Author Topic: Best Time to run Tournaments/Player Availability  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
Best Time to run Tournaments/Player Availability
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
Hey.

I'm looking into running another tournament soon, and possibly weekly tournaments following that one if all goes well, with the aim of giving competitive players something to... well, compete in. My problem is i'm not entirely sure what time is best for the majority of interested parties.

Timezones confuse me, so it would be great if we could restrict all availability times to IWT (identical to GMT). You can find IWT by opening your Infinity Wars client and looking in the top right side of the screen.

Currently, i'm looking at a Start time of about 9PM IWT and a Finish time around than 1 AM IWT, so about 4 hours for a tournament (possibly shorter depending on changes). I can only go later than 1AM IWT on my days off, which would be Sunday/Monday normally (Mon/Tues in Australia).

Or for the timezone impaired:
4PM EST - 8 PM EST
9PM GMT - 1AM GMT
8AM AEST - 12PM AEST

If you're at all interested in joining a competitive style tournament, but are worried you might not be able to make it on X day, or unless I run it earlier/later, post and let me know. Otherwise i'll move ahead with my best guess on when people will be available.

I don't have any details worked out for the tournament format or prizes just yet, but i'll leave a link to my previously run tournament for reference (i've made some editing choices while playing with forum toys, so some parts have been changed since it first went live, and the times and stuff are wrong).

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=64654.0

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:15:56 AM by RikkiTikki »

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
Re: Best Time to run Tournaments/Player Availability
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:06:24 PM »
1) You forgot UTC which all sane european players use
2) At least for me, it's too late, 4hrs will take it to 4 am which I am not comfortable with unless it's Friday or Saturday

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
1) You forgot UTC which all sane european players use
2) At least for me, it's too late, 4hrs will take it to 4 am which I am not comfortable with unless it's Friday or Saturday

I didnt forget UTC, I have no idea what UTC is, or what strange and magical people might live in that timezone. I put the only ones I knew for sure, GMT which is when British people drink tea, EST in which some Americans eat oversized burgers, and the other Americans eat burgers a few hours apart, and AEST, where we say G'day Mate and ride around in Kangaroo Pouches.

I am not very culturally educated you see.

Earlier is possible, as is doing it on Friday/Sat, as is trying to shorten it (My last tournament was Single Elim 16 man, took around 2.5 hours). Depends when other people are available and what not.

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
sounds cool, count me in  8)
are u getting some LM support for pricing yet?

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
sounds cool, count me in  8)
are u getting some LM support for pricing yet?

I've spoken to RikkiTikki, he's offered support, but we haven't worked out the details, and I don't want to promise anything I can't offer.

Offline Drarz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »
2.5 hours is pretty quick! As a Canadian, I'll be drinking maple syrup and eating poutine in the EST. As a grown adult with a family I have far too many demands on my time until 00:00 GMT and then I have 4-5 hours of me-time before I need sleep.

Offline ES [BoD]

• Administrator
  • Flame Dawn Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
Sounds great  :P
Hail Aberion! Hail the Dawn!

Offline largenuggets [BoD]

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
Sounds great! Definitely looking forward to these to compliment drew's tourneys :)

2.5 hours is pretty quick! As a Canadian, I'll be drinking maple syrup and eating poutine in the EST. As a grown adult with a family I have far too many demands on my time until 00:00 GMT and then I have 4-5 hours of me-time before I need sleep.
Canadians literally have the best steriotype of any country.... You guys are just like "Ohhh how dare you say that we are all nice, have amazing maple syrup, and get free college and healthcare?! That's so racist!" xD

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 03:59:44 AM »
I am around anytime Saturday or Sunday - but due to work I likely will not be able to make weekday events unless they line up perfectly with my schedule (which seems unlikely as my schedule sucks and would likely be prohibitive for almost everyone else).

Offline watchmedie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »
my schedule sucks and would likely be prohibitive for almost everyone else
It is always puffytail time somewhere in the world...
which reminds me to take a sip  :P

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 06:43:47 AM »
I am around anytime Saturday or Sunday - but due to work I likely will not be able to make weekday events unless they line up perfectly with my schedule (which seems unlikely as my schedule sucks and would likely be prohibitive for almost everyone else).

None cares about your wizard problems (saving the world and all that) Merlin because everyone knows that:

(No Merlin = *Insert your name here* has a chance to win the tournament now)
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »
Sounds great! Definitely looking forward to these to compliment drew's tourneys :)

Canadians literally have the best steriotype of any country.... You guys are just like "Ohhh how dare you say that we are all nice, have amazing maple syrup, and get free college and healthcare?! That's so racist!" xD

They also say eh, and like hockey.  ;D
Where there's a will, there's a way.