Author Topic: [Card Design Challenge] - Inevitable Ends  (Read 4864 times)

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
[Card Design Challenge] - Inevitable Ends
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:19:52 AM »
Brueson's Design Challenge:

Design a card that reduces the health each round by 3 or more, but must also be beneficial to the card or target. For clarification, it has to reduce the health, not cause damage.

Preexisting Example:
Demonic Corruption
Target Character becomes a Demon. At the end of each turn, it gets +4/-2.

The card is not locked to a type. I think there is a lot unique room to experiment in the character type though.

The benefit doesn’t have to inversely scale like Demonic Corruption. The benefit doesn’t even have to scale or change at all.

Silly Example:

RikkiTikki will be providing prizes again this round of the card design challenge. Thanks RikkiTikki and Infinity Wars staff for making it possible!

1st: 1 Faction Pack + 2 Collection Packs
2nd: 2 Collection Packs
3rd: 1 Collection Pack

Winner also gets to set the next design challenge. Last challenge can be found here: http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=65901.0 started by Hiding.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:40:24 PM by Brueson »

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: [Card Design Challenge] - Inevitable Ends
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 04:12:31 AM »
Unstable Hydra
Notes on purity below
5 cost, 10 morale
Character--Demon Beast
At the end of each turn, Unstable Hydra gains +1/+1 for each point of damage it has taken that turn, then gets +5/-5
5/25

As Veroria fell into chaos and destruction, Aleta's forsaken Hydras emerged into the corruption of the wastes

For whatever reason, this contest reminded me of Verorian Hydra. Given the current goings-on in Reisch, I decided to come up with an updated version of the card reflecting the expanding corruption of the Demon Wastes. Initially I just had it mirror the original Hydra (being a 6 cost, 12 morale beast) but as I worked on it I decided to change up some of the numbers. I focused on the number 5, because it seemed reasonable. The Hydra will, barring outside buffs, last 5 turns (to reflect how unstable it is). It has 5 power. It costs 5 resources, and has 10 morale (2x5). Given this, it probably shouldn't be run in command unless you're running Hermit, Aleta, Daode or something. Alternatively, the numbers could be changed to 4 (which is associated with death in certain cultures), though in that case I would up the starting power. The story being told here is that as the "magical fallout/waste products/radiation/screw you, EPA" affects the Hydras they become more powerful but also easier to kill.

In terms of purity, I would ideally like for the card to be CoV OR Exiles, CoV OR Exiles (if that makes sense). That way, it could go in a 2 CoV, CoV/Exiles, or 2 Exiles deck. As is, I'm leaning towards either 1 CoV/1 Exiles or 2 CoV.

Originally, I just had the hydra lose 5 max health at the end instead of getting +5/-5, but I felt that this was more flavorful, as the corruption warping and destroying the hydra from within is still making it more powerful even if it isn't taking any damage. Otherwise a Hydra that got consistently avoided by the opponent (perhaps through stumble effects or by pulling back their characters) would eventually wither to being a 5/5. Which never feels any good and shouldn't be an easy option for counterplay.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:57:58 AM »
Sen-Ro, High Sage of Dragons
Cost: 5
Morale: 12
Type: Unique Character - Human
Stats: 0/40
Purity: 2p DoD

Flying, Untouchable

Heals 2 hp for every Dragon deployed. Unaffected by other buffing/healing sources.

At the start of every turn, choose one:
Pay 5 health, exhaust: Deployed Dragons gain +2/+0 at the end of the turn.
Pay 7 health, exhaust: Summon a Dragon Welp*
Pay 12 health, exhaust: target Dragon deals morale damage if it attacks the fortress this turn.
Pay 7, Sacrifice this character: Dragons you control gain Flying and Untouchable at the start of the turn.

Even amongst the wisest of sages, Sen-Ro is considered an inspiration of complete purity. It is said that he was blessed by the dragon god himself.

*Dragon Welp (side character)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:51:34 PM by Pelagoth »

Online NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:39:27 AM »
Inconvenient Protector
Character - Artificial
Purity: 2 GI
Cost: 4
Morale: 2
Stats: 0/20
Description: Untouchable, Cannot Attack or Block
When you play Inconvenient Protector target a deployed character, as long as Inconvenient Protector is in play the targeted character cannot use abilities and it cannot attack or be moved, if any abilities would affect the targeted character Inconvenient Protector takes the effect instead.
At the end of each turn Inconvenient Protector gets -0/-X where X is the targeted character's cost + 4.
Flavour text - "Let.  Me.  GO!"

Essentially you can protect your own units from damage and removal temporarily at the cost of not being able to buff them or use their abilities, or you can use it to mess with a powerful enemy unit and delay it attacking or using abilities, if the opponent has removal they can break out right away, but that's less removal to use on you.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:48:29 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:19:24 PM »
I have a question about the challenge: Is the card required to permanently reduce the health (like demonic corruption) or does self-damaging also qualify as health reduction?

Offline drewmb10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »
Scouring Serpent
Unique Demon Dragon
Purity: 1p DoD, 1p Exile
4/12

Consume 2, Vigilance

At the end of each turn, Scouring Serpent gains +4/-4.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:22:38 PM by drewmb10 »

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 02:26:22 PM »
I have a question about the challenge: Is the card required to permanently reduce the health (like demonic corruption) or does self-damaging also qualify as health reduction?

It should permanently reduce it. The goal was to limit its interaction with easy offsets such as matriarch and other healing effects. The 3 or more is also a goal to offset health buffs. Of course if the benefits are good enough, using spirit armor to make it live 1 or 2 more rounds could still be well worth it. Just need a net loss when running with just one health buff card. I'm looking at you, Daode, Sage of Strength.

Feel free to update your cards if you already did damage instead of reducing the health.

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
Sen-Ro, High Sage of Dragons
Type: Unique Character - Human
Stats: 0/40
Purity: 2p DoD

Flying, Untouchable

For every dragon deployed, this character heals for 2 each turn, but is unaffected by other healing/buffing sources.

At the start of every turn, choose one:

Pay 5 health, exhaust: Deployed Dragons gain +2/+0 at the end of the turn.

Pay 7 health, exhaust: Summon a Dragon Welp*

Pay 12 health, exhaust: target Dragon's damage turns into morale damage if it attacks the fortress this turn.

Pay 7, Sacrifice this character: All Dragons you control gain Flying and Untouchable at the start of the turn.

The Descendants of Dragons seek the very core of wisdom and knowledge. Even amongst the wisest of sages, Sen-Ro is considered an inspiration of complete purity. Dragon's respect the presence of Sen-Ro alone and gather around him, attracted by his pure spirit. It is said that he was blessed by the dragon god himself.

*Dragon Welp (side character)
Cost: 2
Morale: 3
Purity: Factionless
Stats: 2/5
Type: Unlimited Character - Dragon

Ascends at the end of the turn if it was on the battlefield.

While ascended, it gains Flying.

This is very wordy and doesn't fit the design anchor of reducing health by 3 or more each round. This health lose must happen each round. Though I do like the pay health to get effects idea.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:42:56 PM by Brueson »

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 03:28:56 PM »
In terms of purity, I would ideally like for the card to be CoV OR Exiles, CoV OR Exiles (if that makes sense). That way, it could go in a 2 CoV, CoV/Exiles, or 2 Exiles deck. As is, I'm leaning towards either 1 CoV/1 Exiles or 2 CoV.

It for sure sounds like a mixed purity card. Either CoV OR Exiles, or CoV AND Exiles would make sense over any single CoV purity options. I could see it being just Exiles though, but I like one of the mixed options more.

Online Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
Oh dang so I cant use a character that enters play immolated?

Proxy Devil
1p Exiles
5 cost
10 morale
Character- Demon

When you deploy Proxy Devil, choose a character. Whenever Proxy Devil's power or health changes, the chosen character's power and health become equal to Proxy Devil's power and health.

At the end of each turn, Proxy Devil gains -4/-4

If Proxy Devil leaves play, the chosen character dies.

12/12

"In one of the many world's I've been to there is a thing called a voodoo doll. I can't help but draw parallels between that artifact and this creature."
"It's like a mirror image... except the other way around"
---

Goes through untouchable btw. Wanna kill an annoying untouchable? Play this then reduce this thing's health to 0. Wanna buff ur own character with an awesome ability but bad stats? Buff this guy and get 2 for the price of 1!

Play a 4/4 flying engineer.
Move 4/4 to assault zone, play dis demon target engineer, then secluded constuctor the crap outta this demon making it a 23/21 [say you use a Genesis Construct].
4/4 is suddenly a 21/21.
OP much?
But then next turn both turn into 17/17.
Or someone MAGIC BOX this demon and your flier dies.
Sadness.

Reread and editted because I realized as it was previously, you made a character that couldnt take damage as long as Fiend was alive.

Allowed targetting of command. A 5 cost card that slowly kills a character is not that great (esp if u compare to kidnapper). You prob wouldnt be targetting ur own command as it would prob be much better to target an already deployed character.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:36:50 PM by Hiding »

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
kali, flame dawn apprentice
2p flame dawn
1 cost
5 morale
character, human
4/2
flamestrike 5

when kali apprentice deals combat damage to a character, she becomes immolated 5.
characters killed by kali (even herself) are removed from game.

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »
Rapidly Evolving Abomination
Purity: 2 Exiles
Morale: 9
Type: Character - Demon
Stats: 11/15

Gains -0/-4 at the end of every turn.

Has +4/+0 and unstoppable if it has 12 health or less.
Has flying if it has 8 health or less.
Has untouchable if it has 5 health or less.

"Life in the demon wastes is usually dominated by change and very short. For some even shorter than for others."

EDIT: Okay, here is the new entry. This time it should qualify for the challenge, right?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:20:30 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 04:43:42 PM »
2p flame dawn
1 cost
5 morale
character, human
4/2
flamestrike 5

when kali apprentice deals combat damage to a character, she becomes immolated 5.

Rak-K'tan, the Flesh Sculptor
Cost: 6
Type: Unique Character - Demon
Stats: 6/6

Consume 3

Pay 1, exhaust and choose one:

Target character you control gets +X/-X. X can be any number greater than 3.

Target character you control gains -3/-3 and flying.

Target character you control gains consume X and gets -0/-3X. Consume cannot become higher than consume 4.

"In the demon wastes, you can become whatever you want. The question is....what are you willing to give up in return?" - Rak-K'tan

Might be interesting to note that his abilities can kill your own characters if you choose to lower their health to zero.

These are missing pieces. They have to reduce the health each round without control over it. It must reduce the health, not cause damage.

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »
2p flame dawn
1 cost
5 morale
character, human
4/2
flamestrike 5

Rak-K'tan, the Flesh Sculptor
Cost: 6
Type: Unique Character - Demon
Stats: 6/6

Consume 3

Pay 1, exhaust and choose one:

Target character you control gets +X/-X. X can be any number greater than 3.

Target character you control gains -3/-3 and flying.

Target character you control gains consume X and gets -0/-3X. Consume cannot become higher than consume 4.

"In the demon wastes, you can become whatever you want. The question is....what are you willing to give up in return?" - Rak-K'tan

Might be interesting to note that his abilities can kill your own characters if you choose to lower their health to zero.

These are missing pieces. They have to reduce the health each round without control over it. It must reduce the health, not cause damage.

just reread it, my bad.
dont like exiles, cya next time  ;D

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Online Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
I feel these instructions are rather specific. I mean damage can be mitigated by heals sure but not if you make the damage really huge also note that there really is very little in the way of constant character heals in this game right now. Requiring 3 or more is also rather extreme.