Author Topic: Which decks are you tired of seeing in ranked/normal?  (Read 9330 times)

Offline TheRealTuna

• Prems 4 Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: Which decks are you tired of seeing in ranked/constructed?
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 11:46:37 PM »
Interesting how Pacifying Winds and the rest of the cards that made trouble for creature based decks were all nerfed into the puffyter. Back to our early tempo creature based stuff!

And even with Pacifying Winds, Liand was garbage. There is no way that anyone who actually enjoyed playing DoD would have ever said Liand was fine as he was before he was released.

I don't know anyone who enjoys playing DoD more then Rebellion. I don't recall what he said about Liand at the time, but the only thing he has ever played for the last two+ years has been 3p DoD and he got to weigh in on these cards same as anyone else on the council.

Then it is no wonder I barely ever see him on anymore, with the state 3p DoD is in

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 11:55:09 PM »
Idk what to tell you Tuna. I'm sorry you are feeling combative and blaming everyone for everything and making wild random claims about the game.

What you said about FD being competitive with all the tier one decks is true - but all the tier one decks are also all competitive with any Flame Dawn deck so I'm not sure what the problem is with that.

As for FD being too strong - yeah, maybe they are. Is it any one particular card? No, I don't think so - just a mass of redundant effects like charge and stumble that all amount to the same thing.

Is it Sakuya's fault? No. It is not. Is it my fault? No, it is not. Sorry but I didn't make the game. Neither did Sakuya or anyone else on the Council. We got to catch some bugs and give some balance feedback. Some of what we said was listened to. Most of it was not. You were not there, you do not know how Poga and the rest of Lightmare reacted to what we said, and you don't have any idea what we had influence on or did not.

Offline tomuchmayo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2016, 11:55:26 PM »
@mayo:

yeh hes not all that, just an auto include in every 2p FD deck in the game is all.

Sarcasm aside, I dont think Klore is by any means broken, I just think the message from the designers is brutally clear that FD needed a reliable 1 drop from command and they got klore, but DoD and Exiles cant even puffyin stand on their own legs and have a prayer of winning against any real deck.
diseased zombie is auto include but its not that amazing either. People just got on hype train. i can switch out klore an wouldn't even care. Majority of my wins been from rally/sacculus/ just out rushing etc. Klore is just a nice card to have an use if you have him.

Offline TheRealTuna

• Prems 4 Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 12:12:50 AM »
Idk what to tell you Tuna. I'm sorry you are feeling combative and blaming everyone for everything and making wild random claims about the game.

What you said about FD being competitive with all the tier one decks is true - but all the tier one decks are also all competitive with any Flame Dawn deck so I'm not sure what the problem is with that.

As for FD being too strong - yeah, maybe they are. Is it any one particular card? No, I don't think so - just a mass of redundant effects like charge and stumble that all amount to the same thing.

Is it Sakuya's fault? No. It is not. Is it my fault? No, it is not. Sorry but I didn't make the game. Neither did Sakuya or anyone else on the Council. We got to catch some bugs and give some balance feedback. Some of what we said was listened to. Most of it was not. You were not there, you do not know how Poga and the rest of Lightmare reacted to what we said, and you don't have any idea what we had influence on or did not.

While this might seem random to anyone else but me, these have been my feelings for most of my time with the game, and its extremely sad to see the same pattern repeated over and over, especially taking into considering my high hopes for the game.

This is an aggro based game, and there isn't room for creativity or anything that isn't aggro, despite original illusions of the game. And honestly, it's never going to change despite my various efforts, which means my time here is likely approaching its end. Only draft at this point is even remotely interesting.

Offline Crestmoor

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2016, 05:49:57 AM »
Let me weigh in briefly on this thread.  I haven't been with IW as long as many of the players contributing their feedback on the forums but as part of the dev team, I do have more perspective in some aspects than others.

The current state of constructed play (ranked and normal) are right now a little stacked towards fast decks, chief among them FD based decks but other metas that are able to ramp quickly and smoothly have a significant advantage.  will we be looking at rebalancing the metas in the near future?  You bet.   

From a personal time-division perspective, I've so far been spending a lot of my time focused on a few big areas of change that are very necessary to the long term health of the game.  Firstly lots of changes targeted at the new user experience, most of which no one outside of the dev teams has seen yet because there are lots of pieces that are being developed in parallel.

Second, I've been focused on one of the fundamental gameplay impacting issues which is desyncs.  You've started to see some of this with the new desync trap going onto the PBE and soon to be the live servers.  Already, the desync trap has helped us to identify and fix dozens of previously unreproducible desync card behaviors quickly and effectively.  Just 2 days ago, Mattcledford and I triggered the desync trap twice on PBE which allowed the dev team to immediately identify, reproduce and fix the 2 offending cards within hours.

Third, I've been spending a lot of time on draft mode as a player so that I could gain a better understanding of what needed to change with it and you're all just starting to see some of the improvements coming through with the new Rift Rewards, Cultivated draft, etc.

The next BIG thing for me will be moving my focus over to Ranked once the dust settles on big changes on the draft side.  There are many things that we want to overhaul with Ranked and constructed metas will be a significant part of this.  Other areas that we'll be looking at very deeply will include the ranked score algorithms, ranked seasons taxonomy and rewards, etc.

Just like with draft, I don't like to make significant changes to a system until I've personally played it to death and fully understand the nuances of what make it good and bad.  Expect to see me playing a lot more constructed and ranked matches in the near future as I plan to familiarise myself much more deeply with the game mode more intimately.  If I ever manage to climb high on the ranked leaderboards, you'll know that I'm ready to make some signficant changes. :)

As those of you who know me will know, you can expect that I'll be reaching out personally to many of you to get coaching and feedback on ranked play soon.
Crestmoor the Omnimind
-----------------------------
Draft deck with Omnimind, Lanstead and War Machine = A can of WhoopAss for all occasions

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
That's exactly what I wanted to hear :D

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »
Make sure you play bears. Lots and lots of bears.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »
Expect to see me playing a lot more constructed and ranked matches in the near future as I plan to familiarise myself much more deeply with the game mode more intimately.  If I ever manage to climb high on the ranked leaderboards, you'll know that I'm ready to make some signficant changes. :)

Here's some easy advice:

Normal Play - Play whatever you want, but make sure you never win too many games in a row. By doing this, you will keep your hidden MMR rating low, and only get matched against bad players. This allows you to go on the forums and say stupid stuff like "My Ju'lin deck beats FD/OOS all the time!", and pretend like you have a clue about how competitive players play.

Ranked Play - You will need a lot of high ranking players on your friends list in order to get a high ranking. This is not to get any advice from said players or even to become actual friends with them, you're doing this to see when they are online, so you can queue into Ranked when no one good is online and farm bad players for ranking points. Once you have achieved a sufficient ranked rating, refrain from playing anymore than necessary to beat ranked decay because of how screwed up gaining/losing points is at high ratings.

Using these two bits of advice, you will achieve many victories in Normal and Ranked Play without actually requiring any level of skill or competency at the game.

Offline InvertedEye

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2016, 08:13:03 AM »

I feel so sorry for you Council guys, must have been so frustrating to watch them make horrible design decisions and not being able to stop them.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »
Expect to see me playing a lot more constructed and ranked matches in the near future as I plan to familiarise myself much more deeply with the game mode more intimately.  If I ever manage to climb high on the ranked leaderboards, you'll know that I'm ready to make some signficant changes. :)

Here's some easy advice:

Normal Play - Play whatever you want, but make sure you never win too many games in a row. By doing this, you will keep your hidden MMR rating low, and only get matched against bad players. This allows you to go on the forums and say stupid stuff like "My Ju'lin deck beats FD/OOS all the time!", and pretend like you have a clue about how competitive players play.

Ranked Play - You will need a lot of high ranking players on your friends list in order to get a high ranking. This is not to get any advice from said players or even to become actual friends with them, you're doing this to see when they are online, so you can queue into Ranked when no one good is online and farm bad players for ranking points. Once you have achieved a sufficient ranked rating, refrain from playing anymore than necessary to beat ranked decay because of how screwed up gaining/losing points is at high ratings.

Using these two bits of advice, you will achieve many victories in Normal and Ranked Play without actually requiring any level of skill or competency at the game.

Haha, on point :P

Offline hibbidy_jibbidy0

• View Profile
Re: Which decks are you tired of seeing in ranked/normal?
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »
3 purity DOD, with invincible/flying avatars

Offline hibbidy_jibbidy0

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2016, 07:24:45 PM »

Here's some easy advice:

really? you should have to give consent to be on someones list, this needs to change

Offline Yxunomei

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2016, 04:56:15 AM »
... ranked score algorithms, ranked seasons taxonomy and rewards, etc.

Yes finally some love for ranked!

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »
Make sure you play bears. Lots and lots of bears.

The path to victory is paved with bears

...as decoys for even more bears
Goose got me loose!

Offline keyranaway

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »
really? you should have to give consent to be on someones list, this needs to change

When you add someone as a friend it will only tell you when they are online and give easy access to PM them adding someone will not affect them in any way.