Author Topic: If we put Team Vs Team into Tourney Rotation, how should we do it?  (Read 3729 times)

Offline DrewUniverse

• View Profile
Thanks to some initial feedback and further brainstorming, I'd like to ask how everyone feels about putting Team play into the tournament rotation. Whether it becomes weekly, bi-weekly, monthly? Pairs split off, or gauntlet? Let's get into the pretty-sure items and the options beyond that.

The Pretty-Sure stuff
  • Teams of up to Six players, minimum of Three. It can easily be five or seven, but keep in mind we can't go too high with the current low population. Matchups involve three players only for now.
  • Best-of-3s, at least for now. Bo1 would only be considered for KoTH/Gauntlet style.
  • The test events next week will be Swiss format on Friday, May 6th using pair splits. Each teammate faces someone from the other team, total score is the team's record. Example: Team A wins two Bo3 series and Team B only gets one series win. Team A is considered the winner of that round. Sudden Death is resolved in individual player pairs, so there will never be a tie score between two teams.
  • A weekend Elimination Test will be on Sunday, May 8th. This will have at least four teams, maybe eight or even sixteen competing. It will run as paired splits, just like the Swiss event.
  • Create a Team Logo or request one from an artist on the forum (offer cards for artwork if needed?).
  • There should probably be a modest cooldown on how often you can switch what team you are on. We don't want players flipping teams every week, but the cooldown should not be too long either. Maybe one month? Three months?

The More Open-Ended stuff (long-term choices)
  • How often to run this event type? Prefer one weekend a month? Two? Or should it be on a weekday? Every week, or every other week?
  • Which event style? Prefer Gauntlet/King of the Hill (first player from each team fight it out, loser knocked out and replaced by teammate 2, winner stays in. First team to run out of players loses)| OR, pair-off into groups of two? Former is like sudden death, latter is more RNG-based for matchups but faster, and allows us to set-up Elimination/Swiss team events more easily for large numbers of players.
  • What kind of prizes do you want? IB cards, IP, boosters? Do you want a choice between X Y and Z? Prefer mix of prizes (such as 15K IP and an IB card and a few booster packs), or just one kind of prize (only IP, only IB, only boosters)? Keep in mind we'd probably have equal prizes for all team members that play in the event, but not for any reserve members who did not play. Also, if you'd like another kind of prize that doesn't exist, such as some kind of special banner or medallion on your profile, feel free to make suggestions in case Yodomare ends up liking your idea and implementing it into the game.

If you reply to this stuff, keep in mind that we can simply try things without having to commit to them forever. The only way this is gonna go great is if we try stuff out based on player feedback, see what happens and refine/adjust from there.

***Note: I will probably think of more things to add more tomorrow. This is not an exhaustive list yet. Any additions I make here will be noted in a reply post so you know what changed.***

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: If we put Team Vs Team into Tourney Rotation, how should we do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »
I think running a team event once a month would be a good starting pace. If the format picks up in popularity then you might consider running it more often.
As for the style, I've already said that I prefer the pairing-off method to the gauntlet method, as it means everyone gets to play and everyone's contribution matters.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:00:04 AM »
King of the hill is really an awful method for competitive play. It puts too much emphasis on the teams best player.

In TCGs it also puts too much emphasis on winning the first game. Due to the ability to 'counter pick' matchups tend to go win > loss > win > loss, so whoever wins the first game has a massive statistical advantage.

Also because players have to wait their turn to play, rounds can take ages. Team tournaments are a time constraint nightmare!

My favourite format for team tournaments is actually randomly selected match ups.
- The tournament host randomly selects who should play against who.
- The team that wins the most matches wins.

The RNG of who faces who is actually very insignificant. You can end up with some giant killings, which is fun to see as well as super close matchups.

The biggest advantage of this is that it doesn't matter when people play, which makes it a lot faster. Obviously the team sizes need to be an odd number to help avoid ties.

This method doesn't put loads of emphasis on a teams best player, or worst player and statistically favours the most balanced teams.

Also substitutes need to be mandatory! Any team without subs will drag a team event out.

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:00:01 AM »
King of the hill is really an awful method for competitive play. It puts too much emphasis on the teams best player.

In TCGs it also puts too much emphasis on winning the first game. Due to the ability to 'counter pick' matchups tend to go win > loss > win > loss, so whoever wins the first game has a massive statistical advantage.

Also because players have to wait their turn to play, rounds can take ages. Team tournaments are a time constraint nightmare!

My favourite format for team tournaments is actually randomly selected match ups.
- The tournament host randomly selects who should play against who.
- The team that wins the most matches wins.

The RNG of who faces who is actually very insignificant. You can end up with some giant killings, which is fun to see as well as super close matchups.

The biggest advantage of this is that it doesn't matter when people play, which makes it a lot faster. Obviously the team sizes need to be an odd number to help avoid ties.

This method doesn't put loads of emphasis on a teams best player, or worst player and statistically favours the most balanced teams.

Also substitutes need to be mandatory! Any team without subs will drag a team event out.

+1 to this, pairing off is probably better than gauntlet and it's even better if the pairs are random.

Offline MonkeyWithGun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »
  • There should probably be a modest cooldown on how often you can switch what team you are on. We don't want players flipping teams every week, but the cooldown should not be too long either. Maybe one month? Three months?

If this kind of tournaments will conducted each month, i think its so bad idea to set a cooldown longer than 3 weeks. Today im active player, tommorow maybe not. Who knows, if your team will be active after 1 month  :-\

Offline davorinjo

• daco IGN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »
I personaly love idea about teams clashing each other.
daco is in the HOUSE!

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 05:46:27 AM »
First step we need to organize for at least 6 players to be online at once :P
Goose got me loose!

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »
You don't need to be online at once.

The best team events I've been in have given each player 1 week to complete his matchup.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 05:31:06 PM »
First step we need to organize for at least 6 players to be online at once :P

I mean, we've had tournaments of 16 people before. Ideally you'd want at least 4 teams, which is 12. So getting the players, just based on previous tournament entries, seems plausible.

But Ben, I was making a joke. Besides, not everyone who plays in individual tournaments is going to have enough friends/networking to be a part of a 3-person team. Like you. You have no friends.

Well, that got oddly accusatory at the end, but you're right that I can't just raise a 3-man team with a wave of my hand (I can get 2 people though, and how hard could it be to find a third?). Given the givens, probably not as hard as I think it would be. But you are right about that: not everyone who participates as an individual will have the desire or manpower to play as a team of 3.
You don't need to be online at once.

The best team events I've been in have given each player 1 week to complete his matchup.

The trouble with that idea is that you run the danger of a team with one person and two smurf accounts. Not going to mention any wizards,1 but if you don't have to have the entire team in one place at one time then you can't know if you're dealing with one team or one person pretending to be a team.

1. The existence of Merlin's smurf accounts is well-known. Merlin once had what, 3 of the top 5 ranked spots? However, I firmly believe that Merlin wouldn't actually resort to using smurfs to create a shadow team, both because wizards are honorable and because he's already on a team.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
1. The existence of Merlin's smurf accounts is well-known. Merlin once had what, 3 of the top 5 ranked spots? However, I firmly believe that Merlin wouldn't actually resort to using smurfs to create a shadow team, both because wizards are honorable and because he's already on a team.

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »
I have no friends, I am my only friend. Therefore I will smurf.
Also trust no one! We play to win, no one wants that one loser on their team who always loses. *Cough* that loser is me.  :'(
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
I have no friends, I am my only friend. Therefore I will smurf.
Also trust no one! We play to win, no one wants that one loser on their team who always loses. *Cough* that loser is me.  :'(

There are no losers in BOD!
you are a cherishable asset for the Dawn  :P
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline InvertedEye

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 09:24:10 PM »
Who would I even team up with? I am forever alone. :'(

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 05:25:38 AM »

I'm going to take this moment to rest my case.
Gao Han or Gao Home!

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 08:04:41 AM »
But Ben, I was making a joke. Besides, not everyone who plays in individual tournaments is going to have enough friends/networking to be a part of a 3-person team. Like you. You have no friends.

Yikes a real life mind reader! :P How did you do that! :P
Goose got me loose!