Author Topic: Weekly Post #16: IW Reborn 2.0 reveal, and ALL the things. Seriously.  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Post #16: IW Reborn 2.0 reveal, and ALL the things. Seriously.
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
I think we can all agree that Drafting is subjective and very opinionated as to who believes what to be the best. Some prefer to have certain Aletas (,,!,, Caretaker) and Zuza banned, others would want every card unbanned. The thing is: Draft is currently in a very healthy state. Sure SOA and WP dominate the scene, but compare this mode to all the other construction sites of the game. Draft can be forgotten for a while, so we can Progress on way more important stuff like Ranked Seasons, Tournament Mode, ACTION LOG (ACTION LOG (ACTION LOG (DO IT!))), Spectator Mode, Improved Trading and existing bug (i.e. zone bug).

Draft is not perfect, but in way better shape than other core features. If we take it step by step, then move draft to the back of the list of things that need to be improved and work in it again in 2-3 months or so.

Offline JHOW4864

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
I agree with bear because i have seen these updates happen time and time again where they make out its a major development and its really just trivial. Another thing to add is they keep updating the campaign, and then new cards get released, and not long after that a load of stuff gets nerfed because of that, and then the campaign is broken for months because of that.

Offline Crestmoor

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »
Though I don't understand why the Action Log is not going to be implemented. I need details as to why the devs of this game are unable to implement this most crucial feature.

Seriously, implement the f***ing Action Log...

Well actually the action log is in the 2.0 build on PBE, we've just hidden it for now because:

1) while it works quite well, the way that the action logs were presented are not yet in a very user friendly state.  we wanted to write a parser that would reformat the action log into more "English friendly" format before we enabled it.
2) There are a handful of cards in game that become "exploitable" when the action log is enabled so we wanted to spend some time identifying these cards, then hiding this information before turning on the action log.  One example that we identified to be exploitable when we were testing the action log was "Hunt", since the action log would give away which card was targeted which the player is not meant to know.

Net net, we've got the foundations of many features built inside of the Reborn client and hence that's why I reinforce that we have a great foundation upon which to rapidly add new features.  It's always the last 20% of the fine print that'll always take 80% of the time to implement, test and polish though.
Crestmoor the Omnimind
-----------------------------
Draft deck with Omnimind, Lanstead and War Machine = A can of WhoopAss for all occasions

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »
Though I don't understand why the Action Log is not going to be implemented. I need details as to why the devs of this game are unable to implement this most crucial feature.

Seriously, implement the f***ing Action Log...

Well actually the action log is in the 2.0 build on PBE, we've just hidden it for now because:

1) while it works quite well, the way that the action logs were presented are not yet in a very user friendly state.  we wanted to write a parser that would reformat the action log into more "English friendly" format before we enabled it.
2) There are a handful of cards in game that become "exploitable" when the action log is enabled so we wanted to spend some time identifying these cards, then hiding this information before turning on the action log.  One example that we identified to be exploitable when we were testing the action log was "Hunt", since the action log would give away which card was targeted which the player is not meant to know.

Net net, we've got the foundations of many features built inside of the Reborn client and hence that's why I reinforce that we have a great foundation upon which to rapidly add new features.  It's always the last 20% of the fine print that'll always take 80% of the time to implement, test and polish though.
Sounds very promising. I just hope that the ship won't steer without a captain at the wheel at some point.

What I still don't understand though: If most of the work is "testing" as you say it, why is the PBE for this huge patch/relaunch only 1 week? I've seen Stresstests lasting longer. I'm sorry, I have a lot of faith in your recent efforts, I just don't comprehend this extremely short PBE. I would've expected AT LEAST 2 weeks if not a month.

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
Ok guys, I repeat that I do agree with Adora, Pelagoth and now, I must say that JHOW and others have a good point too.

You know, sometimes, you are in a relationship and you get tired of hearing the same promises again and again BUT... there are certain attitudes that indicates that things are going to "be different this time".

That is my impression right now.

Ok, maybe, I'm not like Bear that is in this relationship since the beggining.

Maybe, I'm a little more optimistic than I should and, I could be seen, eventually, as 'fool' for thinking this way.

Althought, MAYBE, right now, "all we need is just a little patience".

Me?

I believe things are going to "be different this time".

"Little patience
Need a little patience
Just a little patience
Some more patience"  ;D

Offline Trevinburgh

• View Profile
    • IWgamewiki
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2016, 03:33:34 PM »
Some fair points made about previous updates, promises, etc; I've been around long enough to remember them too. However we need to remember that this time it's a different team.

Let's not prejudge the new team based on previous failings.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
It's always the last 20% of the fine print that'll always take 80% of the time to implement, test and polish though.

Just so you know, you are using the 80/20 rule backwards lol.

Let's not prejudge the new team based on previous failings.

I agree, but I think its fair to judge based on the last 6 months as well as what they just stated their priorities on the 'road ahead' were.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:56:15 PM by Adorabear »
Goose got me loose!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
Into the Fray chapter 7 and epilogue have been completed and posted to the forums. For those of you waiting until the story is finished, that's the end (though there have been suggestions to build a short story collection around it and I plan on a few sequels of comparative length). More information on the Q&A to follow.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Heyheuhei

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »
New login screen, less wait time to log-in.
Looks much better than now, so i like it  ;D

A much fuller campaign for multiple factions, with overhauled Campaign Map.
A bit weird, becouse from 4 mission voice suddenly disapear, only letters left. Altough pretty funny and strange win with FD by morale

revamped store experience with complete item descriptions and previews, as well as new store content.
Looks much much better, altough i feel lag as before when i open more packs

Fixed Deck Arena - use curated decks as a starting-point in PVP
Good idea, but need better decks, most of them bad and not funny

Introduction of Rift Tokens for your rift runs, purchase in bulk (with IP!) at a slight discount.
Very cool :P

Draft Experience - mouse-over previous card picks for full details and bigger image.
Also very cool :P

Assorted performance optimizations
This means no sleeper and oversears lags?

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »
When it comes to the campaign on the test server the description of some missions are not fully shown, looking like the full text does not fit into the description box of the selected mission. For example the last mission of the warpath campaign. I also think that during a mission I got a draw, even so I got a dialogue as if I had won the mission. Hope this feedback helps.

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2016, 01:07:57 AM »
There are three kinds of people in this world:

1. The ones who see a draw as a draw
2. The ones who see a draw as a win
3. The ones who see a draw as a loss

Which one are you?
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Trevinburgh

• View Profile
    • IWgamewiki
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2016, 06:34:24 AM »
There are three kinds of people in this world: people who understand binary and people who don't.

Hang on, that doesn't sound quite right...

I think a draw can reasonably be counted as 'success' in a campaign mission, but perhaps this needs to be made more explicit.

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2016, 04:26:52 PM »
There are three kinds of people in this world:

1. The ones who see a draw as a draw
2. The ones who see a draw as a win
3. The ones who see a draw as a loss

Which one are you?

I see draw as a draw. However, when it's a mission it would be nice to know if a draw should mean a success for a mission or a failure.

If the win condition for a mission is bringing the opponents fortress health to 0 without mentioning the state of you own fortress, then I guess a draw would count as a win.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:31:36 PM by Number11 »

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
    • Message Cleanse on Infinity Wars Wiki
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:02 PM »
Also, LM/Y1, have you contacted Steam about the relaunch? I know for at least one set release (Order, I think) the game was featured in new and updated games.

Offline Hacker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2016, 03:05:45 AM »
Let's look at the big picture.

The game was basically scewed, nothing worked, bugs were a regular experience and the coding was like spaghetti that had been tied in knots.We were on the verge of not even having a game.

The amount of work needed to recode, dig out bugs, work on new content, build a marketing plan, make deals related to that marketing plan and keep the current populace as least moderately happy while this was going on was a tall order for a small team.

Patience is a virtue and I will be the first to admit that I even get the puffys from time to time with certain things but in the end realise that there is an end goal in site of an improved client as well as player experience. Doesn't mean we cant feel the pain from time to time but complaining doesn't solve anything it just slows things down and frustrates ones self.

Grit you teeth, cross your fingers and have some faith that in the end it will all resolve itself. Yodo and Lightmare don't want to invest all these resources for a nil result, they want profit which means success in all the things they are doing as if they do not address issues they have no product. They aren't fools and know they have to pay the bills which means success for the game.
The Hacker