Author Topic: Weekly Post #18: New Card set information!  (Read 10351 times)

Offline DrewUniverse

• View Profile
Weekly Post #18: New Card set information!
« on: July 03, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Hey everybody! I'm here with the next update on IW. I will start this one off with a few updates on game issues that should be mentioned, but the main topic for this week is our next card set. We promised more information and I think you guys will be pleased. Let's start with a few game issues I want to mention real quick (not exhaustive):

• Ongoing bugs: The invisible gold cards in draft and the deckbuilder crashes are on our fix-it list for the next update.
  • Encountering the same opponent 2-3 times in a row in draft: We have identified the issue and should have a fix for that ASAP.

The Next Set Of Cards

Just about every trading card game needs an influx of new cards periodically to keep things fresh, to keep the metagame shifting around. New decks, new combinations, new possibilities. It's important to keep creating new cards, but the quality also matters. I'm going to explain some of our development process for the next expansion now, and save lore details for another day. Read on!

Yodomare has wanted to provide updates to the game, cards included, more frequently than just once every 4-6 months. It's a long, slow build-up that finally culminates in a lot of player interest. However, that excitement only holds for a limited time before it fades away leaving a long period of relative dead-ness. Giving a lot of small updates constantly is the other side of the spectrum, providing a lot more communication while lacking in a big build-up. Either way there's a downside.  Well, our team is going to bridge a gap between both concepts.

Basically, we're going to have ongoing updates in an upward curve to maintain frequent updates, as well as the big build-up effect. Starting this month, July, we are unveiling a small amount of cards, eight of them. They will be available in a sort of preview Penta-Pack for sale in-game (IP or LP). It's a separate, modified Collection Pack: It will cost slightly more than a regular Collection Penta-Pack, but let me explain why: The pack will have a guaranteed rare slot as normal, and one guaranteed slot from the mini-set of eight new cards. Each of the new eight cards are rare as well, so the value should offset plenty by a minor price increase. Note: The preview packs will not be Platinum, but read on for more info about that.

In August, we will remove that first preview Penta-Pack and replace it with another one. The same concept applies as it did for July with an exception: There will be more than eight new cards in the second preview Penta-Pack. The new card count will increase each month for a few more months. In the final month the most new cards will be unveiled, which will mean the entire set has been unveiled by then. At that time, we plan to preserve and honor the milestone pre-order system that has existed for previous expansions. The final preview Penta-Pack will be removed, and a full expansion Penta-Pack just for the new card set will be available to purchase. Pre-order will take effect, and all full-set Penta-Packs purchased in that time period will result in platinum cards.

It is our belief that this format of release will help bridge the best of both update methods - increased communication and activity between card expansions, without taking away from that culmination effect that should accompany a new set of cards. This also helps ease our testing period. We can test these cards in smaller number to begin, instead of testing the entire set all at once having no period of easing into it. Does that make sense? Okay, let's recap:

• New cards revealed each month in increasing number, culminating in a full set release.
  • Each month's mini-set of cards are placed in the in-game store for IP/LP for that one month, as a modified Collection booster with 1 guaranteed new card and 1 guaranteed rare for a slight cost increase (no platinums).
  • In the final month, the last preview Penta-Pack is removed from the store and a full set Penta-Pack is added to the store, to begin the Pre-order phase with included milestone markers.
Okay, looks good! Yes, post your questions about this new system in this thread, and I'll answer on a near-daily basis. I'll add a FAQ ahead of time with some possible questions.

FAQ About The New Card Expansion

Q: How does the "available pool" of new cards work for each preview pack?
A: The first preview Penta-Pack will be for the eight cards we are revealing now. The second preview Penta-Pack will not have those eight new cards in the pool - they will be new cards we did not show in the first preview.

Q: What is the release timeline for July?
A: The PBE test server is live now, with the first grouping of eight new cards. Before the month is over, the live server will list a preview Penta-Pack in the in-game store.

Q: Will players get to test the cards and give feedback?
A: Yes, the test server will be open for long periods so players can test the cards and deck-build freely, theorycrafting and experimenting. For actual testing I will be hosting testing sessions in multiple timezones so we can get test matches going - otherwise plan to meet up with your friends! Cards are subject to change depending on player feedback and our own findings on how these new cards affect the game.

Q: With the preview Penta-Packs, do I get to keep the new cards or are they a temporary loan?
A: Keep!

Q: For the new cards that are revealed before the set comes out 100%, will those cards be usable in PVP?
A: I'm not certain, but I will check with the team. My guess is that the new cards will be banned from Ranked play until the set is done. They will probably be available in Normals, and I'm not sure about Draft.

Q: Will the full expansion set Penta-Pack be purchasable in both LP and IP?
A: Yes, LP and IP.

Q: How many cards in the set?
A: Approximately 100. (Approximate means "close to exact" but the number is not exactly 100.)

Q: Will there be a place we can consolidate our feedback about the new cards?
A: Yes, via the forums. I'll get a sticky thread up in the News and Developer Talk section later today. Stay tuned, I'll post a reply here when it's up.

Post all your questions in this thread to receive any answer I can give you! More information about the new set of cards will come soon™
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:51:21 AM by DrewUniverse »

Offline tomuchmayo

• View Profile
Re: Weekly Post #18: New Card set information!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »
notbad.jpg

Offline Githian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 01:21:05 PM »
I... like it?
I'm scared, you might be forcing me to come back to the game, and I don't have the time right now  :'(

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
How flexible will yodomare be on changing imba/poorly designed cards? (Ixxi I'm looking at you). We have had pbe access before major updates in the past but player feedback has often been given very little weight, in particular with things like cultivated draft.

How open will yodomare be to reworking things that will be bad for the game?

Offline InvertedEye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
Well I just looked at the new cards on PBE and jesus they are all strong as puffy.

Offline tomuchmayo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 01:33:08 PM »
in b4 the new sleeper card rage. Me personally my deck would totally love that card xD but dang lol

Offline InvertedEye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »
in b4 the new sleeper card rage. Me personally my deck would totally love that card xD but dang lol

The sleeper one is probably one of the weaker ones lol.

Offline tomuchmayo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 01:36:05 PM »

The sleeper one is probably one of the weaker ones lol.
fine by me then lol its strict upgrade to infested hulker with an upper rarity cost an no hybrid xD

Offline DrewUniverse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »

I hear you, especially if SIZ is in command, at 1 purity, alongside 2WP for Fite-Rite combo. Infested Hulker's victims don't acquire infect. SIZ is basically a mini-Kyrallic. We are going to watch this card's performance closely in mass testing.

@MerliniX, fair question. My initial response is "generally yes" overall, but I'll try to grab a detailed answer from the team. (Edit: It'll be about perspective, but the more you can prove your point about a given change request, the more likely that change can come to pass. Let's work toward that end together as a team, and I'll do what I can from there.)

Right now it's Sunday for everyone but me anyways and I need sleep. G'night for now!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:38:50 PM by DrewUniverse »

Offline tomuchmayo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »

I hear you, especially if SIZ is in command, at 1 purity, alongside 2WP for Fite-Rite combo. Infested Hulker's victims don't acquire infect. SIZ is basically a mini-Kyrallic. We are going to watch this card's performance closely in mass testing.

@MerliniX, fair question. My initial response is "generally yes" overall, but I'll try to grab a detailed answer from the team. (Edit: It'll be about perspective, but the more you can prove your point about a given change request, the more likely that change can come to pass. Let's work toward that end together as a team, and I'll do what I can from there.)

Right now it's Sunday for everyone but me anyways and I need sleep. G'night for now!
it will be in my rabies deck so it iwll get testing done xD

Offline Githian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
Are you going to post previews of the cards anywhere? I don't think I have access to the pbe and I'm curious  ;D

Offline InvertedEye

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 02:02:26 PM »
8 cost 1 purity warpath 16/20 when shockwave giant comes into play, it deals 10 damage to all other characters in play. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
8 cost 1 purity warpath 16/20 when shockwave giant comes into play, it deals 10 damage to all other characters in play. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah this is basically exactly what I was talking about with my 'when things need to get changed post'. I am not sure what exactly I am even supposed to say to start on this one to be honest. Maybe I should link the steam page for the game so the devs can install it and play it for a bit.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
Yodomare has wanted to provide updates to the game, cards included, more frequently than just once every 4-6 months.

But updates every 4-6 months WOULD be more frequently... ZING!  ;D

More seriously. I dont understand why pre-pre-order cards arent plat but pre-order cards are plat. First you buy cards and they are not plat then you buy cards and they are plat then you buy cards and they are not plat. Why? It seems like it will create a bit of unnecessary confusion.

Also I notice that this 'new' set formula is basically identical the old formula except that you are able to buy the cards as a preview rather than receive the preview cards in quests. For example

Old release formula                                           New release formula
    100 cards                                                            100 cards
    every 4-6 months                                                every 4-6 months
    pre-orders plat                                                     pre-orders plat
    previews released a few per week in quests          previews released a few per week in packs

Not quite revolutionary :P

Im glad to see a new set coming finally so thats good. There are two big potential downsides to this approach as I see it. The first is that this will mean there will be no new ranked legal cards until the end of the year. Hope everyones not sick of the meta yet ;D
The second is that if you continue to produce the same quality of patches as you have been this will be a complete disaster. Every patch you've introduced new bugs sometimes as many as you've patched. With this card release strategy you'll be introducing game breaking bugs every couple of weeks when you inject buggy cards that break other cards and interaction and even features. You'll spend a few weeks stamping out the fires and then do it all again. I fear that the game will be perpetually in need of a hot fix.
If you haven't considered how you are going to stop that from happening please do.

:)
Goose got me loose!

Offline Nibiru23

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

This card will be playable for 3 option.

1- using cassial or martyr
2- using character like Moose.
3- using 2p verore and 1p warpath ( clean board)

will this card have a combo with Box or cta?