Author Topic: Newbie Series Videos  (Read 1606 times)

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
Newbie Series Videos
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:31:24 PM »
Hey everyone! Just wanted to post a link to a newbie series on Youtaku's channel I've been collabing with. Right now we're looking to do tutorial episodes until we get the basics of each faction down - feedback is always appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:28:32 AM by ecliptix »
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Quickslip

• View Profile
Re: Newbie Series Videos
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 04:47:21 AM »
Nice idea, these could be helpful. :)

That said, this looks more like an expedition video than a newbie guide video to me. You two are commonly making plays and taking them back before you end the turn without going over what risks you are weighing(which I admit, would be kinda hard to do in a shared call while in a match without giving anything away to your opponent). You end up referencing a bunch of cards, and a newbie might not know what card you two art talking about.

I'd think a guide would be more focused on how to play a specific faction, and what to think about as you play against other factions. Like, you'd just focus on you two playing just one deck and playing around the strategies of 2 or 3 other decks that you come across in normals. Or maybe just set up the matches with someone who has the decks you want to showcase yours against. Then you can freely share your thoughts on the match, which I feel would be more informative to newbies. Also, I'd try to limit the overload on new concepts by trying not to mention as many cards that aren't directly relevant to the game at hand. When you do talk about a card that's not on the field or in your hand at the time, you could also splice it into the video later in a special box or beside a pulsing arrow or something so everyone can see what card you are referencing.

If you wanted to go further, you could show some changes you can make with the deck(using commons and uncommons) between matches to show how you could evolve the deck to be stronger in the matchup. Explain some of how what you took out makes you weaker vs other things. In the end, possibly show off some different command zones within the same purity and strategy and talk a little bit about how you might change the deck to adapt to the new command zone to help other newbies modify their own decks.

Alternatively, if you want to keep them as expedition matches between factions, I'd try to keep playing your opponent until each side wins a match, then upload both, commenting on the difficulty of the matchup as appropriate. Seems more clean to me, but I'm weird.

Anyway. My two cents. Good luck. :)

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »
Appreciate the feedback!

We're still definitely working the kinks out, but I think a lot of that is getting used to collaborating / trying to be both informative and interesting. It may take us a few videos to get dialed in, but we finished another today and it seemed better than the first. Further down the road I imagine we might redo that particular video. While I think there is still a TON of room for improvement I think its also exponentially more informative/helpful than our first round was.

What might be a better idea for us to do on a faction by faction basis is to do mirror matches that way we can directly address the faction so there isn't a huge information overload.

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
I really liked the idea of the overall series you guys want to build. Newbie guides are always appreciated, but like Quickslip said,

[...] this looks more like an expedition video than a newbie guide video to me.

Lemme give you my not at all lengthy input:

• I think the start of the video was a tad confusing. Youtaku started talking out of nowhere about his command zone and failed to explain what were you guys going to do. For someone that already knows what's going on with the game, that was fine, but I feel you needed a bit of a 'standard' introduction.
  • Like Quick said, you guys are referencing too many cards without explaining what exactly do they do. It's not straightforward for a new player to understand what your command zone was all about. You never mentioned what can Aleta do, for example (and no, the video quality isn't enough for the player to stop and read the card description).
  • I think you guys also missed in not leaving it clear what each deck was built to do and its overall strategies. Ecliptix did a good job on his deck analysis, explicitly telling his overall goal and adding a bunch of extra information, such as command zone layout, how to expect the deck curve to be, etc. There was little to no information about the GI deck. You barely said what any of the cards did and left it at "this is a standard/basic gi list". Standard for what? What does it try to accomplish? It wasn't until the 7 minute mark that you started mentioning what the deck idea was all about!
  • I think Quick was spot on with his idea about describing factions and how to play a variety of matchups. And play according to that. For example, little focus was given to blocking in the early game by the GI player. You clearly can't outrush him with your command set up and a few misinformation cards aren't going to matter at all for the FD player.
    It took you 3 turns to consider blocking, to a point where the FD had built a sizable early game. You ended up having to do subpar trades and lost board advantage.
  • Like quick said, I understand you guys are facing each other, but I think that hampered too much what you were able to say about the decks and cards (like noble protector. You guys talked about it and yuanshi's wrath but never mention what did any of the cards do).
    To be honest, I don't see why couldn't you guys have straight out said the main cards of your deck were, basic strategies, etc and just play a demonstrative match.
  • If you guys want to stick to the 'not show your opponent your deck' format, I'd strongly suggest you try post commentary. It allows you to analyse plays, risk taking, endless possibilities for a turn, etc
    Ecliptix post game comentary was pretty damn good and it's what I expect from a newbie guide, but it would've been so much better if it happened DURING the matches!

And god, youtaku's voice is cringeworthy :/

Sorry if it's quite a bit of criticism, but I loved the idea and community content is what gave IW so much life! Keep improving and I think it'll be a pretty damn nice series!

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone

The newest video can be found here

We took the older video down and replaced it with a newer FD only version so as to reduce the amount of information overload going on. Hopefully this one is way more helpful than the other one was and is more focused.

Again, feedback is always appreciated!

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
That.. was actually much better. It was really pleasant to see the plays and thought process from both players during the matches and I think the post turn commentary worked well. I'd still consider giving post commentary a go if it's not too much work, just to see if it fits. But it's pretty good as it is.

Loved the detailed deck description at the start of the video, describing cards, what they do and what the deck aims to accomplish. And aside from a few misjudgements (like you can't be defensive in fd vs fd. You can exploit good trades, for example. Just rushing isn't a viable option if you're falling behind and if you can get a few 2 or 3 for 1 in the early/mid game, that goes a long way in the matchup), the video was pretty great.

Looking forward to see other faction matchups! Keep improving, guys :3~

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »
that was a lot better than the first, since it actually got me interested in watching (couldnt handle more than 6 mins of the first)
most of the stuff u said were correct, though the not defending at all in fd is wrong, kali is an excellent defender before being is an excellent attacker
looking forward to see the other factions, keep it up :D
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:49:40 AM »
most of the stuff u said were correct, though the not defending at all in fd is wrong, kali is an excellent defender before being is an excellent attacker looking forward to see the other factions, keep it up :D

Go by what I do, not what I say :P

In that particular match though I really didn't need to defend. The cases where you DO need to defend also tend to be more specific cases and at this point I'm focused more on factions in general rather than specific nuances. The guide right now is intended for players in the 0-1600 range more than 1600+.

Offline YoutakuGaming

• View Profile
    • Infinity Wars Gameplay
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 06:35:56 AM »
most of the stuff u said were correct, though the not defending at all in fd is wrong, kali is an excellent defender before being is an excellent attacker looking forward to see the other factions, keep it up :D

Go by what I do, not what I say :P

In that particular match though I really didn't need to defend. The cases where you DO need to defend also tend to be more specific cases and at this point I'm focused more on factions in general rather than specific nuances. The guide right now is intended for players in the 0-1600 range more than 1600+.

Nobody can handle the fact that flame dawn is really bad at defending can they? I challenge thy who thinks thy flames are defensive to a duel of thy death.

Bears. Beats. Battlestar Galactica.