Author Topic: Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM  (Read 7377 times)

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
Re: Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2016, 08:11:11 AM »
You get points for identifying a problem AND providing a solution - something this thread has a real lack of. Just saying "Get/gut the new guy" isn't really all that helpful unless we can clearly identify how the ideal CM ought to interact with the community.

The thing is we've already done those threads ecliptix. We already identified issues and suggested solutions and in fact yodomare already committed to implementing those solutions to an extent. For exaaaaaample they committed to providing short weekly updates on progress and upcoming events. These were going fine uptil Drew. Rikki never missed a single one. Whereas this weeks post is already 3 days late and is the 4th late post in a row. And this is after he promised this would never happen again and that even if he couldn't do it because of some unforeseen crazy circumstance he would then get Chappie to step in and do it for him. I haven't even seen him this week, ive not seen him in global or discord or forums at all. Has anyone else? He seems to be just perma afk and late. He is PAID to be the most active, accessible person in the community and he is one of the least.

Theres nothing personal or dramatic about that, he simply is not doing his job. People are just wondering why. Nothing sensational about that IMO.
Goose got me loose!

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
yea. being paid. thats the most of it. many ppl seem to be more dedicated and not payed than ppl being not dedicated that get payed.
actually i feel its kinda crazy to bash the OP for a post that couldve had come from anyone.
but now that adora has stated what he thinks i guess y'all in the end will say what he said is right, problem fixed.

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
Well I mean communication is not a 1 person problem either. Its up to the whole Yodomare team to work AS a team to ensure a professional and friendly appearance with a smooth flow of information in both directions.
So if Drew isn't getting the support or resources he needs to be able to do his job then its up to the team to iron those kinks out as well. IMO good communication is a responsibility the entire team shares, and has to work together to maintain. Because the entire team needs to be on the same page within the group to be able to operate efficiently themselves and also because the entire team looks bad when external communication is poor.
I would love to see crisp, professional, friendly and clear communication from Yodomare. I would love to see them do what it takes to turn that aspect of the business from a weakness to a strength.
Goose got me loose!

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 06:31:28 AM »
Well I mean communication is not a 1 person problem either. Its up to the whole Yodomare team to work AS a team to ensure a professional and friendly appearance with a smooth flow of information in both directions.
So if Drew isn't getting the support or resources he needs to be able to do his job then its up to the team to iron those kinks out as well. IMO good communication is a responsibility the entire team shares, and has to work together to maintain. Because the entire team needs to be on the same page within the group to be able to operate efficiently themselves and also because the entire team looks bad when external communication is poor.
I would love to see crisp, professional, friendly and clear communication from Yodomare. I would love to see them do what it takes to turn that aspect of the business from a weakness to a strength.
Last time I adressed this issue and there being a serious business plan flaw, I got mauled for it. Drew also mentioned there is a backup plan for when he isn't there and some other stuff.

If you are interested in the entire discussion: http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=65976.15

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »
Players are always entitled to their opinion.

Players are requested that they respect other players, and at least be respectful of staff. "Respect" is not confined to being agreeable. Respect can be displayed while also disagreeing or stating criticism.

OP should acknowledge that there are other perspectives on Drew's work, and that their own experience should be considered one version of a sample demographic. Another demographic exists that disagrees with their point of view.

All of these perspectives can co-exist in respect, don't lose sight of that. Don't let yourself become so absorbed that you can't see past the confined wisdom that we as humans all share.

These kinds of topics are a difficult pill to swallow for a CM, especially when there's a lot they cannot say or do with the handcuffs placed on them. It's one reason I've stepped away from the Video Game industry for such a time as I have, as I refuse to be a part of the bureaucracy and corporate nature I've been "Paid" to be a part of. I became very disillusioned and disheartened with the background mistreatment of player sentiment despite my best efforts.

I will not be a part of a games studio that is incapable of treating the player perspective with the level of respect it deserves. I've become a firm believer of the mentality that the best marketing a game can have is positive word of mouth, which many haven't realized will never happen if you don't place the community perspective on a high pedestal.

Players in our current generation are much more demanding than they were years ago, it's no longer enough to simply create a quality product. In the case of an Online Multiplayer Game there is much more that is necessary in modern game development. The longer studios put off proper User Engagement and Learning and use CM's as a Marketing tool rather than what we can truly do, the longer this industry will suffer.

I don't know where Yodmare is at with any of their original desires for Infinity Wars, but it looks like it's going nowhere fast and Drew is stuck in a very similar position I was in a little more than a year ago.

I love this game, and I really wish it could have been realized in all its potential glory.

Perhaps Drew hasn't been living up to your expectations, that's on him. I still see many of the standards I instilled in this community back in 2012 living today which I'm glad to see - hopefully that never dies.

With Love, Health, Happiness and Cheese ~

Teremus.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:59:41 PM by Teremus »
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2016, 06:06:24 PM »
I will not be a part of a games studio that is incapable of treating the player perspective with the level of respect it deserves. I've become a firm believer of the mentality that the best marketing a game can have is positive word of mouth, which many haven't realized will never happen if you don't place the community perspective on a high pedestal.

+1
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Hacker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
Players are always entitled to their opinion.

Players are requested that they respect other players, and at least be respectful of staff. "Respect" is not confined to being agreeable. Respect can be displayed while also disagreeing or stating criticism.

OP should acknowledge that there are other perspectives on Drew's work, and that their own experience should be considered one version of a sample demographic. Another demographic exists that disagrees with their point of view.

All of these perspectives can co-exist in respect, don't lose sight of that. Don't let yourself become so absorbed that you can't see past the confined wisdom that we as humans all share.

These kinds of topics are a difficult pill to swallow for a CM, especially when there's a lot they cannot say or do with the handcuffs placed on them. It's one reason I've stepped away from the Video Game industry for such a time as I have, as I refuse to be a part of the bureaucracy and corporate nature I've been "Paid" to be a part of. I became very disillusioned and disheartened with the background mistreatment of player sentiment despite my best efforts.

Players in our current generation are much more demanding than they were years ago, it's no longer enough to simply create a quality product. In the case of an Online Multiplayer Game there is much more that is necessary in modern game development. The longer studios put off proper User Engagement and Learning and use CM's as a Marketing tool rather than what we can truly do, the longer this industry will suffer.

I don't know where Yodmare is at with any of their original desires for Infinity Wars, but it looks like it's going nowhere fast and Drew is stuck in a very similar position I was in a little more than a year ago.

I love this game, and I really wish it could have been realized in all its potential glory.

Perhaps Drew hasn't been living up to your expectations, that's on him. I still see many of the standards I instilled in this community back in 2012 living today which I'm glad to see - hopefully that never dies.

With Love, Health, Happiness and Cheese ~

Teremus.

I think Teremus has hit the hail on the head, a game lives and dies on the happiness of its end users. Developers, programmers, card designers and company executives in the end manage the direction of a game but they need to listen to their player base.

I've been here more than three years now and when I joined there were a lot of Alpha players selling up and jumping ship due to poor communication and ongoing bugs. The bugs are slowly going away but others seem to pop up that we thought were eradicated. Communication and listening is something I became a mod to change. We have finally got a foot in the door again to look at balancing rebellion and hopefully reworking older cards at a later date that have lost their place in the game due to them being outdated by newer cards.

It is the players that are here day after day that see the issues and truly understand the intricacies of the game. Sitting behind a desk designing cards does not necessarily make you the best person to understand how to balance a game. If you do not play something of the nature of a complicated TCG like IW on a daily basis you don't see the potential problems with new cards or truly understand the frustrations of features that are not working correctly. The product needs to be smooth and the players are the ones who can help achieve this.

This doesn't mean that all our ideas will be grabbed with open arms, there are a lot of great minds in this game but no one person sees the whole picture.

The potential for this game is there as it always has been but to achieve what it should, it needs a lot more communication (which is two way).

In relation to Drew's performance I don't think you can fairly compare the role he has now with the role that Teremus did, his role was set up by Yodo and entails a lot of things that Teremus never had to worry about. The scope of the position is probably outside of what one person can handle with all the back end and administrative duties that have been added. he now has some additional support from the community Mod's who can provide assistance and answers to players questions and I would like to see these roles expanded going into the future.

I would expect that Drew would now be able to keep to his proposed and promised timeframes for things he promises to the player base with the additional support he has and if not then perhaps his duties in relation to the role need to be looked at to ensure that he can fulfill the components that Yodo see as integral to his position and other tasks can be redirected to other staff or Mod's to make his core duties achievable.

I will end with this. For everyone from the top pf this game to the bottom, Treat people as you would wish to be treated yourself. As a manger how do you wish to be treated by your staff and customers, as a customer how do you wish to be treated by the company who want your hard earned dollars.

What we have lost site of is that a community is everyone from the top to the bottom, from the community leaders down to the person working the fields. A little democratic behavior will go a long way in fixing many issues and helping the community to thrive, but fight amongst yourselves and the civil war will have no winners just a bleak outcome.

The Hacker

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
I think Teremus has hit the hail on the head, a game lives and dies on the happiness of its end users. Developers, programmers, card designers and company executives in the end manage the direction of a game but they need to listen to their player base.

I've been here more than three years now and when I joined there were a lot of Alpha players selling up and jumping ship due to poor communication and ongoing bugs. The bugs are slowly going away but others seem to pop up that we thought were eradicated. Communication and listening is something I became a mod to change. We have finally got a foot in the door again to look at balancing rebellion and hopefully reworking older cards at a later date that have lost their place in the game due to them being outdated by newer cards.

It is the players that are here day after day that see the issues and truly understand the intricacies of the game. Sitting behind a desk designing cards does not necessarily make you the best person to understand how to balance a game. If you do not play something of the nature of a complicated TCG like IW on a daily basis you don't see the potential problems with new cards or truly understand the frustrations of features that are not working correctly. The product needs to be smooth and the players are the ones who can help achieve this.

This doesn't mean that all our ideas will be grabbed with open arms, there are a lot of great minds in this game but no one person sees the whole picture.

The potential for this game is there as it always has been but to achieve what it should, it needs a lot more communication (which is two way).

In relation to Drew's performance I don't think you can fairly compare the role he has now with the role that Teremus did, his role was set up by Yodo and entails a lot of things that Teremus never had to worry about. The scope of the position is probably outside of what one person can handle with all the back end and administrative duties that have been added. he now has some additional support from the community Mod's who can provide assistance and answers to players questions and I would like to see these roles expanded going into the future.

I would expect that Drew would now be able to keep to his proposed and promised timeframes for things he promises to the player base with the additional support he has and if not then perhaps his duties in relation to the role need to be looked at to ensure that he can fulfill the components that Yodo see as integral to his position and other tasks can be redirected to other staff or Mod's to make his core duties achievable.

I will end with this. For everyone from the top pf this game to the bottom, Treat people as you would wish to be treated yourself. As a manger how do you wish to be treated by your staff and customers, as a customer how do you wish to be treated by the company who want your hard earned dollars.

What we have lost site of is that a community is everyone from the top to the bottom, from the community leaders down to the person working the fields. A little democratic behavior will go a long way in fixing many issues and helping the community to thrive, but fight amongst yourselves and the civil war will have no winners just a bleak outcome.

Wise words from a wise old man :P

Offline quangtit01

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »

iirc he's 50... A bit mindblowing to think abt

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 05:03:03 PM »

iirc he's 50... A bit mindblowing to think abt
Hacker be like   :P
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2016, 05:59:14 PM »

TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
INCITE ALL OVER AGAIN

That is what many of us have been doing. We are holding someone else to the standards we have instilled onto ourselves. I for one would never break a promise. Do you know how this is possible? I never make promises, I don't keep. I don't think I'd ever break a promise unless I had good reason to, like to save a loved one's life. Knowing that I have honored every single promise in my life helps me sleep soundly at night. As for missed deadlines, that is hardly ever an issue for me, I can recognize an impossible deadline when I see one. All of Drew's deadlines have not been impossible. Granted I don't know what he does behind the scenes, but basically from what I've seen and done, I could have English translation texts & flavor texts edited and updated within a week or two. (I manually went over, typed and edited all the texts on the Descendants of the Dragons Faction minus the Flavor Text in a matter of 3 hours for fun) But something as simple as Tournament prize distribution seems like something I could do within 1 hour after a Tournament. (Excuse I'd accept for Drew is if the Prize Distribution is broken) (Excuse I wouldn't accept, Tournament Prize Distribution broken by Developers) In a position of power, I would never belittle another. Very similar to Teremus's ideologies, everyone's opinion is valid. Like you said everyone should be treated as you expect to be treated yourself (Golden Rule). I have learned to tolerate Pupils & even Liquidavatar, when at first we didn't even see eye to eye on many things, especially their personalities. To me it seems almost impossible to get into such petty arguments with people as kind as Adorabear, Pelagoth, NTL, etc. I have and will give Drew the benefit of the doubt with regards to personal relations because it's likely that the emotional discharge of the players frustration on the game have been redirected to Drew. We all know the customer is not always right, but it's best to make them seem like they are always right. Sometimes they are right, and it is a good idea to listen to them, especially when customers are the ones who pay the wages of the developers. Both the developers and Drew, seem to have a very narrow view of what is best for the game and its future. But like Drew has said, if we don't like the game we can always leave. This is my least favorite option, but if this is the only option I'm not going to stay, trying to convince deaf ears. There are better options for developers instead of saying "If you don't like what we are doing, leave." They can probably compromise with player demands. But overall, all this talk is meaningless if the most important core necessities of a game aren't delivered such as Bug Fixes. What you hope for, what you wish for, what you expect to happen, won't, unless it can be physically be done. And as far as we have seen, it doesn't seem likely. Have I lost all hope? No, I'm not a person who loses hope, ever. But that's more along the lines of my personality and has nothing to do with what LM has done or hasn't done. But I do expect more from both the community, Drew, and especially the Developers.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:54:37 PM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2016, 05:42:30 AM »
Hmm... The only thing more annoying than this thread is the fallen momentum of the game.

I left this game for a while for school and work reasons. After getting used to my new schedule I stayed gone out of disappointment for the state of the game. But I've come back because I just can't stay away from this game. I love it. I really do. All I can think about is how much better it could have been by now if they did things a little differently. After reading everything, the game does feel like it's dying again. And I think the community has fallen again. I play much more often now and I'm running into the same players again and not into new players like before. -sigh-
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 10:12:12 PM »

Offline NTL

• If you think I'm wrong - think harder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 11:43:22 PM »

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2016, 01:37:36 AM »
Bump