Author Topic: Playing draft or buying packs? Which should you choose?  (Read 4034 times)

Offline gagaking

• View Profile
Playing draft or buying packs? Which should you choose?
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:58:05 PM »
 Hi,

I decided to try to answer some common questions in IW, and put the answers in a google spreadsheet.

Please read the first 4 lines of the spreadsheet ("Full charts" tab) before deciding to skip this guide. it is not as scary as it looks.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet:
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rx8HeZQBeJ1U3FzBAEJGMpDAmSvyN_ixkNwpwdtssjw/edit#gid=838066720

Some, but not all things this guide contains:

1) How much is a pack worth? what about a rare?

2) Should I play draft or constructed? How many wins do I need to get to make draft more “profitable”?

3)How likely is it to get a gold, epic or legend from packs? what about from draft?

4) what other guides for Infinity Wars should I know about?

5) when should I buy a draft deck?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extra things to note:
1) You can download this as an excel file by going to file-download as- microsoft excel.

2) I have also split the Topics in the guide into tabs, or you can read (almost everything) in the "full charts" tab.

3) The LINKS and KEYs tabs are NOT in the full charts tab, but the info for KEYS is in the full charts tab.

4) The Draft Gold Calcs tab also has some extra helpful notes and tips at the end.

5) I hope this helps!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 10/23/2015
6) Update: I tried to translate the "Keys" tab into Español. I probably didn't do a good job, but hopefully it will help at least a few players.

7) If anyone has any suggestions for what I should add to the guide, or how I can improve it, feel free to let me know.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:45:02 AM by gagaking »

Offline Klassick

• "I'm not negative. Just there are no positives"
    • View Profile
Re: Playing draft or buying packs? Which should you choose?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
Seeing this guide really helps a lot at taking some decisions and spending the game currency more wisely!

Tks 4 sharing your work with us!

I vote 4 this post to be stickied.  8)
"Everyone here likes the game. We just hate the devs."
- MerliniX

Offline SwatAK

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
yeah it should be pinned
thx for ur efforts king :D
"Fighting relaxes me. It's like meditation, but i get to kill something"

Offline gagaking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:51:51 AM »
I'm glad you like it!
 :)

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 05:40:44 AM »
By popular demand, stickied.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline gagaking

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:09:07 AM »
I added a new tab that lists the number of Legends and Epics by faction, purity (and to a lesser extent) set.

A) Do you think this tab is helpful?

B)  Should I add this tab to the existing spreadsheet, or just move all new tabs to a new spreadsheet (called miscellaneous extra tabs/name TBD) to make it easier to navigate in the main spreadsheet?

C) I am currently keeping track of the number of rares, golds/foils, epics and legends I am offered every draft (and what factions I chose). When I reach 100 recorded drafts, I can post the results on the spreadsheet.

D) Does anyone have any other suggestions for how I can improve this guide?

Thanks!

Offline Urza13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 12:39:47 AM »
Nice work man.

I have a couple of observations:

In your sheet you only consider rares, epics, legendaries and golend/foil. I guess that’s right for old players but for many of us (newbies) this is not right because we need and appreciate uncommons and even commons. It would be nice if you add one worksheet considering the value of uncommons and commons (or just uncommons). This may also lower the goals to “break even if never buying a deck”, which looks really intimidating (Consider this: the average numbers of wins is 3. Only about 3.3% of the runs end 9 wins or higher).

I will keep playing rifts because I find it more fun than constructed, and because looking your sheet I realize that there is no very much difference in economy compared to constructed.

Offline gagaking

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »

1)    I added Adorabear’s guide on what you get at each # of draft wins, including commons and uncommons, in the LINKS! tab.

2)    I think the buying the deck calculations are useful even for new players, on occasion. For example, if you get certain cards or combinations of cards in your deck, it can be worth it to buy the deck at 0 wins (ex: if you get a martyr golem, Agent Coyle Immovable, Klore, or a gold/foil rare).

3)    The trade value guide (in the LINKS! tab) mentions some asked for uncommons, and survival swarmer. There are a few more uncommons that are commonly asked for, such as all the swarmers, fear, infested abomination, and uncontrolled rifts, but not that many. Most others should be easy to get.

I think a rare is worth at LEAST 3 uncommons (unless its a terrible rare for 3 fears or something similar). Maybe 5 or more, especially if they aren’t “in demand” uncommons.

I think the biggest problem with posting a value for uncommons is that since they are so much more common than rares, it is much easier for players to get 3 of the uncommons they need than for rates, and so it is harder to trade them for other cards you need.

Two other thing to note:
3A)    You may be able to trade a rare (especially a highly valued rare) for a lot of good uncommons from a semi-veteran player (same goes for a gold or foil card), but you won’t be able to trade uncommons for a rare (I would think).

3B)   I know many veteran and semi-veteran players give a lot of their unneeded/extra uncommons and commons away to new and/or nice players for free. If you ask in global or trade chat for uncommons or commons, some players will just give them to you.

I personally have given some plat commons/uncommons (as well as non plat cards) to new/nice players for free who asked and I had extras. I gave many more to players who offered a rare. I have also seen new players given a very large number of plat uncommons (and even rares sometimes) for free. However, asking for a free rares, epics, golds or packs in global or trade chat won’t make people want to give you free cards.

4)    If you are level 20, and have the double ip bonus from playing for 5 days, you only need 1 win each round to get enough ip to do another draft.

Offline Urza13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »
Well, I guess you are right about the uncommons, and even if you give value to uncommons, the result would be kinda the same because the prize of a run rises but the value of a rare in IP goes down so it compensates. (I did some estimations).

Looking your sheet again I have a couple of observations:

1.   Looking for Adorabear chart I think you made a mistake in cells D70, E70, D71…etc. because in D70 you are not considering the Rare and in E70 you are not considering the epic.

2.   I think there is 1 more criteria to choose for going rifts vs going ranked/causal: the average number of wins. You make more IPs when you win a game than when you lose. That means if your average win rate in ranked is 50% (which should be if the system pairs you with similar level) and your average win rate in rift is, let’s say, 70%, you are probably making more IP with rifts + prizes than playing on constructed. So it would be great to add a cell of “average win rate rift” and another of “average win rate constructed” so the sheet considers this in the calculations. I can do it if you want and if you agree with my conclusion.
(Sorry for my English)

Offline heartthew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »

Wait, you are still here?

The (only) shining knight of Lightmare, still here after moving on...

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »

Wait, you are still here?

The (only) shining knight of Lightmare, still here after moving on...

He will always be here in our hearts.  ;D
But no, that was on October 16, 2015. He quit on November 9, 2015.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline gagaking

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
1) Urza13, Thanks for catching that! Those cells are now fixed (also in the draft calcs section).

2)  I’m not sure I understand your second point. Are you saying if some people know they have a much different win percentage in draft than constructed, they can input their expected probabilities of winning to get their projected “profit”? That seems relatively complicated and confusing.

3) This spreadsheet also doesn’t list all the factors that go into a match. I haven’t 100% confirmed that wins always give you full ip regardless of time played pier game in draft (even if losses seem to). I also didn’t include the time to recreate a new draft deck after losing 3 times, or the fact that draft games take a little longer than constructed games on average (unless someones playing control).

4) In draft, Averages aren’t as useful as you might think. for more info, you can look at the tips in the Draft GOLD Calcs section/Tab.

5) The ultimate determinate of draft vs Constructed should be which mode you have more fun playing, however…

6) Teremus left Lightmare? Where/When was this announced?

Offline Urza13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »
1) No problemo!

2-3)  Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. You are right that it’s not that simple but it may make it more accurate. E.g. I’m far from hitting 30% of the time 9 wins but I think combining prizes of rares and prizes of IPs I do better in rift than in constructed because my average number of wins in rift is more than 50% and sometimes hit 9 wins. I personally have longer games in constructed, probably is because my decks are not fast.   

5) Agree

6) Yes, there is a post somewhere.

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
@-@ so many numbers
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
His excel is not user friendly.  ;D
Where there's a will, there's a way.