Author Topic: [Weekly Post #3] Rift Run Rewards and Penta Packs  (Read 37901 times)

Offline electro13

• You've been bamboozled!
    • View Profile
Re: [Weekly Post #3] Rift Run Rewards and Penta Packs
« Reply #330 on: March 08, 2016, 12:28:01 AM »
I opened 99 WP pentas on test a moment ago and pulled 9 aleta traveler. That's almost 1 per 10 packs, and most of those were my 1 guaranteed rare or higher card.

That being said I also pulled 3 primals and some other things, and was able to build a full 3wp deck meta viable from it (also pulled a martyr, 2 calams, 3 hermit, and an evellee for real, relevant cards)

Offline RikkiTikki

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2016, 02:47:01 AM »
Oh Lightmare/Yodo1 you lazy bums. I know why you guys included Factionless in the Faction Penta Packs. It was the most simple way to include Duo Purity Cards into the Packs without having to re-label all Duo Purity Cards. Either that or you had to manually incorporate every Duo Purity Card into a specific pack which is too much work (you also might forget to do such a thing in future sets).

Your initial coding probably labels all Duo Purity cards as Factionless, which is why we were unable to get any Duo Purity cards before.  ;)

Actually, the absence of dual/hybrid purity cards in the previous Penta Packs was simply an oversight by us and had nothing to do with the proposal to include factionless cards.

max should be 3
3 means the possibility of packs with more factionless than the faction they bought the pack for...

Yea thats so bad lol, especially because they are like triple the price of regular packs and LP only. I wouldnt want to see a single factionless card in the pack let alone 3 ew

Why do I keep seeing players say that the Faction Penta Packs will be triple the price of Collection Packs >.<

Just a reminder that we readjusted the price from 450 LP to 300 LP a week ago! :)

• Introducing, Penta Packs! Each Penta Pack will consist of 5 cards with each containing at least a guaranteed rare+ card. We have revised the price for faction Penta Packs to be set at 300 LP.

Thanks to everyone who's been sharing their thoughts and feedback with us! I'd like to emphasize Crestmoor's point that this change is NOT final. We wanted to test out an idea we had for introducing factionless cards in more accessible fashion and we're all ears to any well-thought-out proposals. :D

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 08, 2016, 03:41:15 AM »
Still more expensive, twice as expensive even. I would be disgusted at getting a single factionless card in a faction pack even if they were the SAME price which they are not. Factionless cards do not belong to the flame dawn and shouldnt be in their packs
Goose got me loose!

Online NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2016, 05:55:06 AM »
What if instead of adding dual/hybrid cards to faction packs they are bundled together with factionless cards in their own pack?

A sort of 'everything else' pack, which can have factionless, hybrid and dual cards.

It would give the 'factionless pack' a larger card pool and would prevent you getting the same hybrid card multiple times opening different faction packs. (I get it probably doesn't make them exactly twice as likely to drop, but having an overlap does somewhat increase the chance right?)

Though even then its probably still not enough cards. :-\
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:14:37 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline RikkiTikki

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2016, 08:21:28 AM »
Hey everyone,

After extensively discussing the matter internally, personally talking to a few players, and looking through the feedback here, we have decided to revert the proposal to include factionless cards in the Faction Penta Packs (the increased epic/legendary drop rates will remain implemented and Faction Penta Packs will still be able to drop dual/hybrid cards). This revision is now active on the PBE and we encourage everyone to check it out again and share your thoughts!

One of the original reasons for including factionless cards in Faction Packs in the first place was to allow a number of highly useful cards more accessible. While we considered creating a factionless Penta Pack, we believed that the card pool for such a pack was too small and would result in many unwanted duplicate card drops. Additionally, we were noticing a relatively high proportion of duplicates being drawn in the pure Faction Penta Packs - the inclusion of factionless cards was meant to alleviate this issue while providing players the chance to draw some highly desired factionless cards.

In the end, we've decided to excluded factionless cards from Faction Penta Packs for a number of reasons, many of which were pointed out. The justification for assigning a higher price (and making it exclusively purchasable through LP) is that players will be able to target a specific pool of desired cards. Players would occasionally receive a highly desirable/rare factionless card (such as Calamity, Martyr Golem, etc.); however, after deliberating over it, we've come to the conclusion that it does not outweigh the positive experience of players being able to draw cards from the faction they want and getting what they more or less expect from a pack.

As Crestmoor mentioned, a pure factionless pack is most likely not something we will pursue in the immediate future. We will definitely look into better solutions again down the road, but for now we've decided to simply restrict factionless cards to the Collection and Oppression Penta Packs. This matter notwithstanding, we think the Penta Packs are in a very good state now! :)

Let us know what you think and what other suggestions you'd like us to consider!

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »
Aleta, Immortal Traveler is one of the Conspiracy Cards BTW.  ;)
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 08, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »
Aleta, Immortal Traveler is one of the Conspiracy Cards BTW.  ;)

Is it rly a conspiracy? For me its a proven fact!

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »
Let us know what you think and what other suggestions you'd like us to consider!

Never been on the PBE, but Electro said he pulled 8 legendaries in 99 packs earlier in this thread. That's like 1/12 Legendary Chance. For a booster that costs almost half the old boosters. And those boosters have like a 1/20-1/25 legendary chance.

So... you've basically quadrupled the legendary drop rate per IP spent. My concern is... can you even make money selling packs if it's going to be so much easier to grind IP and F2P the game?

Offline Trevinburgh

• View Profile
    • IWgamewiki
« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
In the end, we've decided to excluded factionless cards from Faction Penta Packs for a number of reasons, many of which were pointed out. The justification for assigning a higher price (and making it exclusively purchasable through LP) is that players will be able to target a specific pool of desired cards. Players would occasionally receive a highly desirable/rare factionless card (such as Calamity, Martyr Golem, etc.); however, after deliberating over it, we've come to the conclusion that it does not outweigh the positive experience of players being able to draw cards from the faction they want and getting what they more or less expect from a pack.

Good decision, thank you for listening.

As Crestmoor mentioned, a pure factionless pack is most likely not something we will pursue in the immediate future. We will definitely look into better solutions again down the road, but for now we've decided to simply restrict factionless cards to the Collection and Oppression Penta Packs. This matter notwithstanding, we think the Penta Packs are in a very good state now! :)

If you need to make Factionless cards more readily available, how about making the Collection Penta pack give one guaranteed Factionless plus four totally random?

Another option might to be make one of the daily rewards a 'Rare or better Factionless'.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2016, 10:09:07 AM »
Since the factionless packs do cost more perhaps you could consider tagging a bonus factionless card onto them. So a faction penta comes with 5 faction cards and a 6th factionless card.
Goose got me loose!

Offline Trevinburgh

• View Profile
    • IWgamewiki
« Reply #340 on: March 08, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
Additionally, we were noticing a relatively high proportion of duplicates being drawn in the pure Faction Penta Packs

[windup]
That's easy to fix - just increase the card pool by releasing an expansion set  every month.
[/windup]

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »

Never been on the PBE, but Electro said he pulled 8 legendaries in 99 packs earlier in this thread. That's like 1/12 Legendary Chance. For a booster that costs almost half the old boosters. And those boosters have like a 1/20-1/25 legendary chance.

So... you've basically quadrupled the legendary drop rate per IP spent. My concern is... can you even make money selling packs if it's going to be so much easier to grind IP and F2P the game?
Reth brings a very good point here and it's something I mentioned on the post where I linked my factionless stats. It's great and all that the rates are now higher, but make sure they're economically viable for LM/Yodo. Opening 100 preorder packs and getting 1 legendary SUCKS, but getting 6~8 might just bee a bit too much. It would likely mean that there's no trading required after you opened the preorders, only if you're looking for platfoils.

Again, the rates are fantastic, but please be very careful about what you're going to implement in the real servers, as this might simply break the economy beyond repair (and your profits)

Offline Munchkin9

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
My card draw game is pretty weak so I wont comment too much on the details on that part. I am curious about the changes to Rift Run. Okay the rewards have gone up, and the cost has gone up (x1.5!) but should we expect improvements to match making in the near future? Right now my problem, for example, is not what rewards I'm getting, it is that I seem to always be matched against seasoned players and decks with double-digit wins (I'm aware this might be related to the size of the player base on RRs). The result is that my 0 win deck stays a 0 win deck and I lose very quickly. So I would never touch any sort of elevated reward. And with a now elevated entrance cost I don't see myself really ever doing Rift Run. Which makes me really sad, since it is my favorite mode (even if my highest wins ever is 3).

I understand a lot of this is probably just a reflection of my personal skill, but I feel like other new players will run into this same issue and that will only lower the player base for RR even further.

If, however, I was matched against other low-win decks (and ideally low-skill players) then I might have a chance to get my feet under me and touch a couple nicer rewards.

Just the opinion of a newer player. Keep up the good work on the changes!

Offline IguanaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »

Other games like Duelyst and Spellweaver are generous to F2P players, they are still doing fine.  The people who pay $ are the people who want it NOW and don't like to grind at all.  I think IW has been pretty grindy in the past and am happy to see this change.

Opening 100 packs for free is easy on the PBE, you have to remember in total that costs $125.  8 Legendaries isn't even close to a full playset esp when most of them are garbage and many need 2-3 copies.  Seems fine to me, certainly not on the overly generous side.
"Seriously if we don't bug hunt they might end up a new faction!" - Junker99

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
Additionally, we were noticing a relatively high proportion of duplicates being drawn in the pure Faction Penta Packs

[windup]
That's easy to fix - just increase the card pool by releasing an expansion set  every month.
[/windup]

I wouldn't exactly call that "easy"--introducing sets with any sort of frequency will cause a lot of problems.
You think the game is buggy? New code being constantly introduced for new cards won't fix that, and it'll just prevent the devs from actually fixing the bugs while they constantly iterate on new cards.
Maybe you think balance is off in the game at the moment--there sure have been times in the past where that's true. How do you expect the devs to create and balance and test and iterate and get the art for an entirely new set in just one month? MTG doesn't even do it that fast!

Now I'm just going to assume that you're using hyperbole here, because actually releasing a new set every month would be absolutely unreasonable. Would more sets increase the card pool? Sure. But I think LM and Yodo1 are more interested in getting the house in order before they build a new addition. I'm certainly not going to just build a new room for my house if the roof is leaking or the foundation is faulty.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream