Author Topic: [CDC] The Promised Land--Detailed Feedback Thread  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
[CDC] The Promised Land--Detailed Feedback Thread
« on: July 28, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
There were a lot of entries in the latest Card Design Challenge--over 50, in fact. ToxicShadow and I posted our top picks in the main thread, but we wanted to make sure that everybody got feedback. Given the number of entries and the amount of space that it would take up, Shadow suggested that we make a separate thread for the detailed feedback on every entry.

In this thread ToxicShadow and I will be posting our feedback on all of the entries. We'll be doing so separately, so if you want to find out what we think of yours be sure to check both of our comments.

Note that I will be including feedback on invalid entries as well (those of the judges, multiple entrants, late participants), but they will be grouped together at the end.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:07:57 PM by Benionin »
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: [CDC] The Promised Land--Detailed Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »
Challenge:
Create a Triple Purity Location card intended to be a "win condition" card.

A card designed to finish the game once played, like the artifact Omnitron, or the character Titan of the New World, or the ability Avarrach has Risen.

There’s over fifty entries here, far too many to each the individual in-depth response it needs or deserves. To help facilitate the judging process, I’m going to use the following criteria on each card, with additional comments as I see fit.
Okay, so here’s what I’m looking for:
Does it feel like a location? Believe it or not, this was one of the most difficult criteria to satisfy in this competition.
How self-sufficient is it as a win-con? Does it win on its own or need help? Having a convoluted set-up is okay, but if it needs additional help after reaching that point it may not rate as highly.
Does it provide an opportunity for counterplay or merely win the game automatically?
How unique/creative is the design?
Does it actually fit the faction that it claims to be a part of, and does it actually feel like a triple purity card?
An additional note to everyone who mentioned whether or not their locations were unique: this has absolutely no effect on gameplay. Locations are designed in such a way that playing one will immediately sacrifice its predecessor and to not use the unique supertype. While having a “unique” supertype may prevent the abuse of on-deploy effects, this should not be a factor in your location’s design. I will ignore the unique supertype and try not to hold its use against you, but know that it’s useless trinket text.

DREWMB10
Blinding Light
3p OoS
20 cost
Blinding Light's cost is reduced 1 for each angel character you have in play.
All characters on your battlefield have flying and +4/+4.
You do not turn down Heaven's calling. You rise.

Comments:
This does certainly feel like a location, although the name doesn’t sound like one. I can picture an “Ascension Zone” or “Armory of Solace” or what have you where angels are given wings and weapons. As for self-sufficiency, if you have the 10+ angels in play to play it, the collective bonus and flying power will quickly and easily win the game barring a board wipe like Mass Death or Calamity. If you meet the set-up, it should win the game. However, if you meet the set-up you’re probably already winning, making this a “win-more” card rather than a “win-con.” There is some (limited) counterplay, much like Avarrach has Risen. The design itself is pretty standard, giving a massive stat buff and evasion. As for the purity, this is definitely an Overseers card. The emphasis on tokens, mass buffs, and flying all hearken back to the Ascension launch. It works especially well with Heaven’s Assistence. A solid card.

NATOPOTATO
Nanobot Production Facility
3 GI
12 costLocation
As an additional cost to playing Nanobot Production Facility, remove an Aleta and an Orion Character you control from the game.
At the start of each turn the top 5 Characters in your Graveyard are raised to the Support zone and become Artificial.
At the end of each turn every Artificial Character you control is healed for 6 damage and gets +4/+4.
"Even those who fall shall be part of the new world."

Comments:
Definitely a location card, the continued advantage provided by this card is a potent win-con reminiscent of both Unending Drones and Omnitron. The 12-cost and removal of Aleta and Orion (either of the two GI versions of each would work, I assume) provides a hefty hoop to jump through, but once you do you’ve more or less secured your victory. The only counterplay here once it’s out is to destroy the location, destroy the commanders, or to Grave Rob/Calamity away their graveyard/board. The design is unique, though I question the use of healing in addition to buffing, and it is definitely a triple GI location.

NUMBER11
Land of Abandonment
3p EX
14 cost
When you play the Exile cost, the card is put back into the deck and all Land of Abandonment cost two less. When in play, at the end of turn there is 50% chance that the opponents morale goes to zero.
"Outsiders in the Land of Abandonment tend to lose hope. Many have succumbed to the demon energy when they lose hope in the horrid wasteland."

Comments:
While certainly an Exiles card, this doesn’t really shout “location.” The win-con is sufficient, but the RNG aspect of it is repulsive. Sometimes it will immediately win you the game and sometimes you will be wondering where that 50% is and will curse the waste of a turn’s resources to play it. I’m not totally against RNG, but I think it can be done well and done poorly--and I feel this design is an example of poorly done RNG. Changing the cost won’t affect the toxicity of the card, so that isn’t much of a help either.

HIDING
Razor Chasms
3p FD
9 cost
Whenever a character takes combat damage, it is destroyed.
Whenever a character dies its owner loses 2 morale and draws a card.
"Good place to fight if you aren't afraid to die that is. Either you fall to your death or get impaled on a rock.... or both. Either way you won't be seeing me around if you're intent on heading in that direction."
---
Comments:
The Razor Chasms are a beautifully conceived death trap of a location. It provides late-game Flame Dawn with a way to push through that damage and find more gas, but as a win-con it is deeply dependent upon the FD player being able to flood the board with low-cost characters in the late game. It requires gas to get going, that is, and is presuming that your opponent hasn’t already turned the tide and isn’t pressuring your fortress. The design is great and it definitely feels Flame Dawn, though I would expect it to be right at home among the Exiles as well.

DARSHU
Gates of Oblivion
3x EX
9 cost
Unique Location
7 Exile
Every card in your hand gains Exile -3 of its original cost or the original exile cost if it is lower.

Comments:
This is a location, but even once you’ve played it you need to pour resources into discarding your hand in order to gain the advantage it would confer. In short, it requires too much follow-up for me to consider it a good win-con, and there’s no real opportunity for counterplay either--unless destroying it removes the exile cost from cards you’ve discarded that turn. However, location removal alone is not sufficiently interesting counterplay, because it will work on every single card in this competition. The design hinges upon an aspect of the Exiles that has long been abandoned (unfortunately), and while an interesting take it doesn’t feel all that inspired.

NIBIRU23
 Burning Hell
3p verore
Cost 18
Burning Hell cost is reduced by 1 for each creature that died in the previous turn.
At Start of the turn all non-fly creature become immolated by 2 and all immolated creatures take 2 damage at the end of the turn.
At start of each turn create two 3/3 demon with flying and all flying demons get +3/+3

Comments:
To play this, you’ll need to have killed at least 8 characters in a single turn. As a triple CoV player, you’re already winning at that point. The subsequent continuous board wipes and demon swarms are appropriately Verorian and even allow for some aerial counterplay while preserving the win-condition intent. The concept of the ground itself burning and damaging all players is incredibly flavorful and feels Verore even if Immolate is usually a Flame Dawn keyword. Solid design.

GUSTAVONUNCHO
Purity 3Exiles, Cost 3, Location
After each turn you discarded a card, your opponent must discard 1 card.

Comments:
The problem with this design is that it feels more like an Exiles artifact than location, is not a win-con, and the only counterplay is to either draw extra cards, vomit out your hand, or play as the Exiles themselves so you can run cards with Exile costs. The design is clever but uninnovative, but it is definitely an Exiles card.

KINGMICKEY
Reign of Solace/Second Coming
Triple Overseers of Solace purity
Cost: 23
Unique Location
For each Angel character you control that dies, the card's cost is decreased by 1. When this card is activated, every Angel that died on your side of the field returns to play, gaining +7/+7, Flying, Two Lives and Untouchable. You can have multiple Champion characters on the field at the same time.
Flavor text: Lilariah's kindness and compassion prevailed over Sol's ruthlessness and vice. The Angels of Solace brought everlasting peace to the world and healed the wounds of The Calamity- without the need for "lethal force".

Comments:
The only text that matters for this card as a location is the “You can have multiple Champion characters on the field at the same time.” Otherwise this is an ability card. It definitely wins you the game, however, barring a clutch Calamity or dual Oblivions. The design is creative, but unfortunately resurrecting characters has always been more of a Sleepers thing than Angels. The Overseers are more about emptying out graveyards via purification than via reanimation. The buffs are of course very much in theme for Overseers, but the premise of the card is not.

DELUSIONSOFHOPE
Ground Zero (3 Purity Verore) 6 Cost
At the start of each turn Ground Zero creates a Candit's Thrall and Rita's Thrall into your support zone.
If Struggle for Power is in play while Rita, Mistress of Shadow and Candit Head Researcher are deployed sacrifice all three. All characters, artifacts and locations in play are destroyed. You create a 20/20 demon with Flying and Two Lives.
No one was safe from the eternal struggle expect the hand manipulating their fates.

Comments:
Otherwise known as Oblivion-on-a-stick, this card still manages to feel like a location. I find the cost interesting, as it conflicts with Mass Death and Struggle for Power, one of which is a marquee CoV card and the other is part of your win-con. I love the spawning of thralls as it allows you to play into the sorceresses’ strategies (though more Rita’s than Candit’s). An excellent card.

LOXEN
Purity: 3 Flame Dawn
Name: Homefront Battlefield
While this card is in play, Depending on the initiative. If you have the initiative, all assault characters you own gain +4 attack and defensive gain +2 health. if the opponent has initiative, all assault characters you own gain +2 attack and all characters in defensive gain +4 health.
" There is nothing like having home field advantage, eh? "

Comments:
This is definitely a location, but it is neither a win-con nor especially Flame Dawn--namely in its treatment of the defense zone. The use of initiative and a modal effect is really nifty and offers a great deal of options for counterplay. Interesting card, but not what I think Drarz was looking for in this challenge.

BUBBA1234
Aradel, Site of the Last Ambush
Purity: Triple Flame Dawn    Cost: 10
At the start of each turn, move all Characters your opponent controls to the Support Zone.

Comments:
Simple yet powerful--too powerful even--this card prevents your opponent from playing the game. It might be more balanced as a one-shot ability than as a continuously applied location effect, but the lack of counterplay is appalling. Your opponent has to sit and wait for you to finish them off because they can’t do anything unless they run Ferocity, Word of Command, Heaven’s Bell, Vigil, Gao Han, Jinhai Ambush, Eucalyptus Tree, or Call the Crusade. The effect is closer to Fear than to Stumble, but it still fits the faction. The uninteractive nature of it however is painfully toxic.

SCRIMBUL
Noblesse Oblige
3p OoS
12 Cost
At the end of your turn, three 1/1 0 cost Angel characters with 1 morale cost and the text 'Cannot Be Killed By Non-Damage Sources' and 'Cannot Change Zones Once Played' are played each to one of your zones and your morale becomes 2.
If, after the following turn, your morale is above 0, this location still is in play, or you have not lost the game, you win the game.
"The Champions of Mercy inhabit the temple 'Noblesse Oblige'. They remind the Overseers of their inviolable duty to be compassionate to the less fortunate beings they watch over, even at war."

Comments:
So here’s the problem with this card, even after Scrimbul’s explanation: it’s not a location card. It’s more of an ability, due to its one-shot nature. Likewise, it either wins you the game or loses you the game, which isn’t exactly fun. You basically ramp to 12 with either nobles or trading post, play it, and pray. Hardly exciting, no matter how interesting the design is (it’s pretty interesting). Perhaps more importantly, there’s nothing about this card’s effect that feels especially Overseers. The name, token type, and flavor text could be changed to be something about the Warpath or the DoD or the Exiles or what have you and it wouldn’t make any difference in how the card played--well, except that WP can be more reasonably expected to get to 12 resources.

CONQUEST
Echoes of Avarrach
3p SoA
Cost: 100
Unique Location
While this card is in your deck or hand, at the end of each turn, reduce the cost of this card by the amount of characters in your graveyard. While this card is in play, all characters in your graveyard are risen to your support zone 1 turn after they die. Cards risen this way cannot be killed by non-combat sources, and have their morale cost permanently reduced by 3 (reduced only one time). If this card is in your graveyard for 3 turns, shuffle it back into your deck and permanently half the cost.
"They expected it when they came the second time; even the third ... but much to Solace's dismay, their expectations were quickly surpassed."

Comments:
Okay, so this could reasonably be either a location or an artifact, but location makes more sense in spite of the name being non-location-esque. The design fits the Sleepers perfectly and offers slightly less counterplay than Hehkeem while shoring up the SoA’s inherent weakness to morale loss.

OEILDUCIEL
Rise of the legion
Purity: 3 Warpath
Cost: 12
Each character who come in play gain +3/+3
Each character who die create in your support zone X 4/4 beast character with a morale cost of 0 where X is the morale cost of the character.
When you deploy Rise of the legion you can overcharge it once, if you do create two 4/4 beasts characters in your Assault zone and two 4/4 beasts characters in your defense zone.
Picture: Across the Untammed world, beasts and giants are marching together in vast armies which fill the fields.
Flavor:  Sol has involontary done the impossible: By destroying half of the Untammed World, he made of himself the common ennemy of all his inhabitants. Now all of them are marching against Solace in an unending flow and it will not stop until one side collapse.
N.B: Just in case it's not enough clear, the location here is the world itself.

Comments:
So when it makes 4/4 beasts, it’s really making 7/7 beasts. And it’s making loads of them (note: at first I didn’t like why they had 0 morale, but then I figured it out. That’s a infinite loop safety clause disguised as a buff). As a win-con, this demands that you have characters in play with morale costs that are dying. It also soups up any later characters you play. The design latches onto WP morale costs, which can quickly get out of hand (imaging dropping an 18/18 skraar the next turn, having it suicide into a line of blockers or hold off a line of attackers, then getting what, 15 7/7s? OUCH!).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:03:11 PM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
drewmb10
Blinding Light
3p OoS
20 cost
Blinding Light's cost is reduced 1 for each angel character you have in play.

All characters on your battlefield have flying and +4/+4.

You do not turn down Heaven's calling. You rise.

First of all, this fits quite well into two core mechanics of OoS: Mass buff and flying. Well done.

The card alone doesn't even look that strong to me. +4/+4 for every character is good, but you can get that cheaper with a lucca ascended/box combo.
And mass flying is also not bad, but easily available for angels too. The moment this card probably shines is when they get a good heaven's assistance and are able to pull this card off really cheap.
A combo that would work really well, but seems to be a bit unreliable, depending on the opponents deck. Certainly nice against sleepers though.

NatoPotato
Nanobot Production Facility
3 GI
12 cost
As an additional cost to playing Nanobot Production Facility, remove an Aleta and an Orion Character you control from the game.

At the start of each turn the top 5 Characters in your Graveyard are raised to the Support zone and become Artificial.

At the end of each turn every Artificial Character you control is healed for 6 damage and gets +4/+4.

"Even those who fall shall be part of the new world."

First off, I have to admit that I was never a big fan of cards that require specific cards to work. I guess you can easily avoid the problem by choosing your commanders accordingly.
Since GI doesn't have a possibility to recover morale, this card could prove very risky, but also turn them into an almost unstoppable army. It feels very similar to Omnitron in location form, though.

Number11
Land of Abandonment
3p EX
14 cost

When you play the Exile cost, the card is put back into the deck and all Land of Abandonment cost two less. When in play, at the end of turn there is 50% chance that the opponents morale goes to zero.

"Outsiders in the Land of Abandonment tend to lose hope. Many have succumbed to the demon energy when they lose hope in the horrid wasteland."

The cost of the card could be tweaked if it has to low of a cost.

I love the cost reduction mechanic. But the actual effect of the card...nope. I really really don't like the idea of a card that literally lets you win based on RNG.
This just will lead to these moments when it works the first turn for some, while others lose their coin flip repeatedly and might lose the game on it.
After such a huge investment, I really wouldn't want it to come down to luck.

Darshu
Gates of Oblivion

3x EX
9 cost
Unique Location
7 Exile

Every card in your hand gains Exile -3 of its original cost or the original exile cost if it is lower.

Quite useful if you have the possibility to discard things that late in the game still.
Actually I would like something like this to be a less impactful (maybe only -1?) and cheaper (maybe 3 cost?), then it would be a great addition to the faction.
I am not sure if it worth to skip a late game turn (7+), then discard something the next turn most likely and then finally get the benefit the third turn after this rather expensive card was played.

Benionin (INVALID JUDGE ENTRY)
The Floodgates of Torment
3 Exiles
10 Cost
Exhaust CARDNAME: All demons you control gain your choice of Flying, Consume 3, or Unstoppable until the end of the turn.

At the end of each turn, put four Dirty Devils into play

The floodgates were opened and Reish's fate was sealed

Depending on your board, this card can be pretty good. However, I feel like you need a strong board for this already.
Mass flying can always win you the game then. Consume 3 can turn your characters into masterful defenders and unstoppable is not bad if you have a big consume character already.
However, it feels a bit lacking. The 4 dirty devils are neat, but without alpha demon they are also rather weak and could end up as morale sink (they are worth 20 morale togheter).
All in all I feel like the usefulness of this card is heavily dependant on your board the time you play it....and in most stalemates it will probably end up to be used for mass flying.

Drarz: (INVALID JUDGE ENTRY)
Shrine to the Fallen
3 DoD
Cost 13
If the fortress would take damage from a creature, all non-spirit characters in your graveyard removed from the game and an Avatar of the Fallen is created in the defense zone with an attack and defense equal to the sum total of the attack and defense of all character removed from the graveyard. The Avatar of the Fallen is a Spirit Dragon with Flying and the ability, "When Avatar of the Fallen kills a creature, the player controlling that creature loses an additional 4 morale.

What to say about this? If you get it out while your opponent attacks, it will most likely win you the game.
Suprise defense, Ao Shun and Zombie Abomination with a touch of Lingbao compressed into one card.
Of course, parasite, guardian and so on will totally wreck this spirit. Probably okay-ish for the high cost.

Nibiru23
 Burning Hell

3p verore
Cost 18
Burning Hell cost is reduced by 1 for each creature that died in the previous turn.

At Start of the turn all non-fly creature become immolated by 2 and all immolated creatures take 2 damage at the end of the turn.

At start of each turn create two 3/3 demon with flying and all flying demons get +3/+3

Seems pretty weak considering the high cost. Even with the cost reduction, this card will be relatively expensiv.
All non-flying characters get 2-4 damage at the start of the turn, your own included. That is not enough to justify the huge costs.
The demons can spiral out of control, but compare that to omnitron (which has starting costs of 15).
And depending on your opponent, you might need to kill a lot of your own characters along with his to get this cards costs low enough to consider playing it.

GustavoNucho:
Purity 3Exiles, Cost 3, Location

After each turn you discarded a card, your opponent must discard 1 card.

It is 1 entry per person, so I took the first one. While I think that this could be somewhat interesting, I am afraid it fails the contest goal of creating a powerful location which would most likely win you the game when played (comparable to cards like the Virus of Avarrach).

KingMickey
Reign of Solace/Second Coming

Triple Overseers of Solace purity

Cost: 23
Unique Location

For each Angel character you control that dies, the card's cost is decreased by 1. When this card is activated, every Angel that died on your side of the field returns to play, gaining +7/+7, Flying, Two Lives and Untouchable. You can have multiple Champion characters on the field at the same time.

Flavor text: Lilariah's kindness and compassion prevailed over Sol's ruthlessness and vice. The Angels of Solace brought everlasting peace to the world and healed the wounds of The Calamity- without the need for "lethal force".

Interesting card. The need to have so many angels dying on your side before you can play this is actually fairly risky, since their morale costs tend to be pretty high. But I like it. The reward for the risk is most likely victory and pretty nice.
Probably another OoS card that would massively profit from Heaven's assistance (to send the tokens to their death!). Only real critique I have is that it doesn't feel like a location, more like a spell with the location tag attached to it.

delusionsofhope:
Ground Zero (3 Purity Verore) 6 Cost

At the start of each turn Ground Zero creates a Candit's Thrall and Rita's Thrall into your support zone.

If Struggle for Power is in play while Rita, Mistress of Shadow and Candit Head Researcher are deployed sacrifice all three. All characters, artifacts and locations in play are destroyed. You create a 20/20 demon with Flying and Two Lives.
No one was safe from the eternal struggle expect the hand manipulating their fates.

As I stated earlier, I happen to dislike cards that need specific cards in play. It seems like oblivion somehow contained in a location.
Most likely you would play both characters needed in command and then hope to draw the rest of the combo. Dark wish could help to recover characters lost to another player.
It is fairly resource heavy to pull this off, but could end in a turn 7 oblivion (without any ramp). Not really my type of card, but certainly can win you the game if all goes according to plan.

Loxen:
Purity: 3 Flame Dawn
Name: Homefront Battlefield

While this card is in play, Depending on the initiative. If you have the initiative, all assault characters you own gain +4 attack and defensive gain +2 health. if the opponent has initiative, all assault characters you own gain +2 attack and all characters in defensive gain +4 health.

" There is nothing like having home field advantage, eh? "

Not really fitting the challenge as a victory card. This location is a direct upgrade to bromich's banner.  You are likely to be able to ignore the defense buff in most FD games, since you tend to be already losing if it is really necessary. However, +4 attack on your initiative is very neat. Especially since it would stack with the banner (or bromich himself).

Bubba1234:
Aradel, Site of the Last Ambush

Purity: Triple Flame Dawn    Cost: 10

At the start of each turn, move all Characters your opponent controls to the Support Zone.

First of all, stumble effects fit FD very well, so good job.
It is a card that, in any case, acts like a one-sided fear. It is very likely to win you the game. But honestly, I think it might be a bit too much for mere 10 cost. It will render your opponents board
useless if he cant remove it. As an ability, I might would have given it a pass i think, but for a location that repeats this every turn...that wouldn't be a fun card to play against, and it should cost 12+.
It might should only send all defenders to the support, or maybe only allow one defender. At least leave the opponent some possibility to defend/counterattack.

scrimbul:
Noblesse Oblige
3p OoS
12 Cost

At the end of your turn, three 1/1 0 cost Angel characters with 1 morale cost and the text 'Cannot Be Killed By Non-Damage Sources' and 'Cannot Change Zones Once Played' are played each to one of your zones and your morale becomes 2.

If, after the following turn, your morale is above 0, this location still is in play, or you have not lost the game, you win the game.

"The Champions of Mercy inhabit the temple 'Noblesse Oblige'. They remind the Overseers of their inviolable duty to be compassionate to the less fortunate beings they watch over, even at war."

I love the idea of it, especially how it reduces your morale and then puts weak tokens on the battlefield. But except for Die another day or calamity, i don't see how this is going to work. I guess that this would probably be the combo to go to...the location and then calamity on your priority. No certain victory if your opponent is CoV, but against almost everyone else it would work.
Pretty useless as a card on its own though. Maybe I have overlooked something, but if your opponent has characters on board he will be able to attack you. Which means you have to somehow protect your 1/1 in the defense zone. But how? If your characters die protecting them, you lose on morale too. If you use a martyr to protect them (or cassial) and they die, you lose on morale again.

Conquest:
Echoes of Avarrach Vote:3
3p SoA
Unique Location

While this card is in your deck or hand, at the end of each turn, reduce the cost of this card by the amount of characters in your graveyard. While this card is in play, all characters in your graveyard are risen to your support zone 1 turn after they die. Cards risen this way cannot be killed by non-combat sources, and have their morale cost permanently reduced by 3 (reduced only one time). If this card is in your graveyard for 3 turns, shuffle it back into your deck and permanently half the cost.

"They expected it when they came the second time; even the third ... but much to Solace's dismay, their expectations were quickly surpassed."

Goes well with the sleepers theme. It is an interesting card with the unusual high cost and the huge cost reduction if it is in the graveyard. Would make Fill the Graves immensly more useful.
Of course weak to purify and cost reductions. If you get it played, it still is no auto-win since it only raises cards that are yet to die, but in return makes them pretty immune to most "kill" abilities.
Maybe the card engine of recreation wants to become when being grown up :). A bit unsure about the cost too, but very useful for SoA players if they get it out.

Oeilduciel:
Rise of the legion
Purity: 3 Warpath
Cost: 12
Each character who come in play gain +3/+3
Each character who die create in your support zone X 4/4 beast character with a morale cost of 0 where X is the morale cost of the character.

When you deploy Rise of the legion you can overcharge it once, if you do create two 4/4 beasts characters in your Assault zone and two 4/4 beasts characters in your defense zone.

Picture: Across the Untammed world, beasts and giants are marching together in vast armies which fill the fields.

Flavor:  Sol has involontary done the impossible: By destroying half of the Untammed World, he made of himself the common ennemy of all his inhabitants. Now all of them are marching against Solace in an unending flow and it will not stop until one side collapse.

N.B: Just in case it's not enough clear, the location here is the world itself.

I think the idea to give you characters for free is not bad, but 1 for each morale cost? My biggest concern is that this card could actually create a lot of lag/crash games. Many WP cards have moderate to high morale cost, and one well aimed Mass death could cause a mass appearance of tokens.
On top of that,the way the card text is written, you also get tokens from your opponents dying characters. Maybe rather than giving them 5-15 characters per character dying, give them 2 (or even only 1) with the strength based on the dying characters morale cost.
Also, a very risky card per se, since 3WP has no access to morale gain, only morale cost reduction (which would counteract the locations mechanism) and of course yobo. But nobody likes yobo.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:20:16 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »
UUN3I
Exile 3 purity
Cost 2 , exile cost 0
The First Seal pay 2 loose one resource
summon first horseman (Pale) 5/5
Horseman ability if would die move to support zone, right click discard card horseman moved to defence zone (used multi times). If horseman enter combat both creature are sent back to there support zone (instead of effect it has violet genome ability at the end of the turn).
all daemons gain +2
all horseman gain +3
first seal transform to second seal
pay 4 loose 1 resource
Summon second horseman (war) 5/5
Horseman is indestructible along as in assault zone
All demon gains haste
All horsemen gain +5
second seal transform to 3 seal
pay six loose one recourse
(famine)
each player hand size decrease by 1 each turn
all daemon gain plunder all horsemen gain +5
third seal transform fourth
pay 8 loose one resource
summon fourth horseman death
unstoppable has a multi life equal to amount of creature in graveyard each time he would die creature is removed from grave yard
each horseman gain+5
all daemon gains morale cost is reduced to zero
something like that you guys can perfect it

Comments:
A complex and evolving card, a different name would go a long way towards convincing me that it’s a location (I’m willing to believe it, however). The reference to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is detailed, thorough, and cleverly handled in terms of mechanics, but doesn’t feel especially Exiles--or especially like a win-con. While it certainly builds up over time, it lacks an immediate, impactful effect upon the board state.

RAWONALL
House of Armageddon Clock
cost: 11
Purity: triple OoS
At the beginning of each turn, search your deck for an ability card and put it into your hand, then put a doom counter on HoAC.
At the end of each turn, if HoAC has one or more doom counters, each fortress takes 100 damage and each player's morale is reduced by 100

Comments:
Locations are designed to last multiple turns. This one only lasts for the turn you played it and the next turn, which doesn’t really feel right to me. The fact that it’s only a win-con if you have another specific card and has only the briefest of windows for counterplay is another strike against it, although the concept itself of mutual destruction is cool--if distinctly more CoV than OoS, particularly given the tutoring for an ability aspect.

QUANGTIT01
Ao Shun's Temple
3 Dod
12 cost
When this card is played, create "Ao Shun, Dragon of Wisdom",in your defense zone. Move all opponent's character to the assault zone and make them lose all character text.
your fortress cannot take damages the turn this card is played.
All Ao Shun have its cost reduce by 2, cannot be moved by opponent's card effects, gain Untouchable, and cannot be exhausted.
At the end of the turn, revive all cards that are killed in your defense zone to your support zone.

Comments:
Everybody really loves their twelve-drop locations, it seems. Having its effect affect all Ao Shun seems pointless as 1) you’re already at 12 resources, 2) they can’t die or be removed via Dojo, and 3) the only way to have more out is to have already played one (or more and Dojo’d them) or be running Enyah and Awaken, making it laughably win-more in that scenario. The only continuous effect of the card, in reality, is to buff Ao Shun into untouchable levels where he kills everything every turn, enable crazy Adorable Monkey combos, and force your opponent to avoid attacking you. Most of its power is frontloaded, but creating a 35/35 flying unstoppable untargetable unkillable dragon makes a very powerful win-con that also draws you three cards every turn. Actually, that makes the revival clause better as you won’t be using Ao in defense after initially wiping your opponent’s board.

RIONOSKAE
Self Destruct Beacon
3 Genesis
7 cost
Self Destruct Beacon Enters play with Countdown Set at 3. At the end of Each Turn the countdown Timer falls by 1.
When self-destruct beacon reaches zero, all artificial characters you control are destroyed. For each character destroyed this way your opponents fortress takes 7 damage. (Or damage equal to the attack power of all artificial units in play to remain balanced)
Flavor Text: "Self destruct sequence has been initiated..."

Comments:
Beautifully flavorful, the Self-Destruct Beacon strikes me as more of an artifact than a location--or even a mission. To repeat myself, locations are supposed to stick around for multiple turns and have lasting impacts on the board (or repeatable abilities that make sense for a location, such as Veroria, Breeding Grounds, and Dojo). This might as well read “Each turn, CARDNAME becomes 34% more complete. When CARDNAME is complete, blah blah blah.” The design is beautiful and offers counterplay by giving your opponent a chance to destroy characters and fits the GI perfectly. But I don’t think it’s a location card.

NECROS-OVERLORD
The Lost Necropolis
Triple purity Sleepers
Cost 35
Unique Location
For every character card and ability cards in your graveyard this cards cost is reduced by 1.
While the first necropolis is in play all your characters in play and join play gain infect,  all undead characters you control gain +3/+3 every turn and a choice of 5 endless hordes are put into your support zone. All characters that your opponent control turn into 1/1 zombie cards if on the battlefield.
"And so they thought they could rid them..."

Comments:
Definitely a location and a powerful win-con, the final clause is murderously brutal and my only real objection to the card. The design incorporates various other Sleeper cards to make one powerful whole and is inherently 3SoA, but once again I take issue with that final clause. Otherwise, good design.

VAKICHAN
Orion's laboratory
3 purity Genesis industries, cost 13, unique location -- artificial
You don't draw cards. Instead of drawing, you choose a card (from a faction of your choice and from that, from a pool of 10 cards) and you put that card in your hand.
I'll watch the watchmen.

Comments:
A really cool design, I don’t understand why people pour all of these other types onto Location cards. Unique, fine, I can ignore that. But Artificial? When would that actually matter? Choosing a card to play instead of drawing is pretty darned cool, but serves as more of an opportunity to draw into a wincon than as a wincon itself. I think I’d have to know what those ten cards per faction were to make a better judgment here.

NEPHILIM
Throne of Vasir
3 purity exiles
cost 10
At the beginning of the turn, each player may sacrifice a creature.  For each that doesn't, that player loses 10 life and demons you control gain +3/+3.  Demons you control have +5/+5 flying, and unstoppable.  The exile cost of your cards is reduced by 2.  The consume value of your cards is increased by 2.
"and you thought Sol was bad..."

Comments:
ALL the different buffs (I’ve spent over two hours in just this one sitting working on this judging process. Forgive me if I’m becoming less eloquent, detailed, or charitable). This card takes Vasir and puts it on a stick. It also gives your demons a huge buff, your exile cards a huge buff, and your consuming demons a huge buff. Are you playing triple Exiles? If so, regardless of your actual playstyle, this card will give you a huge advantage (though in of itself it doesn’t win the game, other than through its sacrifice clause).

ORISOLVE
Cowmand Center
3 Purity Factionless (You must have 3 Factionless Commanders)
Cost 5
Pay 3: Create a Cowmmando (3 Cost, 7/7, All other cows you control have +3/+3, 5 Morale).
Pay 1: Create a Cowmmanda (1 Cost, 4/4, All other cows you control have +1/+1, 5 Morale).
Pay 10: All Characters you control gain sub-type cow this turn.
Pay 6: Preemptive - All Cows you control cannot be killed from non-damage sources this turn.
Pay 4: Preemptive - All Cows you control cannot take non-combat damage this turn.
Pay 3: Preemptive - This location gains Untouchable this turn.
At the end of the turn, for every pair of Cowmmando and Cowmmanda create a Calfmando (1 Cost, 2/2, 0 Morale).
At the end of the turn if you have more Cowmmandas than Cowmmandos, the card "Milk" is created in your hand. "Milk" (0 Cost, Ability) drains your opponents resource by 1 next turn.
At the end of the turn if you have more Cowmmandos than Cowmmandas, the card "Salt" is created in your opponents hand. "Salt " (0 Cost, Ability) This card cannot be discarded, overcharged, or played. When your opponent has 8 "Salt" cards in his hand, he can no longer draw any cards.

Comments:
Triple Factionless? As one of my MtG-playing friends often says, “I’ll allow it.” This is a hilarious, over-the-top design which will eventually win you the game, often laughing maniacally. It was Drarz’s pick for contest victory for good reason. My only problem with the card is that you can activate multiple abilities each turn, making 10 Cowmmandas or making your army invincible to all but combat damage and a Calamity (though the Milk does make playing Calamity difficult).

SOL_LEKS
The Order of Chaos
3 Exile Purity
Resource Cost 8(or more)
While this location is in play, at the start of each turn,
1 random demon character you control gains Untouchable until the end of the turn,
1 random demon character you control has its ability/effect cost(s) 0 until the end of the turn,
1 random demon character you control gains consume 2 until the end of turn,
1 random demon character you control gains +2/+0 permanently,
1 random demon character you control gains +0/+2 permanently,
1 random demon character you control gains +1/+1 permanently,
1 random non-demon character you control dies this turn,
effects can choose the same character multiple times,

Comments:
And here we have a well-done stab at RNG, even if the name doesn’t sound like a location card. It won’t win the game on its own, however, but it’ll be a blast to see where the buffs fall.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:03:44 PM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »
UUN3I:
Exile 3 purity
Cost 2 , exile cost 0

The First Seal pay 2 loose one resource

summon first horseman (Pale) 5/5

Horseman ability if would die move to support zone, right click discard card horseman moved to defence zone (used multi times). If horseman enter combat both creature are sent back to there support zone (instead of effect it has violet genome ability at the end of the turn).

all daemons gain +2
all horseman gain +3

first seal transform to second seal
pay 4 loose 1 resource

Summon second horseman (war) 5/5

Horseman is indestructible along as in assault zone

All demon gains haste
All horsemen gain +5

second seal transform to 3 seal
pay six loose one recourse
(famine)

each player hand size decrease by 1 each turn
all daemon gain plunder all horsemen gain +5

third seal transform fourth
pay 8 loose one resource

summon fourth horseman death

unstoppable has a multi life equal to amount of creature in graveyard each time he would die creature is removed from grave yard

each horseman gain+5
all daemon gains morale cost is reduced to zero

I will be honest, I am not quite sure if i understand everything this location is supposed to do. The way I understand it, you pay costs to progress it, get one of the 4 horsemen for it and your demons and horsemen receive a buff.
Sadly, I cant say for certain which kind of buff. Does +5 mean +5 to all stats? or only attack? or only health? Also, the first horseman is already pretty strong and doesnt cost that much yet. Also, do the seal buffs add up (I guess so?) or change with each seal?
I think this entry would need to be overhauled to be valid and make me able to really judge it. I also dont think that a progressing escalation fits the theme of the challenge. However, I have to admit that the idea of giving up one max. resource for every progression step of a card is intruiging.
Maybe not all too fitting for this challenge, but you could make something interesting with that.

Rawonall:
House of Armageddon Clock

Purity: triple OoS

At the beginning of each turn, search your deck for an ability card and put it into your hand, then put a doom counter on HoAC.
At the end of each turn, if HoAC has one or more doom counters, each fortress takes 100 damage and each player's morale is reduced by 100.

As you stated yourself, it is clearly intended for Die another Day. While I like that people are trying to make this card useful, i dislike the idea of a card that can't win without a specific other card.
I think cards that allow you multiple use are better. The fact that you can search for an ability (and i assume being allowed to use it the same turn?) just makes sure that the combo lands. Since it damages both, morale and health, there is also no way for you or your opponent to prevent both.
And even if your situation is hopeless and you dont have Die another day, it forces a draw (except for your opponent being lucky and having location removal. Only one turn time for that). Basicly it reads: Survive turn 11 and if they dont have location removal, win turn 12. Not really the kind of card I would like to use or play against.

quangtit01
Ao Shun's Temple
3 Dod
12 cost

When this card is played, create "Ao Shun, Dragon of Wisdom",in your defense zone. Move all opponent's character to the assault zone and make them lose all character text.
your fortress cannot take damages the turn this card is played.
All Ao Shun have its cost reduce by 2, cannot be moved by opponent's card effects, gain Untouchable, and cannot be exhausted.

To make this card work, you would need Ao Shun to undergo drastic changes. You cant take a 12 cost 3DoD card, make it much better than it already is, and play it for exactly the same cost.

Rionoskae
Self Destruct Beacon
3 Genesis
7 cost
Self Destruct Beacon Enters play with Countdown Set at 3. At the end of Each Turn the countdown Timer falls by 1.

When self-destruct beacon reaches zero, all artificial characters you control are destroyed. For each character destroyed this way your opponents fortress takes 7 damage. (Or damage equal to the attack power of all artificial units in play to remain balanced)

Flavor Text: "Self destruct sequence has been initiated...

This one is pretty cool. A time bomb that leaves plenty of time for the opponent to either kill you, remove your board or remove the location. It is no auto-win, but allows for some interesting plays. Would go well with log, overcharge or other cards.
I like it.

Necros-Overlord:
The Lost Necropolis
Triple purity Sleepers
Cost 35
Unique Location

For every character card and ability cards in your graveyard this cards cost is reduced by 1.

While the first necropolis is in play all your characters in play and join play gain infect,  all undead characters you control gain +3/+3 every turn and a choice of 5 endless hordes are put into your support zone. All characters that your opponent control turn into 1/1 zombie cards if on the battlefield.

"And so they thought they could rid them..."

Hm. The cost seem high at the first glance, but it shouldn't be a problem for SoA to reduce them drasticly in no time. A good tome alone could reduce it by 1/2, and the 4 cost token ability would be worth a cost reduction of 6, fill the graves 6 too and undead wish even 8 (although that would give you finally a reason to choose that option).
All in all it promotes a much more suicidal play style than the sleepers have anyways. I think it is probably a bit too easy to pull off for 3SoA and therefore too strong.

vakichan:
Orion's laboratory

3 purity Genesis industries, cost 13, unique location -- artificial

You don't draw cards. Instead of drawing, you choose a card (from a faction of your choice and from that, from a pool of 10 cards) and you put that card in your hand.

A very interesting idea. The way I understand it, you choose a card from a random pool of 10 cards from a faction of your choice. The thing that borthers me about this card is the fact that you are dependant on RNG.
You invested a huge amount of resources, and then you are dependant on the game to show you a useful card of the faction you want. You might want heavenly wish from OoS, But get to choose from weak angel characters that have no use for you.
The way I see it, this card could be rather interesting if it was much cheaper. For the high price, it should almost let you choose whatever card you like from a faction of your choice.

Nephilim:
Throne of Vasir
3 purity exiles
cost 10
At the beginning of the turn, each player may sacrifice a creature.  For each that doesn't, that player loses 10 life and demons you control gain +3/+3.  Demons you control have +5/+5 flying, and unstoppable.  The exile cost of your cards is reduced by 2.  The consume value of your cards is increased by 2.

"and you thought Sol was bad..."

This one is interesting. Vasir's throne behaves similar to him, just a bit better. Which is okay, since it doesn't bring a strong flying character to the field like vasir himself. Instead, all demons get a buff, unstoppable, flying, higher consume value (some will have consume 5...I mean, really? almost unkillable. gets +5/+10 basicly for every kill!) AND reduced exile cost.
All that for 10 resources. If you ask me, that seems a little cheap for everything that is going on. The card itself is okay since it requires a board, but i would place it at 11 at least so that it requires you to up your resources once at least. I mean, you can even sac your own life if you have enough to buff all your demons (which is a possibility I actually like).
And if your opponent is low on health already, that may mean another +6/+6.

Sol_Leks:
The Order of Chaos
3 Exile Purity
Resource Cost 8(or more)
While this location is in play, at the start of each turn,
1 random demon character you control gains Untouchable until the end of the turn,
1 random demon character you control has its ability/effect cost(s) 0 until the end of the turn,
1 random demon character you control gains consume 2 until the end of turn,
1 random demon character you control gains +2/+0 permanently,
1 random demon character you control gains +0/+2 permanently,
1 random demon character you control gains +1/+1 permanently,
1 random non-demon character you control dies this turn

effects can choose the same character multiple times.

Uh...in my opinion this card is sooo wrong. I dislike RNG cards so much, and this card embodies that all. I know it is kinda supposed to be one of the exiles themes, but I am convinced that it would be better to scrap as much of the Exiles RNG as possible.
Especially for high cost cards. The buffs seem lackluster for the cost of the card and require your cards to stay alive for a while to really matter. I mean, cards like guns of goliath give +2/+2 to ALL your cards permanently. For 4 cost.
You propably also want to have only 1 or 2 characters out so the buffs accumulate. The drawback of the card is very minor since 3 Exiles has only around 3-4 non-demon characters anyways.
Which is okay since its main effects seem rather weak, and could in the worst case screw you over yourself (make the character you just want to play descension on untouchable for example).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:32:46 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
SHIFTY
Triple Flame Dawn.
Cost 8
"Swift Execution"
When you deploy a character with charge, with a cost greater than 1, All of the characters in your assault zone gain +2 damage and unstoppable until the end of the turn.

Comments:
Reasonably, the unstoppable clause isn’t going to matter for the Flame Dawn unless they’re running Aberion. The ability makes your attacking line powerful, but it doesn’t stop them from running into a wall of blockers and dying and fails to provide much of a win-con on its own.

NECROX22
Chaotic gate of the exiles
Purity: 3x Exile
Cost: 10
All character cards of your opponent in battlefield will have a exile cost of the half of actually cost, when the character cards are killed you can pay the exile cost and the cards will be raise in your support zone and these cards will have a exile cost to their real cost. If you don't pay the exile cost of your opponent cards, these cards go to the graveyard of your opponent.

Comments:
Okay, so I get the intended functionality of this card. But it’s definitely a Sleepers card and it is going to struggle against Avatars decks and character-less decks. It’s interesting enough, but not phenomenal.

LOSTOR
Heart of the virus
3 Sleepers purity
cost: 10 (not sure on thais one)
all characters that would be removed from play are instead placed into your graveyard
At the end of your turn all characters that died this turn are raised to your support zone
if Heart of the virus is in the graveyard all characters that would beput into the graveyard are removed from play instead

Comments:
A very cool, very Sleepers card. The advantage afforded by continuous reanimation has been noted elsewhere in this contest and the design includes a pretty clever drawback. Neat card.

GEISTESBLITZ
Sanctuary of Veroria
Purity: 3 Verore
Sanctuary of Veroria's cost is equal to the lower of your health or morale.
Gain 20 health and morale at the start of each turn. Your opponent must sacrifice 2 characters at the start of each turn.

Comments:
This location prevents you from losing the game. This is not the same as winning the game. It’s a nifty design but feels more like a combination of DoD/Ex or DoD/CoV than triple CoV. Your opponent faces the interesting choice of trying to outrace it or to build up resources for a later push.

TM776
My thought is:
Place of Ancient Peace     
3WP
30 resources
legendary location
This location's cost is reduced by the highest cost among deployed creatures you control.
When this location enters play and at the end of every combat step remove from play all creatures in the assault zone then your opponent loses moral equal to the combined power of all creatures you removed from play.
"In this place, weapons and armor alike become too heavy to hold"

Comments:
The location’s cost is a little too high (try 25), but the effect is powerful and reminiscent of Ruins of an Ancient Civilization, except far more demoralizing. I love the flavor of the card even if the morale loss is a Reish-style effect. Interesting design.

GHOSTJGHOST
Halls of madness
3p Exiles
Cost 7
Location.
At the start of each turn remove 4 random cards from your opponents deck from the game.
Your opponent may choose to sacrifice a character to negate this effect.
At the end of the turn a random card in your hand is given an exile cost of 0 and you draw a card.
"So many things fall out of doors.... Let's make lots of doors and watch everything fall apart."

Comments:
A creative card, but another example of RNG’s bad side, although there’s an escape route. After that, there’s the buffing of cards in hand. The location flavor is there, but the win-con is weak. Unique, interesting effect, but toxic. Definitely an Exiles card (particularly given that last comment, cough cough Ixxi cough cough).

FEILING
Aleta's Archive
"No purity"
3 cost
If Aleta's Archive is in your deck, all your commanders must be of the same purity.
(effectively making it a triple purity card, that can be used by any faction.)
If a character is in your graveyard for 6 consecutive turns, it is raised to your support zone at the end of the turn.
Pay 1: Aleta's Archive becomes Untouchable until the end of the turn.
Pay 5: The number of consecutive turns required for a character to be raised from your graveyard to your support zone is permanently reduced by 1.
"Everything shall be preserved, forever."

Comments:
3 purity of anything? Interesting. Clever. “I’ll allow it.” I really like how this card turns everything into an Aleta. While not an explicit or immediate win-con, the ability is powerful and can snowball well. Note: there should be a lower cap on the graveyard duration, namely 1. Also I’m not sure if this would bug out with actual Aleta cards, but this is hypothetical anyway. Cool design that powers up over time.

BLACKLIST07
Purity: 3 Decen of Dra
Name: Heart of Xia Han, Altar of Ao Shun
Resource: 20
Text:
The resource cost of Heart of Xia Han, Altar of Ao Shun is reduced for every creature you have in the defense zone.
If a creature in your defense zone should die they instead become exhausted.
Pay 8: all cards you own cannot be removed from the game and cards in your defense zone and support zone has untouchable until the end of turn.
(alternate text removed)
Flavor Text: If the day should come, this place is where the descendants of the dragon would make their last stand.
Ao shun made this place as a home for all of his people, alive or spirits. The will of the previous generations are at the strongest here.
Millennia of study Ao Shun had known about the calamity, and millennia more, he has the power, just enough, to save his people. If it does happen again.

Comments:
So I hear players don’t like the Calamity. This is another card that prevents you from losing but doesn’t do much to help you win. If you already have the 10+ characters in your defense zone as the DoD, you’re already winning. Giving all of your characters Avatar-style immortality won’t change that often. Enough to really make this a win-con.

ONYX
Garlocc, the Ever Hungry Maw
3p Exiles
Exile 8
Satiation Counters: 0
Sacrifice a deployed non-artificial character, overcharge, exhaust: Garlocc gains X satiation counters, where X is the sacrificed character's health.
At the end of the turn opponent's fortress is dealt damage equal to Garlocc's number of satiation counters. The number of Garlocc's satiation counters becomes halved.
"On the surface Garlocc is just a gaping maw but underground his body spans for miles."

Comments:
Sarlacc, is that you? This is a fantastic design that is perhaps undertuned (the overcharge aspect of the cost may be too much) but is reasonably cautious. It’s a win-con, although it requires a great deal of further development to pull off. It’s definitely an Exiles card and your opponent can remove/damage your large characters to prevent you from building up too many counters. Very well done.

MOONBLADE92
"Jin-Jian, Shrine to the Ancestral Spirits"
Purity: Disciples of Dragon, 3
Resource cost: 2
Whenever an unit you control dies you may draw a card. At the start of your next turn shufle as many cards as you drew back into your deck.
Activation cost 10: transform Jin-Jian, Shrine to the Ancestral Spirits to Jin-Jian, Spirit Stronghold
This cost is reduced by one every time an unit you control is removed from play. If it reaches zero cost the transformation occurs on its own.
"Few things cause distress to the ancient spirits, but they will aid the living in times of crisis"

Jin-Jian, Spirit Stronghold
When a non-Spirit unit you control dies, put a 0 morale Spirit creature into play with "When this card deals damage the enemy loses that much morale" and stats equal to the dead units.
"Resolve in life turns to power in death, all to defend the last sanctuary of Reish"

Comments:
Location, yes. Powerful ability, yes (though may be difficult to implement. Would suggest: Each turn you may draw up to X additional cards, where X is the number of characters you controlled who died the previous turn. Then shuffle that many cards back into your deck). Eventually morphs into providing its own win-con, but the win-con needs a lot of support. The card filtering is really the most powerful part of the card and you lose it when it transforms--which in of itself may be a clever limiting dial on the balance. I wish there was more spirit tribal in the game and the ability is very much in line with the DoD culture.

FULLMETALBUCKET
Card Name: Higher Ground
Purity: 3xFlame Dawn
Cost: 16
Text:
Higher Ground's Cost is reduced for each of your Characters that attacked last turn. All Characters you control are Indestructible while in the Assault Zone. All Characters you control gain Charge.

Comments:
As we’ve seen with Baldo, the cost of this card makes it merely a win-more card. If you attacked with enough characters to reduce its cost, you’re probably already winning if you haven’t already won. The indestructible and charge make your late-game incredibly strong, assuming you can land it, but the win-more aspect is still highly problematic.

DECADERE
Shattered Wall of Jinhai
DoD
Pay 10, select a character card from your hand. card is deployed to the defense zone.
selected card gains:
+25/+25
Untouchable
lives 2
If this card remains in the defense zone for 3 consecutive turns, your opponent's morale is reduced to 0.
"In a time of crisis, who will prevent calamity?"

Comments:
Presumably you’re not speaking of the actual Calamity. This location will turn any card in your hand into a strong defensive line that can win you the game if it stays alive long enough. Imagine comboing it with an Immovable. Or turning an Ao Shun into a 60/60 dragon who might as well just attack your opponent and become an offensive win-con. Definitely a DoD card, a clever twist on Surprise Defense, and a powerful win-con that still gives the opponent a chance to counter it.

DANIFOXXY
3 Exile
7 Cost
Card Effect: For every card discarded or sacrificed Character from anywhere, giving 2% to The Exiles Revenge. Once this reaches 50% you may call upon the forces of the Exiles and create a X/X flying, unstoppable Corrupt Celestial Dragon. X counts for the power and toughness of the discarded character. If you reach 100% you win the game. Pay 2, sacrifice a character.

Comments:
This is a mission, not a location. The numbers are high but that’s not really important. The Corrupted Celestial Dragon win-con is decent if fragile (single-target removal highly disincentivizes relying on a single character that doesn’t have some way around the removal, like the Avatars), and I highly dislike the “you win the game” clause, no matter how hard it may be to achieve. It’s also unclear whether or not the 50% “call upon the forces of the Exiles” is a repeatable effect, or whether or not it reduces/resolves/discards the mission.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:11:59 PM »
shifty:
Tripple Flame Dawn.

Cost 8

"Swift Execution"

(**Art that looks slightly more badass than swift strikes here**)

When you deploy a character with charge, with a cost greater than 1, All of the characters in your assault zone gain +2 damage and unstoppable until the end of the turn.

You didn't mention the type of the card, but the name suggests an ability rather than a location.
As ability it is probably too expensive and rather weak, but as location it seems to be pretty OP. It screams for cheap Acolythe decks that will just throw out 9 Acolythes (or maybe 5 acolythes followed by an emberstarter).

necrox22:
Chaotic gate of the exiles
Purity: 3x Exile

All character cards of your opponent in battlefield will have a exile cost of the half of actually cost, when the character cards are killed you can pay the exile cost and the cards will be raise in your support zone and these cards will have a exile cost to their real cost. If you dont pay the exile cost of your opponent cards, these cards go to the graveyard of you opponent.

This card is interesting. It is a somewhat weaker form of Avarrach has Risen, and you need to kill the opponents characters first (and then still dedicate resources to play them the turn after). It might be a bit too expensive since you have to invest more resources to actually steal the characters. And the exiles don't have a lot of cards that allow them to kill a specific opponent.
Maybe lower the costs a bit and it could be worthwhile.

lostor
Heart of the virus
3 Sleepers purity
cost: 10 (not sure on this one)

All characters that would be removed from play are instead placed into your graveyard

At the end of your turn all characters that died this turn are raised to your support zone

If Heart of the virus is in the graveyard all characters that would beput into the graveyard are removed from play instead.

A direct upgrade to the engine of recreation. Without activation cost and bringing back the actual characters, but with an interesting downside. If your opponent destroys your location and you lose your army, it is gone for good. Interestingly enough, this location also counters calamity by moving the cards to the graveyard instead.
Where they tend to be much more useful for SoA. All in all I would say this is a good card for SoA. Might be infuriating to play against some time, but also can screw you over in so many ways (since you cant control if they are coming back or not, you might be moraled down).

GeistesblitZ
Sanctuary of Veroria
Purity: 3 Verore

Sanctuary of Veroria's cost is equal to the lower of your health or morale.
Gain 20 health and morale at the start of each turn. Your opponent must sacrifice 2 characters at the start of each turn.

I am honeslty not sure how the cost reduction works here. Is it equal to the lowest value, either morale or health? Can't believe that, it would be so risky to get your health or morale near defeat to make this playable.
So I assume it is equal to the sum of your lost morale and health? Then you would get it for free as soon as losing 50 of both? That seems awfully soon for such a powerful card. I have to admit that I don't really get the cost reduction. But the only two ways I can think off
either make it too difficult or too easy to pull off.

tm766
Place of Ancient Peace     
3WP
30 resources
legendary location
This location's cost is reduced by the highest cost among deployed creatures you control.
When this location enters play and at the end of every combat step remove from play all creatures in the assault zone then your opponent loses moral equal to the combined power of all creatures you removed from play.

"In this place, weapons and armor alike become too heavy to hold"

It is really interesting, but nigh unplayable. You need to reduce its starting cost. One character will just not be enough to reduce the starting costs to a bearable level. I mean, it would need to cost at least 16 to move the cost of this location to 14.

ghostjghost
Halls of madness

3p Exiles

Cost 7

Location.

At the start of each turn remove 4 random cards from your opponents deck from the game.

Your opponent may choose to sacrifice a character to negate this effect.

At the end of the turn a random card in your hand is given an exile cost of 0 and you draw a card.

Oh, a mill card. Sounds interesting. Not sure if it will actually win you games the way the game is now, but 4 cards lost every turn from turn 7 onwards could be huge in the right deck.
Once again it is neat that your opponent is given the possibility to sacrifice a character instead of suffering the effects. In addition with card draw and the free exile card it might be a bit strong, but all in all I think it is a solid entry.

Fei-Ling
Aleta's Archive
"No purity"
3 cost
If Aleta's Archive is in your deck, all your commanders must be of the same purity.
(effectively making it a triple purity card, that can be used by any faction.)

If a character is in your graveyard for 6 consecutive turns, it is raised to your support zone at the end of the turn.

Pay 1: Aleta's Archive becomes Untouchable until the end of the turn.
Pay 5: The number of consecutive turns required for a character to be raised from your graveyard to your support zone is permanently reduced by 1.

"Everything shall be preserved, forever."

Interesting. It is a weird way to create a triple purity, but creative. I like it. You need to pour quite an amount of resources in it to become really great, but in the right deck even the standard 6 turns might be of good use.
I am no fan of the inbuilt protection ability, but since it only works on your priority anyways, I am fine with it. A solid card, maybe a bit expensive and slow. Also like the nod towards the homepage.

Blacklist07
Purity: 3 Decen of Dra
Name: Heart of Xia Han, Altar of Ao Shun
Resource: 20

Text:

The resource cost of Heart of Xia Han, Altar of Ao Shun is reduced for every creature you have in the defense zone.
If a creature in your defense zone should die they instead become exhausted.
Pay 8: all cards you own cannot be removed from the game and cards in your defense zone and support zone has untouchable until the end of turn.

Fits the DoD defensive behaviour quite well. Your defense zone becomes difficult to get rid of, especially with the calamity counter being build in. Can't be used with shrine which is fine. Can extremly screw you over if it is removed by your opponent.
Probably would be used with 'Ju-Lin, who rewrites history'. Would probably make it extremly necessary to run location removal too. All in all I think it is a good entry. Maybe the untouchable its ability grants is a bit too much, but I am not sure there.

Moonblade92:
"Jin-Jian, Shrine to the Ancestral Spirits"
Purity: Disciples of Dragon, 3
Resource cost: 2

Whenever an unit you control dies you may draw a card. At the start of your next turn shufle as many cards as you drew back into your deck.
Activation cost 10: transform Jin-Jian, Shrine to the Ancestral Spirits to Jin-Jian, Spirit Stronghold
This cost is reduced by one every time an unit you control is Exiled. If it reaches zero cost the transformation occurs on it's own.

"Few things cause distress to the ancient spirits, but they will aid the living in times of crisis"

Jin-Jian, Spirit Stronghold

When a non-Spirit unit you control dies, put a 0 morale Spirit creature into play with "When this card deals damage the enemy loses that much morale" and stats equal to the dead units.

"Resolve in life turns to power in death, all to defend the last sanctuary of Reish"

I believe you don't mean exiled, you mean 'removed from game' here. It seems like a useful card to me. The card draw is useful, and the need to have a character die for it makes it expensive enough I think.
The real thing is the second form of this location though. Getting a spirit with 0 morale and the same size as any character that would die is great in itself. The morale drain for every damage dealt makes it great though.
I think it is a pretty fair card, you are going to see it coming after all. Opponents should have enough time to react to it. Also takes a while til you can reap the benefits.

FullMetalBucket
Card Name: Higher Ground
Purity: 3xFlame Dawn

Text:
Higher Ground's Cost is reduced for each of your Characters that attacked last turn. All Characters you control are Indestructible while in the Assault Zone. All Characters you control gain Charge.

This might be OP. It doesn't take that much for FD to accumulate a mass of characters, especially if you skip a turn of attacking and save what you had, then sacrifice a lot of them to maybe half the cost of this location.
After that, you can attack with cards like an invulnerable firestarter. I am not sure if I am overestimating the potential of FD to sacrifice rather weak characters to accomplish a sufficient cost reduction, but yeah. If you dont have to sacrifice all of your board
to reduce the cost, you can even attack with indestructible characters as well. And in combination with the good old martyr, you can make your defenders indestructible aswell. A little too much for my taste.

Decadere:
Shattered Wall of Jinhai
DoD

Pay 10, select a character card from your hand. card is deployed to the defense zone.

selected card gains:
+25/+25
Untouchable
lives 2

If this card remains in the defense zone for 3 consecutive turns, your opponent's morale is reduced to 0.

"In a time of crisis, who will prevent calamity?"

I guess with a card like that, we would be seeing a lot of Ao Shun play. If you make it to that point, you probably win. To be honest, I would like this card a lot better if it wouldnt provide untouchable. That seems to be a bit overkill.
Sure, these cards are meant for winning the game, but leave at least a tiny wee counterplay in it. because lets face it, once this card is down on the field, you ll be deploying one of these insanly buffed characters every turn. The buff alone could be enough already, but with two lives and untouchable...
one of these every turn seems like an overkill to me. Maybe make it so that you can only have one of them deployed at a time. Or that you ll lose if a character still deals combat damage to the fortress after this defender is down.

DaniFoxxy:
3 Exile
7 Cost
Card name: The Exiles Revenge

Card Effect: For every card discarded or sacrificed Character from anywhere, giving 2% to The Exiles Revenge. Once this reaches 50% you may call upon the forces of the Exiles and create a X/X flying, unstoppable Corrupt Celestial Dragon. X counts for the power and toughness of the discarded character. If you reach 100% you win the game. Pay 2, sacrifice a character.

Personally I would make this a mission and a lot cheaper. Even the name hints more towards a mission than a location. With its moderatly high costs, you are probably unable to pull this off. You need 25 characters either discarded or sacrificed.
That is a lot! And it will only begin to count around turn 7 (maybe turn 5 if you are lucky with your nobles). You would probably need to get really lucky with your draws. Demonic presence and gather the weak multiple times, then get them on the field and sacrifice them.
I guess with a lot of luck you may make it to the 50% counter sometimes, but i can't see the 100% completion happening against an serious opponent. And honestly, even the 50% one seems nigh impossible.

Invalid Late Entries:

SqarelyCircle
Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer
3 Verore
0 cost

As an additional cost to play Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer, for each character the enemy controls Pay 1 or sacrifice a character.
When Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer is played, move all characters in play to their owner's support zone.
While Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer is in play, you cannot directly move any characters to your defense zone, and you cannot heal your fortress or prevent fortress damage.
At the start of each combat phase, for each enemy character in the assault or defense zone, put one counter on Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer.
If Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer has 8 or more counters at the end of your turn you win the game.
You may remove a counter to remove a target enemy character from the game.  You may sacrifice Ochtikin, Tower of the overseer to take control of all enemy characters in the assault zone.

"They thought it a silly thing for their foes to erect an elegant structure in the wastes near their border.  Their subjugation, however, was never seen as silly."

This is a very interesting idea, but it creates a huge problem. If you get this on your starting hand, you might just sacrifice your entire command and play it on turn 1. And then you would have created a huge problem for your opponent.
FD is directly out, if they play their charge characters, they lose too fast. they would need to play characters to support, but thanks to charge they cant. Worse, nothing keeps you from attacking/using spells to your hearts content and race to oblivion.
If that is even necessary. Simply OP if drawn too early.

Klassick:
Mighty Volcano

3 Purity Warpath - not unique

8 Cost

Each time you deploy this location, all deployed characters take 8 dmg.

[edit] The player that deploy Mighty Volcano for the third time, wins the game.

Look at this Volcano, it is amazing!  So...you have three on them in hand, 8 resources and basicly win in a mighty eruption? Would probably be good for 3WP volcano ramp.
As soon as you are at 8, aoe the hell out of your opponent and win turn 10. Instead of vacation at the sea, i'll send this one to the troll cages (you can expect amazing conversations there!).

mynci:
Pit of exhaustion

3P Flame Dawn - unique

6 cost.

Additional cost:
Pay 4 to apply effect this turn

Effect:
opponent cards that were in the attack or defence zone at the end of the turn become exhausted for 2 turns

Uhhh....Nope! Definitly not. A slightly delayed fear/caltrops combo, repeatable and compressed in a location. Do I really need to say more?

piggy85:
Name: Best Of Both Worlds
Purity: 1 GI, 2 sleepers
cost: 10
type: spell

effect:target undead character gains 8/8, becomes artificial and immortal, being revived to the support zone at the end of the turn

flavour text:
once tamed the virus showed.....useful potential+

I think triple purity means always "3 of the same" and not just "3 of any" purities required. I still would give it a pass for that though. But it is an ability, and the challenge required a location.

Trepi:
I'm thinking of something simple. A 3 Flame Dawn purity mission "Conquest" (maybe someone could think of a better name).  If you destroy a location your opponent has deployed, "Conquest" gains a counter.  If "Conquest" has two counters you win the game.  It's not a game breaking card but is good with the Flame Dawn anti-location theme and fits with the soldier MO.  It would still allow the opponent to play one Location without fear of losing but could jeopardize him/her if their plan was a backup location in case their primary one had been destroyed.

I am afraid that the challenge required a location. Not a mission, even if it is related to locations. It is a relatively low risk mission for the opponent too, after he lost 1 location he is likely not playing a second one. Probably somewhat useful against location centred decks by scaring them out of playing their key-card a second time.

Volumet:
3p FD location:
Burning Inferno
Cost 40
BI'cost will reduce by each damage you deal to your opponent's fortress last turn
When your characters deal damages to a character, they also deal that much dmg to your opponent's fortress.

Basicly, this card needs you to land one good shot at the opponent, and after that you can suicide your entire army into their defenses. I think in most games it might be fairly easy for fd to pull a sufficient attack off and after that, you only need to be wary of aoe. Pretty strong.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:23:17 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:26:51 PM »
There are character limits on forum posts. I had to split up my feedback into three posts in order to get the forums to publish it--and I haven't even published the invalid entries yet.

And now for the Invalid Entries--those disqualified due to being the judges', or a multiple entry, or being late. Note that these won't always get as detailed comments as I had for the other entries.

BENIONIN--INVALID JUDGE ENTRY
The Floodgates of Torment
3 Exiles
10 Cost
Exhaust CARDNAME: All demons you control gain your choice of Flying, Consume 3, or Unstoppable until the end of the turn.
At the end of each turn, put four Dirty Devils into play
The floodgates were opened and Reish's fate was sealed

While certainly a location and certainly a win-con, this design is uninspired and perhaps too weak for what the challenge intends.

DARSHU--INVALID SECOND ENTRY
Sealed Book of the Exiles
3x EX
6 cost
Unique Location
When you pay the exile cost of a card a second copy is deployed for free.

The name and ability of this card make it seem more like an artifact than a location, and it doesn’t outright win you the game or even immediately put you very far ahead. I wonder how the effect would work with Cresill and other unique characters.

DRARZ--INVALID JUDGE ENTRY
Shrine to the Fallen
3 DoD
Cost 13
If the fortress would take damage from a creature, all non-spirit characters in your graveyard removed from the game and an Avatar of the Fallen is created in the defense zone with an attack and defense equal to the sum total of the attack and defense of all character removed from the graveyard. The Avatar of the Fallen is a Spirit Dragon with Flying and the ability, "When Avatar of the Fallen kills a creature, the player controlling that creature loses an additional 4 morale.”

Comments:
A powerful and ultra-expensive location, Shrine to the Fallen stops your opponent’s attacks in their tracks and brings a hefty morale beatdown. I like how it doesn’t combo with itself but allows you to create more avatars so long as you continue to lose characters (bring on the vigilance characters!)

TOXICSHADOW--INVALID JUDGE ENTRY
Ruins of Ishna, Heart of the Demon Wastes
Purity: 3 Exiles
Type: Location
Rarity: Epic
Exile 10
When the Ruins of Ishna enter play, shuffle all cards with the exile keyword from your graveyard back into your deck.
At the start of the turn, all cards with the exile keyword in your deck and your hand get played for free. They behave as if they were played for their exile costs.
Pay 3, exhaust: Shuffle the top 2 cards of your graveyard back into your deck.
Everything banished to the Demon Wastes sooner or later shows up at what is left of Ishna, which was the first city on Reish to be lost to the Wastes.

Comments:
This is a really cool design that normally wouldn’t feel like a location due to its one-shot nature. However, the ability to shuffle the top few cards back into your deck means that it will have recurring relevance for the rest of the game--however long the rest of the game lasts.

GUSTAVONUNCHO--INVALID SECOND ENTRY
Purity 3 Exiles, Cost 5, Exile Cost 2 (debatable), Unique Location
Whenever an exile cost is paid, gain excess resources next turn for the paid amount(s).

Comments:
Once again it’s unclear whether or not this is an artifact or location card--the lack of a name doesn’t help. The bonus resources from playing Exiled cards do provide a potent boost, but are not in of themselves a win-con. This will put you ahead but won’t outright win you the game. The design is much more interesting than the other version but has no opportunity for counterplay. This is definitely an Exiles card, even if I can’t tell the card type.

NIBIRU23--INVALID SECOND ENTRY
Shrine of happiness 
Cost 11
At end of the turn each enemy loses 2 morale for each avatar on the battlefield.
Pay 6, your opponent loses morale equal the number of characters you have in the defense zone.
At end of the turn if your opponent’s morale is lower than yours create a 2/6 character with reach in your defense zone

Comments:
An interesting location building off of DoD’s morale theme, the Shrine of Happiness requires a lot of work once it is played in order to win. The clause draining your opponent for each avatar you control makes it especially win-more--you’re either already winning or have won if you were able to play several avatars, have them stick, and then play this (instead of, say, Calamity). The activated ability requires you to shore up your defensive line at a point when DoD should be looking to turn towards pressuring with attacks.

RIONOSKAE--INVALID SECOND ENTRY
Gates of Solace: Origin of The Crusade
3 OOS
1 cost
For each opponents character that is killed by an angel that you control, Crusade Becomes 10% more complete.
So Begins Our Crusade -20% Completion
Bolstered By their first taste of victory, All Angel Units gain +0/+1
Tides Have Turned  - 50% completion
All Angel Characters you control recieve.
"When this character kills a unit, they are removed from the game."
Victory & Death - 100% Completion
All non-angel characters in play are destroyed. All Angel Characters permanently gain +5/+5 and Flying.
Flavor Text: "This world must be cleansed. Whatever the cost"

Comments:
This card is a mission pretending to be a location. The concept is incredibly interesting and builds up to a powerful finish, but the shell is clearly better suited to a mission card.

BUBBA1234--INVALID SECOND ENTRY
The Hive
Triple SoA purity           Cost: 10
If Swarmer Broodlord is a commander, The Hive has no purity requirement.
At the start of each turn, move all Insectoids from your graveyard to your Support Zone. They gain Haste.
The crawling and chittering nightmares could not be eradicated, only scared away for a time.

Comments:
And here is our Swarmer entry. I find the choice of purity interesting and the Swarmer Broodlord clause to be necessary. The reanimation focus justifies this as a Sleepers card, but the fact of the matter is that this card is unplayable unless you’re running loads of Swarmers. It will give you continuous board advantage that is resilient to everything but removal from the game and morale bombs. One of the more interesting approaches I’ve seen for a Swarmer location.

SOL_LEKS--INVALID SECOND ENTRY
Holographic Replicator Station
3 Genesis Purity
resource 11
whenever you deploy a character that isn’t unique, you also deploy a copy of that card from your deck.

Comments:
But it’s not really holographic, it’s just tutoring up the other copies. If it made a token copy of it, then I would buy the holographic flavor. Anyway, this location is another one of the many ideas here that swarms the board, but this one does so with two conditions: 1) run non-unique characters and 2) you must have more copies in your deck. I wonder, does it just chain to drop all of the copies when you play the first? Because it says “whenever you deploy… you also deploy.” So if I play a splitter bot, would I get the other two or just one?

TM776--INVALID SECOND ENTRY
Shrine of the Broken Cycle (obvious reference to nirvana is obvious)
3DoD
Unique Location
8 resources
At the end of each turn reduce the moral cost of a creature you control in the defense zone to zero. It gains "if this character would be destroyed, instead exhaust it, move it to your support zone, and it returns to its original health and power" and sub type Avatar.
4 resources; reduce the moral cost of a creature you control in the defense zone to zero. It gains "if this character would be destroyed, instead exhaust it, move it to your support zone and it returns to its original health and power" and sub type Avatar.
6 resources, exhaust; Avatars you control gain +0/+6 and each time they survive combat with another character reduce your opponents morale by 5.

Comments:
You get an avatar! And you get an avatar! EVERYBODY GETS AN AVATAR! A super powerful and awesome card that will quickly spiral out of control and win the game.

SQUARELYCIRCLE--INVALID LATE ENTRY
Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer
3 Verore
0 cost

As an additional cost to play Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer, for each character the enemy controls Pay 1 or sacrifice a character.
When Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer is played, move all characters in play to their owner's support zone.
While Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer is in play, you cannot directly move any characters to your defense zone, and you cannot heal your fortress or prevent fortress damage.
At the start of each combat phase, for each enemy character in the assault or defense zone, put one counter on Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer.
If Ochtikin, Tower of the Overseer has 8 or more counters at the end of your turn you win the game.
You may remove a counter to remove a target enemy character from the game.  You may sacrifice Ochtikin, Tower of the overseer to take control of all enemy characters in the assault zone.
"They thought it a silly thing for their foes to erect an elegant structure in the wastes near their border.  Their subjugation, however, was never seen as silly."

Comments:
This is a really nifty card. You can’t play it on turn 1 because of enemy commanders (unless you sacrifice your own, I suppose), and once it hits it gives your opponent the choice of going for the win or handing you the game. There are a lot of mind-games involved and I love the ability to sacrifice the location in order to steal all of your opponent’s attacking characters. The win-con is solid, it changes the dynamics of the game in unique ways, and your opponent can still work around it. Very well done.

KLASSICK--INVALID LATE ENTRY
Mighty Volcano
3 Purity Warpath - not unique
8 Cost
Each time you deploy this location, all deployed characters take 8 dmg.
The player that deploys Mighty Volcano for the third time wins the game.

Comments:
Klassick, you’re killing me with your last minute edits, you know that, right? At any rate, this tongue-in-cheek entry reminiscent of everyone’s favorite pygmy giant is better served as an ability with “when you play this card if you have two more copies in your graveyard you win the game.”

MYNCI--INVALID LATE ENTRY
Pit of exhaustion
3P Flame Dawn - unique
6 cost.
Additional cost:
Pay 4 to apply effect this turn
Effect:
opponent cards that were in the attack or defence zone at the end of the turn become exhausted for 2 turns.

Comments:
An intriguing location card, the Pit punishes your opponent’s blockers to allow you to slip in with your offense. Let the mind games commence!

NECROGARGOYLE--INVALID LATE ENTRY
The Flesh Pit
 3 Sleepers of Avarrach
 10 Cost
Flesh Pit gives every undead character +2/+2 bloodthirst.

Comments:
While buffing all of your undead is certainly powerful, especially given the number of characters the Sleepers can deploy, a simple buff like this doesn’t make for a very interesting card.

PIGGY85--INVALID LATE ENTRY, INVALID PURITY ENTRY, INVALID ABILITY ENTRY
Name: Best Of Both Worlds
Purity: 1 GI, 2 sleepers
cost: 10
type: spell
effect:target undead character gains 8/8, becomes artificial and immortal, being revived to the support zone at the end of the turn
flavour text:
once tamed the virus showed.....useful potential

Comments:
Various restriction issues aside, this card will turn any one card--such as the Last Sleeper--into a permanently recursive and powerful threat that will not go away.

TREPI--INVALID LATE ENTRY, INVALID MISSION ENTRY
I'm thinking of something simple.  A 3 Flame Dawn purity mission "Conquest" (maybe someone could think of a better name).  If you destroy a location your opponent has deployed, "Conquest" gains a counter.  If "Conquest" has two counters you win the game.  It's not a game breaking card but is good with the Flame Dawn anti-location theme and fits with the soldier MO.  It would still allow the opponent to play one Location without fear of losing but could jeopardize him/her if their plan was a backup location in case their primary one had been destroyed.

Comments:
This location-based mission is actually really nifty. I like it but obviously it fails to fulfill the challenge’s requirements.

VOLUMET--INVALID LATE ENTRY
3p FD location:
Burning Inferno
Cost 40
BI'cost will reduce by each damage you deal to your opponent's fortress last turn
When your characters deal damages to a character, they also deal that much dmg to your opponent's fortress

Comments:
Another way for the Flame Dawn to push through that last bit of damage, the Titan-style cost reduction is not as restrictive as it might seem at first. How many times have you pushed through 30 damage only for your opponent to wipe the board or set up their blockers the next turn? The Burning Inferno makes it so your opponent’s blockers won’t save them. The only other caveat I would want is to confirm that this only works on characters in your assault zone. Otherwise your blockers would be burning your opponent’s fortress.

So that's all my comments. This unprecedentedly large contest had an awesome turnout. While it was definitely a problem, it was a good problem to have. Thanks to all who participated and I hope that you will continue to participate in the Card Design Challenge.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:45:09 PM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:06:59 PM »
So that's all my comments. This unprecedentedly large contest had an awesome turnout. While it was definitely a problem, it was a good problem to have. Thanks to all who participated and I hope that you will continue to participate in the Card Design Challenge.

Wow, that was in fact huge. I get my last message here out of the way.

I must thank you guys too for the judging here, as I already said, excellent job.

And... I was expecting to read something much worse about my entry here  ;D 8) ;D

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »
Fantastic work, you two!  :D

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
Huh i actually read through like half of that haha. Though i must admit im kinda disappointed toxicshadow skipped mine

Edit: just saw it on the main thread
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:54:13 PM by Hiding »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
Huh i actually read through like half of that haha. Though i must admit im kinda disappointed toxicshadow skipped mine

I didn't really skip your entry. You might want to take a look at the original challenge thread first.... .
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:48:26 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »

I didn't really skip your entry. You might want to take a look at the original challenge thread first.... .

Ah yeah i just saw it.

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
That is a lot you guys had to comment on. Good job.  :)

With my card you have 50% chance to win first turn, 75% when looking two turns ahead, 87.5%, 93.75% and so on. The card does push hard for ending the game as soon as possible and it would certainly feel terrible for the player if too many turns go by without it knocking the opponents morale to zero.

Im not much for cards that give you just some chance to get an effect off and may end up failing, however in this case as the effect is each turn, then your card has never really missed its chance to trigger its effect. If we look at a card like Omnitron then it can spectacularly fail if hit by Corrupted Machinery, while in other matchups like DoD, if you are not close to winning by morale or Avatar of Daode bringing the opponents health to zero or something similar, then there is no way for the DoD player to beat the opponent by outplaying him when there are no cards for the DoD player to deal with the board presence that the Omnitron brings.

In that regards Land of Abandonment will give any deck a fighting chance(since it is literally a percentage chance) while also not failing as spectacularly as Omnitron being stolen. Even when removed by location removal the player can still play another Land of Abandonment.

While I can definitely understand the point made about loosing the turn it is played, at the same time it will spare players that don't want to concede a match, wasting time playing a match they can not win. I would just say the card has its pros and cons and it would have been better if I had made a card without probability that manages to balance pushing for a win while being counterable while also not being something that will just backfire if played in some matchups. Basically I could do a lot better than the card I entered into the challenge and try to avoid such drastic probabilities.

Got to say there were a lot of good card ideas in this challenge. I will be looking forward to the next one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:35:25 AM by Number11 »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 12:36:17 AM »
Its such a shame though i felt your cost lower idea was amazing. It prob wouldve had a good chance at winning with another effect