Author Topic: Playing Against Verore is like...  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Dovaldo83

• View Profile
Playing Against Verore is like...
« on: April 20, 2015, 06:13:21 AM »
Playing against Verore is like hosting a game of which ball the cup is under, except there are two cups (support and battle field) and sometimes they make you place the ball under the cup they want, and eventually they have enough resources to flip over both cups, flip you off, and violate your grandmothers zomborg corpse while forcing you to watch.

Maybe that's a bit extreme. Really my win lost ratio is about 50/50 verses them. I don't feel they're incredibly unbalanced, yet some of the combos with other factions lean that way. I just feel the whole game play dynamic of "Oh what is he going to target next, my best guy? My second best guy? The whole battlefield? My support zone? All of the above?" not really compelling, because 9 times out of 9 the best strategy is to just shuffle everything around anyway.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Re: Playing Against Verore is like...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
verore is sooo coin flip.

you can try to minimize losses but keeping only half your puffy on the field but they might just have 2 field clears anyways.

Offline HeliosAFlame

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:56 PM »
how interesting verore is really depends what youare playing.
if you are playing a deck full of standard creatures with no charge, haste or resilience then games go pretty much how you say. Its beatable but kinda a slog, skillful but none the less relying heavily on just flipping coins.

Things get better if you are playing a deck that is better suited to dealing with them, either having charge creatures that can suprise your opponent on a turn they did not think they needed to mass death or resilient creatures that can provide pressure even through removal.

Flamedawn is probably one of the more fun decks to play against cov because paladins force them to be slightly more creative. 3gi or dod or such are going to have a bad time though. As of right now there isn't too much you can do here other than tweaking your deck beforehand.

Offline Dovaldo83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:17:07 AM »
Verore Player: What you do not smell is called nukes card. It is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadlier nukes known to man.
[He puts the goblets behind his back and, presumably, adds the poison to one of them, then sets them down in front of him]
Verore Player: All right. Where did I nuke? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both end our turn, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
Other Player: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would nuke the battlefield or his enemy's support zone? Now, a clever man would nuke the battlefield, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the zone in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool. You would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the zone in front of me.
Verore Player: You've made your decision then?
Other Player: Not remotely! Because nukes comes from Verore, as everyone knows! And Verore is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the zone in front of you.
Verore Player: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Other Player: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?
Verore Player: Verore.
Other Player: Yes, Verore. And you must have suspected I would have known the card's origin, so I can clearly not choose the zone in front of me.
Verore Player: You're just stalling now.
Other Player: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?! You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've nuked the battlefield, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the zone in front of you! But, you've also bested my Agent Coyle, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the nuke as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the zone in front of me!
Verore Player: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Other Player: It has worked! You've given everything away! I know where the nuke is!
Verore Player Then make your choice.
Other Player: I will, and I choose- What in the world can that be? [Other Player points behind the Verore Player. Then plays a Dragon followed by Ferocity to move it to the assault zone]
Verore Player: What? Where? I don't see anything.
Other Player: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. [He is having a hard time containing his laughter]
Verore Player: What's so funny?
Other Player: I--I'll tell you in a minute. First, let's end turns.
Verore Player: You guessed wrong.
Other Player: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I summoned a dragon when your back was turned! Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!" [He laughs hysterically, but suddenly freezes mid-laugh and dies from loss of moral; the Verore Player played The Calamity]

Offline HeliosAFlame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:51:11 AM »
That is hilarious XD.

The one problem is you don't lose morale to calamity.

Other than that it was very enjoyable.

Oblivion would work btw. that deals morale damage.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:05:23 AM by HeliosAFlame »

Offline jgsnowbaorder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 04:52:10 AM »
kudos for that btw :D
Now, now, let's all calm down. No-one knows what they're talking about anyway ;)

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:50 AM »
+1

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
Quite possibly the best post I've ever seen
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:13:36 AM »
+1 for hilarity.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 03:40:44 PM »
Playing against Verore is like hosting a game of which ball the cup is under except you can knock over all the cups with flame dawn.

Also +10 for Dovaldo lol
Goose got me loose!

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:02:29 PM »
It doesn't have to be a coin flip. You don't have to commit everything to one zone. You just treat each zone as odds and commit based off those odds.

There's also maintaining momentum to consider. There is only a certain amount of mass removal in their deck. It's also unlikely they will hold it all. So by only commiting the amount of troops to the battled field that you're  deploying to support. Then you can maintain momentum each turn, by always having pressure on the board. If you can do that then it doesn't matter if you're predicted.

The problem is that loosing to verore isn't fun because it takes them a while to close the game out, while you're left powerless. But you've already lost by he game by that point.