Author Topic: Cards to Keep in Mind Against Certain Purity Combinations  (Read 6051 times)

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
Re: Cards to Keep in Mind Against Certain Purity Combinations
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »
I thought Melosia's ability only triggers when she is on the battlefield, and thought Champion Gao Han doesn't have Vigilance, my bad.

Corrupted Celestial Dragon's ability is only triggered by other cards, and as a rule of thumb I don't list cards which require other cards on the list to work. For instance, I did not list Verore Magic Siphoner as it only applies for this list if moved to the Battlefield by another card, even though combos with Ferocity or Word of Command is very common. Besides, since Corrupted Celestial Dragon is very expensive, and unless you have at least 2 extra Resources for Adaptive Drone, you wouldn't be able to exploit its ability on the turn it's played.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 04:23:08 PM »
I disagree and I think while Corrupted Celestial Dragon is surely best used as combo card, he can't just be compared to Siphoner. Unlike Siphoner, he applies a global effect to the game. If your opponent by chance plays any healing ability the turn you deploy the dragon, that ability will be negated (he receives as much damage as he heals). Granted, the possibility of that happening is highly unlikely and with his high cost you won't see him played to counter a predicted healing, but as you said earlier about Vasir, you want to mention all the cards regardless of how good they are. Also, he can be combined with other cards from outside the list, like Field Engineer, to deal damage the turn he is deployed (however, cards like Solace's peace are much more effective, of course).

That being said, it is your list and I don't think that he is of such importance that he must necessarily be mentioned, just wanted to explain my train of thought on that.

I also would not add tome, because it has no immideate effect the turn it is played and leaves you with a couple of turns to react to it. It is not like you will make plans for the case that your opponent could possibly play tome of the dead this turn and adapt your strategy because you want to anticipate that a tome might be played this very turn, it is more like you see him play the tome and deal with it then (or maybe that is just me :) ).

And just because I saw it played recently and depending on your deck it is something you might want to be prepared to see, I would like to also suggest Grave Rob. Can be pretty sad if your Last Sleeper just disappears from game :).

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
And just because I saw it played recently and depending on your deck it is something you might want to be prepared to see, I would like to also suggest Grave Rob. Can be pretty sad if your Last Sleeper just disappears from game :).

I agree.

I do not like to interfere too and I do consider that I don't have the same knowledge of the game as players like Benionin or CommunistMountain but, what ToxicShadow has said about Grave Rob must be considered. By the way, if purify is at the list, maybe the same reasons of including it applies to Grave Rob.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
I don't know if I would call myself especially knowledgeable--I've just been around for a while.

But yeah, Grave Rob. That thing. If I try to res something and my opponent grave robs it, do I get the res? Just curious. I would think Grave Rob would negate it (removing the character from the game so it's no longer a legal target and all) but you can never know...
The other reason to worry about Grave Rob would be if you're actually counting the number of characters in your grave, like with Infested Knight or Hulker.

It's funny how easy it is to miss cards--for anybody. Major props to CommunistMountain for putting all of this together in the first place, though.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 09:14:32 PM »
But yeah, Grave Rob. That thing. If I try to res something and my opponent grave robs it, do I get the res? Just curious. I would think Grave Rob would negate it.

That is pretty much what happened to me and why i suggested Grave Rob. You don't get the card you wanted to rez. And grave rob is even preemptive, so priority does not matter.

It's funny how easy it is to miss cards--for anybody. Major props to CommunistMountain for putting all of this together in the first place, though.

Can only agree on that.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »
I disagree and I think while Corrupted Celestial Dragon is surely best used as combo card, he can't just be compared to Siphoner. Unlike Siphoner, he applies a global effect to the game. If your opponent by chance plays any healing ability the turn you deploy the dragon, that ability will be negated (he receives as much damage as he heals). Granted, the possibility of that happening is highly unlikely and with his high cost you won't see him played to counter a predicted healing, but as you said earlier about Vasir, you want to mention all the cards regardless of how good they are. Also, he can be combined with other cards from outside the list, like Field Engineer, to deal damage the turn he is deployed (however, cards like Solace's peace are much more effective, of course).
Good point!

I'll add Corrupted Celestial Dragon and Grave Rob.

I also would not add tome, because it has no immediate effect the turn it is played and leaves you with a couple of turns to react to it. It is not like you will make plans for the case that your opponent could possibly play tome of the dead this turn and adapt your strategy because you want to anticipate that a tome might be played this very turn, it is more like you see him play the tome and deal with it then (or maybe that is just me :) ).
Yep, that was my original train of thought. Some people might want to keep Tome in mind and not play as many characters as they would if they did not keep it in mind, so I added that in.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:41:40 PM by CommunistMountain »

Offline Wham

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 03:12:28 AM »
Hey hey, I've been taking a look at this and it seems like there are an excessive amounts of cards here.

Some abbreviated lists.

Factionless

Flame Dawn
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:53:14 PM by Wham »

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
As I've said above, I include all cards which may be a threat one must take precautions for before they are played, no matter how unpopular they are.

Updated for Rebellion. For certain cards which are only single purity but require Overcharging with another faction's card to be qualified for this list, I included them under the multi-faction list at the bottom.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 12:43:36 PM »
Thanks for your work and keeping this updated.

I just noticed that you didn't correct some of the balance changes made to older cards:

Intimidating Rally and Jinhai Ambush are both 2 purity now. Ferocity only costs 2, and Volatile Genome costs 5 now (not that it matters, it is still way too bad).

Also arguably Descension deserves to be bold since a good descension can eat an entire line of attackers, but that is only my opinion.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 01:22:17 AM »
Thanks for your work and keeping this updated.

I just noticed that you didn't correct some of the balance changes made to older cards:

Intimidating Rally and Jinhai Ambush are both 2 purity now. Ferocity only costs 2, and Volatile Genome costs 5 now (not that it matters, it is still way too bad).

Also arguably Descension deserves to be bold since a good descension can eat an entire line of attackers, but that is only my opinion.
Nice eye, thanks! I haven't been active in the game until recently, so I'm out of touch of these changes haha.

Yeah I know Descension should be bolded, not sure why me-from-the-past did not do so.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 01:27:38 AM by CommunistMountain »