Author Topic: Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Goldschuss

• Death Ray, I don't like you
    • View Profile
Re: Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »
So what about this statement?

He stated his opinion, like any other player could and I see no wrongdoings in this one.
And this is precisely what I see in a community manager: He is just a normal player that acts as a connection between players and devs and thus has some more privileges and duties, but that's about it, he can state his opinion freely.

Of course he shouldn't insult players, but that is a general rule for every player of infinity wars, not just limited to him. Somewhere in this thread it is mentionend that he would insult players in the worst case scenario - something that has yet to be proven, as well as the statement that he is actually paid for his work.

Offline toon310

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 01:18:42 PM »
Cmon guys why all this hate ?

Drew is alone to do a lot of stuff, he can't be there 24h/7d, he has a life on the side too, he must take care of : the tourneys, the forums, the weekly post, the translations, and so on (so many things we don't know) and you know what ? He is human !!! ok not a machine and if somebody pisses him, he might overreacting !

Don't act like : "i could do a better job", because you simply know nothing ... you think you know but you don't

It's so easy to throw critics on somebody that is alone to do everything, maybe you can offer him your help and you will see how hard it is.

Offline Heyheuhei

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
Cmon guys why all this hate ?

Drew is alone to do a lot of stuff, he can't be there 24h/7d, he has a life on the side too, he must take care of : the tourneys, the forums, the weekly post, the translations, and so on (so many things we don't know) and you know what ? He is human !!! ok not a machine and if somebody pisses him, he might overreacting !

Don't act like : "i could do a better job", because you simply know nothing ... you think you know but you don't

It's so easy to throw critics on somebody that is alone to do everything, maybe you can offer him your help and you will see how hard it is.

+1

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
Drew is alone to do a lot of stuff, he can't be there 24h/7d, he has a life on the side too, he must take care of : the tourneys, the forums, the weekly post, the translations, and so on (so many things we don't know) and you know what ?

My personal problem with drew isnt that he is overworked and does nothing.  I know he is and I can respect that he does stuff at least. My problem with him is that he KNOWS he is overworked, knows he forgets things, but still freely promises stuff left and right that never gets done (in time).

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »
I dunno, I did offer him my help. I even offered to write his posts for him. I also worked closely with Teremus for years so I know quite a bit about what the role is like. I dont remember Rikki ever being late with anything and never sent players rude messages or harassed players until they left the game. Same with Teremus.

I think theres real issues, but I also don't think this is the way to address issues like this at all. If you have an issue with a staff member you should talk to them about it privately and if they are unreasonable then you should talk to Crestmore about it. I don't think a thread like this helps things.
Goose got me loose!

Offline toon310

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
I dunno, I did offer him my help. I even offered to write his posts for him. I also worked closely with Teremus for years so I know quite a bit about what the role is like. I dont remember Rikki ever being late with anything and never sent players rude messages or harassed players until they left the game. Same with Teremus.

I think theres real issues, but I also don't think this is the way to address issues like this at all. If you have an issue with a staff member you should talk to them about it privately and if they are unreasonable then you should talk to Crestmore about it. I don't think a thread like this helps things.

I agree that this kind of public attack won't solve anything. it also gives a bad picture of the game.

I also agree that a CM should learn to keep cool, whatever the circumstances, but sometimes people can be really trash and it's easy to loose his temper.

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »
I also don't think this is the way to address issues like this at all.
I agree to this. I said it to NTL privately already and to stay objective about it if he were to do it. Just wanted to add some facts that were lost in an emotional rant (OP) along with an alternative (making Drew sole tournament host again).

Only issue I personally have, is that I don't want this game to die. I want this game to bloom and the way things were handled previously, have not helped that one bit. Mainly the way the game is represented in both marketing and communication (via CM). Both of them have lacked in the past (i.e. delayed weekly posts and plus-size-model ad) and they continue to do so (still notice a lack of communication/activity by the CM and still no further marketing done).

I could care less about a CMs behaviour towards his crowd if the quality of the game doesn't suffer from it.

Offline NTL

• If you think I'm wrong - think harder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 03:07:52 AM »
Some if you stated this is not the way to address issues like this at all and it's valid point.
I was aware of that, yet I decided to made it public to not be ignored and let you guys speak what you think about DrewUniverse as community manager.

You say I know nothing, but I assure you I know a little more than most of you, I know and chat with people with behind the scenes knowledge, and they are all negative about current CM and the person who know the most is the most negative.
They just don't want want or can't be involved in public discussion, they have to abstain from all comments.

I don't know his full job description, but I can review what I see and it looks really bad for him.
I also can compare DrewUniverse to previous CM's, both Teremus and Rikki has done a better job and were much more professional.
He is human, ok I get it... so we can't judge him LOL
If he can't keep emotions in check, then this is not job for him - as simple as that.

Offline antideath

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 03:53:09 PM »
drew should lock this and hide thread and discuss in Private messages.
posting this in public is lame. shame on the poster.

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 04:45:20 PM »
first of all: NTL has every right to post this here. it is not insulting, it is his perspective on the things that happened and he has every right to say what he thinks or to go even further, it is NECESSARY that those things are posted if anyone feels like it IMO.

second of all

Let me summarize the past 8 months:

DrewUniverse was a great guy and surely one of the most active players that added a lot more competitive action, than the game deserved at that point with his constantly improving tournaments.

I'd like to put everyone into the time machine and take a look at these old quotes

No one has done more for the community than DrewUniverse.
My choice : DrewUniverse

Because i think IW would have died without his tournaments :)
Drew is almost for sure the 2016 player, but, you never knows...  :P

As you can see, there has been an almost entire mutual agreement that Drew is going to be Player of the Year 2016 at such an early point.

I'd also like to add my personal appreciation for his motivating and encouraging work. He has also complimented stuff other people did and motivated them.

But it all changed when the fire nation attacked...

Drew became CM. At first he did a decent job. Communicated with the community, was mostly on schedule and was friendly/professional about his job.

From my perspective, he couldn't handle his workload. So slowly but steadily his productivity and efficiency dropped. Weekly posts were delayed, tournaments were cancelled, community interaction has decreased and professional communication has derailed to personal feuds (like personally attacking people in PM).

The opinions of many people has evolved from "DrewUniverse for player of the year 2016" to "DrewUniverse, the most unreliable and unprofessional CM in IW history".

I don't exactly know why his quality has dropped that abruptly, but I believe that he can't handle the workload and fix discipline required to fulfil his job as a CM.

Not trying to be offensive, but it would've been much better to keep Drew as a tournament host and made it voluntarily with developer support (providing him with sufficient rewards and maybe helping him plan/schedule stuff).

I can't fully agree with NTL, since I believe quite a bit of what he said is exaggerated and mixed with personal emotions, but I do agree that Drew isn't fulfilling the role as a CM, like he should be. Or as Merlin said, either LM isn't aware of his lack of competence, or that are condoning the behaviour.

My suggestion: Make Drew a dedicated tournament host again (if he is willed) and find someone more fitting for the CM role.

This recently happened with my football club: We had a bad season, then the coach got fired. The coach of the youth team got promoted to chief-coach of the first team and he did a fine job at first. Won quite a few games and stabiized the system. However, he couldn't keep it consistent, and we started losing game after game resulting in dropping down a league at the end of the season. Then he also got fired, although he was great as youth team coach and just got gutted by having too many new responsibilities and workload at once.

+1

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
NTL has every right to post this. Although I do not condone this message nor his course of action currently, Drew or any developer has no right to lock/delete this thread. You have to ask yourself, why would someone go to extreme lengths to criticize another if they had done nothing wrong. This isn't the first time a thread with this similar topic has risen. There are also many people who side with NTL. Silencing someone just because you don't agree with their opinion is wrong on so many levels. NTL has provided a case of reasonable doubt and explained his stance on this issue in a mature manner. How is it possible for so many people to have such disdain for a prominent member of the community/LM authority figure, who was once the runner up for "player- of-the-year"? A discussion in Private messages will solve nothing. Going behind someone's back to criticize them is far worse than presenting the issue to the public in a proper manner. This wasn't just an insult to "Drew and his awful crew". NTL is also a valued member of the community as well as many others who criticize the CM. So they are risking their own reputation to call attention to an issue they have with the game.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline hibbidy_jibbidy0

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 01:37:20 AM »
stay classy lol

I cant even to begin to say how messed up this is.

i feel disgusted for even reading this bs. cant imagine how ashamed I would feel if I wrote it, but most disgusting people, who feel the world has slighted them is some way can and will do everything they  can for "lol justice" and anything they say or do is justified.

this whole anger bs that has been going around reminds me a a high school drama, some body didn't get recognition for something, or somebody's opinion was not asked, or  somebody didn't get invited to the big cm party now REVEEEEENGE! revenge one everyone!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:01:20 AM by hibbidy_jibbidy0 »

Offline NTL

• If you think I'm wrong - think harder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »
If stating the facts is 'revenge' and demanding new CM who'll be at least semi-competent
and will not antagonize most active members of IW community is 'justice', then absolutely - I fight for justice and am thirsty for revenge  :)
There are more those share the same sentiment about DrewUniverse, such post would be done anyway, just not necessarily made public - which was my choice.
I speak openly, being prepared for possible consequences. I am not proud of this topic and I'm not a petty person, I have damn good reason for going to such lengths.
You can think whatever you want about me - however, it's topic about CM, not me.
If your intention was defending of CM - you failed miserably (from DrewUniverse defenders I feel like only post of Benionin was worthy of legit answer), you didn't provide any feedback, next time stay on topic or send me PM if you wish to continue talk about me and my class alone.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
I usually try to stay out of toxic topics like this, but when I see a post that looks like this:

If stating the facts is 'revenge' and demanding new CM who'll be at least semi-competent
and will not antagonize most active members of IW community is 'justice', then absolutely - I fight for justice and am thirsty for revenge  :)

I can't sit out anymore. Justice and revenge seldom, if ever, go together in the same sentence - especially when they're accompanied by a passive-aggressive smiley emoticon and the emotional charge on the conversation burned out 5 days ago.

Is Drew the best CM we've ever had? No, absolutely not. We know it and I'm pretty sure he knows it. There's a reason though that we don't name and shame - it accomplishes nothing, makes the community in general look like a bunch of petulant children and really doesn't show people the appeal that our community normally has in terms of maturity. Furthermore, when the name of a topic is "Evaluation of DrewUniverse as CM" I'm sorry - your post isn't about the CM anymore, its about DrewUniverse, who is also a CM. This topic could have just as easily been named "Finding the ideal CM" and I can almost guarantee you there would have been a radically different response which addressed the same concerns. The topic subliminally invited people to trash the person - not the position. I'm assuming that wasn't your intention, but that's what happened.

If the job someone is doing is subpar, then as a community member it is certainly within our rights to post to the community forum what your concerns are. However the OP wasn't a post about what the CM was doing wrong and what can be done better - it was an expose smearing someone and get everyone to jump onto a bandwagon of hate without coming up with any ACTUAL solutions to what is otherwise a valid concern. In the real world you don't get a pat on the head just because you can point out someone who isn't doing their job optimally. You get points for identifying a problem AND providing a solution - something this thread has a real lack of. Just saying "Get/gut the new guy" isn't really all that helpful unless we can clearly identify how the ideal CM ought to interact with the community.

This is definitely a topic that needs a detailed discussion but we're getting nowhere with a thread containing an emotional train which was derailed at some point. If anything, this thread should be locked purely on the basis of what an embarrassment it is for the community that it degraded into a daytime soap opera. To be clear, I'm not defending the current CM, but I'm also not defending this thread either.

Come on people, we're better than this.
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
There's a reason though that we don't name and shame - it accomplishes nothing, makes the community in general look like a bunch of petulant children and really doesn't show people the appeal that our community normally has in terms of maturity.

Come on people, we're better than this.

Dont underestimate the value of immature content and how many people feel attracted by this kind of entertainment.

All social media plattforms and streaming sites are build up on drama! Thats a key factor of beeing successful.

So i dont care much, how people do think about forum content... before they judge the content and the approach to different topics, they will judge the activity. And yeah - thats a part of the problem! This forum tells everyone: THIS GAME IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!

So having a forum which is alive, but immature, is still better than having a dead forum. Cause it would still attract some kind of people, instead of noone!