Author Topic: [Card Design Challenge]- Two Sides to the same Coin [Challenge Over]  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Challenge has finished

Hiding's Design Challenge:

Create a card that switches between 2 different forms

Example:
Dire Chronoglass
1p verore or 1p DoD
3 cost
Artifact

Opening, Shield 1
You may only have 1 copy of this card in your deck.

At the end of the turn, Dire Chronoglass gains one counter then it Flips.
(E)

Make whatever you want otherwise: Werewolf, Walking building, Location that can be made and destroyed, Artifact that becomes sentient etc.

Things must be able to switch between the 2 forms. Other than this ,you can find any way you wish to switch between the forms.

There will be a Preliminary Judgement where entries are closed in which I evaluate each card and comment on them. In this time you can respond to my comments and change your card (you can change your card to whatever you want in this phase just new contestants can't enter). Preliminary Judgement will be a week from now.

Prize is an oppression or collection penta pack. 1st place chooses first. 2nd place gets the other pack.

Extra Hint: Ive noticed I tend to prefer "stronger cards". Of course if it is blatantly OP I'll notice
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:33:23 PM by Hiding »

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
Re: [Card Design Challenge]- Two Sides to the same Coin
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »
Errakas, Corrupted Soldier
FD/EX
Cost 4
Unique Character - Human
6/5
Multistrike 2
Pay 1, Sacrifice target Character you control: Errakas becomes a Demon and gets +2/+2, this can only be used once per turn.
If Errakas is a Demon he loses all other sub-types and changes into Errakas, Demonic Warrior.

Errakas, Demonic Warrior
FD/EX
Cost 4
Unique Character - Demon
Consume 2
Pay 1: Errakas becomes a Human and gets -2/-2, this can only be used once per turn.
Pay 1, Exhaust, Sacrifice target Character you control: Trigger Consume.
If Errakas is a Human he loses all other sub-types and changes into Errakas, Corrupted Soldier.

So basically demonic transformation that is controllable/reversible, would have different graphics for each mode obviously.
The sub-type condition allows you, or your opponent, to trigger the transformation indirectly using cards that manipulate sub-types.
You can chuck it into consume mode for a bit to build up stats then swap back to multistrike mode for some decent damage.
You can sacrifice units to him to boost stats without combat but of course he's not doing any damage to anything when you do that, plus you can't just do it every turn or he'll become an easy target for abilities which can hit the support zone.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:54:45 PM by NatoPotato »

Offline Goldschuss

• Death Ray, I don't like you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
Chroma, the Multi-Mecha.

2p Gi
Epic
5 cost
10/10

Shield 1
Chroma enters the game in Destruction Mode.
Pay 1: Chroma enters Aerial Mode, gaining Flying and losing Shield 1. This ability can only be used once per turn.

- Text while in Aerial Mode -
Pay 2: Chroma enters Destruction Mode, losing Flying and gaining Shield 1. When Chroma enters Destruction Mode, Deal 4 damage to target deployed character. This ability can only be used once per turn

My idea behind this character is an allrounder, that is prepared to handle almost any situation, while providing medium board control, if placed in command.

You can switch as you see fit, but don't do it mindlessly, as Chroma is much more vulnerable in Aerial Mode.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:03:49 AM by Goldschuss »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »
Word of Death
Purity: 1Oos or 1DoD
Cost:1
Type: Ability
Rarity: Epic

Both players take 10 fortress damage.

Word of Death stays in your hand and flips into Word of Life.

When you play Word of Death, you may pay 2 additional resources to flip this card in your hand without any additional effect.

Everything comes to an end eventually....

Word of Life
Purity: 1Oos or 1DoD
Cost:1
Type: Ability
Rarity: Epic

Both players fortresses are healed for 10 damage.

Word of Life stays in your hand and flips into Word of Death.

When you play Word of Life, you may pay 2 additional resources to flip this card in your hand without any additional effect.

...and from the end, there will be a new beginning.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »
Does it have to be able to be switched back and forth multiple times?

EDIT: oh duh, course it has to, otherwise every existing card with 'transform' would fit ::)

Errakas, Corrupted Warrior
FD/EX
Cost 3
Unique Character - Human
6/6
Pay 2, Sacrifice target Character you control: Errakas becomes a Demon.
Pay 1: Errakas becomes a Human.
If Errakas is a Human he has Multistrike 2, if he is a Demon he has +1/+1 and Consume 2.

So basically demonic transformation that is controllable and isn't a one-shot, would have different graphics for each mode obviously.
You can chuck it into consume mode for a bit to build up stats then swap to multistrike mode for some decent damage.

Yeah needs to switch back and forth

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
Errakas, Corrupted Warrior
FD/EX
Cost 3
Unique Character - Human
6/6
Pay 2, Sacrifice target Character you control: Errakas becomes a Demon.
Pay 1: Errakas becomes a Human.
If Errakas is a Human he has Multistrike 2, if he is a Demon he has +1/+1 and Consume 2.

What happens if he is both Human and Demon at the same time (achieved by using certain exile abilities)? Does he have both abilities then?

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
Quantum Anomaly
1 GI or 1 CoV
Cost: 3
Moral: 4
Character
0/4

Pure State
While in Pure State, attack cannot be greater than 0.

This character does not take damage. Instead it adds the damage it would have taken to its health. When this happens, move this character to the assault zone and switch it to Mixed State.

Mixed State
While in Mixed State, this character's attack is equal to its current health. If it damages a character or the fortress, it switches to Pure State.

"No one can tell if it was created by science or magic and controling it is problematic at best."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:40:38 PM by Brueson »

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:35:15 PM »
Malfunctioning Construct
1 GI or 1 SoA
4 cost
15 moral
character - artificial
shield 1
at the end of the turn if Malfunctioning Construct is alone in its zone and wasn't targeted by your abilities it shifts/flips/transforms into Destructive Malware
8/10

why doesn't this thing ever work!?!?!?!

Destructive Malware
5 moral
character - artificial undead
Infect, unstopable
whenever Destructive Malware becomes the target of an ability or ends the turn in the same zone as another character Destructive Malware shifts/flips/transform and give both forms +2/+2
10/8

It consumes all and spreads its virus

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »
Slightly infected
1 SoA
1 cost
1 morale
character - undead
4/4

If Slightly infected goes to the graveyard he becomes Heavily infected.

Heavily infected
5 cost
7 morale
character - undead
13/13
Infect

Pay 1: Raise target character from your graveyard, make him undead and give him Infect and Heavily infected becomes Slightly infected.

Updated post.

Just thought of what if Adaptive ritualist put Heavily infected to the hand. So I added cost to him.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:30:51 PM by Number11 »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »
I like how this card needs a possibility to be risen from the grave to work. Ties in pretty well with the SoA faction mechanics.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:09:38 PM by ToxicShadow »

Offline Conquest

• Out with the old,in with the new. Long live Solace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 12:00:56 AM »
Rizar, the Slightly Sane
1 Exiles or 1 DoD
Cost: 6
Morale: 4
Unique Demon Human
9/12

Exile: 5

If Rizar is played via Exile, he immediately flips to Razir, the Mind-breaker. If a friendly character takes damage, put a counter on Rizar. When Rizar has 3 counters, he flips to Razir, the Mind-Breaker and he moves to the support zone. When this card flips, both forms gain +1/+0. All stat alterations besides those from flipping are removed upon flipping.

"Captured as a child in the wastes after an unsuccessful raid on the Great Wall, the Descendants raised him to be a laughingstock; a slave; a scapegoat."

"...I can facade away the crazy, I can hide away the hate, I can clothe the marks of madness, but their perception of me will not change..."

Razir, the Mind-breaker
Morale: 15
Unique Demon Human
12/9

Pay 4; Exhaust: Opposing characters killed by a demon this turn lose an additional 3 morale.

While Razir is in play, all friendly characters gain a Demon subtype and Consume 1. If Rizar takes no damage on a turn, he flips to Rizar, the Slightly Sane. When this card flips, both forms gain +0/+1. All stat alterations besides those from flipping are removed upon flipping.

"...So why bother hiding it anymore?"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:11:50 AM by Conquest »
THE VIRUS RISES ONCE MORE!

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
Preliminary Judgement

Entries are now locked so anything posted after this I won't look at. There seems to be quite a bit of entries and a ton of them are pretty good (I guess my prompt was just that awesome) so I'm thinking maybe 3 winners all will get a booster pack. Simply because that's all I can afford at this time unless someone else steps up. I'll still rank them 1-3 though the prizes will all just be the same.

Here goes Analysis

Natopotato

Goldshuss

ToxicShadow

Brueson

Nephilim

Number11

Conquest

With that somewhat tedious analysis, entries are closed. Meaning no new people can join after this post. Those who are part of the list above may change your card as you so wish based on my comments or respond to my list of complaints and nitpicking to convince me your card is the best thing ever.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:55:37 AM by Hiding »

Offline Number11

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »
I was more of thinking of having Heavily infected only brings back from your own graveyard so I will fix the text. I think the card should be at two purity if it would steal cards from the opponent.

It can still bring back interesting cards with other factions mixed in. With two purity GI you can make use of reborn. You can bury cottontail and bring him back and try to steal cards by using his ability. You could bring back unstable bomb-bot, keeping the opponent worried about having everything on the battlefield stolen. You could bring back elder ape, skraar, hermit, yuanshi, aberion, battle tank, immortal sorceress or even champion of ruin. A lot of intresting combinations.

The card can also be useful in 3 purity SoA. You could bring back a sleeper of avarrack with infect or endless horde. It is not as good with 3 purity as you can just use kyrallic, origin of the virus. However you can also use it with factionless like shikana. Will shikana kill all characters on the battlefield to steal them or just attack. There are many fun combinations you can make with this card.

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
Quantum Anomaly
1 GI or 1 CoV
Character
0/4

Pure State

This character does not take damage. Instead it adds the damage it would have taken to its health. When this happens, move this character to the assault zone and switch it to Mixed State.

Mixed State
While in Mixed State, this character's attack is equal to its current health. If it damages a character or the fortress, it switches to Pure State.
---
This card caught my attention because of the fact that it can attack and block in the same turn. Very interesting in that regard. I assume in mixed state, it CAN take damage? Either way pretty powerful.
4.5/5

Yes it can take damage while in Mixed State. This card is super hard to tie down though. Susceptible to any control card that moves it and interesting to mess with interactions with Fight!. It could potentially go through all three zones in a single turn. Start in support, take dmg through abilities moving to assault, then dmg a character/fortress, and end up in the defense zone. Thus dodging a lot of things like mass death, called shot, etc.

But then the enemy has just as much ability to cause it to shift to their advantage. Using Fight! while it is a pure state, using a 0/X creature to make it stay a 4/4 in assault and be an easy kill. Also can use Fight! to get him out of the assault zone so he can't get a big swing on your fortress, even if the path is clear. Use Word of Command to move to assault while being a 0/X doing no damage to the defenders while also moving him from defense.

I just like the possibilities that this card has in terms of thinking way ahead on both sides of the board. One tweak I might make is to lower its starting stats from 0/4 to as low as 0/1. Cause any dmg it takes just makes it stronger. Just stumbled into a thought of Guard and any other dmg ability. It could Guard a Fight! target of yours and save that character while also growing huge.

The possibilities are very vast. I'm sure I could come up with a lot more abilities interactions and each one could be easily countered by the enemy using their own to screw up the ordering. Could even benefit from being in the same zone as Shirazius the Cruel.

Offline Brueson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
I am updating my entry to the below. After exploring the combinations and how out of control it could get. I like the idea if you play it wrong, you end up with a 1/1 in the assault zone, squish!

Quantum Anomaly
1 GI or 1 CoV
Character
0/1

Pure State

This character does not take damage while in Pure State. Instead it adds the damage it would have taken to its health. When this happens, move this character to the assault zone and switch it to Mixed State.

Mixed State

"No one can tell if it was created by science or magic and controling it is problematic at best."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:24:55 PM by Brueson »