Author Topic: Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM  (Read 6826 times)

Offline NTL

• If you think I'm wrong - think harder...
    • View Profile
Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:19:54 PM »
I wrote this post with silent approval of many veteran players,
DrewUniverse is paid employee, while we are customers of product called Infinity Wars, we have right to review that product and everything that affects it (so work of CM also), also can and should demand high quality product.

He is rarely online in game, what is one of, if not the most important part of his job, at least most visible for community.
He often cancels tournaments without any advance notice (so players keep wasting time on waiting) and there isn't shadow of remorse in CM after that.
We virtually must beg him to do his job, constantly reminding about weekly posts and tourneys.
He single-handedly paralyzed russian translation: http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=66421.0
It was direct blow in future game income, since russian market is huge thus important.

From time to time our 'great' CM disappears like Houdini for few hours or days and literally no one has the slightest idea where... Quite admirable feat, unfortunately not too useful since community manager is 24/7 job.

He can't even keep his own promises: http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=66412.0
(And it wasn't even his first time doing so).
That was public suicide as CM, I have no idea how he kept job after that, my imagination just fails to understand it, even taking into account low standards in LM. Keeping him as CM after all of he did and did not is like keeping ticking bomb in hope it will not blow up and is and will be clear signal to community - we really don't care what you all think, we tolerate incompetence and indolence of person who is (or at least should be) face of our game,

I have access to PM's when he offended well known and honored members of our community.
What mockery is this where person responsible for communication can't hold his own emotions and keep offending such players?
As CM he can't show any negative emotions to players, that alone disqualify him in this job.
Just to be clear, those players wanted to offer help and feedback to make overall gaming experience better and such, they meant no harm.

All we see are his lame explanations and empty promises of improvement after countless screw-ups - all lies.
There is no excuse for such behavior. DrewUniverse proved over and over to be harmful for our game and provided, provide and
will provide negative feedback, now just from his mere existence alone. He is by no means reliable and lost our trust long time ago.
And before someone will start to defend him saying he sometimes does something -
I want to notice that it's his puffying job and should be taken as a given for God's sake!
All meaningful changes were done with the help of global moderators, previous council members etc,
They already do most of CM job (in their free time as volunteers!), and may do rest if needed.
All that's left are 'weekly' posts, but let be serious - I could write better posts in less than hour and english isn't even my first language...
So what our CM really does? I may as well answer he does nothing, and it'll be not far from truth.
I would like to conclude by saying that current CM is easily replaceable and temporary absence of CM position will not affect negatively IW in any way even in long term.
We only tolerate him due to circumstances, but enough is enough.
Time to end this farce with him being CM, someone who chose him should just admit it was big and costly mistake and be done with it.
PS I didn't mention my own personal issues with CM so you shouldn't accuse me of bias :)

Offline Dark.Lord

• View Profile
Re: Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:50:06 PM »
Just shut up and lose to my death blast dammit.

Okay jokes asaid, WHAT ABOUT TECH KNIGHT ???? That card is more playable now. Seriously it took them 5 months to give the card +2 and you all complaining like this ?
Jeez...

All you do is sit all day long playing games whole drew is OBVIOUSLY talking with + sized models for the future of the game dammit.

Complaints complaints that ain't getting us no where... now excuse me I'm gonna grab my phone and play IW. Of wait nvm I can't do that yet.

Well what ever I'll play some games with my guild mates... hmm puffy I forgot we don't have that...

Not a big deal though I will play a ranked match or two..

*1000 years later*

Okay that option is out of the equation as well..

Then.. then I will ..... build a new deck.

puffy game crashed while I was dragging a card ..

Anyway it doesn't matter because now I know what to do. I will uninstal the game that should be fun...

Dammit even the uninstal option is glitched....

Okay you might be right I give up.

-SaltyKnight69

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 04:18:41 PM »
+1 to everything NTL said. Even though I have since cooled down and Russian translation isn't as paralyzed anymore, I still think Drew isn't an adequate CM. He is too personal and constantly forgets his own promises (see latest post on the translation boards.)

Offline quangtit01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »
Hide ur Cheese boysssss

Offline Drevoed

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
First of all, lynching is very not cool of you.

But more on point, as far as I know, he's constantly busy with the work, I often want to casually chat with him as a friend, and he rarely has any spare time for that. If you need more CM support in game 24/7, solution is to ask for more community managers, not changing the only one we have in hopes to find a person who literally never sleeps, knows the game, nice with people, fluent in English, etc. If anything, we should keep him at all costs.

You don't "have to beg him to do his job", he's doing the best he can, and you are only interrupting him with that.

I believe russian translation was almost complete last time I checked, and my help wasn't needed, but I'm still free to do any russian translation required in place of Zekses.

He made a few mistakes in the past, and as I understand it, namely setting his deadlines incorrectly, which isn't really a big deal imo, and the big one being talking to some of the vets as a person and expecting them to act maturely.

All in all, I believe he's doing a great job right now, and we still have plently of time before the full Rebellion release to see how he will perform.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:18:12 PM by Drevoed »

Offline NTL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »

First of all, lynching is very not cool of you.
And so is quality of his 'work'.

But more on point, as far as I know, he's constantly busy with the work, I often want to casually chat with him as a friend, and he rarely has any spare time for that. If you need more CM support in game 24/7, solution is to ask for more community managers, not changing the only one we have in hopes to find a person who literally never sleeps, knows the game, nice with people, fluent in English, etc. If anything, we should keep him at all costs.

You don't "have to beg him to do his job", he's doing the best he can, and you are only interrupting him with that.
Maybe best he can is just not enough? (rhetorical question)

I believe russian translation was almost complete last time I checked, and my help wasn't needed, but I'm still free to do any russian translation required in place of Zekses.
Zekses already answered it.

He made a few mistakes in the past, and as I understand it, namely setting his deadlines incorrectly, which isn't really a big deal imo, and the big one being talking to some of the vets as a person and expecting them to act maturely.

All in all, I believe he's doing a great job right now, and we still have plently of time before the full Rebellion release to see how he will perform.

You are good friend, trying to defend lost case, I will give you that much  :)

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
What is a good CM?

I think its a given, that you cant please everyone. If you make 1 part of a group happy, most of the time the other part will be unpleased.

Is there any evaluation, what the community is rly expecting from DrewUniverse?

Personally, i would be glad, if there is someone in the forums answering ALL questions and is monitoring/leading some kind of dialogue in various posts. Getting from time to time some insight, of what is happening in Yodomares office and frequent announcements of some promo-stuff which gives player the idea that the game is alive! And beeing online/ingame right after a patch!

So right now, pretty much the differnt of what i do see DrewUniverse is doing. I dont know what he is doing, but im sure he is fullfilling his duty according to the contract he has signed.

Maybe DrewUniverse should do some kind of restart. Telling the community some kind of vision, he is heading towards. And what we can expect of him and what not - and if there are good reasons for leaving a clumsy and unreliable impression, maybe just name them. People can only understand your situation, if you are telling them!

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 11:20:29 PM »
Currently I, personally, find it extremely hard to trust yodomare when they have chosen Drew to be thier public face. The missed deadlines and failed promises completely aside his interactions with several people (including myself) have at times been at best unprofessional and at worse offensive and insulting. Yodomare choosing to keep him on in any sort of public capacity tells me that either his supervisors are condoning this behavior, or that they are unaware of it, neither of which are acceptable.

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 12:30:44 AM »
Drew is a community manager but he doesn't care about the community. Every time he promises stuff done at a certain date he doesn't deliver, worse, he doesn't bother to keep ppl updated. Those same ppl that were promised a specific deadline and are probably waiting.

Latest example: he promised the status of translation to be updated "tomorrow" and forgot about the forum for 4 days. Even when he has been asked there about what's going on, he STILL didnt answer and it took me (as usual) mocking him on discord to make a status update happen.

Drew, I am NOT your personal organizer. Please download one and keep  those deadline reminders in check!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:32:42 AM by zekses »

Offline IguanaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 01:07:33 AM »
What a lovely thread  ::)
"Seriously if we don't bug hunt they might end up a new faction!" - Junker99

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 01:33:38 AM »
Let me summarize the past 8 months:

DrewUniverse was a great guy and surely one of the most active players that added a lot more competitive action, than the game deserved at that point with his constantly improving tournaments.

I'd like to put everyone into the time machine and take a look at these old quotes

No one has done more for the community than DrewUniverse.
My choice : DrewUniverse

Because i think IW would have died without his tournaments :)
Drew is almost for sure the 2016 player, but, you never knows...  :P

As you can see, there has been an almost entire mutual agreement that Drew is going to be Player of the Year 2016 at such an early point.

I'd also like to add my personal appreciation for his motivating and encouraging work. He has also complimented stuff other people did and motivated them.

But it all changed when the fire nation attacked...

Drew became CM. At first he did a decent job. Communicated with the community, was mostly on schedule and was friendly/professional about his job.

From my perspective, he couldn't handle his workload. So slowly but steadily his productivity and efficiency dropped. Weekly posts were delayed, tournaments were cancelled, community interaction has decreased and professional communication has derailed to personal feuds (like personally attacking people in PM).

The opinions of many people has evolved from "DrewUniverse for player of the year 2016" to "DrewUniverse, the most unreliable and unprofessional CM in IW history".

I don't exactly know why his quality has dropped that abruptly, but I believe that he can't handle the workload and fix discipline required to fulfil his job as a CM.

Not trying to be offensive, but it would've been much better to keep Drew as a tournament host and made it voluntarily with developer support (providing him with sufficient rewards and maybe helping him plan/schedule stuff).

I can't fully agree with NTL, since I believe quite a bit of what he said is exaggerated and mixed with personal emotions, but I do agree that Drew isn't fulfilling the role as a CM, like he should be. Or as Merlin said, either LM isn't aware of his lack of competence, or that are condoning the behaviour.

My suggestion: Make Drew a dedicated tournament host again (if he is willed) and find someone more fitting for the CM role.

This recently happened with my football club: We had a bad season, then the coach got fired. The coach of the youth team got promoted to chief-coach of the first team and he did a fine job at first. Won quite a few games and stabiized the system. However, he couldn't keep it consistent, and we started losing game after game resulting in dropping down a league at the end of the season. Then he also got fired, although he was great as youth team coach and just got gutted by having too many new responsibilities and workload at once.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 01:49:28 AM »
To also speak up in Drew's defense, he has not failed at everything. I worked with him a lot over the summer, and every time we set a deadline it was met. He has been extremely helpful--like I said last time someone made a thread complaining about him, I couldn't have run my tournament without him.

Also consider that during Drarz's CDC where Drarz couldn't judge all of the entries--Drew arranged for a team of judges to take over and ensure a smooth transition in spite of the over 50 participants. Drew's work supporting the CDC has been prompt and helpful.

I'm not sure how you can confirm that he's only rarely online.

You mention that his successes don't matter because we shouldn't have to beg him to do his job, but we have no knowledge of how much behind-the-scenes work he's doing--the impression I've received is that he's been working on quite a bit that he can't share with us yet.

The truth is that no matter what Drew does to improve, most of you have given up on him completely and can't see past the negatives to the work that has actually been accomplished.

Don't worry, I'm sure NTL has some good memes for this.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 02:46:56 AM »
Don't worry, I'm sure NTL has some good memes for this.
Not sure about NTL, but I can give you a run for your money. Consider this a factual arguementation of each point with as little personal emotions involved as possible.

To also speak up in Drew's defense, he has not failed at everything. I worked with him a lot over the summer, and every time we set a deadline it was met. He has been extremely helpful--like I said last time someone made a thread complaining about him, I couldn't have run my tournament without him.
Setting a deadline and meeting it, is as we know, not one of his strengths. Infact, it has proven to be more of a coin flip, in which you got the possitive effect.

Helping your tournament is another one of those cases. As for my or Largenugget's 24h-Stream, I can't really recall getting any help at all by LM/Yodo1 (usually communicated by the CM). I measely had him appear at the end of my stream and let me preview the card art preemptively. That's the entire support (no, I don't need an apology for that again).

Also consider that during Drarz's CDC where Drarz couldn't judge all of the entries--Drew arranged for a team of judges to take over and ensure a smooth transition in spite of the over 50 participants. Drew's work supporting the CDC has been prompt and helpful.
CDC's have not been getting the attention they deserved. Drew only took care of them after many impulses from the community (including a PM from me and probably some others). Thus I wouldn't call it prompt. Helpful only with limits.

On a side note: Drew has looked into my CDC Rules Suggestions topic and said he liked the idea quite a lot. Yet I do not see any post that inclines him enforcing that into CDC. Again, missed effort on a simple task (pre-written even).

I'm not sure how you can confirm that he's only rarely online.
I don't know about that either. There have been times where I havn't seem him online for days and seriously worried about him losing faith in IW's success. He has been on much more lately though.

You mention that his successes don't matter because we shouldn't have to beg him to do his job, but we have no knowledge of how much behind-the-scenes work he's doing--the impression I've received is that he's been working on quite a bit that he can't share with us yet.
We can have an idea about the workload behind the scenes, since he often explains them to us (such as team meetings, all his lists and the other stuff he is "doing"). However, there is a way more important and more informative source: Teremus. While we don't know his exact workload either, he always did a lot and stayed in touch. Much more than Drew does now, which is weird because the 2nd half of last year wasn't very eventful, infact even the opposite, so teremus had less to write about yet did more in total.

I'd like to actually see some more results before I further go into success assumptions though.

The truth is that no matter what Drew does to improve, most of you have given up on him completely and can't see past the negatives to the work that has actually been accomplished.
Take it from an optimistic person (that started out very possitive in IW): One right doesn't clean out all his mistakes. And vice versa, one mistake doesn't mean everything is puffye. I do see a lot more weight on the side of mistakes Drew has commited though. Not only has he not acted unprofessional in fulfilling his responsibilities as a CM, he has also acted unprofessional towards players. The few remarkable feats he has contributed to are minor to the mistakes he has commited.

You are now accusing other people of being ignorant towards any possitive changes. While that might be true for some players, it is a rather bold statement. Also, don't blame these people for doing so, they have been promised A LOT more than what is actually released at this point.

Drew has a lot of puffy to wipe up before people can actually see the floor again. You have the right to defend him, and while I am sure that you have a point or two which are true to some extent, to me it appears that your post is influenced by your possitive emotional bias regarding Drew and makes your way of thinking slightly flawed.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 04:40:24 AM »
I unfortunately, can condone neither Drews behavior, nor this thread.
Goose got me loose!

Offline NTL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
Entire community, and only 2 players felt like defending CM so far. Surprising? Not at all...
I forgot to add something important in my initial post, but there are kind people those provide me support and reminded me of that. Thank you  ;D

If you don't like the game, go play another one !
Guess I can just leave it without any comment.