Author Topic: Cards to Keep in Mind Against Certain Purity Combinations  (Read 6052 times)

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
Cards to Keep in Mind Against Certain Purity Combinations
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »
In every game, one should predict what to anticipate from the opponent based on their deck Purity, and take precautions as necessary, or at least know what to expect. I hope this list will be especially useful for new players. Test yourself: how many cards did you forget even existed?

Note that the list only includes cards which require prediction for a precaution. For instance, it does not include most, if not all characters with activated abilities as they must be in play before they get to activate their abilities, giving you at least 1 turn to react. Granted, one might want to plan 2 or more turns ahead, but then I have to list almost every card in Infinity Wars, which makes the list pointless.

The list does not include non-Core cards such as from the Star Trek set.

Cards are divided into factions, further divided into their required Purities, and sorted by cost. Cards with Dual Purity will be listed separately, and Hybrid cards will be listed twice in their respective factions, in 1 Purity subcategories. Common threats of significance, or threats too impactful to ignore even if they are rarely seen, are bolded.

Characters with Haste, Charge or Vigilance are grouped together within Purity subcategories if that's their only ability which requires precaution. Of course, if the character is the only one able to be grouped that way within the subcategory, there's no point in grouping. If the character has more abilities worth keeping in mind, such as Nix, it will not be included in these groups.

Factionless

Flame Dawn

Warpath

Genesis Industries

Descendants of the Dragon

Cult of Verore

Exiles

Overseers of Solace

Sleepers of Avarrach

CoV+DoD: [4]Jade Witch (if the opponent has at least 1 Verore card for Overcharge)
CoV+OoS: [2]Angel's Bane (if the opponent has at least 1 Overseers card for Overcharge), [1]Regicide
CoV+SoA: [4]Infest
DoD+Ex: [4]Tibat, the Mad Monk
DoD+FD: [4]The Strength of Unity
DoD+GI: [4]Enlightenator XT2500 (if the opponent has at least 1 Dragon Descendants card for Overcharge)
DoD+SoA: [4]Infested Hero
Ex+FD: [6]Lost Knight (if the opponent has at least 1 Flame Dawn card for Overcharge)
Ex+WP: [3]Spawn, Fierce Companion, [4]Once Was Clean (if the opponent has at least 1 Exiles card for Overcharge)
Ex+SoA: [5]No More Heroes
FD+OoS: [3]Ferocious Flyer
FD+SoA: [4]Infested Knight
GI+WP: [3]Dragon Collar
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 01:26:49 AM by CommunistMountain »

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
Re: Cards to Keep in Mind Against Certain Purity Combinations
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 01:27:57 PM »
ty for ur hard work!
i think hilderic's base cost is 15 not 17 but im not really sure.
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »
Excelent work.

Once more, you show why you are one of the most notorious members of the game.

Permit me to thank you not only for this, but 4 all the services to the Community you did and keep on doing.

P.S. [4] Spirit of the Ancient Guardians is one/single purity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »
Glad you guys appreciate it!

i think hilderic's base cost is 15 not 17 but im not really sure.
P.S. [4] Spirit of the Ancient Guardians is one/single purity

Thanks for pointing these mistakes out.

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
Great list, thank you for making it!

I would like to suggest the addition of a card, i think Give Him A Jetpack for 1 purity gi might be worth mentioning. :)

Offline SwatAK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 07:00:01 PM »
i just noticed that theres also a mistake with vasir the chained prince's cost.he's a 7 cost.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 12:58:40 AM »
i just noticed that theres also a mistake with vasir the chained prince's cost.he's a 7 cost.
Whoops, I meant his final(?) form. Should I mention both, though? Or neither, since their abilities can be dealt with without precaution in most cases? I was thinking that as a precaution for the final form, one can play a token generation card beforehand.

Honestly, 70% of the time spent making this was used to ponder on whether or not certain cards should be in the list, and 10% on which ones to bold haha.

I would like to suggest the addition of a card, i think Give Him A Jetpack for 1 purity gi might be worth mentioning. :)
Good idea.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:05:01 AM by CommunistMountain »

Offline SwatAK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »
i dont think u should include him or the chained one. he very rarely sees play and even if he did his effect is not impactful and it can easily backfire.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »
i dont think u should include him or the chained one. he very rarely sees play and even if he did his effect is not impactful and it can easily backfire.
The popularity and impact of cards are not criteria for this list. As you can see, some things listed here are rarely used, such as Vengeful Warrior, but are still worth listing because of the fact that he has Vigilance.

The only criteria is whether or not the card requires prediction before it is played for a precaution to be taken.

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
Well, there are some cards that maybe, you can give a second look:

Jialan, Demon of Dark Bargain, Tome of the Dead, Champion's Herald, Heaven's Assistance, Herald of Dawn, Cavalry Paladin.

But, you are "the one who jugdes", so, I leave it up to you :-)

Again, excellent work.

See ya!

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »
Jialan, Demon of Dark Bargain, Tome of the Dead, Champion's Herald, Heaven's Assistance, Herald of Dawn, Cavalry Paladin.

Jialan and Cav Paladin each have vigilance/charge, and should therefore each be on the list (Jialan already is). As for the others, I think once played they allow time for response and don't necessarily require prediction per se (going by the qualifications that were set up in the original post). Herald of Dawn might have an argument as it gives something else charge, but even so you get to see it get played and have a turn to prepare, so it doesn't really require prediction. Tome of the Dead has a delayed trigger (but on the other hand you still might want to keep it in mind), Heaven's Assistance likewise doesn't immediately affect the battlefield (unless you have Iruel or Force Against the Law, I guess), and Champion's Herald isn't important to predict until it actually hits the field.
I dunno about Demon of Dark Bargain though. Does the cost reduction go into effect immediately or at the start of the next turn--and does it let your opponent play more cards than they would have if they didn't spend the resources on the Demon in the first place?
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline SwatAK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
his effect goes immediatly if i remember correctly, u can play him then instantly abuse his ability.

Offline zakmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
I would like to add cavalry paladin. I once had it in my side boarded for control and people have just flopped to it. Deathraying the paladin is a dumb move. Also mass death when just the paladins are lethal. Its also a 12/8 so its a pretty high power charge minion.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 01:43:47 AM »

Oh my, I somehow missed Cavalry Paladin. Thanks for pointing that out.

The thing about Tome of the Dead is that all its counters only need to be played when its killing ability activates, such as Fiery Resolve, Resolute Initiative, Intervention, TMRS, CTA etc. One could argue that predicting Tome before it is played and not playing characters is a form of precaution one can take, and I completely agree, but I thought it would be too infeasible. Now that I think about it, infeasibility shouldn't be an issue, so I'll add Tome.

Demon of Dark Bargain simply enables other cards on the list to be played cheaper, so it doesn't deserve to be mentioned.

My reasons for not including the rest are already stated by Benionin, thanks.

EDIT: Bolded Paladin of the Flame Dawn and Agent Coyle, Firestarter, because reasons. Those added were bolded too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:48:19 AM by CommunistMountain »

Offline ToxicShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »
I also have three more suggestions:

Corrupted Celestial Dragon and Melosia, Champion of Despair. Their effects are active the turn they are deployed and they dont have to be on the battlefield for it.

And Gao Han, Champion of Warding. He has vigilance so he qualifies anyways, but due to his vigilance his effect will most likely also be active the turn he is played.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:30:54 PM by ToxicShadow »