Author Topic: Wizard Post Number 2  (Read 445 times)

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
Wizard Post Number 2
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:13:47 PM »
Well I said you could hold me to that time frame and tada! Here I am, with post in hand.

A Little Snippet of my Novel

So last we spoke there was some small interest expressed in seeing an excerpt from the book I am working on. Keep in mind that the below is a passage from a work in progress - it may not make it into the final draft, and if it does there will likely be heavy revisions. But without further delay here it is.

The man with the scar across his eye grabbed me and forced me down into the dirt of the alleyway. “Ho, ho ho,” he chuckled to himself as his tongue lolled out like a dog’s, “ho, ho ho.”
          “I don’t have any money,” I protested, feeling the knife pressed against my ribs. I remained very still. The knife felt very sharp.
          “Ho, ho, ho,” said the man, his breath a wall of acid stench in my nostrils, “don’t want your money.”
          “What then?” I asked, feeling the knife once more and knowing in a moment I would end.
          “I want,” he licked his lips and looked down to where he held the weapon against my belly, “I want you to listen.” Rotten teeth on full display with the smile that followed that pronouncement.
          “Listen to what?” I asked, trying to keep him talking. My eyes flicked to the entrance of the alleyway, hoping desperately some passer by would see me, knowing in my gut it was futile.
          “Listen,” he said and brought his finger to his lips.
          For a moment I lay very still and very quiet. Then I heard the bells, calling for assembly in the cities center. The man puffyed his head and looked me in the eye. “Do you know what those are for? Who those are for? Ho, ho ho,” he giggled.
          “No,” I lied. I had seen the gallows not an hour before.
          The man gasped and sprang backward, off of me. “You mean you have not heard of the legendary Brandon Blackvein?” He said, clearly surprised, and clearly insane.
          “No,” I lied again as I rose, slowly so as not to alarm him, to my feet. He kept the knife pointed at me, but did not move closer. I took a deep breath of air without the reek of him.
          “Well then I shall tell you,” said the man.
          I shook my head and glanced down the alley. “No, I don’t want to know,” I wondered if I ran if I would make it before the knife could catch me. I decided the odds were not good.
          The man’s one good eye took on a curious slant. A dangerous slant. I watched the knife as he took a step toward me. In a moment I will run, I thought to myself. In just another moment.
          “You don’t understand,” he said to me then, in a voice that was new and different from the voice he had used before. “I have to tell you. I have no choice.” And when the magic hit me I knew I no longer had one either.
          So I sat down in the dust and the dirt of the alley, and the man with the scar across his eye sat down in front of me, knife still held in white knuckles. It twitched this way and that as he spoke, like an ant, feeling at the air.
          “It began at the edge of the world, before Brandon got the Black in his veins, back when the empire was still whole, and the Gods were still dead.”
          I listened as the story began. A part of me is listening still.

Other Things that have Happened

So in other news, since I was last here, I attended the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire over the weekend. For those interested their website is here http://www.parenfaire.com/faire/

I also took a trip to Longwood Gardens and Shady Maples (http://longwoodgardens.org/ and http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord respectively). All in all it was a very pleasant weekend, which I enjoyed thoroughly. All three locations are excellent if you are ever in southern PA and looking for something to do/somewhere to go, and I cannot recommend them enough.

Anyway it is going to be a relatively short post from me today - though the story excerpt more than makes up the word count. Tune in next week for more Wizard Posts - same bat time, same bat place.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
Re: Wizard Post Number 2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:16:54 PM »
Hmm. Just realized the forum censor doesn't like a word that begins with C and is a synonym for 'tilted' - even though said word is not profanity at all.

Well then, I guess.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:54 PM »
I'm guessing that's the prologue/frame of the story.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »
I'm guessing that's the prologue/frame of the story.

Indeed it do be.

Offline electro13

• You've been bamboozled!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
I was tempted to make a claim that recycling your own work shouldn't count towards the word count, but since I wanted to see the excerpt, and many posts have been primarily patch notes written by other people, and since you did meet your timeframe, I'll let it slide.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 05:47:03 PM »
But I don't care about your novel or the Renaissance Faire.

I demand you give me updates on things that I care about.