Author Topic: [CDC] Rebellion  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Sweaterkittens

• View Profile
Re: [CDC] Rebellion
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 05:19:04 AM »
Purifier Squad
Faction/Purity:1 Flame Dawn and 1 Genesis Industries
Card Type: Character
Card Rarity: Rare
Cost: 3 Resources, 5 Morale
Attack/Hitpoints: 4 Attack, 10 Hitpoints
Rules Text: When this character deals combat damage to a Warpath character, it is considered to have Flame Strike 5. If an opposing Warpath character is killed by this character, its owner loses 2 Morale.
Flavor Text: "Let's send a message that even savage beasts will understand"
Card Art: A group of three heavily armored Flame Dawn/Genesis soldiers wielding advanced Genesis flamethrowers/backpacks, blanketing a charred area with gouts of flame, with several charred stumps and unidentifiable bodies surrounding them.

The concept behind this was a card that would shine when softening up large Warpath units, but would under-perform in alternate circumstances. It would function best as a sideboard card against Warpath-heavy decks. I tried to go right down the middle, having an entertaining and feasible theme, being viable in some decks but not others, without being wildly overpowered.

Offline mew28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
Name: Dragon Knight
Purity 1DoD 1FD
Card Rarity: Common
Cost 3 Moral 7
Stats 9 Attack 7 HP
Rules Text Reduce any damage taken by dragon knight by one.

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
Name: Against All Tyrants
Faction/Purity: Warpath/DoD
Type: Unique Character - Beast
Rarity: Rare
Cost: 3
Morale: 8
Attack/Health: 6/8
Rules Text: Vigilence, Reach. When you deploy Against All Tyrants, it gains +4/+4 for every unique character your opponent has deployed.
Flavor Text: Freedom is never given; it is won.

Relatively match-up dependent card, but overall very solid at stopping strong stuff like Klore/Kali commands, and can act as a powerful counter to Lucca rush. Also eats Tullios and in general becomes a very useful beater. Might be really strong, but it's in awkward purities as well. It's also somewhat playable even without your opponent having a deployed unit, especially considering the Beast synergy it has. Could even make a DoD/Hermit deck with this thing being a tool in that purity. Also, very, very high morale cost which is a drawback for it.

(Quote/Flavor Text is from A. Philip Randolph)

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 07:00:20 AM »
Closed.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline ORISOLVE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »
Results:

Merlinix – Shockwave Demon is a semi-balanced card compared to Shockwave Giant. The 10 damage effect really suits the DoD overcharge requirement. This card is overboard and hurts the intelligent elements of the game. It could practically replace The Calamity by turn 8, with very few counters that include Martyr Golem, Cassial, and Noble Protector. Also with a 2 Purity Exile 1 DoD type of deck, this type of poor AOE is already unwelcomed.

ecliptix – Survival of the Fittest seems like a very niche card. There are very few non-unique deployed characters which cost 1 or less. For a cost that high, I’m unsure that this card would be viable against most decks or in the meta. I do see the potential in this card if made stronger, but I do not like cards that are simply play and kill. In my opinion, play and kill type cards are worse than RNG; I prefer cards which embrace the simultaneous turns and mind games that Infinity Wars has to offer such as Death Ray.

drewmb10 – Imperial Tomb seems like a card that should be in the game with all these overcharge effects showing up into the game. I found your choice of purities for this card intriguing. However, I did find it strange that you decided to make the card into a location instead of an artifact when SOA and DoD lack strong artifacts while almost all their locations are irreplaceable.

NatoPotato – Kung Ji, Advanced Strategist is a very well designed. It embraces the effects of the Kung Ji name while at the same time utilizing the unique combination of the DoD/Genesis purities. If this card existed I don’t see how anyone could not run this card in their command zone with a DoD/Genesis purity deck. Hands down one of the best card designs I have ever seen. Great job.

Nephilim – Armory Peddler is an interesting attack buff card. I don’t see the reason of forcing a DoD overcharge condition other than meeting the conditions of this Card Design Challenge. I could see this card simply existing as a Flame Dawn card by itself.

Wayfinder1026 – Mouth of the Beast is an extremely strong card. Especially with the effect working from the command zone and working with cards such as Master of Demons. I would not enjoy this card being in the meta. I feel like there should be more of a downside to this card since it is a different variation of Xi, Ascended.

Number11 – Tocol, Champion of Agreement is an amazing card. It suits the overall theme of the Overseers “Negation”. I’ve always wondered if there could be a better use for an interaction such as the Intervention card and this is it. The way you managed to include a suitable Warpath overcharge element into the card was great. You truly understand the needs of an Overseers player by making this card cost 2 resources. Great job.

Hiding – Crossroads Marauder is the type of card that should definitely be in the Rebellion set. It gives the player options without limiting their deckbuilding command zone purities. The overall idea of the card is genius, however I feel like it requires slight adjustments. Since this is a Flame Dawn card in general, I’d prefer the card to be slightly FD viable without overcharge but at the same time, I would like the DoD overcharge to move the card defensively while the WP overcharge moves the card towards a strong beast type heavy hitter with/without unstoppable below Adaptive Hulker. The balancing with this type of card is quite tough, but I do see potential.

xMatanX122 – Beast of Ascension would be an interesting addition to the Rebellion set. I do wonder how the Overseers and Warpath Beasts could get along. Strange overcharge fodder, but works well with the recruit aspects of Warpath and the Search for the Key card in the Overseers. I could definitely see this card in the Rebellion set.

ToxicShadow – Arcane Demonic Battery is a card that I could see the CoV using. I would like to see a variation of this card introduced into the game. I feel like forcing the Exile overcharge mechanic was unnecessary and by itself could be a completely separate card. I would like to see this card have an overcharge effect though. Instead of being a completely niche card that works only with overcharge cards, it would have an overcharge itself and become a demon when you need it to finish off your opponent’s health or defend from flyers. We all know CoV are lacking in the characters department and this card could really help.

Quangtit01 – Xiix, the Mischievous’s Overseers overcharge mechanic seems more like a Star Trek effect than an Overseers one, so … “No.”  I don’t see the Overseers as the type of people stealing cards from opponents even with an Exile discard element. Good effort.

SweaterKittens – Purifier Squad, although it fits the theme quite well, I don’t see this card being viable in meta at all. This type of card already exists in the Factionless Spec Ops, etc. A lot of adjustments need to be made for this type of card to be viable. In my opinion, they should be slightly below curve, but when faced against their strengths, they should be above curve, but not so above curve that the card becomes overpowered in sideboards. I would hate to see a 3 cost card 7/7, but when it faces a Warpath card it becomes a 20/20. You by far had the best submission format out of everyone else. People should follow your lead in submission formats for these Card Design Challenges. ;D

Mew28 – Dragon Knight is such a cool name for a card and I would hate for it to have such a lame effect similar to Armored Landcrawler. I feel like the card deserves better, but good effort.

Grinnin_Gin – Against All Tyrants is a viable card that I would love to see in the Rebellion set. It is a standard card, but I do see necessary adjustments. For example I feel like giving the card both Vigilance AND Reach is way too powerful for its current 3 cost. Even at “awkward” purities it does not justify such insane stats for this card. A Flame Dawn deck that runs Klore and Kali would be completely destroyed by a turn 3 14/16. I feel it is adamant that this card is kept at 3 resources as 3 drops are what DoD and Warpath need the most. I would like to see a variation of this card in the Rebellion set, but not in its current state.

Thank you all for your time. It took me 2.5 hours+ to write all these reviews. Oh gawd, 10/10 would not do this again. Last but not least, here are the winners. Please contact your Community Manager – “DrewUniverse” for prizes.

3rd Place - ToxicShadow
2nd Place - Number11
1st Place - NatoPotato
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:43:08 PM by ORISOLVE »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »
Just end comments on my card, Crossroads Marauder: I made this card more to be part of a set as you could see from my hidden cards. I originally wanted it to be a 3 drop 8/9 which meant it could be played as a decently high stat FD card on its own. Forgot why I changed it, but I was more thinking of it from a FD standpoint, Unstoppable in FD is pretty powerful, but perhaps I wanted it to have more relevance to be used with DoD as well so I changed it to 4 cost with more health. but as an end result pure FD would never really use this card as its stats are below the curve and not what FD is looking for [tho I did make it able to survive the usual 10 attack 4 drops have].

Either way good job judging and congrats to the winners.

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
Solid cards from the winners! Nicely done.

An artifact would certainly make my card more playable, you're right. I just liked the idea of fighting in what is essentially a claustrophobic space, not allowing either player 'escapes'.

Thanks for the timely response! I really do hope future judges get compensated more for their time.

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
Great, now I have to come up with an interesting challenge ::)
Anyway, great job everyone, a lot of these were pretty cool.

I'll be a bit busy tomorrow but I'll have something up by the day after.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
Gratz for winning Nato! Looking forward to the next challenge!

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
I just want to say I am very disappointed that I did not win this challenge outright. My card fits so well into the design of the game as a whole that it could have been designed by Ian himself.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »
For the record - my card kills tokens too :P

WP tokens
Xi Tokens
Rita Tokens
Aleta Tokens
Caretaker Tokens
Cornicen Tokens
Heaven's Assistance tokens (A 5 cost Card)
Call the Crusade Tokens (A 5 Cost Card)
Jinhai Ambush Tokens (A 4 cost Card)
Scouting Mission (A STAPLE 5 Cost card)
Support Bots
Forerunner of the Champions

It was really designed with the intention to negate mass token play since WP & DoD focus on having larger individual bodies and this would give them an edge against mass token decks - especially GI where they can often produce multiple large bodies almost instantaneously. While maybe not necessarily a winning card and could have done with a few tweaks (maybe functioning like called shot with some zone prediction) - I do feel a lot of what the card can do was disregarded in the judging process.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:21:45 PM by ecliptix »
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 04:39:26 PM »
Congrats on winning NatoPotato.

I just want to say I am very disappointed that I did not win this challenge outright. My card fits so well into the design of the game as a whole that it could have been designed by Ian himself.

Im sure you would have won if the challenge was to design a card like Ian himself would have.

Offline ORISOLVE

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
For the record - my card kills tokens too :P

WP tokens
Xi Tokens
Rita Tokens
Aleta Tokens
Caretaker Tokens
Cornicen Tokens
Heaven's Assistance tokens (A 5 cost Card)
Call the Crusade Tokens (A 5 Cost Card)
Jinhai Ambush Tokens (A 4 cost Card)
Scouting Mission (A STAPLE 5 Cost card)
Support Bots
Forerunner of the Champions

It was really designed with the intention to negate mass token play since WP & DoD focus on having larger individual bodies and this would give them an edge against mass token decks - especially GI where they can often produce multiple large bodies almost instantaneously. While maybe not necessarily a winning card and could have done with a few tweaks (maybe functioning like called shot with some zone prediction) - I do feel a lot of what the card can do was disregarded in the judging process.

I actually took into consideration what the card could do to tokens. Sorry I did not mention it in my response, it was late and I didn't feel like logging into the game to double check (I only play Scouting Mission most of the time, and memorized the fact that the tokens it generated did not cost 1 or below; also after reading Merlinix's submission it reflected negatively on your submission as well).

I also personally believe that all tokens generated from token generators should be equal to the cost of the token generator card for consistencies sake. For the record, I just checked some token generator cards and there were some inconsistencies. Sidenote: some of the transformation cards also have inconsistent resource costs. It seems like LM just made tokens cost similar to their counterparts. But based on the current design of your card, the worst offender "Scouting Mission" is immune to the effects of your card. But overall great card, I would like to see the card increased to maybe 5/6 resources, kills up to 2 drops, and targets the Battlefield/zone prediction or perhaps an interaction similar to Higher Calling/Chain Lightning except it kills cards with the same name, etc. I didn't spend 2.5 hours to overlook things. ;)

Scouting Mission - 2 Drop Tokens
Heaven's Assistance - 0 Drop Tokens
Splitter Robot - 3 Drop Tokens
Overwhelming Dead - 1 Drop Tokens
Cornicen - 1 Drop Token
Xi, Ascended - 1 Drop Tokens

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:53:14 PM by ORISOLVE »

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 05:19:07 AM »
Fair Enough :D

I just really hate tokens xD
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
congrats winner dudes. :D nato, can't wait to see what the next challenge is.
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*