Hi everyone! I’m writing to provide much-needed updates regarding two major aspects in the IW competitive space: The general schedule for tournaments, and the prizes awarded within them. I’ve spoken with Rikki at length about this and I have very good news overall. The details are tentative and may change somewhat depending on player reactions and how IW staff feels as things move forward. Tournament schedule:
Over the past week I have taken the time to reflect on all events I created so far, the reception by players for each event, attendance, prizes, and so on. It’s a lot to weigh together. I noticed that I failed to really push my concept of a monthly format with a bit of rotation included, so I went ahead and set-up a monthly rolling schedule, pending player and IW staff review.
It will start out covering what I call Zone 1
(Americas) and Zone 2
(Euro/Africa). Until other zones can sustain regular events - such as Russia, Asia and Australia - there will be one-off events in these timezones (they are not yet listed on the calendar). Zone 0
is World time (it groups 2-3 zones together, differing combinations).
So without further Wall of the
Text, here's my current proposal for steady, yet rotational full
content for IW. Yes, Monthly Pauper Top 16 will return, but I will make a separate thread about Pauper tourneys in general - will explain soon. Yes, I can take care of this schedule for now - over time we'll get more helping hands and the community will manage this as an intrepid team. Remember: Schedules can always change later as well; whatever I decide now is not necessarily in stone forever.
Note: This is an example! Although, I would love to do even more with this, including team vs team and top-rank events when possible.
There is also the subject of prize awards. To be fair, most of my prizes have barely been fair, or even underwhelming. Until I offload this system to the community at large - if you want to run some of these, contact me - I simply don’t have the time to farm IP for boosters/card gifts. Donations are great, but even generous ones can get complex as there are time delays, and what if those 1-2 people disappear for awhile?
IW Staff is ready to offer increased prize rewards of substantial backing, in several ways. Before I actually say what that is, here are some of the objectives I have in common with IW staff:
- Incentive for participating, and “sharing” IW fun (streaming)
- Make prizes more accessible/appealing to players of different skill levels.
- Make sure event length is manageable, not too long for players.
With that in mind, this is a list of what is possible right now:
- Infinite-Border card rewards in almost all events, and LP rewards rebalanced.
- Weekday Eliminations: example spread with 16 players: 12th-9th get 50 LP, 8th-5th get 100 LP, 4th-2nd get 150 LP, 1st place gets 250 LP and 1 random Infinite-Border card from Command Zone (Final battle)
- Weekend Eliminations: same as above, but with these changes: 4th-2nd get 1 Infinite-Border commander card at random & 150 LP, 1st place gets 250 LP and all 3 commanders are cloned into Infinite-Border cards.
- Swiss may have a similar reward system, but I project no IB cards or at max 1, tentative LP spread: 1st place 250 LP, 2nd 100 LP, 3rd 4th and 5th 50 LP
- Friday Specials: Prizes are made up of some donations received but never a guarantee - these events are typically fun-oriented but still exciting!
- 50 LP to anyone who streams the entire event. Brief disconnects forgiven! Prefer Twitch, but any platform is fine so long as we can view the live stream/VOD online.
- 50 LP to anyone who uploads their full run of tournament matches on Youtube. If you're willing and well-versed, please include tourney name and date in the video title.
What do you guys think of this prize spread?
There are a few questions and notes we need to communicate, regarding event types and duration.
- Swiss is a bit lengthy with 5 rounds best of 3: Will 4 rounds be enough to keep scores from frequently causing ties, even if 25-30 players competed?
- 16-player Best-of-3 double elimination runs 5+ hours usually. If we run the format, we need to reduce the time of the event. Would you prefer to make Loser bracket Bo1, reduce to 8 players, or change to 16 player single elim bo3?
- Keeping in mind we will do what we can for now, would you prefer to see the schedule be more rotational, or more static? Also, any other format types you'd like to see? Team battles and top-ranked events are on my mind, but anything else please bring it up.
These changes could take place as early as next week.
I've discussed all this at length with the IW staff team. Overall, we want to make tournaments more accessible to a wide audience. That said, there will be plenty of higher-tier competition in-between. Hopefully you found my large number of words useful and relevant. I eagerly await all replies, particularly constructive criticism or other thoughtful feedback.