Author Topic: Candit failed to give cards  (Read 308 times)

Offline Prototaxites

• View Profile
Candit failed to give cards
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
deployed candit from command zone on the same turn that I detonated an unstable bomb bot from command zone.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
Re: Candit failed to give cards
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
Candit will only draw cards if she is alive when her ability triggers. Bomb Bot and Candit both trigger in the same phase, and resolution is determined by what order you added them to your deck. If Bomb Bot was added first his ability will trigger first and kill Candit before any cards are drawn. If you want to draw the cards first, remake the deck and add Candit to the deck before Bomb Bot.

Offline Prototaxites

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
oh wow. ty for the tip.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
Candit will only draw cards if she is alive when her ability triggers. Bomb Bot and Candit both trigger in the same phase, and resolution is determined by what order you added them to your deck. If Bomb Bot was added first his ability will trigger first and kill Candit before any cards are drawn. If you want to draw the cards first, remake the deck and add Candit to the deck before Bomb Bot.

I am pretty sure that in case of Bomb-bot, this explanation is (partly) wrong. If i didn't miss any change, then Bomb-bot doesn't trigger in the same phase as Candit, it triggers at the start of the turn which is before deployment phase. This is also the reason that once someone decided to let their bomb-bot explode, there is no way to actually prevent that, not even a FD commando on priority.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:48:10 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »

I am pretty sure that in case of Bomb-bot, this explanation is (partly) wrong. If i didn't miss any change, then Bomb-bot doesn't trigger in the same phase as Candit, it triggers at the start of the turn which is before deployment phase. This is also the reason that once someone decided to let their bomb-bot explode, there is no way to actually prevent that, not even a FD commando on priority.

This is incorrect. You can kill a bomb bot detonating on your own priority with any on deploy character effect. FD Commando, Kidnapper, Mad Monk, etc, and prevent the detonation. 'Start of Turn' effects and 'on deploy' effects both trigger together in one single phase at the start of the turn.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Are you sure? I think I can remember that my FD commando on priority failed to kill an exploding bomb-bot the last time i tried it, but I might remember it wrong. I can't test that right now, so I can't be sure. However, I quickly tested your solution for candit: It doesn't work for me. As long as she is on the battlefield, she ll always die to your own bomb-bot before her ability triggers. No matter in which sequence they have been added to the deck, bomb-bot always triggered before candit for me.

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:28:13 PM »
Are you sure? I think I can remember that my FD commando on priority failed to kill an exploding bomb-bot the last time i tried it, but I might remember it wrong.

Merlin is correct, deploy effects and start of turn effects resolve at the same time and depend on priority as well. I've killed bomb bots with commandos many times, and same with stuff like candit and bomb-bot. However, a while back the way effects resolved was changed so that things resolve in order from left to right and zone by zone. This means that the reason your candit died before it could draw wasn't because bomb bot was added to the deck first, but rather because the bomb bot was in the support zone while candit was on the battlefield, and effects of characters in the support zone resolve before effects of characters on the battlefield.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:31 PM »
Okay, my bad, then I seem to remember things incorrectly there. Probably made a FD commando out of a lightning bolt  ::).