Author Topic: [CDC] Overloaded!  (Read 2113 times)

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
[CDC] Overloaded!
« on: December 05, 2016, 02:10:06 AM »
Alright, slight delay on my part but here it is!

Create a Card that somehow punishes your opponent for utilizing the overcharge mechanic. This can be in any form, whether its in buffs for yourself, damage of some sort or a beneficial/detrimental effect for you and/or your opponent

Right now it seems there really isn't any two-sided interaction and I'd really like to see what the community can come up with :D

Example Card:

Name: Life Bloom
Faction/Purity: 2 WP
Type: Ability
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 1

Rules Text: Whenever your opponent overcharges a card this turn, gain 1 temporary resources next turn.

--- Card Design Challenge Rules ---
1) The Judge appoints a challenge, it can be anything, making new card, redesigning an old one or whatever you wish.
2) All that wish to participate submit their card design. Each participant may only submit one entry per challenge, you may however edit your post as many times as you wish till the deadline.
3) If you edit your post you should make an additional post in this thread informing of the edit to make sure that the updated version of the card will be judged. The post should contain the full updated card details as well as a brief summary of what changed from your original submission.
4) After an announced deadline the Judge decides a winner. The winner then becomes the Judge for the next round.
5) All entries submitted before the deadline are guaranteed feedback, either in this thread or in another detailed feedback thread.

PRIZES
1st place: 1 Faction Pack + 2 Collection Packs
2nd place: 2 Collection Packs
3rd place: 1 Collection Pack

SUGGESTED SUBMISSION FORMAT
Name:
Faction/Purity:
Type:
Rarity:
Cost:
Morale:
Attack/Health:
Rules Text:
Flavor Text:

Cards Will be Judged on the following criteria:

Creativity - 0/40 pts - Does the card bring something innovative to the game? Is it new? Does it permit a new style of play?
Synergy - 0/20 pts - Does this card have other existing cards it would work well with?
Overall Balance 0/30 pts - Do the statistics/affects of the card make sense? Are the appropriate combos well considered in terms of power?
Flavor- 0/10 pts - Does the card have a stylistic appeal to it?

Point totals will only be displayed with the top 3 for the CDC. (Or on request at the conclusion of the challenge)

Deadline is 2 weeks from now (12/18)
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: [CDC] Overloaded!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:32:28 AM »
Urn of the Forsaken's Wrath
1 DoD
4 cost
Artifact
Rare

Whenever an opponent overcharges a card, CARDNAME gets a counter and then your opponent loses 5 morale for each counter on CARDNAME.
They were cast aside, their souls scattered into the aether, but in time they gathered here, and their wrath shall be remembered, if not their names.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:21:00 AM »
Vindictive Remnant
DD OR WP
3 cost
Unique Artifact

Whenever an opponent overcharges a character card a 6/3 Flying Spirit is created in your assault zone.

"We shall summon the spirits of those the enemy discarded, and allow them to have their vengeance."

Gives both wp and dod a bit more flying offense (or defense if they survive their first turn), or puts pressure on the opponent to not use characters for overcharging.

Offline tmoua805

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:32:36 AM »
Name: Haunted Lantern
Faction/Purity: 2p DoD
Type: artifact
Rarity: rare
Cost:3
Rules Text:Whenever your opponent overcharges, the overcharged cards are not removed from the game but placed in your opponent's graveyard. At the end of each turn, your opponent loses 3 morale for each card in the graveyard that was sent into the graveyard this way.
Flavor Text:"The lantern helps guide the souls of the dead peacefully across to the world of the dead, but there are those who are not done protecting their land yet even after death"

This card idea is inspired from Spirit Guide
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:10:16 AM by tmoua805 »

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 04:18:14 AM »
Sands of Lost Dreams (Epic Location)
Cost: 0
Purity: 3 Exiles
Subtypes: None

Description:
-When you play this card, either Overcharge twice or pay an additional 3 Resources.
-Whenever any opponent removes a card in their hand from the game, a copy of the card is created in your hand. If it is a Character, it gains the Demon subtype. If it does not have an Exile cost, it is given one equal to its Resource cost.

Flavour Text: A soldier dismissed, a spellbook left to rot... the dreams of those whose potential were lost take form in the the wastes of Torment.

Commentary: OK I just read the previous challenge, and I realised this sounds like the card you used to win that challenge. I swear this resemblance is purely coincidental, I have been out of touch of CDC for months now.

I wanted it to be able to take advantage of as many Overcharge cards as possible, thus the potential to be played on Turn 1. Of course, it may not necessarily be found and played on Turn 1, and there is an option of playing it later with Resources only.

It seems pretty powerful, but I took into account the fact that not every deck uses Overcharge cards, and the amount of Overcharge cards which exist is pretty small anyway; this would likely be sideboarded. Furthermore, since this card lacks the element of surprise (apart from the turn it is played, if the opponent decides to Overcharge on the same turn), the opponent can simply choose not to play his/her Overcharge cards, or play them without Overcharging them. The Demon subtype is a thematic thing, not that important.

It doesn't necessarily apply to Overcharge, any card removed from the game from hand can activate it, otherwise it would be too situational.

For some reason everyone so far has choosen to create Artifact cards lol. This was supposed to be an Artifact but I changed it to be a Location; Exiles lack a good Location anyway.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:02:12 AM by CommunistMountain »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:37:55 AM »
---
Ji Zhu
1p OoS + 1p DoD
5 cost
7 morale
Character- Spider

Reach

Whenever a card gets removed from the game, add that card's rule text to this card's flavor text.

This card gets +1/+1 for each line of text in this card's flavor text.

"Yes this line counts too"
"And this line"
"This line is also included"
"So at this point the card is at least a 7/8"
3/4
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:31:56 PM by Hiding »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »
Apate, Demon of Deception
Purity: 1 Exile
Cost: 4
Morale: 10
Type: Unique Character - Demon
Stats: 1/1
Rarity: Rare

Consume 2

As long as Apate is deployed, all standard overcharge effects (Buff/Debuff, Damage/Heal, Card Draw/Discard) have the opposite effect when used.

Non-standard overcharge effects have no effect at all.

At the end of your turn, sacrifice 1+X characters to Apate. X is the number of cards used to overcharge (the 'Overcharge Fuel') this turn. If you can't sacrifice a sufficient number of characters, remove Apate from the game.

"She may promises you everything you ever wanted, but in the end you will never receive what you hoped for. And she will still demand her payment."

Comment:
While i would like the idea of her being able to reverse every overcharge in the game, that might be too difficult to implement. So i settled for the overwhelming majority of the effects that can be relatively easily reversed:

Damage <-> Heal
Buff <-> Debuff
Card Draw <-> Discard

Only the overcharge effect is affected. So playing an Overcharged storm with 2 overcharged cards will deal 4 damage and heal every character in the battlefield for 8. Similar, Solace's Peace overcharged with 2 cards would heal for 10 (base effect of the card) and deal damage for 10 (from the two overcharges), and an overcharged Adaptive hulker would receive -5/-5.

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »
Overcharge Siphoner
1 Purity CoV
2 Cost
3 Morale
Character - Human
4/5

While in play, all overcharged cards by the opponent will count towards overcharges on your next played overcharge card.

You can imagine how good this would be for cards like Overcharged Bolt, Overcharged Storm and Solace's Peace.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:33:42 PM by Number11 »

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 11:45:46 PM »
Name: Hammer of the Dawn
Purity:3FD
Type:Unique Artifact
Rarity: Legendary
Cost:1

Rules Text: Indestructible
Whenever an opponent overcharges a card place 2 counters on Hammer of the Dawn.
Activate: Sacrifice Hammer of the Dawn target character you control on the battlefield gets +2/+2 for each counter on Hammer of the Dawn (until end of turn)and gains unstoppable until the end of turn.

Flavor Text:
"How do you destroy a big robot?... Get a bigger hammer."

Edit: changed buff from +3/+0 to +2/+2 and removed giving character indestructible.

the idea of this card is to give FD a counter threat to logrithmatron by forcing a log trade with the hammers wielder (if you can't win already  because of chump blockers or some nonsense).

Although it seems op... i feel like it isn't because w/o the opponent overcharging the 2/2 buff isn't usable. the character it's used on isn't untouchable making it still subject to: rfg (kidnapper, kidnapped by demons, CTA, Mystery box), Humbles, pacifys, stumble effects(fear, FD, harbingers) , and probably more that i can't think of right now. either way the buffs are for a single turn and you can only have one hammer down at a time. it's 3 purity so the deck options are (kinda) limited; plus it telegraphs what you're doing pretty hard by showing the strat to your opponent from the get go.  idk.  i think it should give indestructible as well but hidings right that would make the card too strong and increasing cost ruins the logrithmatron counter threat.
i like the idea of Aberion's hammer being a card/ weapon that other characters can pick up and attack with.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:43:58 PM by TameRlane »
MAY ALL YOUR PENTA PACKS HAVE LEGENDS AND MAY ALL YOUR RIFT RUNS BE REWARDING!
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 01:34:59 AM »
Name: Hammer of the Dawn
Purity:3FD
Type:Unique Artifact
Rarity: Legendary
Cost:1

Rules Text: Indestructible
Whenever an opponent overcharges a card place 2 counters on Hammer of the Dawn.
Activate: Sacrifice Hammer of the Dawn target character you control on the battlefield gets +3/+0 for each counter on Hammer of the Dawn and gains indestructible and unstoppable until the end of turn.

Flavor Text:
"How do you destroy a big robot?... Get a bigger hammer."

The giving a character indestructible makes this ridiculously op. It can erase both an assault zone and a defense zone depending if you are blocking or attacking. 1 cost is crazy to give anything indestructible not to mention including unstoppable and a possible buff. Look at fiery wish cost 5 to give indestructible to something restricted to assault zone
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:37:40 AM by Hiding »

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 02:28:17 AM »
Rules Text:Whenever your opponent overcharges a card, that card is removed from play. Your opponent loses 2 morale for each card that they overcharged. 
Flavor Text:"The lantern helps the souls of the dead peacefully cross to the world of the dead, but there are those who are not done protecting their land yet even after death"

This is really cool, but removing an overcharged card from the game is a bit redundant since by definition an overcharged card is removed anyways. The only exception to this is defiant trickster, but that's hardly worth adding complexity to this card for.

Offline tmoua805

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 11:33:04 PM »
Rules Text:Whenever your opponent overcharges a card, that card is removed from play. Your opponent loses 2 morale for each card that they overcharged. 
Flavor Text:"The lantern helps the souls of the dead peacefully cross to the world of the dead, but there are those who are not done protecting their land yet even after death"

This is really cool, but removing an overcharged card from the game is a bit redundant since by definition an overcharged card is removed anyways. The only exception to this is defiant trickster, but that's hardly worth adding complexity to this card for.

Oh your right! I completely forgot that overcharge "removes" cards from the game. I barely use any overcharge effect cards and i have been off and on playing this game which is why i probably forgot. Thanks for notifying me though! I am going to change the effect so go check it out!

Offline JLazeZ

• Let's D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
Pot of Greed

Purity / 1CoV, 1Exiles
Rarity / Epic
Cost / 2

Unique Artifact

Whenever someone Overcharges, Pot of Greed gains a Token.

Once Pot of Greed gains 6 Tokens, the person who last Overcharged gets to draw 2 cards.

Thoughts / I'm not really sure if this qualifies for the CDC. Might be a bit *too* different.
Tullio and Ju-Lin carry Infinity Wars.

Offline TameRlane

• Tournament Organizer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 06:08:05 AM »
Pot of Greed

Purity / 1CoV, 1Exiles
Rarity / Epic
Cost / 2

Unique Artifact

Whenever someone Overcharges, Pot of Greed gains a Token.

Once Pot of Greed gains 6 Tokens, the person who last Overcharged gets to draw 2 cards.

Thoughts / I'm not really sure if this qualifies for the CDC. Might be a bit *too* different.
:o Ooooo  This is cool.
not sure if it punishes enough though mb more cards? or mb it holds the overcharged cards then whoever triggers it gets them?
does it need to be unique?
 ??? i dunno im bad at figuring out to draw the "op line"
But i definitely like the idea of this card JlazeZ ;D
MAY ALL YOUR PENTA PACKS HAVE LEGENDS AND MAY ALL YOUR RIFT RUNS BE REWARDING!
Author, Editor, Head Researcher, and Chief Interviewer of The IW Player's Profiles

Offline mew28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
Name: Greedy aspirant
Faction/Purity: FD 1
Type: Character Human
Rarity: Uncomman
Cost: 3
Morale: 1
Attack/Health: 5/5
Rules Text:Anytime a card is overcharged apply the effect to Greedy aspirant rather then as normal (eg they play over charged hulker he gets the +6/6 or if they play over charged bolt or storm he eats all the damage).
Flavor Text: For better or worse he takes everything he can get his hands on.