Author Topic: [Patch Notes] Version 1.4.11  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
Re: [Patch Notes] Version 1.4.11
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 05:46:56 AM »
I would love to test for bugs, but the only pbe version is on steam. :/
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 06:06:36 AM »
If these are bugs that only occured in the live enviroment... well... program better next time? Block your programmers from accessing Reddit and Youtube until bug counts are down? Flogging them when they fail? Offering Mountain Dew and Doritos when they do good? Pat them on the head when they do good?

Most of those techniques work on my dogs and my nephew when I need to retrain them. I think it should work on programmers too.

Seems legit
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Crestmoor

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 06:25:35 AM »
I'm curious, were these bugs live on the PBE, or were these bugs that only occured in the live enviroment (or a mix of both)?

these were on the PBE servers as well.  we need a better process for flushing these out so that they don't make it past PBE and onto Live.  Gonna work on that with the team next week so stay tuned.
Crestmoor the Omnimind
-----------------------------
Draft deck with Omnimind, Lanstead and War Machine = A can of WhoopAss for all occasions

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
It strikes me that there are certain cards, like Evolving Parasite and Fleeting Footman, that often have unintended and buggy interactions with new coding. We should come up with a list of cards that have such complex interactions for PBE'ers to run through during testing.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 09:23:58 AM »
My general rule of thumb for testing is to look at the changes, and test everything you can think of that could interact with that change in some way, not just seeing if the change itself works as intended or seeing if the bug the change is trying to fix is fixed, basically look at what stats or events the card interacts with and look at what else also interacts with some of those things.

So for example, when they said they were changing martyr golems I started testing them out with cards that modify or prevent damage (like zunshen and noble protector), other cards that redirect damage (like cassial and guard), and cards that avoid combat damage (like fleeting footman and hinekri), from that I found a few bugs which were later fixed.

Anyways, it could be interesting for the PBE to have it's own set of quests, which you could use to incentivize people to test certain cards, would also be a good way to test out giving infinity border stuff to people as rewards.
Maybe stuff like complete X games with CARDNAME as a commander.  Reward: Infinity Border ticket/Infinity Bordered CARDNAME. (just on the PBE server account of course)

People wanna see those pretty blue borders, just say "ok, but you have to bug test first".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:44:26 AM by NatoPotato »

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »
I think that mostly relying on PBE to test stuff is a flawed idea. PBE should be a place for players to get a feel for general experience for new changes, not the platform for them to do bug catching.

I mean, if they catch stuff, sure it's great, but I wouldn't rely on players too much when there are maybe a dozen or so actually using test server and none of these are really too incentivized to go break things to extreme.

Personally, I'd make a record of a hundred or so games and check each time that each turn and each outcome doesn't change with the new patch. I am not a pro tester but this does look like the 'go to' idea I'd employ. If a hundred is not enough go for more or better recorded matches, but tje general idea should help.

It should also be of note that cards bugged in this patch are also one of the more utilized cards in actual matches. Storm and footman for example are both widely used and have a range of potentially buggy interactions. So having a couple of interesting games recorded for these alone wouldn't hurt.

P.S. I have to emphasize something here: oppression was actively designed and tested by the council and it was _still_ broken as puffy when it came out. That's how flawed the idea of relying on test servers is.

P.P.S. If the patch is considerably more buggy than the previous version : roll it back
The current swathe of players that are still in the game is a unique case of ppl that are ready to tolerate testing version of patches for the devs to fix things faster, but when a game is in such a bugged state it actively discourages any new players to take interest. And I think I will just stop playing entirely until the issues that came up are addressed. They are too numerous and too important interactions, that I don't want to guess what works and what not in each game.

Back when we were engaged we spent collectively between 40 and 80 hours each week breaking the crap out of things on the test serve

I think I already mentioned it, bit it is a work for dedicated testers, not volunteers. Healthy game development process should not push this responsibility to ppl that aren't even paid.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:41:21 AM by zekses »

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »
P.S. I have to emphasize something here: oppression was actively designed and tested by the council and it was _still_ broken as puffy when it came out. That's how flawed the idea of relying on test servers is.

To be fair - the vast majority of these bugs we found during testing - they just didn't get fixed properly for w/e reason.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
I know that at least the swarmer from command issues were present in the Test servers, and I reported them, but they still made it through to live, I think one thing that would help would be to extend the test period, I only managed to get the swarmer stuff tested really myself.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 03:54:27 AM »

•Infinite Border! You’ve known Gold, you’ve known Platinum, now we’re introducing a new type of border that can be around your cards: the Infinite border! The Infinite border is a pleasantly blue colored border that can only be gotten through competitive means, such as placing high on the draft or ranked leaderboards. All Infinite border cards are also soulbound, meaning if you see somebody with a sweet blue bordered card, you know they earned it the hard way.

◦The avatars of the winners of the Avatar Contest are now available in the client to eligible accounts.

◦During draft games it should now properly display your opponent’s purities.

These things just didn't happen at all
Goose got me loose!

Offline KingMickey

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2016, 03:44:57 PM »
Me seeing 3 Blister Packs in daily rewards is intended or not?