Author Topic: Advice for a new player?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
Advice for a new player?
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
I just started Infinity Wars about 5-7 days ago and I'm absolutely loving it.
I've been spending IP on Rift Runs to get a hang of the numerous other cards in the game and am currently 5 wins on the 3P deck which I thought was puffy but actually is pretty good.
Rita, Mistress of Shadows and Vahnash with a lot of disposable cards and the oddball DoD goodies such as Chef and Balance.
So far, no losses. But I think that's because I haven't been matched against the veterans yet.

Anyway, I'd like advice on which Boosters to buy to increase my card pool. The more, the merrier as I'd like to try some interesting combinations.
Also, if it's a good idea to continue Rift Runs for XP until I find a deck to save for.
And lastly, do Epics and Legendaries show up for Drafts? I know I saw a Martyr Golem once but lost the deck because I didn't find the forums that you can postpone Abandoning the Deck if you wish to purchase it.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Heaven-Canceler

• Travelling worlds out of fascination.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a new player?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »
3 Purity decks are great in Rift Run because it lowers the amount of Cards you could end up drawing. Thanks to that you are more likely to get good stuff to chose from. You got really damned lucky getting that.

Booster packs you should generally go for the Collection Boosters as they will give you a bit of everything unless you are interested in specific Cards. Then either go looking if someone wants to trade it, or see in which set it was released and get the Boosters from that Set.

For Rare+ Cards that you specifically want, it is probably more efficient to trade or buy somewhere. Otherwise it is pretty much gambling if you get it, though rares at least you can realistically get if you have the Patience.

Rift Runs are good if you win often, if you don't have the Talent/luck for it, then I wouldn't touch them. (Personally, I never got into it) But you seem to be doing well.

So Long as you reach 5 wins, you get a guaranted Rare Card as a reward together with the IP for the wins.  I think it Upgrades to epic at 18?? And Legendary somewhere in the 25-30 range. Plus, you get some extra rewards I think.

And yes, you can get Epics there, got a Calamity once and a Subjugated Dragon I think. They rarely make for a useful Rift Run deck though as they often Need a deck built around them to work well.

Not sure of Legendary, though I think they can be there, just really damned rare.

If you can get consistently 5+ wins, go for it! You get your payment back and some extra.

PS: Don't let the negativity in the Forum stop you from playing, People are a good bit disappointed by the Company currently due to lack of communication. But the game hasn't gotten worse and it doesn't look like it will be taken down or anything.

Have fun!

Other accounts of mine can be found on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:49:08 PM »
Collection packs work fine to spend you IP on. Rifts are also pretty good. They are fun and it does help you learn fast. Heaven Canceler you get a rare card at 9 wins in rift not 5 wins btw. And yes you get an epic at 18 wins.

Epics and legendaries do show up in draft but quite rarely. So do gold and foil cards. However you get a guaranteed legendary at 35 wins so if you are really good at draft you can get some nice cards from very good runs. I have a post about it here
http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=64354.0
Goose got me loose!

Offline Prince of Lies

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I definitely will enjoy this game.

Also, I fought you on my first few Rift Runs, AdoraBear. It was daunting. Hehe.

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 04:04:59 PM »
welcome prince hope u enjoy ur stay with us :D everything mentioned above is true.
im so sorry u had to go through the experience of fighting adora this early on. :P
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"

Offline hibbidy_jibbidy0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
5 wins? that is awesome, i have been playing since this summer, I think 3 wins is the most I ever got.....go and kill dude

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »
rift is about 80% luck and 20% skills imo, i could be wrong of course.
my best run was 12 wins, even though in ranked i reached rank 5, so i consider myself a veteran.
but rift certainly gives u experience, and a lot of that so feel free to continue rifting.
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"

Offline quangtit01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
my best run was 12 wins, even though in ranked i reached rank 5, so i consider myself a veteran.
but rift certainly gives u experience, and a lot of that so feel free to continue rifting.

I really have to disagree. It only depends on luck to reach 9+ victories if u aim for a rare card.
Provided that you won't bump into Adora every single match, you should be able to reach 5 with practically every single deck that u craft from what they give u ( except when u pick 2-3 DoD commander, then u're screw).
The most powerful faction in rift imo = WP and GI: brute force and buff - the more u have them the stronger they are ( avoid mixing these 2 factions though, Artificials and Natures, by its design cores, restrain each other in the same deck)
Then the FD and OOS - though OOS is better used as splash for higher calling and FD is usually better at 2 purity
Then argurably the Exile - they are only good at 2 purity or above (desension, demonic reflextion is the living nightmare) . If splash they only do ok-ish, extremely deadly when 2 Exile 1 DoD
Then the sleeper- however, the sleeper could become tier 1.5 if u can draft triple sleeper and have kyrallic - just don't let flyers crush u down.
The CoV, sadly, only good as a splash faction. not many brute force, and no guarantee that you will get to pick all the good spell there is (they tend to give you crap like beast of burden, verore brute, and the 0/2 card i forgot the name,...)
the factionless... well i've never seen anyone with 3 commander factionless, but i once met someone with zuza, swarmer broodmother and glorious warrior...

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 09:20:33 PM by quangtit01 »

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 12:35:23 AM »

Yes you are wrong lol
Goose got me loose!

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 04:05:30 AM »
He is wrong because Rift is 100% luck.  :o

I am proof, I just auto draft key cards. I have 0% skill and I still manage to win.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Klassick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »
Well, I don't like Rifts... but, take a look at these threads, they may help too:

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=20035.0

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=65358.0