what I do is simply help players through issues, and make sure their voices are heard by the devs, as well as my work on the balance team. Although it may sound cheesy, my most powerful tool is my voice and opinion, and I'm certainly not shy about voicing it.

You said you're on the balance team. How did the balance team get started?

The balance team was started by ES pretty much immediately when he became a mod. He popped into the group chat with the devs and was basically like "Hey guys, I want to get together a team of elite players to look over all the older cards and make the bad ones playable" and they gave him the go ahead. Then it was all about choosing who would be on it and getting access to rebellion as our first priority.

And what does the balance team do? How does it work?

It's quite simple really, we basically just discuss each card on our balance team discord and try to come to an agreement on what should happen with it. Once someone has a solution that seems well liked, they propose it and everyone either clears it or says what they don't like about it. We try to get a unanimous decision on everything, but sometimes that can be difficult as you might imagine.
Then once we agree, we put it on a spreadsheet of all the cards we are working on. Once we have a decent amount of cards done I then have a balance call with Ian and personally pitch each and every idea to him to try to convince him to implement our ideas. This can be difficult, but Ian is a reasonable guy once you get to know him and so far we have had pretty good success with him listening.

So, that's the life of a veteran player deeply involved within the IW community.

“Well, that's all well and good.” I hear you new players saying,“ But you promised advice! I'm still learning to dodge Mass Death and use the trading post.” Fear not gentle reader, for I was also able glean some sweet pro tips for you. Read on!

You clearly have a deep love for this game and are frequently helping new players with their deckbuilding problems; what would you say are the most common pitfalls in new player deck building?

I would have to say that it's bad consistency due to either being way above 40 cards or having only 1-2 copies of many cards, and having a poor choice of commanders. Commanders are something that is pretty unique to IW, and having a good set of commanders is extremely critical to building a successful deck. It's important to have a good early game in a tempo based game such as IW, and the command zone is the perfect place to secure this. Avoid having commanders with the same resource cost if possible because they will compete with each other when it comes time to play them. An example of good commander curve is one of my favorites, Mechborn + Kali + Splitterbot. This command zone allows you to always have a guaranteed play on turns 1-4, which makes the deck very consistent and hard to disrupt in the early game.

Do you have any other advice for new players?

Keep on at the game and pay attention to what tools different factions play. It may seem difficult at first, but high level play in IW is incredibly fun and intense; and if you keep practicing and learn what all the cards do it is absolutely attainable. Don’t be afraid to ask for help as well, feel free to add me in-game if you have any questions or just want to play a few rounds. Another big tip which is one thing that separates a good player from a great player is paying attention to and taking advantage of the priority. Most abilities are better used either on your priority or off your priority depending on the situation, and it plays an enormous role in competitive play.

What kinds of decks would you suggest for new players?

I'm definitely going to get some hate for this. I would recommend playing Tinkercide or morale burn if you like Verore. Both decks only require a few rares and are quite competitive. If you don't like Verore then you can try out 2GI/OOS as well because that deck is also fairly cheap and versatile to make barring the Martyr Golems.
Good lists for all of these decks can be found on KeyRanAway's meta deck tier list forum post which is here: http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=66582.0
this post is a bit outdated because it was made before rebellion, but it's still very relevant for new players.

You began authoring a series of forum posts explaining the IW meta decks. With the launch of Rebellion do you plan to continue these kinds of posts?

Oh man I almost forgot about that! I really want to continue working on that. I let that project sorta slip through the cracks, but It would be great to continue because I think it would be quite beneficial for players who want to get involved in the meta to really understand what is good and, most importantly, why it's good.

What are your thoughts on how Rebellion is changing the game?

I think it's a bit early to tell, but generally speaking Rebellion is a very interesting set. Many of the cards in Rebellion have very unique and new effects to them, which makes it both an odd set and an interesting one. I think we will see a lot of cool decks start popping up soon, especially involving the overseers.

What do you think is in store for IW in the future?

Lots of new player experience (NPE) updates. The new player experience is not that great right now, and now that ranked is in a relatively stable state with monthly resets and rewards, Yodomare is going to be turning their support towards the new player experience in an effort to increase player retention. Things such as the two new campaigns being released and high value DLC’s tailored towards new players, and daily missions are just the beginning of these changes. Other things on the agenda in the upcoming months include a more in depth UI rework, especially for the deckbuilder.

How come you aren't nearly as salty as some of the other vets?

Hahaha! This is an interesting question. I think it's a combination of my temperament and the fact that I'm a mod. I've always been a very easygoing person and it takes a lot to get me upset. I do get quite frustrated at times, but I tend to keep my feelings to myself or between me and my friends so that I don't cause damage to the community. Additionally, because I'm a mod I have the ability to actually make a difference in the game and channel my frustration directly towards the developers in a (hopefully) constructive manner. So basically I do get salty, just not as publicly and loudly as some of the other players do.

Also I haven't lost all hope yet, which many of the other vets unfortunately have. Much of the reason for that being that I am involved with the dev team and am able to see progress being made while most other players don't get that privilege

It was a pleasure doing this interview. I learned a lot about IW and the research led me to a lot of helpful advice and posts. Largenuggets is a very helpful and pleasant player to talk to; and if you come across him in game, be sure to thank him and the balance team for their work... and watch out for that Log deck!   

Thanks for taking the time to do this interview Largenuggets.
and Thanks Merlinix for the yellow questions suggestion!

If YOU would like to be interviewed for the IW Player's Profile please PM me in the forums and YOU TOO could have you're very own Player Profile posted on the forums and shared with the rest of the IW community!

"I am the Cowmmando"-Largenuggets
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:22:10 PM by TameRlane »

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 02:01:40 AM »
Next week The IW Player's Profiles will be talking with an old veteran of the community, and, member of the now disbanded Infinity Council: Rebellion! If you'd like me to ask Rebellion any questions on your behalf please PM me on the forums...and check back at the end of next week for our full interview... Game On!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:14:05 AM by TameRlane »

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »
Rebellion! A blast from the past.

This interview is the history of Rebellion (the player not the set). Long ago, before Yodo1, before the balance team, before the invention of yellow buttons, there was small group of players who did QA and balance work on behalf of us all. They were known as the Infinity Council, and Rebellion was one of them.

Like many of us Rebellion began his foray into the TCG world way back in the day by trading Pokemon cards. He tried out some MtG a a local FNM, however, he was put off by some less than friendly players. He later found Yu-Gi-Oh and played in a few regional tournaments. One day, in August of 2013, while watching a streamer promote Rise, he found himself drawn into the world of IW. Although not as competitive as some of us Rebellion has a deep love for this game that keeps him playing after three years in. 

"I'm something of a lurker on the forums since I don't post often and in game I don't really speak unless it is in trade or PMs." -Rebellion

Getting the opportunity to talk to someone who has played IW for such a long time i could not help but to start this off with a little bit of IW history and Rebellion's perspective of the evolution of IW. 

You were a member of the old Infinity council. How did that happen?

Out of pure luck of the draw I will assume. Back then the council was new(ish) and they were looking for players to volunteer for the position. I volunteered because of my 3P DoD experience, being still somewhat a faction labeled as a splash faction at the time I was one of the few ones still doing it since other 3P DoD people had left due to reasons I never learned about. I made my case once and it didn't go through, another set passed and more openings came so I tried again. The second time I got in and joined the council to see what I could do for the game. I want to assume I was picked for the council because I played 3P DoD and was one of the oldest players in the game (playtime not age) so occasionally they would ask me, specifically, about cards for the faction and thoughts that would involve them.

For those who don't know what was the Infinity Council? What was it's purpose?

To be honest I actually forgot the original purpose so I will say what we did instead. We would have access to a separate version of the game and play with the new cards and features early. It was our job to find as many ways to break things to have them fixed and try again. Beyond that we were shown a few early ideas for cards and we had to comment on our thoughts of them, that was why they wanted some top ranked players and a few from all around.

You've been playing IW almost since it first came out. How much has the game changed for you?

It has changed in a few areas. I think the community has evolved from what it was before for better or worse; but the game itself I feel, has not always moved upward. For me specifically the game feels better for card variety especially in my favorite faction but in terms of meta health or even deck variety I want to say not that much? It might be due to my playtime and deck of choice but it feels the same a bit for what I remember, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Have the changes been mostly positive or mostly negative in your opinion?

I would have to say mostly positive, many things have been made that haven't sat well with those I know that play the game sure. Still what I know is being done isn't so much as to fix the now, but to ensure that the later comes in with better ground to stand on. The bug fixes are great, the new UI at least looks slightly nicer, however, the lack of updates for some things is terrible but I will take what I can get.

What's your favorite feature (game play wise) of IW?

I was thinking a lot about this question actually. It was originally a toss-up between the purity system or the simultaneous turns till I thought of the game in terms of the platform it is on. Simultaneous turns really is something that can't be enforced or really made in a traditional tabletop setting so for the game to have it and take advantage of the digital medium is my favorite feature.

What keeps you playing IW?

Part of it is my investment into the game. Not in terms of money spent but more of the time I have put into it. I have put more time than most MMOs I've played into this game and I want it to be worth something in the end. Again not in terms of money for account value or total card worth but just that the time spent here doesn't end in a bad game. I loved this game when I first found it and I still do now, I want to see it come back in full swing showing off what it can do but only time will tell and time isn't on the game's side frankly. This game has deep ties to me; and a few others, which leads to great memories and deep wounds over the course of the game's life. The reason I stick around despite having little time is because I want something better, to see the game I imagined come full circle to give me a new spark in all this.

Funny enough I play vs AI the most lately. I don't touch Ranked because it is mostly decks that hard counter my play style or are too fast for the kind of game I seem to play. I mainly play vs AI to test decks but after a certain point I did it to stress test them since some of the AI matches cheat by giving units effects that shouldn't be there; for instance against the WP AI, Hekheem gives all units unstoppable till the turn AFTER he is deployed. He can stay up there forever and everything he throws out will have unstoppable. I also wished at some point they would make a real AI match that isn't playing with predetermined cards hitting the field in order.

Would you classify yourself as a casual player?

At the moment yeah I would. I don't visit the game as often as I would like; but I still always think of the game that I remember and what I wanted it to be back then. Before I had the game open for hours sitting in trade chat or going into games with my poorly made decks just to see what others did and have a good laugh. Now I mostly go in to get the log-in rewards and play a few AI matches to test some deck ideas. For now my time isn't my own anymore so while I want to blame my casual status on that, I have to say some of the love has died out over time, due to decisions I can't comment on since I don't know everything about them.

My most memorable win is the one that really got me known in the community at the time. A popular streamer was taking on challengers and doing random matches to pass the time when he ran into me. I was still running a test version of my Ju-Lin deck and he was playing what was being thrown around as the most competitive deck at the time with 3P WP. It was a relentless assault to defend against but after a good 13ish turns he surrendered because he was going to lose via morale and Ju-Lin in the next turn no matter what he did.

What's your most memorable loss?

The most memorable loss is probably one I played in a random match, I was against a flying deck that was 2CoV/1Dod. The guy moraled me quickly but also used cards like Hellmouth and a few others to spawn flying units that I couldn't interact with because of his own DoD buffing spells and the lack of reach on ANY DoD cards at the time aside from Eagle-Eye. I stalled for a single turn thanks to Jialan but he didn't let it last the 2 more turns for Ju-Lin. The reason I remember it was because the other player bragged about beating me and how it was completely fine because DoD was meant to never interact with the air as their one weakness. When I pointed out how many others had easier access to flying and flying removal he responded that it was OK because they were real factions that played the game while DoD was un-interactive and was a bad faction that shouldn't be in the game. At that point I wrote him off as salty and tried to forget it. Still it let me know how people felt about the faction only a few sets after Rise and how a few felt about the state of the game. It made me want to change some stuff so from then on I applied to the Council when I could, it took 2 tries but I did make it.

My favorite faction is Descendants of the Dragon.  At the time I started splashing factions was a really popular thing with only 2 sets to pick from. A few factions could go 3 purity to unleash hell and others could splash to keep up. When I was new and asking around, i wanted to go 3p but didn't want to play FD, CoV, or WP. When I brought up DoD they laughed and said it was a splash faction that couldn't offer much outside the 1p setting. I played them 3 purity as a bit of a challenge to show they can do something aside offer other factions their powerful 1p cards. I've played 3p DoD since then and racked up a number of wins with laughable results for wins and losses.

So lets talk DoD.
You told me you play DoD in a very specific way... what is it?

People would say I played a "mean" DoD variant a few times but for a while, I never understood why. After a few victories I learned it was because I used Ju-Lin and found a way to make it more consistent. This of course didn't last long with new sets coming around but for a time, I did personify what people hated about the faction. I would build almost a fortress of creatures and had Ju-Lin sit at the back of it all writing a story where I bravely won the battle and reduced their morale to 0.
This isn't really the case now since the game has sped up a bit to make him not as great as before but I still stick with 3P DoD and try to make things work out.

Why do you play that way? Instead of say 3 avatars or 3 sages? (or even a splash, would you care to elaborate?)

Why? Because I can! Back when I started, the game didn't have 3 avatars, it had sages in a stronger state, but they didn't lead to much. They could keep your units topped off and chip people down but couldn't defend against a rush or mitigate the WP stomp. I went with Ju-Lin because he was a clock once he hit the board . When people saw him in the command they knew what I was going for and were sometimes reckless in trying to make sure he never had a moment in the defense zone. Even to the point that some would death ray him rather than the 24 HP immovable with little effect. I felt I started to prove that DoD could work in a 3P setting; not just being a splash faction. At some point I started to adopt the belief that all factions should be able to stand on their own and be somewhat competitive. GI could do it, WP could do it, FD could do it, CoV could, why couldn't DoD? I started to think in terms of how cards could benefit or hurt the 3P builds rather than how they effect a 2P build. Even now I hold this belief;  but admittedly, it's because that is what the game knows me for. People that recognize me see me as the 3P DoD guy so I feel a bit obliged to play it and give them a good match (and maybe even a show of power). It's also a bit of me being stubborn and not wanting to change after collecting all I have for the faction. Got every DoD card in plat and that wasn't cheap, I'll be damned if I'm not going to stick with them.

So what tips on playing Ju-Lin or even DoD would you give to others?

On playing Ju-Lin...ever played a souls game? It will feel like that mostly, death after death. It will feel crushing, it will sometimes feel unfair and make you frustrated, but stick with it. When you do get that win it will all be worth it and teach you a bit more on how to make it work, just remember to tweak your deck to be something better from it. I went the path of making a "jack of all" deck that could win vs. almost any faction (aside from OoS...flying puffys) rather than a focused one to win vs certain match-ups.
As for DoD in general, be patient. The faction isn't the quickest and their cards aren't exactly cheap to play on the field. The faction takes quite a bit of knowledge to make your cards count as they have cards with great value and as a whole can pull a victory from some of the crazier situations you can find. They have gotten more tricks up their sleeve with new cards; but just remember, so has everyone else. Don't get too crazy.

You run a YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/19rebellion91 what sort of games does your channel feature?

Oh god, this question. XD So far my gaming catalog isn't long but it has a few games I have enjoyed quite a bit. As it stands now I just play games I enjoy and whenever the game offers character creation I get people involved. I let people that comment give me a class, race, weapon, stat distribution, skill list, whatever the game allows and I have to work with it.  Games like Phantom Brave, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, The Guided Fate Paradox, Mugen Souls, Makai Kingdom, .Hack//G.U, Valkyria Chronicles, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth, and a few more. This really is a loaded question you asked here XD.

How often do you release a video, is there a set schedule?

I TRY to do a video every day (Monday through Friday) but with time being scarce for me even that is taking a hit. Also I do have a belief in my channel, that those who enjoy my content will find it; if people had an interest in what I do making videos they would find me over time by finding games they like that I have played. As such I don't actually promote it in videos or even in passing unless questioned about it. Still, so far, I do stream every Saturday and that is just for fun to play random games that people have thrown my way. They do get uploaded to YouTube eventually but the pace for that one is even slower. At the moment, I'm doing Persona 4 Golden after many requests so I'm stuck with that game for at least another 2-3 months XD

A couple years ago you began to make an intro to IW YouTube series. Do you plan on doing more of these?

Oh dear god, you found that!? XD
Well...maybe? I wouldn't mind doing more of them but it would mainly be a matter of do people want to see it from me? I know for a fact there are more people in the community with a better reputation and whose word carries more weight than mine. So to have it come from me would maybe not have as much attraction and therefore not be worth the time?

You will lose, and depending on what you play, you will lose often like me. In my first maybe 30 matches I didn't see a single win. It took some thinking and patience to finally get 1 and when I did it felt amazing. This game as it currently is isn't forgiving and can be considered almost trial by fire. Still the foundation is here for something great so if you stick with it you are bound to have some fun and maybe meet a good bit of people you can call friends. Don't be deterred by the blood in the water from old wounds the playerbase has; it's bad, but it could be worse. With new people at the helm, we can only hope they saw what didn't work before; and know not to take the road that has proven fatal. Of course, I'm being optimistic here but I really do have hope for the game.

What are your thoughts on how Rebellion (the set) is changing the game?

I actually haven't played around with it enough to really say. I haven't gotten in enough PvP matches to come to a conclusion; but from my experience I'm seeing a bit more variance. I haven't run into many of the same decks in a row and I've seen a few decks come out of the woodwork, to good effect, thanks to the set. For me, this set has done a good enough job to bring DoD some new life; but for other factions I can't exactly say.

Has the new Rebellion launch changed your game play at all?

Somewhat, it didn't change much of how I already play (both offensively and defensively); but, it did give new tools to flex DoD's muscles with. Some cards came out that helped the wall or the offense slightly and more has come to make the enemy offense or wall worse.

What would you like to see changed or upgrade/ updated?
As a long time player i feel like you can offer a unique perspective.

The UI could use some love aside a new coat of paint, the client itself could go for a bit of a makeover down to the code itself, the game could use quite a few things. To put it bluntly, I would like to see changed what was promised so long ago. I remember hearing talk of a new client being made to iron out bugs almost entirely. I want the story to become a bit more of a central point; not just explained in passing by campaigns but actually a presence. I can only think of these from the top of my head but just this would be enough for me to be content for quite a bit.

What do you think is in store for IW in the future?

God willing... a better game. Less bugs, that redesigned client that was mentioned maybe a good year and a half ago, maybe mobile if they figure it out (I played the beta version of it and I can see why it didn't progress that far), and as strange as it sounds hopefully a better community. There are wounds that run deep here for many that I can understand, I'm one of them believe it or not. Still, with things changing many are quick to point out only the negative of the new groundwork rather than seeing that something new is being built here so we can only hope they build it right rather than quickly and poorly; something we all have seen done before. I hope the game can rise from the ashes of what it once was and really hope everyone involved can see what the game can be without also seeing the painful road that will have to be traveled.

This interview is like a player's time capsule. Rebellion has a deep rooted love for IW. His history with the game offers us a chance to look back at all the changes that have happened and to look forward at all the work that still needs to be done. Hopefully, we can all love this game for as long as Rebellion has and share in his optimism for the future of IW.   

If YOU would like to be interviewed for the IW Player's Profile please PM me in the forums and YOU TOO could have you're very own Player Profile posted on the forums and shared with the rest of the IW community!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:50:31 PM by TameRlane »

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »
After three successful Interviews, i've decided to take a short holiday break. But come on back in January for more IW Player's Profiles! We'll start up again in January, with a rearranged post format and more interviews! Enjoy! Happy Holidays!   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:09:55 PM by TameRlane »

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »
IW Player of the Year 2016 Edition!

Greetings Rift runners!
Welcome back from the holiday season. i hope you all had a wonderful time and i hope that your 2017 year brings you, IW, and all of us, unending joy and prosperity!

This week we get a special chance to talk to our IW 2016 Player of the Year: Mew28!

An avid Flame Dawn fan, Mew28 has been playing IW since just before oppression came out in June 2015. Before Iw Mew had played several differnet card games. As a child he played Pokemon TCG, having never read the rules at first he mostly just made them up as he went along playing with his friends. Eventually, he learned the rules and started playing a little more seriously, but eventually stopped because he never really liked the energy system. After a brief foray into Yugioh he had to move on. He played MtG briefly; however, he ran into the same resource/mana/energy problems that drove him away from PokemonTCG.  His next stop was Hearthstone; after hearing about it, Mew quickly "got hyped" and signed up for a closed beta key. He recieved his closed beta key, began playing, and Hearthstone became his favorite TCG for awhile. Although, after the 'GvG' expansion Mew had had enough of Hearthstone and was ready for something fresh.
Enter IW.

"So after a while I found IW it seemed like it had everything I was looking for in a TCG. A friendly player base, real trading, scaling mana, and great card art. It was pretty much the dream TCG for me. "-Mew28

So, here we are. If you don't know Mew28 or why he won Player of the Year, perhaps MerliniX's post on Player of the year voting 2016 can give you a bit of an insight.

"...All of us who have voted for Mew sincerely believe from the bottom of our hearts that he is both completely deserving of this title, and also encapsulates the entire state of IW for the past year in his victory. "

Be warned reader... Mew 28, although he's player of the year,  has not mastered spelling; leading us to begin with this wonderful exchange:

(anon asks) Will you ever learn to spellcheck? You know Discord and the forum has a spellcheck function right?

I do use spellcheck just I often mess the word up so bad even spellcheck can't save me. Also in discord I just don't bother reading over it at all.

Want me to edit the spelling and such or just leave it for that Mew28 flavor everyone loves?

Did you fix it for the other people?

Yes.

Then no.

ENJOY!

We all know how you became the POTY, the community voted for you; but in your mind WHY did you become POTY? What did you do that made you stand out?

I made the rock bottem post back early summer this year. This got me the reputaion of bing one of the more negitive players.
Merlin and most of OTK voted for me because they were unhappy with the game
I am fairly nice guy in game as well so I guess I could have goten some votes for that
Thats why I think I won

You said you quit IW before, when was that?

It was just after the nerf to infected purifyer.

Is that what made you quit?

It was a contributing factor. The game also felt rather stale at that time it had bein mounths since the last update.

What brought you back?

I still loved the game and kept tabs on the fourms. One day I decided that I was sick of lurking and figured to hell with it I will not quit over a few bad card chances and started playing again
That was also eanoth of a break that the game felt alot less stale.

Do you plan on staying with IW now that you've been voted POTY?

Defeantly.I can't think of any card game I would rather spend my time playing
And the community here is great even if it can be a bit of a salt mine at times on the discord

Do you still think IW is "rock bottem"?

Nah even at the time I did not truely belive it could not have goten worce. Iw is a great game at it's core.

In the past year you've been very outspoken with your critizisms of IW. Have you seen any positive changes in the past year?

Sure we have had a few their is less bugs. We get gold tokens now and well it is not the best set ever rebelion has bein a nice meta shift. For a while their was a great stream of communication with the devs. Their was one ad witch well it sucked it at least was an atempt at marketing.
Also we stated to get LM funded tournys witch is something we did not have at all back in 2015
Their defently was inprovemnts even if they were not what I was hoping for

What are your thoughts on the rebellion release? How do you feel about the cards and their impact on the game?

Well I am glad to get some new cards and their are quite a few I love to play with and againt like host of the ansestors and helix worm. Some have bein a bit more questionable for the health of the game such as death blast. I must say it over all is an inproment for me at the time as it is at least  change however some cards were defeantly dispoint ments sucha as rbal Lil and Syn.

What do you think is in-store for IW in the future?

I personally see the game closing sometime around september this year.
What I am hoping is this game picks up some steam and really takes off. I personally think IW is the best TCG available at the time other than the bugs and some of the questionable changes that have happened as of late.

So what keeps you playing IW?

The main thing that keeps me playing is trying out new deck combos and collection cards.. Currently I am trying to get 103 Aberion’s so if he ever became unlimited I could run a max sized deck of him. Well I am fairly sure it will not happen I still do it in part to just have a goal in the game.

How often do you play?

I play almost every single day for an hour or more. I am most active from 8 to 10PM est. However I am the IW discord most of the day.

I have 2026 wins at the time of writing this.

My favorite win condition is probably a buffed up Aberion leading an attack. However when I am playing a more competitive deck I like to run a rush deck where you reliant on AoE buffs to scale is pretty fun. Stuff like FD rush or token OoS with Harahel.

My most memorable win I have would probably back in January I signed up for a tourney the DrewUniverse was hosting. In general chat at that time Dogeee said he would give a free Heldric to anyone who ran Aberion in command over the tourney. Figuring I was just going to get the door prize any ways I took him up on it and took Aberion in command. I ended up playing VS Orisolve that game he was using a 3P DoD. I was shocked when I won needless to say. So I asked Dogeee if I would still get the heldric if I used a real command and he said ya sure go for and I ended up in the finals playing vs MerlinX We both ended up using a 2FD 1OoS deck. I won that game aswell and I felt amazing. I even got my name on the home page for about a month. this is a recording of it

My favorite game mode is constructed. I used to play a lot of ranked however I quit playing after I got my ranked reward for the oppression season. I liked the game mode a lot however I just don’t feel the drive to play it any more now that the leader board lost it’s bar you could use to drag it down as it is such a pain to see lower then the top 10. Also with how much worse the rewards are I just don’t have a reason to play it rather than normals.

What's your most favorite deck that you've played/seen?

My favorite deck jumps around quite a bit however at the moment I play my 2FD 1 WP deck built around buffing Aberion up. I also have a token OoS deck that I use for things like ranked play.

My favorite faction is easily the FD I like the sci fi knight theme a lot. Also the OoS are pretty great the angels with guns is a cool fairly unique idea. My least favorite faction would probably be the cult both the them of them as the purple wearing spell casters and their low creacher play style don’t apply to me.

What's your favorite card?

My favorite card would probably be Klore. He was the first non soulbound legendary I got and he is rather potent.

Are you working on any new deck ideas currently? If so, do you mind sharing what it is?

The current decks I am trying to get to work is an unending drone deck based to work. I want to make an Exiles and FD rush deck I see promise in that right now with stuff like rock chucker lost knight and infested devil.

If I had to give some advice to new players I would want to sugest that they stay out of draft and stick to buying collection packs. Also if you want to run a FD deck a good command that is fairly cheap is Bromitch, Kali the purifier or flaming blade, and a FD footman

So there we have it; the first interview of 2017 and we get to hear from the Player of the Year!
I hoped you enjoyed hearing Mew28's perspective. Give him a congrats if you see him around rifts he's a cool guy to talk to. Think YOU have what it takes to be Player of the Year? Well good luck! You have all of 2017 to stand out and show the community why you deserve to be our Player of the Year!

Thanks for reading! Thanks Mew28 for doing this interview and generally being a cool guy to talk to. And thank you Interesting_Socks for agreeing to postpone your interview. Come back next week for our next interview. GL HF! 

"I don't need luck."-Mew28

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 06:19:32 PM »
Next week The IW Player's Profiles will be talking with a member of the pseudo casual community: ShamanExile! If you'd like me to ask ShamanExile any questions on your behalf please PM me on the forums...and check back at the end of next week for our full interview.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »
It might be worth making each of these interviews its own thread. That way, assuming you keep doing this, if anyone wants to go back and read any of these in particular it will be a lot easier to find.

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 10:56:12 PM »
Mew is too pure for this world. Can I keep him in my pocket please?
#nohomo
Where there's a will, there's a way.