Author Topic: Heavenly Thunder - (2p CoV /1p OOS)  (Read 828 times)

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
Heavenly Thunder - (2p CoV /1p OOS)
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:38:57 AM »
Thought I'd share a deck I've been having a blast playing lately. Its been VERY strong in normals but don't take it into ranked - it will get wrecked by sideboards.

Command:

- Thunder Apprentice
- Grounded Angel
- Black Bind Witch

Characters: 16

x2 Voracious Goliath
x3 Acolyte of the Crypt
x3 Verore Death Worshipper
x2 Xi Ascended
x3 Adaptive Drone
x3 Cassial, The Selfless

Abilities: 20

x3 Explore
x3 Lightning Blast
x3 Oppress
x3 Reflective Shield
x3 Mass Death
x3 Lightning Blast
x2 The Calamity

Locations: 2

x2 Ruins of Veroria

Missions: 2

x2 Ritual of Summoning

Sideboard:

x2 Recycle
x2 Gather Thoughts
x3 Sinister Corruption
x3 Desolation
x2 Consecration
x3 Tyra, the Burden of War

Don't let this deck fool you - without a way to appropriately handle Ruins it is EXTREMELY dangerous to attack this deck. For the early game your opponent is going to be pressed to stop thunder apprentice from granting you early board control - and the combo of black bind with and grounded angel give thunder apprentice a good chance of getting you a lightning blast or two.

The cool thing about thunder apprentice is that she serves two purposes - she can get you early board control OR she can stock up overcharge fuel for Solace's peace which can allow you to almost instantaneously regenerate the hp lost by playing ruins.

Explore helps to ensure that you can get ruins up quickly and also serves the dual purpose of providing cards to your hand once its down. Once ruins is down the deck gets fun. You no longer need to use the defense zone. At all (unless you suspect location removal in which case you're probably going to have a bad day). Oppress + Reflective shield pretty well ensure that the most damage a creature is going to deal to you is 3 per creature. And if they're fielding weak creatures all you need is reflective shield. Because of your continuous lifegain you place your opponent into a position of almost having to all-in you to ensure they can actually finish you off. Because of this, landing a MD usually means your opponent is going to feel it. Hard.

To finish off the game just use acolyte of the crypt and Xi to pump out what you need and wait for the opportunity to finish the job.

Pros:

+ VERY strong board control without location removal
+ Many cards which serve multiple purposes for your deck
+ Ritual of Summoning becomes activated in most games
+ Creatures become a valuable commodity to your opponent and each loss for them is a significant problem and typically will benefit you 5 different ways.
+ Because this deck forces your opponent to put up a strong board both MD and Calamity can be very devastating to someone saving up for a OTK
+ Can Defend without a creature presence

Cons:

- HEAVILY reliant on ruins. You can still win without it, but it becomes much, much more difficult.
- Not very strong creatures - generally you'll be relying on abilities to keep you alive (Not much of a surprise there)
- Unlike many overcharge decks - you usually have the fuel to do what you need with this one
- Reliant on the opponent to attack - your sideboard is an important asset to ensuring that they are forced on the offensive.
- Weak to location removal. Sorry, no ruins = no chance :D
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Heavenly Thunder - (2p CoV /1p OOS)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:25:40 PM »
It's cool that you made a deck around ruins of veroria.

But it's still a bad card. Pay 4, lose half your health is crazy. I'd pay 4 to deploy this card for my opponent.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:13:46 AM »
But it's still a bad card.

No argument from me - I just enjoy taking terrible cards and elevating them to "Okay". After all how many decks do you see in a day that make cards like oppress, reflective shield and explore not ENTIRELY useless?  Plus, with this deck you're usually only paying about 20-30 life since you can quickly regain a large chunk of it back.

Offline quangtit01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:18:48 AM »
It's cool that you made a deck around ruins of veroria.

But it's still a bad card. Pay 4, lose half your health is crazy. I'd pay 4 to deploy this card for my opponent.

I can see some crazy combo with deathblast

Offline Rasaru

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
Interesting deck :) However, I did just notice that you have lightning blast x3 twice.

Offline Ben4d90

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:02:31 AM »
>No Angel's Banes

Really? That card is rediculously good. 2 res for an exhaust with a 6/6 body. I recommend running 3.

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 03:11:42 AM »
>No Angel's Banes

Really? That card is rediculously good. 2 res for an exhaust with a 6/6 body. I recommend running 3.

I believe he made this deck before that card was released and probably hasn't updated it yet.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 07:36:01 AM »
I believe he made this deck before that card was released and probably hasn't updated it yet.

^That

But Ben knows everything about this game so I won't bother.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 02:59:33 AM »
Will counterspells and declarius help protect your ruins now?

Ah dang purity

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:08:27 AM »
Actually, I use Alaerem in that deck now

Ruins + Anger to suicide and restore yourself to full hp with ruins out.
Its changed a LOT but I'll post it the next time I have a fully functional internet again.