Author Topic: Future mechanic ideas  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
Future mechanic ideas
« on: April 15, 2016, 01:03:55 PM »
Since we have a topic for future card ideas (which imo should be an entire subforum), I would also find future mechanics (such as Bloodthirst, Enrage or Vigilance) an interesting topic to talk about.

So here go ideas about possible new mechanics:

Selfdestruct 2 (Pelagoth)
Character explodes on death, dealing X damage to other characters in the same zone, where X is the number of Selfdestruct.

Overload 4 (taken from HS) (Pelagoth)
Character overloads, reducing your availible resources by X at the start of the next turn, where X is the amount of overload.

Challenge (Pelagoth)
The first time the character with challenge is moved to the battlefield, you may target a deployed enemy character. Targeted enemy character moves to the front of the same zone and becomes untouchable at the start of the turn (deployed character with challenge also moves to the front of the zone).

Life Bond (Pelagoth)
When deployed, you may choose to target another friendly character . Each time the character with Life Bond takes damage or is healed, the damage or heal is split between targeted friendly character and the character with Life Bond.

Leap 2 (Pelagoth)
Deployed character ignores X enemy characters while in the Assault Zone, where X is the amount of Leap.

Aggression X (Brueson)
While this character is in the assault zone, it gets +X/0 where X is the aggression number.

Paragon (Brueson)
Base power and health of this character is always equal to the highest values plus 1, based on all deployed characters that share the creature type of this character.

Meaning, if there are 5 Demons deployed with power and health like so; 1/6, 2/5, 3/4, 12/1, 7/7. Then the paragon's base power and health would be 13/8. This changes as demons come and go and if all other demons are out of play, the paragon would be a 1/1.

Masked (Hiding)
Instead of paying this card's resource cost you may instead pay 3 and put this card into play as a 7/7 character.

Unmask (Hiding)
A masked card returns to it's original form. Can be triggered by various effects or be an activated ability.

Unseen (Hiding)
This card cannot be seen by your opponents until it attacks, blocks, takes damage, dies, activates an ability, or is affected by an ability

Dodge X (RuggedKnot)
Deployed character ignores X enemy characters while in the Defense Zone, where X is the amount of Dodge.

Blink (RuggedKnot)
Character is removed from the game at the end of turn. The Character is then returned to play at the beginning of next turn.

Mimic (RuggedKnot)
When a Character with Mimic enters combat with another Character they gain any Abilities the character has until end of turn (IE: Flying, Flamestrike, Unstoppable)

Ethereal (RuggedKnot)
Preemptive: Can not attack or block until end of turn or permanent. (Best as Ability card)

Swiftness (RuggedKnot)
Characters always deal their damage first, should this kill the character they entered combat with they take no damage.

Improvement tip: "Make it like Shield 1. Except you just get Swiftness 1. That is how many times it can trigger per round. Problem solved for the majority of OP setups."

Resilience (Hiding)
The first time this character would die, it survives on 1 hp instead.

Sturdy (Hiding)
If this character is at full hp and it were to die, instead its remaining health becomes 1.

Sluggish (Hiding)
This character deals combat damage after its opponent during combat

Fragile (Hiding)
If this character takes damage, it dies

Airlocked (Hiding)
This character can only block flying characters

Venomous X (Hiding)
Characters dealt damage by this source gain an additional X poison

Lethal (Hiding)
Characters dealt damage by this source die at the end of the turn

Faceless X (Hiding)
you may have up to X copies of this card in your deck

Beacon (Hiding)
When you draw this card it is revealed to your opponent.

Guard X (NatoPotato)
This character takes X less damage from all sources.
(just the effect used by armored landcrawler, gao han champion and great wall of jinhai but given a name)

Weakness X (NatoPotato)
This character takes X more damage from all sources.
(basically the opposite of guard, useful for giving to enemy cards, or to your own for certain combos, and yes if a character with 0 attack enters combat with a card with weakness it will deal X damage)

Regeneration X (NatoPotato)
At the end of the turn this character is healed for X damage.
(just makes characters a little more resilient, though not nearly as good as guard, as guard reduces the damage before combat while this does it after, also this only happens once per turn)

Fury X (NatoPotato)
If this character takes damage it gets +X/+0 until the end of the turn.
(pseudo-consume which doesn't require enemy character death but only effects power and is undone at the end of the turn)

Bodyguard (ToxicShadow)
Every time an adjectant character takes damage, half of that damage is redirected to  this character.

Disturbing presence X (ToxicShadow)
Characters that enter combat with this character have -X/-0 attack until the end of turn.

Berserker X (ToxicShadow)
Once this characters health is equal or lower than half of his max health, he becomes locked to the assault zone and gains +X/+0

Astral Body (ToxicShadow)
Takes half combat damage, but double damage from abilities.

Impact X (ToxicShadow)
The first time this character enters combat, they gain +X/+0.

Burrow (RuggedKnot)
A creature with Burrow gains Untouchable and also can not be blocked by creatures with flying. (IE: Pay 2: Gains Burrow until end of turn. or Gains Burrow while in the Assault Zone)

Piercing (Hiding)
If this character attacks and kills a defending character, it does damage equal to its power minus the defending characters health to the opponents fortress.

Manifestation - An ability mechanic (Choose One) (ToxicShadow)
You may choose to pay the manifestation costs instead of the normal cost of this ability. Instead of gaining the ability effect, you get a character/artifact/location.

Frozen (NatoPotato)
A Frozen character cannot attack, be moved or use abilities, if the character would take damage or be affected by an ability the character becomes unfrozen and the ability or damage is avoided.

Opportunism 3 (ToxicShadow)
When an adjacent ally character deals combat damage to an enemy character, this character deals X damage damage to the same enemy character, where X is the number of Opportunism.

Frenzy (NatoPotato)
If this character takes damage when in combat with another character and that character survives, it enters combat with that character again.

Evade X (Hiding)
This character takes no combat damage and deals no combat damage during the first X combats each turn

Last Word X (Hiding)
After each combat, this character deals X combat damage to its opponent.

Absolute (Pelagoth)
This character can not be removed from the game.

Resurrect X (Inspired by Aleta) (NatoPotato)
If this Character is in the Graveyard for X consecutive turns, it is raised to the Support Zone at the end of the turn.

Strategist (Inspired by Kung-Ji) (NatoPotato)
If this character blocks an attacker, it moves to the back of the Defense Zone.

Tactical (NatoPotato)
If this character attacks and the opponent has multiple defenders, this character attacks the defender with the least power.

Thoughts, ideas and feedback are welcome.

Hope to see more creative mechanic ideas.

P.S. Please remind me if I forgot to compile any of your ideas in this list. Will update whenever I have time.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:44:10 AM by Pelagoth »

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
Re: Future mechanic ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »
I think this is an excellent addition to the future ideas for the game. I also agree that future cards could be a complete sub-forum. Though, having all the ideas in one thread might make it easier to read from start to finish instead of opening over 1000 threads to read them all.

Aggression X
While this character is in the assault zone, it gets +X/0 where X is the aggression number.

Paragon
Base power and health of this character is always equal to the highest values plus 1, based on all deployed characters that share the creature type of this character.

Meaning, if there are 5 Demons deployed with power and health like so; 1/6, 2/5, 3/4, 12/1, 7/7. Then the paragon's base power and health would be 13/8. This changes as demons come and go and if all other demons are out of play, the paragon would be a 1/1.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:33:55 PM by Brueson »

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »
Masked Instead of paying this card's resource cost you may instead pay 3 and put this card into play as a 7/7 character.
Unmask A masked card returns to it's original form. Can be triggered by various effects or be an activated ability.

Examples:

She who Weaves Unseen
1p wp
6 cost
6 morale
Character- Beast Spider

Reach, Masked

Pay 5, preemptive: Unmask

5/20
---

Mirage Adept
1p Verore
4 cost
5 morale
Character- Human

Masked

Pay 4, preemptive: Unmask, move target character your opponent controls to the assault zone.

When you deploy or Unmask Mirage Adept, put a 12/1 Mirage character in your Defense zone.
5/6
---

Ancient Murmurs
2p Dod
4 cost
Ability-Spirit

Masked

Pay 4, preemptive: Unmask

Move 2 target characters your opponent controls to the assault zone. They get -5/-0. If this was cast by Unmasking, target 3 characters instead

Unseen This card cannot be seen by your opponents until it attacks, blocks, takes damage, dies, activates an ability, or is affected by an ability
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:05:39 PM by Hiding »

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »
Unseen can get the puffy outta here! That will just cause problems.

You could have a card with the ability illusion (take the appearance and stats of target character in your deck). When the character enters combat it loses its illusion.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »
Unseen can get the puffy outta here! That will just cause problems.

You could have a card with the ability illusion (take the appearance and stats of target character in your deck). When the character enters combat it loses its illusion.

Illusion could work, but it would need to have the same cost as that card. Unless u wanna add more complex coding to disguise your used resources. It's partially why my Masked cards all have the same cost and stats when they are "morphed" to use mtg terms.

However now that I think about it, is there any actual reason to show how much resources an opponent used each turn? We rarely ever utilize this to make plays to my knowledge.

I would name it Disguise.... Now that i think about it more, even if the opponent knows u played a disguised card, once u start switching it around with your actual card or other disguised cards you cant really tell which is which anymore. Pretty interesting
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:49:04 PM by Hiding »

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:47:24 PM »
However now that I think about it, is there any actual reason to show how much resources an opponent used each turn? We rarely ever utilize this to make plays to my knowledge.

I use it every turn in every game I play for the past year and a half.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 11:52:42 PM »

Other than trade post is there any way to use resources without opponent knowing exactly what you've done?

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 12:08:05 AM »

Other than trade post is there any way to use resources without opponent knowing exactly what you've done?

No - but if you are trying to find tells (i.e. my opponent ends turn with 2 resources as Flame Dawn twice in a row and is attacking with everything he has I can infer he does not have any Paladins, Flame Dawn Hounds, Noble Protectors, or Fleeting Footmen in hand), then it is much more beneficial to be able to see the spent/unspent resources each turn with a simple indicator than trying to go through the graveyard every turn and do math.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
Yea you could use something with multiple abilities, like the Genesis guy who creates characters. If you created a character , gave it an ability and then killed it. Your opponent would not know what you've done.

That's the best I could come up with xD

Also forgot to say before, I really liked the suggestions on this page.

Offline Chappie

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »
Thank you for your awesome ideas. I'll make sure it'll be forwarded to our dev team.

Offline Ruggedknot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »
A few Mechanic Ideas...

Dodge: Character Ignores the first (Attacker/Defender) When they (Defend/Attack)

Blink: Character is removed from the game at the end of turn. The Character is then returned to play at the beginning of next turn.

Mimic: When a Character with Mimic enters combat with another Character they gain any Abilities the character has until end of turn (IE: Flying, Flamestrike, Unstoppable)

Ethereal: Preemptive: Can not attack or block until end of turn or permanent. (Best as Ability card)

Swiftness: Characters always deal their damage first, should this kill the character they entered combat with they take no damage.

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »
Blink: Character is removed from the game at the end of turn. The Character is then returned to play at the beginning of next turn.

Mimic: When a Character with Mimic enters combat with another Character they gain any Abilities the character has until end of turn (IE: Flying, Flamestrike, Unstoppable)

Swiftness: Characters always deal their damage first, should this kill the character they entered combat with they take no damage.
I like these 3 ideas a lot. Blink is very interesting... would make it a pseudo-untouchable Card that resets its stats everytime (if I got it right), so therefor work different than untouchable.

Swiftness is something that I feel could add a very new meta to aggro or control decks.

Mimic is very interesting but its hard to tell if it's bad or extremely overpowered. Further analysis would be needed.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »
I would be careful with the swiftness idea. I was entertaining basicly the same idea too for suggestions, but it seems pretty OP to me in defense. Basicly you could throw one high attack swiftness character into the defense zone and it could annihilate a complete assault without even taking damage. In assault, if it was coupled with unstoppable, it could beat an entire defense the same way.

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 07:34:16 PM »
Make it like Shield 1. Except you just get Swiftness 1. That is how many times it can trigger per round. Problem solved for the majority of OP setups.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:03:27 PM »
Good idea. That would do the trick.