Author Topic: Iron-Willed Chef--Tournament Info and Sign-up  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Iron-Willed Chef--Tournament Info and Sign-up
« on: July 12, 2016, 09:58:21 PM »
So after gauging level of interest, I'd like to open up IW's first ever Iron-Willed Chef tournament.

Da Rules:
Players will select 2 of a list of "Secret Ingredient" cards and build a deck around them. Then they will face off in Bo3 matches against each other. The player(s) with the best record and the player(s) with the highest flavor score from the judge/s will be awarded prizes. The tournament will be a Swiss format, with all players playing in all rounds.

Ban List: Cards from the following sets are banned from the tournament: Omni, Rebellion. You can even use Star Trek cards if you really want, though I suppose that I'm flexible on that point. If there's an outcry to ban Star Trek, I will. Any cards disabled in-game at the time of the tourney are, naturally, banned.

Deckbuilding Requirements:
You are required to run each of your chosen secret ingredients. The secret ingredient cards will be "drafted" by the players; no two players will be allowed to select the same two ingredients in order to ensure that there are no outright mirror matches. I'm going to recommend that you run 3-of your secret ingredient, but if you want to run less that's your call. Remember that the secret ingredients you choose will help determine the purity of your deck. Most cards are Single Purity to give you some flexibility in this regard. If you choose the Factionless ingredient, you are not required to have a factionless commander. Your decks are locked in for the whole event.

The Drafting Process
Each player will draft the two secret ingredients they will use in their deck. Drafting occurs in order of sign-up and will take place in a separate thread following the reveal of the final ingredients tomorrow night. Each player will pick two ingredients, and no two players can have the same combination of ingredients. For instance, if I choose the Exiles Ingredient and the DoD Ingredient, you cannot choose those two but you can choose the Exiles Ingredient and the Warpath Ingredient. Once the draft is completed, you will have until Friday night to build your deck and submit your list/justification.
Ideally, everyone will draft their ingredients quickly so you'll have the full week to deckbuild, playtest, and write up your justification. I'll be sending out forum pms and announcing the start of the draft in-game to that end, so please keep an eye on your registered email in the coming days.

Flavor Judging:
This tournament is about your deckbuilding creativity. How well can you tell a story based on the chosen ingredients? How well can you address the flavor of the different factions? What sort of neat synergies did you include in your deck? And so on. If your secret ingredient does not play a key role in how your deck runs or in determining your deck's theme, that will probably hurt your score. This is a subjective judgment and as such the players will be given an opportunity to explain their deckbuilding choices. NOTE: All players must submit their decklists (preferably via Forum pm) to me by evening Friday, July 22nd, along with a paragraph or two discussing their deckbuilding choices. If you make any changes between submitting your list and the tournament, let me know.
As a separate note, I'm currently the only judge but if I won't turn away any volunteers. Just know that if you're a flavor judge you cannot be a participant in the tourney as that would lead to a conflict of interest.

Prize Payout:*
Shoutout to Lightmare for providing prize support!
All prizes are contingent upon the players completing the tournament event, so if you drop out early you get nothing. However, all players who participant will be awarded 2 Rift tokens as a door prize. Likewise, players who stream the entire event will be awarded an additional Rift token.

Prizes will be awarded separately for the players with the most flavorful decks and the players with the highest match scores after 3 rounds of Swiss (4 rounds if we get to 16 players and 5 if we get to 32). In the event of a tie for the Match Record competition, your flavor score will be used as a tiebreaker.

*Additional prizes may be added, currently pending

Match Record:
1st Place: 3 Faction Packs of your choice, 600 LP--Feroe
2nd Place: 2 Faction Packs of your choice, 300 LP--InvertedEye
3rd Place: 1 Faction Packs of your choice, 150 LP--Orisolve

Flavor:
1st Place: 3 Faction Packs of your choice, 600 LP--ShamanExile
2nd Place: 2 Faction Packs of your choice, 300 LP--DJAspire
3rd Place: 1 Faction Packs of your choice, 150 LP--Feroe

Tournament time: Saturday, July 23rd, at 5pm IWT/1pm EDT/7pm CEST
Each Round will last for 45 minutes. At 30 minutes I will check in with players, and after 45 minutes I reserve the right to call time. Note that this may result in a draw. Report your results in the Tournament chat channel, and it is highly recommended that players take screenshots in case there's any disagreement.

Broadcasting of the Event:
I will be streaming this event in conjunction with DrewUniverse. We'd love for as many players as possible to stream their matches--you'll even get a Rift token for doing so. When we aren't commentating current matches, Drew and I will be doing everything from live flavor judging to Q&As to song-writing competitions, just to make sure that the official broadcast is lively and entertaining.

The Secret Ingredients List will be revealed by the following poll. Players will get to draft them in order that they sign up. Know that most of them are single purity to enable as many different combinations as possible.
Currently revealed ingredients:
Descendants of the Dragon: Pilgrimage Monk
Exiles: Brief Visit to Torment
Warpath: Corrupted Forest
Cult of Verore: Grotesque Brute
Genesis Industries: Cloaked Operative
Flame Dawn: Flame Dawn Ram
Sleepers of Avarrach: Converted Prototype
Overseers of Solace: Soldier of Purity
Factionless: Genetic Splicing

Tournament Roster (8 slots, overflow/waitlist to 16)
1. Feroe--Corrupted Forest/Grotesque Brute
2. LargeNuggets--Soldier of Purity/Flame Ram
3. ES--Grotesque Brute/Converted Prototype
4. InvertedEye--Cloaked Operative/Flame Ram
5. GeistesblitZ--Grotesque Brute/Flame Ram
6. Orisolve--Genetic Splicing/Pilgrimage Monk
7. DJAspire--Pilgrimage Monk/Grotesque Brute
8. MerliniX--Converted Prototype/Genetic Splicing
8. Shamanexile--Corrupted Forest/Brief Visit to Torment
Waitlist
9. Mediff--

Got Questions? Ask away. Ready to roll? Let me know and I'll add you to the list of participants.

As a final note, some of you may be wondering: how serious is this tourney? Is it just a tournament for bad decks? No. This is meant to be a competitive tournament with an extra flavor component. If you just want to run a meta deck with a single copy of each of your single ingredients, go ahead. You won't do well in the flavor competition, but if you play well enough and win enough matches then you can still win prizes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:49:42 PM by Benionin »
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Feroe

• View Profile
Re: Iron-Willed Chef--Tournament Info and Sign-up
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:44:48 AM »
Sounds very fun, i would very much like to participate :) Where should i sign up?

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
For now, simply sign-up by commenting here
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
seems fun! sign me up :)

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »
I will not be able to play at this date...  :'(

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »
Unique and intriguing, Sign me up!  ;D
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline InvertedEye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
Sign me up.

Offline Rionoskae

• Rawr
    • View Profile
    • Straight2ThePint.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »
I would love to take part but I'm busy that day. Make sure to reserve a spot for me for the next one though!

Will this be recorded or streamed on twitch at all?

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 07:45:12 PM »
I would like to know the prizes & time before I make my decision to participate.
If not, then I could be a judge. As a judge, could I demand a thesis be written to me explaining their ingredients and how it synergies with their deck?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:47:42 PM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:43 PM »
I would like to know the prizes & time before I make my decision to participate.
If not, then I could be a judge. As a judge, could I demand a thesis be written to me explaining their ingredients and how it synergies with their deck?  ;)

I'm going to be talking with Drew tonight to work out some more details, will update then.

I would love to take part but I'm busy that day. Make sure to reserve a spot for me for the next one though!

Depending on how well this first tourney goes I may hold another one later--perhaps in conjunction with the release of the new set. I'm going to try to figure out how to stream beforehand so I can provide commentary, but that'll definitely be something for me to discuss with Drew tonight.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline ShamanExile

• You cast the Light, I'll cast the shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 02:31:51 AM »
Of course you do this on the day I move in to my new place and have no internet. Thanks there buddy! (if the flavor ruling can wait till after the tournament, though, you could have people submit decklists and I can help flavor judge!)
Step 1: Find a cousin
Step 2: Load cousin into cannon
Step 3: Find another cousin

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 04:42:59 AM »
Big update to the OP, included expanded information on the rules, prizes, and broadcasting details. Check it out!

I'd like to give a big thanks to DrewUniverse for helping out with the details, including a number of things that I hadn't foreseen. And thanks to Lightmare for the prize support that they've provided
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:46:03 AM by Benionin »
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline GeistesblitZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 08:43:07 PM »
Don't have all the cards yet, but sign me up!

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »
Could you sign me up in the 8th slot? I want to draft last.

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 10:38:02 PM »

I will be streaming my matches :)