Author Topic: Best way to collect Commons and Uncommons?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Drarz

• View Profile
Best way to collect Commons and Uncommons?
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
TL;DR  What is the best way to round up all the commons and uncommons?

Ive been in and out of this game a few times now, collecting more cards and building new decks as I go. I started with DoD then built a Flame Dawn and now I'm looking at experimenting with single purity additions and entirely new factions. However, I'm finding that my common and uncommon collection is poor in most faction (only one Higher Calling? bah!) and since I can't grind faction boosters anymore I was wondering what people's advice is for rounding out the lower tier cards.

Do I just buy a stack of boosters and hope for the best with a splash of epic+ cards and then try to find someone to trade with?
Or do I find someone willing to sell me the common and uncommon collection x3?

Thanks in advance for the advice guys!

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to collect Commons and Uncommons?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:34:36 PM »
You could try drafting with a faction you need those cards for, then buy a deck.

Offline Drarz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:22:45 AM »
That would work once or twice. I'd have to draft the commanders I need (which will get harder and harder as I fill out the factions) and I'd have to take cards that I want but don't fit the draft deck (which will make even faster than I already do).

Offline Heaven-Canceler

• Travelling worlds out of fascination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
Best way to get commons is probably to just Play the game, collect some Boosters, get daily rewards, go around asking People if they have any leftover commons and uncommons that they don't Need. A lot of Players are very generous to newbies and these with small collections.

Other accounts of mine can be found on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

Offline DoigteurFou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:40:12 PM »
I think removing the preconstructed decks for buying and putting less commons and uncommons into the packs to be bought make it hard for new players to get into the game. A friend of mine who started recently, and is up to lvl16 now doeesn't have enough cards to make a deck with sleepers or exiles, even though he has decent rares/epics in these faction that would totally justify building a deck. But lacking adaptive ritualists, spontaneous combustions, mind splinter, demonic mercenary, infected devil, demonize, splat (over the previous cards he only has 4 copies in grand total). How is he supposed to use that agent coyle superior symbiote he got twice in lvlup rewards? I looked with him it's totally impossible to make something that would do well even against the premade bots. I won't talk about sleepers in which the only thing he has is one last sleeper and one evolving parasite and one tome of the dead.
I do remember when I was starting, and while i didn't have the uncommons I needed in much numbers, I had all the commons once or twice, and allways could fill a deck with other commons that would work "okay" in what I was trying to do in the deck. He CAN'T do that. I spent a lot of time with him trying to help him build something decent using some good rares+ he luckily got, and couldn't do anything in the factions he didn't get a first deck from the campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I like where the game is going. But I think decreasing the number of commons/uncommons in the boosters + removing the preconstructed decks for sale is too much. Because let's face it, most players you will encounter in game will not accept to go for a trade just for commons or uncommons. I helped my friend by giving him these commons he desperately needed, but what it means is that a new player will not be able to really enjoy the game and feel a bit free if he doesn't know someone who will give him these "base" cards.

I think the way new players can get to a functionnal collection over the first hours of the game (i'm talking about 30 hours of playing) should be improved, better thought off. I think there is definitely a problem.

If the game would have been like that when I started I would clearly not have kept playing until now.

Edit: on the contrary, now I have a decent collection the game is much more enjoyable for me than it was before these changes. As if the changes were made for old players and not for new ones, which is nonsense in a emerging game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:58:49 PM by DoigteurFou »

Offline Feranis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:01 PM »
New player here (hello, how is everyone, wonderful weather today). I'm three days into playing, one day into the forums, and created a login just to reply to this:

I think removing the preconstructed decks for buying and putting less commons and uncommons into the packs to be bought make it hard for new players to get into the game...

I'm pretty sure I agree with this. I've only been playing bots so far because all I've got is some premade decks and a handful of cards to swap into them. I'm not familiar enough with the card pool to draft and I've played enough Magic to expect pain taking what I have into constructed. At the rate I'm going, I ought to be able to buy a booster tomorrow, and finally have... I forget now, about half a dozen cards to trade?

This game seems fun, and the userbase looks friendly, but I have the strong impression that as things are designed the free entry portion of it is roughly demo mode, and in order to truly play you need to either pay real cash (and get possibly the makings of a desired deck but mostly trade fodder), or beg the other players for assistance (embarrassing, and not ideal for anyone involved, including the owners of the game).

I like it, I want to keep playing (even though as of my last login I'm barred from playing those rocking Splitters for some undocumented reason), and I'll probably push on through some combination of the above solutions, but there's definitely room for adjustment in how the game welcomes new players. Why did I have to search up an obscure forum post to figure out why I didn't have a completion medal for the campaign? Okay, I'm just rambling now, time to head to work.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:15:13 PM by Feranis »

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »
There is currently a bug with Splitter Bot - which is why it is disabled atm. A fix is expected in the next patch, likely early next week.

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »
Hi folks!

First, I would like to say welcome to new players and second, I am glad you guys are enjoying and willing to keep on playing!

Now, about what is being debated here, you guys have to consider that soon will have a relaunch, the campaign is being restructured and for sure, new free decks (or not very expansive, I guess)  must be about to come...

I believe its worth to wait a little before spent points or money on the game at this moment. I would say it is not even a good time to trade cards too.

See ya!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:04:15 AM by Klassick »

Offline Feranis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:34:11 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys! Where should I be looking to learn more about the current game status and this relaunch business? Most topics I've read which seemed relevant were also very dated. For that matter I browsed and searched for anything related to Splitter Bot when I noticed the change earlier, and came up with nothing. Knowing life, this sort of news is available by clicking on a huge obvious button, but I'm blind at times and would be obliged if someone were to point it out to me.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 03:51:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys! Where should I be looking to learn more about the current game status and this relaunch business? Most topics I've read which seemed relevant were also very dated. For that matter I browsed and searched for anything related to Splitter Bot when I noticed the change earlier, and came up with nothing. Knowing life, this sort of news is available by clicking on a huge obvious button, but I'm blind at times and would be obliged if someone were to point it out to me.

I don't know if there is anywhere on the forums that has currently disabled cards - I sort of suspect not. If you join the Infinity Wars Discord channel though you can get more in real time news. Members of the dev team hang out there along with most of the veteran players.

Offline Crestmoor

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 07:04:57 AM »

I don't know if there is anywhere on the forums that has currently disabled cards - I sort of suspect not. If you join the Infinity Wars Discord channel though you can get more in real time news. Members of the dev team hang out there along with most of the veteran players.

I believe disabled cards are listed in the in-game chat box Message of The Day.
Crestmoor the Omnimind
-----------------------------
Draft deck with Omnimind, Lanstead and War Machine = A can of WhoopAss for all occasions

Offline DoigteurFou

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
Hi Feranis,
If you feel any interest in the game right now, I advice you to keep on track with it, the deeper you get in and the more interesting it becomes (I have some experience in TCG and I never felt there was that much depth in decision making and in-game strategy). Deckbuilding experience also is both refreshing from other TCG, and quite deep thanks to the unique command zone system.

I just hope they won't take too much time to bring back the new campaign or other things for new players. In my opinion they shouldn't have removed the preconstructed decks until the new stuff comes online, but that's just me, and I also don't know what they ar about to come up with so maybe it's better done this way as well. I also want to thank Klassick for his fast feedback to our comments.

Have a good day everyone.

Offline Feranis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »
Thanks for the additional advice, I'm setting up Discord now, and peeking at the in-game chat. Sounds like I joined a good game at a challenging transition point, but I'll likely stick around.

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 12:04:26 AM »
If you can afford not to rush buying boosters now, you can save up all your IP for the next set's preorders. Preorder sales give Platinum cards, worth roughly twice that of normal cards, meaning that when you trade them away for normal cards you get twice the value.

Other than that, the daily rewards, level up rewards and premade decks will be enough to sustain you when you're just starting. I started playing when the game was less noob-friendly in terms of giving cards, and still managed to play with quite a decent collection, so I'm sure this will be even better.