Author Topic: Is Torchbearer a good card?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline mantrius

• View Profile
Is Torchbearer a good card?
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »
I mean, in the command zone is 7 damage almost guaranteed but with that little effect and stats in par of Soldier of Fortune, is actually a good card? That's my question.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:55:20 PM by mantrius »

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
Re: Is Flagbear a good card?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
Adaptive scout is probably better than torchbearer. It removes a card from your hand, but lets you deal 7 dmg on the next turn as well (if you face no blockers). And if you do, you get 7 damage to trade with instead of 4. But it all depends on what deck you're running and what decks you expect to face. If not in command, torchbearer is a fine card that will often find it's way into the maindeck.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:55:17 PM by goobypls »

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is Torchbearer a good card?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
So in TCGs you want your early game drops to not be useless late game. I don't know if you've played any other TCGs so I won't give any examples. But you don't want to draw a 1 drop late game that is useless, because dead draws suck.

This is why people like Torchbearer. You can play him early game as a minion to contest the battlefield, or late game to push for damage. He's not the best at either role, which is why he's often paired with aggressive cards like Paladin of the FD and FD Hound for early game pressure and cards like Sacculus to accumulate unblockable damage in the mid to late game.

He's not that good in command in my opinion, early game you want to be fighting for tempo and the battlefield, Torchbearer is not the best 1 drop for that role. That said he will still dead 3 damage even if he gets lightning blasted turn 1.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:07:16 PM by 182jaja182 »