Author Topic: My little stolen joy  (Read 515 times)

Offline VefomeT

• View Profile
My little stolen joy
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
"At the end of the turn, if Gowron is deployed and has taken damage this turn, he creates an 11/10 Yan-Isleth in the Support Zone."

So, I've noticed, that gowron was nerfed quite a bit. Now he creates his little friends only after combat damage. But text still says "damage", without specification.
Problem is not the text, but the nerf itself.
I had a burning affection to this card and to the game style it provided. (poison damage+gowron combo)
So I will fight for it furiously.

Gowron is illegal in ranked.
He was played for fun only, and strategically he was INTERESTING to play, if played smart.
He creates followers only after being deployed (this makes him dangerous only after turn 7 or so)
He was easily countered, not VERY dangerous.
Not many people played him, come on, he wasn't worth this negative attention to it, compared to today's tendency to 5 turn easy wins, without high intellectual effort.
I need him back, I miss my ill, poisoned, slowly suffering Gowron

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: My little stolen joy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
I was shocked when I saw this and immediately went to test it. Here's what I discovered:

Gowron will still trigger if he fought someone with 0 power.
Duel is still at best a laggy card and at worst buggy. Do not combine with Evolving parasite.
Gowron still triggers from non-combat damage.
Gowron will no longer trigger from poison.

I think rather than being an intentional nerf, this change came about due to recent alterations to the way the game calculates the end of the turn. So what's happening is that Gowron's checking to see if he was damaged before the poison damage is applied.

Which sucks, because Gowron decks are cool and now one of the best ways to abuse him has been eliminated. I doubt LM did this intentionally for the reasons you mentioned (illegal in ranked, easily countered, etc), but for the same reasons I doubt they'll change him back to his old functionality. Meaning I might as well just delete another cool deck because it's no longer viable, just like when Gowron was changed to not trigger from command (a change I felt was unwarranted, but whatever).
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline VefomeT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »
Oh, I see now.
No real problem then, new alternative needed and will be found.
Thank you for helping to understand this!

Offline VefomeT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »
So, I've discovered some strange stuff.
Shizarius, the cruel + Gowron in support zone is useless, but on the battlefield they make babies without problems.
Firebolt triggers him anywhere while he is deployed. Such as winds of war on the battlefield.
Poison, though - no effect.  Shizarius damages at the end of the turn, such as poison, so this is not a damage checking time issue.
They f*cked the card somehow, I feel it :-\
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:49:50 AM by VefomeT »