Author Topic: Iron-Willed Chef tournament--Feedback Thread  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Iron-Willed Chef tournament--Feedback Thread
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
Okay, folks, the tournament has come and gone. I must say that it was a blast. A huge thanks to everyone involved for making my tournament idea possible. A number of folks mentioned that they would love to do this sort of thing again, and I too would enjoy running another Iron-Willed Chef Tournament.

I'd love to have your feedback on how the tournament could be made better. How did I do selecting Ingredients? What are your thoughts on the format? Would it be easier to design around one ingredient than two? How was the broadcast/presentation? And so on.

Some preliminary thoughts:
Grotesque Brute was picked by half of the players. This led to a lack of diversity amongst decks, with most of the players running 2CoV.
ES: Force players to run at least one of their ingredients in the command zone. Avoid meta decks.
InvertedEye: some of the ingredients were too lackluster, particularly Converted Prototype (which, to be fair, I was concerned about).

Tell me what you think!
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Feroe

• View Profile
Re: Iron-Willed Chef tournament--Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:59:58 PM »
I really enjoyed the tournement. And i would definetely want to join a similar tournement in the future. I agree that too many players picked Grotesque Brute. t would have been more fun with more diversity. One thing that could solve that problem is having more players compete, which would result in more diversity. However, that might cause the last players to pick only having bad combinations left. Another solution could be, that there are enough ingrediants, so each player could have two unique ingredients each, and you only draft one ingredient at a time. With that solution the diversity would increase, and i think it would be more fair, to some of the people later in the drafting process.

If that drafting process was implemented i would suggest that the drafting would be like this:
4 players: player A, player B, Player C and Player D.

drafting order for first ingredients:
Player A
Player B
Player C
Player D

Drafting order for second ingredient:
Player D
Player C
Player B
Player A

Also i would suggest that you randomize the drafting order, so that the first player to sign up wont secure the spot for drafting first.

I think you did quite well selecting drafting pieces.
I agree that Converted Prototype was hard to build a deck around.
Also genetic splicing was also very difficult.
I would personally pick cards that are more fun to build around like: Infiltration and Bury

Overall great tournement. This was the tournement i have had the most fun with in Infinity Wars, because of drafting and deckbuilding :)

Hope you will do one in the future and thanks for hosting.
(Sorry for bad english. I hope it is understandable)

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:54:35 AM »
Force players to run at least 6 of their ingredients would be my advice. I didn't run into the secret ingredients in a majority of my matches. All my matches felt like meta matches to me, which were quite unfun. Playing with Verore and against Verore probably brought my enthusiasm down as well. As a personal opinion, I would prefer these be Bo1 matches with bans because with a sideboard, you could technically sideboard every single ingredient away and not use them at all, the opponent would never notice. That's what it felt like to me playing my matches. Or at the very least force a win condition with the secret ingredients.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:17:36 AM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Feroe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »
I agree with Orisolve

Offline ShamanExile

• You cast the Light, I'll cast the shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:23:10 AM »
1) Building off Feroe's drafting suggestion, I would implement a Catan drafting order.

2) Choose ingredients all of the same type, or with very clear deck types in mind; think of how MtG has the color identities, and consider what each pairing pushes for (might be too labor intensive the first time but may help coming up new ingredients later)

3) Have a predetermined banlist that's more specific than just "All of Rebellion/Star Trek/Omni" banned, etc. If you start doing pauper draft, for example, use the Pauper banlist.

Overall, like everyone else I had a blast and would love to do this again. After all, gotta represent the randos out there :P
Step 1: Find a cousin
Step 2: Load cousin into cannon
Step 3: Find another cousin