Author Topic: ANIME DISCUSSION!!  (Read 4358 times)

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
Re: ANIME DISCUSSION!!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 01:56:41 AM »
well that's one way of looking at it i guess. I never thought of it like that. mostly i just assumed the creators didn't give a crap about their fans and wanted to annoy their loyale watchers. o3o
i used to think that fillers were used for the anime not to catch up with the manga. now that the manga is over and there are still that much fillers i dont know what to think anymore.
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 05:56:06 AM »
well that's one way of looking at it i guess. I never thought of it like that. mostly i just assumed the creators didn't give a crap about their fans and wanted to annoy their loyale watchers. o3o
i used to think that fillers were used for the anime not to catch up with the manga. now that the manga is over and there are still that much fillers i dont know what to think anymore.

Right? what's worse is when they do random specials or delays of the episode. specials that no one gives a damn about. >.< at least, not when they're in the middle of a major plot point but then say "hey we're taking a break now enjoy this random episode." i bet without all the filler episodes naruto would be maybe 250 episodes tops.
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline Heaven-Canceler

• Travelling worlds out of fascination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »

Naruto is same as Bleach, a cash cow Franchise that is being used to squish every single Yen out of the People that is possible. To me personally, I haven't found it all that interesting since after the wave arc, post-Timeskip was basically just boring to me. I only kept reading it out of morbid curiosity of what crazy bullpuffy the author pulls out next.

I mean, there are animes where the filler arcs are used for that. One Piece comes to mind as we can easily see how there is a filler every time they get too close to the current chapters.

Other accounts of mine can be found on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »

Naruto is same as Bleach, a cash cow Franchise that is being used to squish every single Yen out of the People that is possible. To me personally, I haven't found it all that interesting since after the wave arc, post-Timeskip was basically just boring to me. I only kept reading it out of morbid curiosity of what crazy bullpuffy the author pulls out next.

I mean, there are animes where the filler arcs are used for that. One Piece comes to mind as we can easily see how there is a filler every time they get too close to the current chapters.

I never got into One Piece, but you're right about the anime's being a cash cow. A friend of mine lives in Japan and he says anime in 2-4 episode sets are sold at 50 usd! I would like to support the anime, especially in Japan since that's where the sales matter, but not at 50 dollars a pop!

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 10:21:14 AM »
My Neighbour Seki, or Tonari no Seki-kun, is a funny anime about a boy who takes every opportunity to play in class and not pay attention, and a girl who gets distracted by his games and serves as the narrator (the boy isn't mute, but just isn't shown talking). The opening sequence summarises the premise of the show pretty well.

There's a lot of content left out of the anime, so it's worth taking a look at the manga. Similarly for Nichijou, and a little more of Sayonara, Zetsubo Sensei.

Spoiler:

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
My Neighbour Seki, or Tonari no Seki-kun, is a funny anime about a boy who takes every opportunity to play in class and not pay attention, and a girl who gets distracted by his games and serves as the narrator (the boy isn't mute, but just isn't shown talking). The opening sequence summarises the premise of the show pretty well.

Watched the link along with a couple other vids, it's looks very funny lol

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 01:37:49 AM »
small bump

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 02:35:22 AM »
Anime movies I recommend:

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind is about a post-apocalyptic future which is pretty different from the modern takes on it we see today. Though it was made by Miyazaki, it was made before Studio Ghibli was founded, but it was the work which led to Miyazaki founding the studio in the first place, as well as the founding of some other animation studios by others due to good reception of the animation medium, which says a lot about how good it is.

Grave of the Fireflies is about the life of a brother and a sister in Japan during World War II. Tear-jerker.

Paprika is about... actually I'm not too sure what it's about. It's not the best anime film but I still recommend it just for the trippy experience.

Anime series I recommend Part 2 (I recommend Part 1 over these):
Kill Me Baby is about a ditzy high school girl who has an assassin and a ninja as friends (they're also high school girls). Catchy credits theme.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu, or Hoozuki's Coolheadedness, is a comedy about the titular character's life as the right-hand man of the King of Hell. Being a comedy, it's a lot more light-hearted than it sounds.

Toaru Majutsu no Index, or A Certain Magical Index, is about an unlucky high school boy in a futuristic world where students are scientifically engineered to have esper powers (though he doesn't have any apparent powers) in Academy City, an independent country whose technology is decades ahead of the rest of the world. He stumbles upon the magician community by accident when he meets the titular Index. The anime's first few chapters go quite slowly, then the pacing becomes fine.

The setting of the series gives it a lot of potential but the anime doesn't show enough. Most of the fun stuff happens in the light novels not yet covered by the anime, such as conflict between the science and magic factions, which is why I didn't recommend it last time. You can't find the translations for the light novels on the internet anymore due to official English publications, other than the more recent New Testament series... but because of the my almighty use of the Wayback Machine ingenuity, I found the translations. (Do note that the anime only covers things up to Volume 13 of the light novels, so you only need to read Volume 14 onwards. I think.)

The spinoff, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, or A Certain Scientific Railgun, is mainly slice-of-life and not the main series' action/fantasy genre, though it takes place in the same setting. You can try watching it but I don't recommend it.

Also has manga for each of those series, as well as another manga-only spinoff called Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator, though I recommend reading the light novel.

EDIT (added 2 anime):
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu is a funny, witty comedy anime. I don't recommend watching Season 2 though, since the gags become a lot less funny in my opinion, mostly involving female-on-male abuse.

Elfen Lied is an anime which really begs the question of morality and what measure is a non-human. It has lots of gore and naked girls, though if you find yourself getting turned on to those girls, you're a monster.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:59:01 AM by CommunistMountain »

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »
Toaru Majustu no Index

I checked this one out, watched the first couple of episodes but found it to be too cliche for my tastes. Didn't check out Kill Me Baby because it also sounded pretty cliche. But I think i'll check out Hoozuki next. As I wait for the newest animes to gain more episodes before I start digging in to them. :3

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 05:00:11 AM »
I know, not to mention slow-paced. Just skip to Episode 4 for Kanzaki's introduction. I forgot that even the second arc is slow (Episodes 6-9), but bear with it. Third arc starts at Episode 10; this is where it gets better.

Like season 1, season 2 starts slow and then gets better normalises.

All in all, as I've said, the anime is more of an introduction to the later light novel arcs, where things get to epic proportions. Still, the introduction the anime gives is a must. SPOILERS:

I also forgot that Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S also has an arc which introduces an important group of characters, from Episode 8 to 10, part of the extension to the third arc of the main series, from Mikoto's perspective. Worth watching.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:03:44 AM by CommunistMountain »

Offline RikkiTikki

• Infinity Wars Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
I can't wait for more Shokugeki no Souma and Shingeki no Kyojin! I stopped reading the manga for Shingeki a few months ago and I've been doing a good job of not giving into the temptation of reading the manga for Shokugeki.

I haven't watched One Punch Man, but I've heard good things about it so I'll definitely check it out at some point. A recent one that I've really liked is "Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri" and the second half of the first season has just started so I'm pretty excited. :)

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
I can't wait for more Shokugeki no Souma and Shingeki no Kyojin! I stopped reading the manga for Shingeki a few months ago and I've been doing a good job of not giving into the temptation of reading the manga for Shokugeki.

I haven't watched One Punch Man, but I've heard good things about it so I'll definitely check it out at some point. A recent one that I've really liked is "Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri" and the second half of the first season has just started so I'm pretty excited. :)

Yes! So much Yes! Shokugeki has climbed to my top 10 favorite anime list, maybe even top 5 just because it's so different. I was never a huge fan of Shingeki but I did enjoy it so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.  I don't read manga anymore so I don't have to worry about the temptation :3

Gate is a very interesting anime but I worry that it will slide off further on because there are some cliche aspects as far as the characters go. But I did like the first half, am waiting to watch the second until there are more episodes so I can binge a little. And I don't mean to over-hype One Punch Man, but make sure you watch it! Especially if you've seen other action anime or if you're a fan of comedy. It's one of those few animes that are close to perfect. It's not trying to be more than what it was meant to be, an action-comedy, so you don't have to take it too seriously.

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
I know, not to mention slow-paced. Just skip to Episode 4 for Kanzaki's introduction. I forgot that even the second arc is slow (Episodes 6-9), but bear with it. Third arc starts at Episode 10; this is where it gets better.

Like season 1, season 2 starts slow and then gets better normalises.

All in all, as I've said, the anime is more of an introduction to the later light novel arcs, where things get to epic proportions. Still, the introduction the anime gives is a must. SPOILERS:

I also forgot that Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S also has an arc which introduces an important group of characters, from Episode 8 to 10, part of the extension to the third arc of the main series, from Mikoto's perspective. Worth watching.

I guess I'll give it a second try, eventually. :)

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
So I have a list here of MUST see animes that I know of according to genre. If you are a particular fan of said genre you should watch these...

Horror...

Mirai Nikki... is about a group of regular people fighting each other to the death in order to take the place as "god" of time and space. Diaries they've kept become "future diaries" and are able to predict the future.

It starts off a little slow and you'll hate the MC at first, but as the story progresses you'll find yourself hooked. Things aren't always as they seem in this gore, action packed anime. Also Yuno is my waifu.

Shinsekai Yori... is about a group of kids in a small town. In the future people have developed psychic powers and this somewhat displays their daily life.

This one is also slow to start, but if you're into learning about future stuff, this has that appeal as well. The suspense is what really gets you hooked and your heart pumping. You may need to rewatch it once or twice to fully understand everything that's going on.

Kagewani... in modern Japan monsters suddenly appear and start attacking people.

Each episode is only about 7 minutes, and the art style takes some getting used to but this anime is very different. It's not the most horrifying thing, but it deserves a look because it's short, and it's entertaining not to mention very different from every day anime.

Action...

Hunter X Hunter (2011)... this follows a boy named Gon who sets off to find out what it is to be a Hunter. His father abandoned him to be one, and he wants to know what's so good about it.

One of the most perfect anime ever made. The only draw back for some, is the art style which portrays a very innocent and childish anime but it's completely misleading. The anime is very deep, characters are very well developed. The action is real and believable. Stick with each arc until the end, and you'll be begging for more. This is a remake of an anime of the same name which came out in 1999. I encourage you to watch both, but start with 2011 since they begin the same way and the story is very much the same. The only difference being the sound and art improvements and length, minor episode differences, etc...

Kiseijuu... is about a boy and his right hand. No not like that you pervert, his hand is eaten by an alien and they have to coexist.

Definitely a very intense and thought provoking anime. There is gore, much of it, and it became so popular they made a live action film about it that's definitely worth a watch. It might even be better to watch the live action first, then the anime. Though the anime goes in to a great deal more depth and the story is great as well, but there is little character development beyond maybe 3 of the main characters.

Akame ga Kill!... is about a group of belligerents attempting to overthrow the corrupt government.

This is a fairly short anime. Unfortunately it does feel a bit rushed at times, but for the amount of episodes the anime is very thorough. It's incredibly bloody but worth every second. I chose to showcase this anime instead of other popular ones because I wanted something maybe a little less popular. Although this is constantly increasing in popularity as it is.

Comedy...

One Punch Man... yes of course I have to include this. I don't care how popular it is if you haven't seen it watch it! This follows a man who always wanted to be a hero and then not only becomes one, but becomes so powerful he's able to fell any opponent with just one punch.

Very hilarious anime. You don't have to take it seriously so even though most of it is absurd, it is believable. I especially love the names they have for the cities. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.

Prison School... about a group of boys that are punished at school for peeking into the girls shower.

This has TONS of fanservice. If you're not a fan, it's still worth it for the comedy. It's great popularity in Japan inspired a live action mini series of the anime. Worth the watch but not as funny as the anime. And the acting could be better.

Desert Punk... No real direction for the anime, except the story follows a womanizing bounty hunter.

This was a tough decision because Desert Punk's humor is very crude. If you don't like raunchy jokes then this one is definitely not for you. It's pretty action packed as well and the main character comes up with some very wacky and clever ways to capture his bounties. If you're not a fan of raunchy, go try Seto no Hanayome instead. Which is more wholesome but also quite funny.

Ecchi...

Zero no Tsukaima... about a girl in school who someones a boy from another planet. It then follows more or less every day life as they live their lives facing school, love, and war.

One of my favorites this anime has story, comedy, action, and great fanservice. It's one of the few ecchi anime that actually has a great story to follow and not the same old fall down on a girl's boobs crap. The second season ending is particularly excellent, you'd almost wish they ended it there. Please note, do not watch the dub, as it is so terrible your ears may bleed.

Kiss x Sis... story, what story? I hear this is about a boy and his two sister's going to school or something?

If you're looking for softcore hentai this is it. Around episode 7-ish you'll need to watch the blu ray rips for uncensored versions. If you can't find them and you're just itching to finish... the series... let me know as I have them. ;)

Yosuga no Sora... is about several different girls with one boy. Each few episodes portrays a relationship the boy has with a specific girl. Each one ending in a different way. It's up to the viewer to decide which ending they want to "believe."

Very interesting in it's delivery, this one is another somewhat softcore hentai. It was a tough decision for me to choose which anime for the last slot as I have many ecchi anime that I like. Some others include Sekirei, Kodomo no Jikan, and Rosario + Vampire. But this one is perhaps more echhi than those while those have better story and character development/interactions.

Mystery...

Monster... a doctor saves a boy from dying, unbeknownst to him, the child is into some dangerous things. The doctor feels guilty in saving him, and sets out to discover who he really is.

This is one of the freakiest, scariest, and detailed anime series out there. It's very long however and the middle episodes are hard to stick with. But it's very much worth it especially if you're interested in mystery.

Death Note... is about a mysterious book that kills whoever's name is written in it.

If you haven't seen this yet, you really need to. Unlike many other mysteries, this anime has everything out in the light. The viewer knows everything, and are shown the points of view of the antagonist and protagonist. The characters are well created and developed, the story will keep you on the edge of your seat, and you'll find yourself fluctuating on who you want the victor to be at the end of the anime.

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility... about economy and a boy who has no money. He's offered a deal in exchange for his "future." and has to participate in fights in order to keep his future and increase his wealth.

Very underrated anime. It can be confusing if you're not good with numbers because a great deal of this has to do with economy. In addition the ending could be better and sort of comes out of nowhere but it's still worth the watch. You will thank me if you stick with it.

FOR ANIME CONCERNING MECHA, GAMES, SLICE OF LIFE, AND/OR ADVENTURE PLEASE COMMENT AND I'LL ADD MORE RECOMMENDATIONS~
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:17:28 AM by Wayfinder1026 »

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 10:04:25 PM »
I'll be sure to try these out wayfinder (well the ones i havebt watched at least)
Im currently watching akame ga kill and i gotta say its one hell of a good anime,
I really recommend it though, alongside HxH and one punch man
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:17:55 PM by SyrianSwat »
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"