Author Topic: [Card Design Challenge] - Legends  (Read 7958 times)

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
Re: [Card Design Challenge] - Legends
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
Dude X=X what else could it be?

If it were twice then it would be 2X.
That might be obvious to you. But I and maybe other people are used to the wording of IW, which is clearly always stating what the X is based on. I also believed it to be the amount paid, but that doesn't justify an unclear wording.

thats only because IW does not have standardized wording. They use X when the value is not available AND when the value is listed previously.

In Mtg they differentiate between X and *. X is a value previously defined already using mana or something else in most cases, * is a special value that needs to be defined.

It shouldnt be confusing as long as you read critically and the wording is actually right (which in many cases is not for IW).
I'm not the best at mathematics, but usually you use X as a variable that can't clearly be defined. Ofcourse if it's Overcharge 4, they could say that the character gains +4/+4 when played. But if it's like Demon of Fear that uses X as an variating number, then it needs extra wording to make it clear what the X is based on and what it does. Same would go for the mentioned card.

I also agree that some wording in IW is sometimes not clear enough, but I feel like the way they explain the mechanics which use X as a variable, are detailed enough to not get confused. Havn't encountered any card that has confused me in that sense.

Anyhow, this is going offtopic, so I will end debating here. Still wouldn't mind discussing this further online in chat or via PM.

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 12:33:29 PM »
Shui zhu, Jinhai hero
2 DoD
6 cost
15 morale
unique character - human
10/10
Legendary

Shui zhu will half all damage he takes (damage rounded up) and he cannot be killed from non damage sources.

"Those who face Shui zhu become mesmerized by the flow of his offensive and defensive moves."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:02:43 PM by Number11 »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
Shui zhu, Jinhai hero
2 DoD
6 cost
15 morale
character - human
10/10
Legendary

Shui zhu will half all damage he takes and he cannot be killed from non damage sources.

"Those who face Shui zhu become mesmerized by the flow of his offensive and defensive moves."

Will the damage be rounded up or down? Can make quite the difference sometimes...

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 01:52:28 PM »
Displacement Drudge
2p GI
3 cost
Character - Artificial
4 morale
6/4

At the start of each turn, exhaust Displacement Drudge and another deployed artificial character. If you do, remove target character from the game. At the end of the turn, that character returns to play. If not, Displacement Drudge deals 4 damage to each character in the opponent's support zone and then leaves play.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:46:10 AM by drewmb10 »

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »
Scrap factory of mass production
2p GI
4 cost
Pay 1: create a 2/2 Unending drone. You may use this ability up to twice per turn
When an Unending drone is destroyed, take 3 damage.
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 07:05:15 PM »
Shui zhu, Jinhai hero
2 DoD
6 cost
15 morale
character - human
10/10
Legendary

Shui zhu will half all damage he takes and he cannot be killed from non damage sources.

Will the damage be rounded up or down? Can make quite the difference sometimes...

The damage is rounded up. I have updated my post.

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »
Verorian Infiltrator
2 COV
Cost 3
12 Morale
Character - Human
2/5
At the end of the turn if Verorian Infiltrator has attacked an opponents fortress this turn and is still deployed the top 3 cards in the opponent's deck are revealed to you.

"Knowledge is power..."

Basically the idea is to get more info on an opponents possible future plays, maybe not as useful as revealing some cards in your opponents hand but still pretty helpful.
The opponent would really want to get rid of it due to its effect and they can do so fairly easily as it only has 5 health, so the player running it needs to be careful, they also need to keep in mind its morale cost.
It's not super useful if the opponents deck is very simple (aka just lots of characters with haste/charge and/or high stats) but it could really help one outplay their opponent.
(also the number of cards doesn't 'stack' so there's not much point having multiples in the game at the same time)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:12:02 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline Pixelei

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 02:48:25 PM »
Radariah, Spectacle of Grace
Legendary
Unique character, Angel
4/4
Cost: 1
Morale: 8
Purity: 1 OoS

Untouchable

Radariah will only attack if she is alone. When she attacks the enemy fortress, all other characters you control gain +1/+1

A blinding flash of her blade and few are those not awestruck

Offline Onyx

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 05:42:00 AM »
Agent Onyx, Rift Traveller
Factionless
Unique Character - Human
Legendary
Cost: 3
Morale: 10
Stats: 6/6

When Agent Onyx is deployed, he gains one or more abilities depending on the opponent's chosen purities:[s/]

• [CoV]: Pay 3, Exhaust: Target character gains "cannot be killed by non-damage sources until end of turn".
  • [WP]: Pay 2, Exhaust: Target character on the battlefield gains +6/+0 until end of turn.
  • [GI]: Pay 2, Exhaust: Target character on the battlefield receives 2 damage or 4 damage if that character is artificial.
  • [FD]: Pay 2, Exhaust: If target character is in the assault zone during combat resolution this turn, it enters combat with Agent Onyx before normal combat resolution takes place.
  • [DoD]: Pay 4, Exhaust: Target character in the defense zone cannot block until end of turn (attacking characters ignore him, but he is not forced to change his zone).
  • [SoA]: Pay 2, Exhaust: Target character gains "When this character kills a character, that character is removed from the game instead of being moved to the graveyard" until end of turn.
  • [E]: Pay 2, Exhaust: You may play one of the top 3 cards from your graveyard as if they were in your hand (you have to pay their cost). Played card gains text "This card is removed from the game instead of being moved to the graveyard."
  • [Oos]: Pay 0: Remove Sol from the game and from your opponent's collection.
  • [OoS]: Pay 3, Exhaust: Target character is moved to the defense zone and gains flying until end of turn.
  • [Factionless]: Pay 2, Exhaust: Your hand is shuffled into your deck. Draw equal number of cards -1.

{Animation on the card switches between four scenes in which Agent Onyx: kicks Skraar in the teeth, deathrays Rita, pisses on Sol's corpse and slaps Kali on the butt.}

EDIT: Since the challenge was left unresolved I withdraw my entry.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:20:51 PM by Onyx »

Offline tropireno

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 02:57:53 AM »
Lynx, Boss Engineer
2 Purity GI
Unique Character - Human
Legendary
Cost: 3
Morale: 10
Stats: 4/8

While Lynx is deployed, all Genesis Industries characters and artifacts have their activation skill resource cost reduced by 1.

Aleta Tinkerer skill now costs 0.  Other characters like Phase Bot, Cottontail, etc. cost less to use their skills and are much more usable now.  Artifacts like Junkyard, etc are easier to use now. 

Free Tinkerer skill and 1 cost Overload Solder\Mechborn may or may not be OP.  Maybe change his effect to only work on artificials, idk.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 04:40:32 AM »
I will be judging this in the next day or so - so anyone with last minute entries get em in.

Online Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 08:41:09 PM »
La'brugh, the Maniacal
Some sort of Exiles purity.*
5 cost, 12 morale
Legendary (obviously)
Unique Character--Demon
4/12

At the end of your turn, if you have no cards left in your deck you gain 10 morale and your opponent loses 10 morale.**
Exhaust, pay 3, remove the top card of your deck from the game: Destroy target character on the battlefield.***

*Initially I wanted it to be Exiles OR Verore, a la Vasir, but then I decided that there ought to be a greater purity restriction than that. Perhaps Exiles And Verore, or double or triple Exiles. The idea is that CARDNAME is another archdemon from Torment like Vasir and Nysrugh (and presumably Tygrugh).
**This is an obvious homage to Lab Maniac in MtG, and the 10 morale gain is meant to counteract the loss you get when you run out of cards (so you'd be netting 0). Could also be rewritten as "if you have no cards left in your deck your opponent loses 10 morale instead of you," but I felt this would be easier to implement and understand.
***I felt that just having the alt win-con on him wouldn't be very fun or useful, but this way you'd want to run him in command since he's a deathray on a stick. While most repeatable activated abilities cost more than their once-off ability cards (Daode vs Daode's Protection, for instance), CARDNAME isn't garnering any card advantage because it costs you cards to use his ability. I chose to have him remove the card from the game rather than just put it into the graveyard because then you can't ditch a good card and just recycle it (woot for Exiles RNG adding risk). Perhaps I costed the ability too conservatively, but I try to err on the side of caution in these design challenges.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
Last minute entry. If you have already started/finished the roundup feel free to ignore this, Merlin.

Candit, Bloodlust Queen
3 CoV
Legendary
Unique Character - Human
Cost: 5
Morale: 13
7/7

When Candit, Bloodlust Queen is deployed, whenever an enemy character dies, a random Ability card, costing 3 or less resources, from the Cult of Verore is created in your hand.

Stats might need some tweaking, but this is my shot at giving 3cov another boost. I know 'random' might not be the best thing at top play, but the card poll is limited and may provide useful tools to the control player without being too obnoxious.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:52:39 PM by Symphony »

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 04:30:38 AM »
Alrighty contest is closed - I will judge tomorrow.

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 11:27:09 AM »
I will be judging this in the next day or so - so anyone with last minute entries get em in.

;)