Author Topic: Drawing a line  (Read 3839 times)

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
Drawing a line
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
I refuse to participate in any kind of community work if DrewUniverse is to be the liaison between me and devs. His inability to keep even most basic of promises is appaling and, frankly, I do not want to depend on what he deems important enough to do in time.

This includes any kind of bug reporting, bug hunting, and, most importantly, translation of the game.Change the CM, add another one, any kind of solution will see me helping improve IW again, but not while Drew is in charge. I've had enough.

P.S. I guess you can call this me "holding" Drew to the promise he made about WP.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:21:57 PM by zekses »

Offline antideath

• View Profile
Re: Drewing a line
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
as a gm for another game in beta ...
(yes diffrent then a CM but i have to back them up and answer questions relay bugs all the time)
i feel your putting way too much of anger/frustration onto drew.
Even moose delayed post's due to making sure the wording and all items were conveyed,
This game is also now in beta again i hope devs do more of what they want and less of what players advise. unless its really good feedback as most can give if being constructive. This forum can be scary place to voice a concern without getting jumped on over your opinion.
I think for a one man team hes doing great...i see him in forum, and see him online all thru week, even asking the player base questions.

if your just wanting to provide translations whats the hold up? how is he slowing u down? if thats your main concern perhaps he can address that.

Offline keyranaway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »
k thx bye.

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:47:59 PM »
Even moose delayed post's due to making sure the wording and all items were conveyed,
your main concern perhaps he can address that.

You are missing 9/10th of the drama. The WP fiasko is just the final link of a long chain of broken promises. Also the most ridiculous since he set timeframe himself and told to hold him to it. And still didn't bother to notify anyone about the delay.

CM means community manager. And in the course of last couple months Drew managed to completely destroy any credibility he had by repeatedly making false promises to community members. I refuse to work with the guy like this.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:51:59 PM by zekses »

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
@Zekses, Out of curiosity did you hate Teremus too?

I understand why you don't want to work with Drew. People who are late, don't keep promises, don't do work in a timely manner or at all, are terrible co-workers.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:19:09 PM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I have been very happy with all of the work that I've done with Drew. He was an immense help during my tournament, for instance--I really couldn't have done it without him.

Likewise some of the other work that I've done with Drew has been on-point. We've made arrangements to talk and he's showed up and we've always been very productive.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I still trust Drew and support him.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:09:21 PM »
@Zekses, Out of curiosity did you hate Teremus too?

Of course I did. But that was no fault of his own. This here is completely different matter.

Offline delusionsofhope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:57 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I have been very happy with all of the work that I've done with Drew. He was an immense help during my tournament, for instance--I really couldn't have done it without him.

Likewise some of the other work that I've done with Drew has been on-point. We've made arrangements to talk and he's showed up and we've always been very productive.

Live, Laugh, Love and Enjoy a good game of Infinity Wars!

Offline GeistesblitZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »

+1, I still support Drew too. He's a genuinely nice guy who wants to help, he might not have the work habits and maybe I have too much sympathy on that front because I've had similar problems myself at work, but I think he has the best intentions at heart and because of that alone I'd personally be happy to work with him and support him whenever needed.

Offline DrewUniverse

• View Profile
Re: Drawing a line
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 09:06:29 PM »
I was a few hours behind my planned time to start working on posts to write-up yesterday. Yes. I again underestimated the work I had to do in this case, but if I was disingenuous the posts would never be written at all. I continue because it is worth something to me to do the best I can. In retrospect I should not have even posted a timeframe in public, something that more than one person has recommended. If I gave myself the deadline privately, and then got done last night, no one would know the difference. So yes, this is entirely about being able to keep promises.

One of my primary weaknesses, as a person, has been "taking on too much at once." I've lived my entire life being shouldered with a lot of responsibilities - some of them nonconsensual. Being able to do this job willingly is a huge lift of burden away from that past, but I still have some self-discipline to do. I can cite successes while I've been here, but that doesn't change your personal experience with me or my lack of keeping to a timeframe with the public. So I'll change my style, set private deadlines and when things come out they come out, no need to give something like a 24 hour promise in most cases.

Taking action is the only resolution here, I think, and we'll do the translation work without your assistance. I won't say that I will succeed with the project outright, for all I know there will be unforeseen hiccups. However, in the event that I do run that project smoothly and we succeed, you might want to consider that I am doing the best I can. This is not about what I deem is important to spend my time on - I'm not in the business of ignoring people on purpose. What I need to do, is focus and discipline myself further.

If nothing else, please do not look at me like I'm here to be inconsistent on purpose. Look at me as someone who's doing their darndest to improve as both a person and a manager. And you know something? I think I have what it takes, just a matter of showing it. Means very little to you and some others in the present tense, but it's my statement and I stand by it. You have every right to be doubtful. However, I will not feel intimidated by that or give up.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »
Quote from: DrewUniverse
What I need to do, is focus and discipline myself further.

I see you have the same habit as I when it comes to typing sentences the same way you'd speak them. Boy did that take a long, long time to break.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Kevkas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 02:50:30 AM »
While I agree some CM-related things can be improved, I think Drew is doing a good job. Wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd active CM, that would allow better coverage of the community I think, Lightmare used to put TOO MANY responsabilities on 1 CM, don't know if this is still true with Yodomare, if it is then the devs should take another look at how they distribute those things.

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 05:03:24 AM »
Well, I'll be honest here.

I do like Drew as a person. His ideas, his way to talk to others, the effort I feel he put into things... Dawn it guys, since he was only a player I did appreciate a lot what he did for the game.

So, I do confess that I am not the right person to say that he was wrong or right, because I do sympathize a lot with him.

More than that, I am terrible with deadlines in a way or another too....

Now, one thing I learn with Dale Carnegie, Zekses, is that to criticize someone prejudice not only that person image, it does prejudice our image too. That being said, I don't think it is wise to create a thread like this one, even though I recognize you have a 'kind' of positive intention here, what I do respect a lot.

But, I hope you change your mind and continue to support the game. Hope you see that to build bridges here is much better then destroy them.

And, to be honest once again, I once believed in IW cause of Teremus. Today, even if I don't like the way some things are being done here, I have faith that IW can be a great success because Drew is around.

So, -1 to you and +1 to Drew

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »
Well, I'll be honest here.

I do like Drew as a person. His ideas, his way to talk to others, the effort I feel he put into things... Dawn it guys, since he was only a player I did appreciate a lot what he did for the game.

So, I do confess that I am not the right person to say that he was wrong or right, because I do sympathize a lot with him.

More than that, I am terrible with deadlines in a way or another too....

Now, one thing I learn with Dale Carnegie, Zekses, is that to criticize someone prejudice not only that person image, it does prejudice our image too. That being said, I don't think it is wise to create a thread like this one, even though I recognize you have a 'kind' of positive intention here, what I do respect a lot.

But, I hope you change your mind and continue to support the game. Hope you see that to build bridges here is much better then destroy them.

And, to be honest once again, I once believed in IW cause of Teremus. Today, even if I don't like the way some things are being done here, I have faith that IW can be a great success because Drew is around.

So, -1 to you and +1 to Drew

+1 to all this. Not being able to meet deadlines is definitely a serious issue and it will be extremely important that drew figures out a system for himself where these regular lapses in communication *cough* still no tournaments posted for this week *cough* don't happen nearly as often if at all. That being said drew is a great guy and I think he has the potential to do a fantastic job representing our community once he builds up some experience and adjusts to the role. Being CM is not an easy job at all, and although I am really hard on him I do understand that and think he can do it.

Also drew, although I do understand you said you are doing the "best you can", personally i wouldn't settle for that if I were you. Maybe it is just that I'm a very competitive person, but I think any time you say "well I'm trying my best" when you fall short it is a pretty poor excuse and unless you literally physically were unable to do any better is kinda kidding yourself. There is always room for improvement, and although I know you know this, saying you are trying your best minimizes that improvement and limits your potential. Shoot high bro! you can do it :D

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 06:41:29 AM »
Quote from: largenuggets
Also drew, although I do understand you said you are doing the "best you can", personally i wouldn't settle for that if I were you. Maybe it is just that I'm a very competitive person, but I think any time you say "well I'm trying my best" when you fall short it is a pretty poor excuse and unless you literally physically were unable to do any better is kinda kidding yourself. There is always room for improvement, and although I know you know this, saying you are trying your best minimizes that improvement and limits your potential. Shoot high bro! you can do it :D

Quote from: The Rock (1996)
Your best? Losers complain about their best. Winners go home and ---- the prom queen!

A Sean Connery quote that Nuggets' post reminded me of.

Anyway, going to second Nuggets' sentiment that "There is always room for improvement"
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream