Author Topic: Proposed Tourney schedule options, and large increase in prizes. [Major topic]  (Read 7151 times)

Offline DrewUniverse

• View Profile

Hi everyone! I’m writing to provide much-needed updates regarding two major aspects in the IW competitive space: The general schedule for tournaments, and the prizes awarded within them. I’ve spoken with Rikki at length about this and I have very good news overall. The details are tentative and may change somewhat depending on player reactions and how IW staff feels as things move forward.

Tournament schedule: Over the past week I have taken the time to reflect on all events I created so far, the reception by players for each event, attendance, prizes, and so on. It’s a lot to weigh together. I noticed that I failed to really push my concept of a monthly format with a bit of rotation included, so I went ahead and set-up a monthly rolling schedule, pending player and IW staff review.

It will start out covering what I call Zone 1 (Americas) and Zone 2 (Euro/Africa). Until other zones can sustain regular events - such as Russia, Asia and Australia - there will be one-off events in these timezones (they are not yet listed on the calendar). Zone 0 is World time (it groups 2-3 zones together, differing combinations).

So without further Wall of the Dead Text, here's my current proposal for steady, yet rotational full content for IW.  Yes, Monthly Pauper Top 16 will return, but I will make a separate thread about Pauper tourneys in general - will explain soon. Yes, I can take care of this schedule for now - over time we'll get more helping hands and the community will manage this as an intrepid team. Remember: Schedules can always change later as well; whatever I decide now is not necessarily in stone forever.

Note: This is an example! Although, I would love to do even more with this, including team vs team and top-rank events when possible.

There is also the subject of prize awards. To be fair, most of my prizes have barely been fair, or even underwhelming. Until I offload this system to the community at large - if you want to run some of these, contact me - I simply don’t have the time to farm IP for boosters/card gifts. Donations are great, but even generous ones can get complex as there are time delays, and what if those 1-2 people disappear for awhile?

IW Staff is ready to offer increased prize rewards of substantial backing, in several ways. Before I actually say what that is, here are some of the objectives I have in common with IW staff:

• Incentive for participating, and “sharing” IW fun (streaming)
  • Make prizes more accessible/appealing to players of different skill levels.
  • Make sure event length is manageable, not too long for players.

With that in mind, this is a list of what is possible right now:

• Infinite-Border card rewards in almost all events, and LP rewards rebalanced.
  • Weekday Eliminations: example spread with 16 players: 12th-9th get 50 LP, 8th-5th get 100 LP, 4th-2nd get 150 LP, 1st place gets 250 LP and 1 random Infinite-Border card from Command Zone (Final battle)
  • Weekend Eliminations: same as above, but with these changes: 4th-2nd get 1 Infinite-Border commander card at random & 150 LP, 1st place gets 250 LP and all 3 commanders are cloned into Infinite-Border cards.
  • Swiss may have a similar reward system, but I project no IB cards or at max 1, tentative LP spread: 1st place 250 LP, 2nd 100 LP, 3rd 4th and 5th 50 LP
  • Friday Specials: Prizes are made up of some donations received but never a guarantee - these events are typically fun-oriented but still exciting!
  • 50 LP to anyone who streams the entire event. Brief disconnects forgiven! Prefer Twitch, but any platform is fine so long as we can view the live stream/VOD online.
  • 50 LP to anyone who uploads their full run of tournament matches on Youtube. If you're willing and well-versed, please include tourney name and date in the video title.

What do you guys think of this prize spread?

There are a few questions and notes we need to communicate, regarding event types and duration.

• Swiss is a bit lengthy with 5 rounds best of 3: Will 4 rounds be enough to keep scores from frequently causing ties, even if 25-30 players competed?
  • 16-player Best-of-3 double elimination runs 5+ hours usually. If we run the format, we need to reduce the time of the event. Would you prefer to make Loser bracket Bo1, reduce to 8 players, or change to 16 player single elim bo3?
  • Keeping in mind we will do what we can for now, would you prefer to see the schedule be more rotational, or more static? Also, any other format types you'd like to see? Team battles and top-ranked events are on my mind, but anything else please bring it up.

These changes could take place as early as next week.

I've discussed all this at length with the IW staff team. Overall, we want to make tournaments more accessible to a wide audience. That said, there will be plenty of higher-tier competition in-between. Hopefully you found my large number of words useful and relevant. I eagerly await all replies, particularly constructive criticism or other thoughtful feedback.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:38:33 AM by DrewUniverse »

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
Everything looks pretty cool, i'm looking forward for the team matches, what about some special Titles and Avatars? is that something the IW staff might consider?
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline Crestmoor

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
Everything looks pretty cool, i'm looking forward for the team matches, what about some special Titles and Avatars? is that something the IW staff might consider?

let me just chime in on this one.  we have one programmer dedicated to upgrading our "admin tools" right now so that our CM's will be able to reward stuff to players like card packs, avatars, titles, IB cards, etc to players without having to go to the programmers each time to grant these rewards, hence taking them away from other development tasks.

Once the admin tool upgrade is done, Rikki will be much more flexible and generous in terms of the rewards that he can give to Drew.  Right now, it's mainly a bottleneck issue as each time we need to give out a prize, it requires programmer intervention.
Crestmoor the Omnimind
-----------------------------
Draft deck with Omnimind, Lanstead and War Machine = A can of WhoopAss for all occasions

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile

let me just chime in on this one.  we have one programmer dedicated to upgrading our "admin tools" right now so that our CM's will be able to reward stuff to players like card packs, avatars, titles, IB cards, etc to players without having to go to the programmers each time to grant these rewards, hence taking them away from other development tasks.

Once the admin tool upgrade is done, Rikki will be much more flexible and generous in terms of the rewards that he can give to Drew.  Right now, it's mainly a bottleneck issue as each time we need to give out a prize, it requires programmer intervention.

I see, no rush in that case and +1  ;D
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
Just make sure no one steals this tool :) And make sure to add logging who awarded what and when cause if it somehow leaks you will have a mess with illegal stuff in the system

Offline Klassick

• View Profile

Excelent news!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:13:34 PM by Klassick »

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile

Excelent news!

*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline Miennai

• View Profile
Looks pretty awesome, all around! As far as wanting to reach a wider audience, is there any chance of an "amateur hour" kind of thing?  That is, with people like ES, MerliniX, and Adorabear participating, tourneys are incredibly intimidating and an event intended for those ranked below ______ would give the little guys a chance to experience a tournament without the risk of being turned into a mosaic on their first round. Now, granted, one of the purposes of the tournaments is to give beginners and intermediates something to strive for which is why I would suggest having any rewards of an amateur hour tournament be noticeably smaller than that of a fully open tournament. But I would love to see such a format show up occasionally, should the demand for it be great enough.

Offline InvertedEye

• View Profile
Looks pretty awesome, all around! As far as wanting to reach a wider audience, is there any chance of an "amateur hour" kind of thing?  That is, with people like ES, MerliniX, and Adorabear participating, tourneys are incredibly intimidating and an event intended for those ranked below ______ would give the little guys a chance to experience a tournament without the risk of being turned into a mosaic on their first round. Now, granted, one of the purposes of the tournaments is to give beginners and intermediates something to strive for which is why I would suggest having any rewards of an amateur hour tournament be noticeably smaller than that of a fully open tournament. But I would love to see such a format show up occasionally, should the demand for it be great enough.

How would you decide who are the amateurs and who are the strong players that can't enter?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:22:27 PM by InvertedEye »

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
50LP for streaming the entire event seems underwhelming. I will still stream my matches because I always do for events, but you can't even do a single Rift Run with 50 LP, not sure what good that will do.

Also the exact timeslots for these events will stay the same? Because I will not be able to attend any of them during the weekday if you shift them to earlier times.

Offline Miennai

• View Profile

How would you decide who are the amateurs and who are the strong players that can't enter?

I would suggest going by rank, constructed primarily. This would be the best way to go since skill is a hard thing to quantify. Now granted, it's not perfect since so many people stick primarily to normal play, but since the tournaments run primarily on a bo3 format, anyone who intends to do well would want to practice on ranked. So the introduction of amateur tournaments may convince more people to play ranked, and therefore developed a score for themselves. As far as exactly where to cut cutoff (that is, saying "this tournament is open to players ranked ______ and below") that depends on how many people play the game right now, which is something I don't know. On top of that, the demand for an amateur tournament may not be seen until the player base increases, the tournaments become solidly regular,  and more people want to participate. But since these tournaments are such a magnificent thing, I would love to see provisions made for all to get involved.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:31:55 PM by Miennai »

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Super excited for team events too :D Those will be an absolute blast!

I also want to say that I have spoken to several players participating in these tournies and I think I can speak for most players when I say that picking the Infinite Border card at random from the command zone is pretty pointless and is honestly kind of annoying. Why should someone who just won a competitive event through skill get a random reward? It's not like the value of the card matters because the cards are soulbound. It's like having a team with the superbowl and telling them "And your prize is going to either be the superbowl ring, the game ball, or this extra shiny quarter we used to decide who goes first!" Obviously players are going to want the superbowl ring, and anyone who wins the shiny quarter is probably gonna be a little bit annoyed, especially because either way the prize is just a symbol of their winning, not cash or anything like that. I honestly can't see a single good reason to have RNG decide the winner's prize, it just adds annoyance. Even if players get the card they want all they will feel is relief that they didn't get screwed over, not excitement that they got the card they wanted lol. This is also even more punishing to the newer players and underdogs who defy the odds to win a single tournament and are super excited only to not be allowed to choose their prize... It also could make tournaments feel almost like a chore for more skilled players because they will want to "farm tournaments" to get the prize they want.

Out of everything this is literally the only thing I have a problem with, everything else looks awesome and you are doing an awesome job drew! Keep up the fantastic work and I'm so happy the team is backing you up with the rewards because of how difficult it can be to provide prizes for all these tournies.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

I would suggest going by rank, constructed primarily. This would be the best way to go since skill is a hard thing to quantify.

I like tournaments because I get to play a lot of good players in a short space of time.

The exact opposite is why I hate ranked. I would hate to see them linked together.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile

I would suggest going by rank, constructed primarily. This would be the best way to go since skill is a hard thing to quantify.

I like tournaments because I get to play a lot of good players in a short space of time.

The exact opposite is why I hate ranked. I would hate to see them linked together.

Someone telling me I can't participate in an event because I'm 'too good' seems a little.... to me. If it's an event I don't care about or can't attend anyway then I don't really care, but if it was for something I liked the prizes for, why should I be excluded simply because I have put more effort into learning the game than others have?

Just seems a bit backwards to me.

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
Yup, Backwards.

I say anyone who isn't Ranked in the top 50 should not be allowed to participate in tournaments.  ;D

Then we would no longer need qualifier matches. Also people would have even more incentive to play Ranked. :o
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:18:20 PM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.