Author Topic: [Weekly Post #12] Contribute to the Wiki!  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
Re: [Weekly Post #12] Contribute to the Wiki!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
Quote from: Klassick

And the forum really need the like button too.

No, no it doesn't. It had Upvotes and Downvotes long, long ago. I removed them due to a similar level of toxicity displayed on Reddit. You gain the ire of a few groups of users and your posts will never see the light of day regardless of how constructive they might be.

Express agreement and positivity through actions and replies, not a button.

I understand but... I am just too lazy sometimes to wirte a "+1"  :P

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
Where do I put guides? In "Getting Started"? Also is there like an order we should keep if they go there? I see that they are numbered in parts, so I don't know if part 9 could be just whatever.

Or maybe just continue without nummerizing them?

I'd like to possibly add following guides, if I find the time:
- Board Positioning
- Initiative & Play Order
- Sideboarding
- Drafting in General (possibly an existing one)
- Draft Tier List

Also regarding the tier list: could there be a new section for these kinds eventually? The currently "in development" trade value list coming from coco and dogeee and my existing "work in progress" draft tier list. That'd make navigation for these easier + adding new ones such as a ranked mode tier list later on.

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
    • Message Cleanse on Infinity Wars Wiki
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 07:26:05 AM »
Where do I put guides? In "Getting Started"? Also is there like an order we should keep if they go there? I see that they are numbered in parts, so I don't know if part 9 could be just whatever.

- Board Positioning
- Sideboarding
- Draft Tier List

Also regarding the tier list: could there be a new section for these kinds eventually? The currently "in development" trade value list coming from coco and dogeee and my existing "work in progress" draft tier list. That'd make navigation for these easier + adding new ones such as a ranked mode tier list later on.

The numbered guides are aimed as part of a "Getting Started" tutorial series for new players.

http://infinity-wars.wikia.com/wiki/Guides is the place to add more general guides such as the one you propose. There's a link to it in the top navigation under "Wikia Content".

On that page, you'll see I already made some sub-headers such as "Strategy" and "Trading". Feel free to add further sub-headers (e.g. "Rift Run Strategy" or "Ranked Strategy"). The idea is to post links on that page to guides both on the Wiki and off the Wiki under the headings.

It's easy to move pages and re-order links on Wikia. If you focus on writing the guides I can sort out the organisation with the community's input.

Just please try to avoid duplicating pages - merges can be done but are a bit more annoying.

Offline Tinkercide

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 07:46:11 AM »
Quote from: Klassick

And the forum really need the like button too.

No, no it doesn't. It had Upvotes and Downvotes long, long ago. I removed them due to a similar level of toxicity displayed on Reddit. You gain the ire of a few groups of users and your posts will never see the light of day regardless of how constructive they might be.

Express agreement and positivity through actions and replies, not a button.

Well, that could be essentially avoided by adding a "Thanks" button only.
Instead of letting users impact posts in a negative fashion, they would be left with the choice of either giving a positive remark, or simply ignore it altogether. The option to write a negative response would still be there, but it would not really affect the post's image in a way it shouldn't.

I remember there being a lot of addons for SMF that could fulfill that role as well.

On a more on-topĂ­c note, great work so far!
I'm definitely glad to see so many people who know a great deal of lore-related stuff that I had no idea about, it feels I'm learning a lot about this game in the process.
Keep it up, everyone!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:47:44 AM by Tinkercide »

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »

- Board Positioning
- Sideboarding
- Draft Tier List

The numbered guides are aimed as part of a "Getting Started" tutorial series for new players.

http://infinity-wars.wikia.com/wiki/Guides is the place to add more general guides such as the one you propose. There's a link to it in the top navigation under "Wikia Content".

On that page, you'll see I already made some sub-headers such as "Strategy" and "Trading". Feel free to add further sub-headers (e.g. "Rift Run Strategy" or "Ranked Strategy"). The idea is to post links on that page to guides both on the Wiki and off the Wiki under the headings.

It's easy to move pages and re-order links on Wikia. If you focus on writing the guides I can sort out the organisation with the community's input.

Just please try to avoid duplicating pages - merges can be done but are a bit more annoying.
Well I do think it deserves its own category. Guides tend to be very long and quite specific. I'm not sure that navigating through a page for guides is the best. Anyhow I'd be thankful if you made that page more accessible. I couldn't find it at all and I sure as hell hope new players don't experience that same problem.

I also apparently really suck at editing on Wikia as I tried some stuff and only ended up making an empty page and had no clue wtf is going on. That said, I am usually quite decent at editing templates and layouts of certain websites, so I don't understand why I have such a hard time with Wikia.

I will use your premade guides template for now and add stuff eventually. Also, since I really suck at making pages linked to links, I would require help for now on creating the actual links under the subheaders. Once a page for that certain guide is created, I could take it from there with writing and editing that page. :/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:29:53 AM by Pelagoth »

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »
Well I do think it deserves its own category. Guides tend to be very long and quite specific. I'm not sure that navigating through a page for guides is the best. Anyhow I'd be thankful if you made that page more accessible. I couldn't find it at all and I sure as hell hope new players don't experience that same problem.

I also apparently really suck at editing on Wikia as I tried some stuff and only ended up making an empty page and had no clue wtf is going on. That said, I am usually quite decent at editing templates and layouts of certain websites, so I don't understand why I have such a hard time with Wikia.

I will use your premade guides template for now and add stuff eventually. Also, since I really suck at making pages linked to links, I would require help for now on creating the actual links under the subheaders. Once a page for that certain guide is created, I could take it from there with writing and editing that page. :/

Basically, there's two different meanings of "Guide" here - you've got the tutorial/game mechanic articles (which are factual) and the "strategy guide"/"trading guide" articles (which contain opinions). I understood you as wanting to make the latter, but if you're covering basic stuff then yes this shouldn't be in the section currently called "Guides". We really need to give them different names for categorisation purposes. If anyone has any suggestions on how to conceptually break up the existing material while accommodating future content, please let me know. :)

In terms of navigation, I plan to redo the entire front page to make things more accessible, but that is dependent on conceptual divisions like the above.

Offline Pelagoth

• Sock Puppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »

Basically, there's two different meanings of "Guide" here - you've got the tutorial/game mechanic articles (which are factual) and the "strategy guide"/"trading guide" articles (which contain opinions). I understood you as wanting to make the latter, but if you're covering basic stuff then yes this shouldn't be in the section currently called "Guides". We really need to give them different names for categorisation purposes. If anyone has any suggestions on how to conceptually break up the existing material while accommodating future content, please let me know. :)

In terms of navigation, I plan to redo the entire front page to make things more accessible, but that is dependent on conceptual divisions like the above.
I like that idea. Maybe Combine everything (getting started section and opinionated guides) into the "Guides" section and from there on break them up into sub-categories.

Example:
If I click on "Guides" I will be brought to a new page which shows me following categories:
  • Getting Started - Basic Tutorials
  • Advanced Mechanics (Positioning, Sideboarding, etc...)
  • In-Depth Guides (meta decks, how to draft, how to Combo, etc...)
  • Tier Lists (Draft, Ranked, Trade, etc..)

Category names are just meant for example purpose.

With that sort of navigation, as a new Player, I would know where to start and where to continue (still being part of the guides section), once I got the basics down.

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 11:39:51 AM »
After thinking about it more, I've decided to go with Pelagoth's suggestion. Now all guides are on the one page (http://infinity-wars.wikia.com/wiki/Guides) under various headings. If the page becomes too unwieldy in the future we can consider breaking it up into various sub-pages.

I've also updated the main page slider to feature (along with the contest) the Card Library, Guides & Lore pages. If anyone is feeling artistic, you can upload better images to represent these features. Per wikia, "For best results, use images that are exactly 670 x 360px." Just upload the images and I can implement it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:03:35 PM by Cleanse »

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
A friendly reminder that this competition ends in only a few days, so if you want to make any last edits, you should do so soon. There have been some absolutely fantastic additions so far. :)

Also, I have redone the Main Page. Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Offline Tinkercide

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 06:41:33 PM »
A friendly reminder that this competition ends in only a few days, so if you want to make any last edits, you should do so soon. There have been some absolutely fantastic additions so far. :)

Also, I have redone the Main Page. Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

10/10.

Looks much cleaner and clearer, specially the card library section.  :)

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »

Tks for the reminder, I would swear that the this competition would end at 22 may....  :o

I will not be able to finish everything I wanted but, will go for the guides at least.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2016, 08:33:06 PM »
I just completed my new and improved and updated ultimate good Rift Run guide I am a noob at using the wiki editor so if someone could put it up on the wiki for me that would be great :) atm the guide is in the guide section.

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=66129.0
Goose got me loose!

Offline Cleanse

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2016, 08:59:22 AM »
I just completed my new and improved and updated ultimate good Rift Run guide I am a noob at using the wiki editor so if someone could put it up on the wiki for me that would be great :) atm the guide is in the guide section.

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=66129.0

Thanks Adorabear, I have put a link to your guide on the Wiki.  :)

Also, judging has commenced! I have sent my list of proposed winners to Drew for his input.

Offline DrewUniverse

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »
Hey folks! A quick update that the contest is indeed closed and the winner/runners-up will be announced shortly. I will be bundling the results into our weekly post, which should be released before the end of the week.