Poll

Is Rita Toxic

Yes
No
Yes - The most toxic card ever designed for IW

Author Topic: Game Discussion - Is Rita Toxic?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Roderick

• View Profile
Re: Game Discussion - Is Rita Toxic?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
Anyone who thinks IW's balance is in a bad state right now has clearly not played during older metas where everything was far more overpowered or toxic. This game is more skill based than any digital card game right now regardless of whatever deck happens to be viable right now.
Well...seeing how i'm from before rise, I kinda know how it was.
The meta was bad back then, but the game was still fun. Decks were more overpowered than toxic; well...besides dod, god I hated dod.
The game is still very skill based, but some decks take that equation out, in addition we'll be slowly drifting further and further away from that over time.

Let's take Hunted dragon as an example, argueably one of the most skillbased decks out there.
It's not even close to being meta these days. Heck, Bionic pally is the closest thing to it and you just blitzkrieg through removal.
What is meta right now, is tinkercide. Tinkercide of all things.
On top of that you have decks that don't even try to be competitive, but who's sole purpose is to get your opponent to rage quit. ex. Mill
we never had that in old IW, the closest thing was dod, and yeah that was toxic af because it felt like the game wasn't going anywhere. everything else required atleast some skill to play effectively.

Offline Kevkas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »
I feel character based stall is fine just make the characters worth more morale

This would actually balance Rita somewhat, I'm not sure if it would be THE solution, but it would surely help. I'd really like to hear from Devs or a CM if this is something they would consider doing.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »
I feel character based stall is fine just make the characters worth more morale

This would actually balance Rita somewhat, I'm not sure if it would be THE solution, but it would surely help. I'd really like to hear from Devs or a CM if this is something they would consider doing.

It also helps vs broken ass sleepers without having to use lingbaos will. Chopping down thousands of zombies should mean something.

Character based anything will always be better than just straight up spells. Characters allow you to see something and feel good killing them, especially if killing them does something like drain morale. Characters allow you to decide what to do based on the information given other than an empty board and 20 cards in the opponents hand. Stall is absolutely fine as long as its implemented in the right manner. One track stall is stupid as hell, the stall has to involve a plan coming together with multiple removable pieces not something that just says: puffy it you drawn this game out wayy to long puffy this game you win.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:59:59 PM by Hiding »

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Anyone who thinks IW's balance is in a bad state right now has clearly not played during older metas where everything was far more overpowered or toxic.

Old Xi + Old Precautionary. Nuff' Said

Personally I just see Rita as an enabler for anything that requires a mass of bodies. I can't but feel that further down the line she's going to become a problem without a way to handle a mass of tokens - especially since there is almost no drawback to using her ability.

Now all this could go away if they would just introduce a consume/unstoppable WP/Exile card. At least something to make spamming cheap blockers undesirable.
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Roderick

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
From the looks of the no more heroes art, it seemed like that was meant to be a card to wipe out tokens.
I'm not sure why they would change this though.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »
I think rita is a little toxic.

Her whole concept is based on chump blocking, chump blocking is never going to lead to a scenario where you out value your opponent. It's only going to be used so you can stall for some sort of win condition. This, as a concept, doesn't sound fun to play against. People like to interact with their opponent, being unable to attack and losing to a win condition you can't prevent is not something people like playing against.

Then there's the problem of the synergy with the tokens, activating things like Wall of the dead, Shrine and Death blast etc. People don't like playing against these cards.

So on paper, there is nothing fun about Rita and in reality she has been in some of the most toxic decks in IWs being Shrine and Virus (and due to all the recent complaints, I'll include 2COV, 1 FD death blast).

There's nothing massively wrong with her, but I don't like the concept of her or the decks she's used in.

Offline Roderick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 12:59:18 AM »
I think rita is a little toxic.

Her whole concept is based on chump blocking, chump blocking is never going to lead to a scenario where you out value your opponent. It's only going to be used so you can stall for some sort of win condition. This, as a concept, doesn't sound fun to play against. People like to interact with their opponent, being unable to attack and losing to a win condition you can't prevent is not something people like playing against.

Then there's the problem of the synergy with the tokens, activating things like Wall of the dead, Shrine and Death blast etc. People don't like playing against these cards.

So on paper, there is nothing fun about Rita and in reality she has been in some of the most toxic decks in IWs being Shrine and Virus (and due to all the recent complaints, I'll include 2COV, 1 FD death blast).

There's nothing massively wrong with her, but I don't like the concept of her or the decks she's used in.
I think one of iw's biggest priorities should be revamping unfun cards...such as zuza, rita, mysterious box etc.
Heck, at this point I can't even get my friends to play iw, either because it's too frustrating as a new player, or they end up against a mill deck early on.
Add in long que times...the extremely heavy handed tutorial etc....no wonder there's no new players in iw

Offline PeliKan

• I'm a Warrior with a Pencil.
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
Rita is not toxic but I meet her in each verore commander zone so she can be too strong a little or verore don't have any good commander ^^
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:39:27 AM by PeliKan »

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »
Strange discussion...

So Rita is toxic, but tons of spellcards in various combinations of CoV/Exile/DoD are healthy? Sure, Rita provides (great) synergy to those decks, but if anything is toxic, its the tons of spell cards doing the same and offering 0 interaction beside outplaying battlefield based AoE spells.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »
Strange discussion...

So Rita is toxic, but tons of spellcards in various combinations of CoV/Exile/DoD are healthy? Sure, Rita provides (great) synergy to those decks, but if anything is toxic, its the tons of spell cards doing the same and offering 0 interaction beside outplaying battlefield based AoE spells.

I think rita's fine, in fact it promotes character+sacrifice based play in Verore instead of just field wipes until u can oblivion.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
Strange discussion...

I think rita's fine, in fact it promotes character+sacrifice based play in Verore instead of just field wipes until u can oblivion.

I wouldn't say that she promotes character + sacrifice based play. She surely synergizes with cards that demand sacrifices, but she also synergizes perfectly well with the field wipe oblivion playstyle by helping to stall the game 'til oblivion.

Strange discussion...

Nobody said that they are. And I agree that these decks are a problem even without rita, but i guess it is discussing one card at a time. For me, rita is on a similar level like fear (old discussion, I know, but this is still 1p/unchanged?). By itself it isn't that toxic, but it acts as an easy enabler to easy to play, ugly combos and stall.

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 10:29:48 AM »
I voted 3rd answer to turn the poll into a phallus-perfect shape.

You can thank me later. :)

Offline kayamek

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 03:16:27 AM »
 To not nerf her sacrificial token creator potential just rise by a lot the morale cost of the tokens so they're not as amazing in stalling/fodder for own cemetery based combos without a drawback.

Offline ArcaneAzmadi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 05:57:00 AM »
Pardon me for asking what may seem like a potentially stupid question... but is it really THAT essential that token creatures go to the graveyard like real cards rather than simply being removed from the game when they die...?
Always expect the worst and you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Kevkas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Pardon me for asking what may seem like a potentially stupid question... but is it really THAT essential that token creatures go to the graveyard like real cards rather than simply being removed from the game when they die...?

That's actually a very interesting question, personally I wouldn't mind if tokens were just removed from the game once they are killed.