Author Topic: An Order Review - Warpath  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
An Order Review - Warpath
« on: March 27, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »
I'm going to be looking over all the cards in Order, and judging them based on how good I feel they are. Overall I felt Order was a very weak set, and I want to point out the cards I think failed the most, and why. I'll be giving each card one of five judgements:

Borderline Overpowered - This card is extremely powerful. Basically, any buff to a card in this category would drive it into Overpowered status easily. I don't think powerful cards are a bad thing in card games, in the right circumstance, so being in this category is not a call to nerf it.

Excellent - This card is just straight up good at what it's designed to do. When compared to other similar cards, this one is overall better most of the time

Average - This card is average. Compared to other similar cards, it's nothing special. It may just be a niche card, or competing for a slot against a straight up better card.

Poor - This card... sucks. Whatever it does, is not justified by the opportunity cost.

Complete Garbage - A card that gains this title should never have left the design room. How it survived any longer than 5 seconds after anyone had seen the card's final form is a mystery left to the ages.

The 'Suggested Changes' section will contain possible changes based on two factors:
1. How much could you improve this card without making it overpowered (aka, how crap is it if you can double it's stats without making OP)
2. Are there any changes that will make the card overall more interesting to play/play against

None of the suggested changes are things I feel NEED to happen, just things that would be better if it was changed, at least in my opinion.

Today, we'll be going over the Warpath Order Cards. Before we begin, i'd like to say that Warpath was the first faction I played as a main. Ever since Lightmare neutered Triple Warpath by ruining Karani, and their subsequent failure to fix the gap in the faction her removal caused, i've been filled with sadness over what was once my favorite faction. I may end up taking the faction's failures in this set more personally.

But enough of that, lets begin!

Caretaker of the Swarm

Opinion:
It's a card that swarmers have needed for quite some time. And it seems to be a perfectly designed swarmer card. It helps breed more swarmers, for more teamwork combos, for a reasonable cost.

Any failing this card has, is a failing of swarmers as a whole. This individual card is fine. Really not much more to say.

Suggested Changes:
As I said, I like this card as is. If you need to buff it, more HP would be where to look. 5 is pretty close to the danger zone of easy removal.

FINAL JUDGEMENT: Excellent

Force Against The Law

Opinion:
It costs 9.... it costs 9.... and it doesn't have haste.

Warpath can't waste time on this crap. 7 Cost Skraar's are more tempo. I'd rather run Skraar's Young. 10/10 for 4, 16/16 Unstoppable for 8. Only difference being, Skraar's Young isn't completely useless till you reach 9 resources. If you can afford 9, you're pretty close to affording 12 for HBC. If I need a giant anti-flyer dude, my money is on HBC. HBC dude, you are my bro.

Who gives a damn about dealing with flyers like this? This isn't even worth sideboarding.

Also, who shoved this 'Giant' crap into my WARPATH BEAST decks. Way to remove any synergy with the rest of the deck. If this is 'overpowered' with HBC or Call The Warpath, giving a giant name is not the correct fix.

Suggested Changes:
IT COSTS NINE!!!!!!!

Reduce the cost, reduce the stats, and possibly give it haste.

FINAL JUDGEMENT: Complete Garbage

Kills by Leaping

Opinion:
I'm just going to start this off with: What the hell was wrong with the name Leaping Tiger?

Well they destroyed any real chance of this card being useful with the changes since it's early Order preview. Without haste, it has no surprise factor. I'm sure the opponent can do the math that maybe they need to block with 2 characters instead of once when you play this card. if the IQ of the average player ever drops below 60, this card may make a massive comeback.

But that's not even the worst part. Warpath does not 'dance' around characters. Warpath goes ON THE WARPATH. Warpath goes THROUGH whatever petty humans are stupid enough to stand in their way. You may actually make things harder for yourself if the Tiger ignores a defender you WANT to kill.

10 health on a 6 cost card is also complete crap. Enjoy dying to any 4 drop in the game.

Suggested Changes:
Pick one:
1. Give it haste back, give it more HP.

2. Change it's cost and stats to be lower. As a 2 or 3 drop, this effect might be annoying enough to force your opponent to commit more to defense.

3. Activate: Leaping Tiger ignores the first defending character this turn when it attacks. You may activate this ability more than once to ignore additional defending characters. Each additional activation costs 2-3 resources.
+ Increase HP to 14.

Lumbering Goliath

Opinion:
Vanilla big creatures suck. He's competing with Skraar, Hunted Dragon, Skraar's Young, Stampede. He sucks. Vanilla big creatures suck.

I guess he's not horrible in draft... pretty crappy reason to have a crappy card though.

Suggested Changes:
Make him do something. Anything.

FINAL JUDGEMENT: Poor

Mountain Giant

Opinion:
Why does this card need to be a giant? Will the world collapse if he was a beast?

12 Health 5 cost creature, probably won't block enough flying to matter in the end.

I imagine this card's main purpose, was to add anti-flying options for drafters. I don't see this ever being a constructed card.

Suggested Changes:
More health. Still will suck in constructed probably, but makes it more likely to be seen.

Shamba, the Ferocious

Opinion:
Lets call him what he is. A crappy pack leader. 9 resources for a 16/16 Pack Leader is not reasonable, sorry.

Suggested Changes:
Give him the Pack Leader effect (+3/+3) without enraging. Keep the enrage effect as is otherwise. Now, he is a Unique Pack Leader, that can enrage for an additional +6/+6. You can't call that overpowered.

Swift Hunter

Opinion:
Useless outside breeding/hermit decks. Breeding decks are useless outside of Hermit. Until Triple Warpath gets a better use for token beasts, without praying Pack Leaders don't eat Death Rays, not a good card for Triple Warpath.

One Pack leader buff still only turns it into 7/8. That's just not good enough.

Also, can I say that this card is just plain ugly? It looks like the Wolf is short a few marbles...

Suggested Changes:
This card doesnt need a change. But to make it useful, Warpath needs a similar effect to Hermit, but obviously not as powerful or spammable.

FINAL JUDGEMENT: Average (Only because of Hermit, otherwise, Complete Garbage)

Eucalyptus Tree

Opinion:
This is better than I expected it to be. It's only 1 Purity, so you can splash this quite easily. Of all the times i've seen it played, i've probably only see all 4 dropbears die twice.

Obviously significantly better in Hermit than other Warpath decks, but the tempo you can back with this, or even just the stall makes it worth it IMO.

Suggested Changes:
None. This card is perfect as is. Couldn't even hazard a guess as to what to change.

Guard

Opinion:
Not good enough. It's essentially a crappy Martyr Golem effect.

There simply aren't enough scenarios where this card can be used to great effect, as opposed to being a dead card in hand that you'd rather shuffle away. If you need this sort of effect, you just run Martyr's instead.

2 Purity does this card no favors either.

Suggested Changes:
Give it preemptive, reduce cost to 1, reduce purity requirement to 1 Warpath.

Pack Hunt

Opinion:
Exact same opinion as Swift Hunter:

Useless outside breeding/hermit decks. Breeding decks are useless outside of Hermit. Until Triple Warpath gets a better use for token beasts, without praying Pack Leaders don't eat Death Rays, not a good card for Triple Warpath.

One Pack leader buff still only turns it into 7/8. That's just not good enough.

Suggested Changes:

This card doesnt need a change. But to make it useful, Warpath needs a similar effect to Hermit, but obviously not as powerful or spammable.

FINAL JUDGEMENT: Average (Only because of Hermit, otherwise, Poor)

Rite of Rage

Opinion:
Does exactly what it's supposed to. The number of single target damage nukes is rather limited, so you often can't get a giant amount of value, considering you have to predict the exact turn something of yours is going to be nuked. You can still get some value out of it on any turn you feel an AoE spell is coming, but you probably won't get a huge buff.

Most common combo with this card is the Splat + Rite of Rage + Unstoppable combo to make a giant unstoppable character.

Suggested Changes:
I always worry with these pre-emptive style cards, that the effect is not always worth it. If I had to make a change, i'd make it so if the opponent damages the targeted character, Rite of Rage is added back into your hand. If you land one, you keep your opponent on his toes as he knows another could drop just as easily.

Stampede

Opinion:
Not a bad card. Can be used as a Mass Death dodge, has synergy with Hermit and Pack Leader. 20 potential damage for 7, still pretty fair. A little bit situational, but I still feel it's a solid sidedeck card if nothing else.

Suggested Changes:
Card seems fine as is. If you had to force a change, i'd give the 4/5 beasts unstoppable. It IS a Stampede after all.

>>>>>BONUS!<<<<<

We'll be including Docile Panda in the Warpath listing, as opposed to DoD. So, enjoy! If you're looking for Terror Moose, sorry, you'll find him in the Flame Dawn review as soon as that's finished.

Docile Panda

Opinion:
It's a crappy defense golem. That's a beast. Do I need to say more?

Suggested Changes:
There's not a lot to change, since the design intent seemed to be... crappy defense golem. It achieves that.

I'd add an Enrage effect for +5/+5 whenever it takes Combat damage that only triggers once, or something. I guess. That way, it's crap when it takes the first hit, but gains a little bit more use once triggered. Maybe once per turn. Maybe only attack, not health. The Docile Panda is not so docile when someone disturbs it...

And that concludes my Warpath Order review. The final tally of all 13 cards stands at:

Borderline Overpowered - 0
Excellent - 4
Average - 2
Poor - 4
Complete Garbage - 3

Stay tuned, as I intend on completing all the factions when I find the time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:25:43 PM by Rethorian »

wham

Re: An Order Review - Warpath
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
I feel like Eucalyptus tree should be put as borderline overpowered. It does take some effort to use depending on the context of where you're playing it, but in a hermit deck you can easily combo it together with pack leader and hermit on turn 7 and get instant board presence.

Overall it costs 12:
You get 4x6/10  and 1x12/12 which comes out to 36/52 (or 6/20 in defense + 24 fortress damage), where the only card you actually need to draw is eucalyptus tree.

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
Honestly, I try not to think about Hermit when I think about good Warpath cards.

If Eucalyptus Tree is only broken because of Hermit, maybe Hermit is the problem?

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:42:28 PM »
Edited to remove misunderstood statement.

I'd have named Kills by Leaping 'Stripey and Bitey'.

We'll
This... this disturbs me more than it should. (imagines a hive mind of Rethorian clones)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:46:32 PM by CommunistMountain »

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »
Your statement on vanilla big creatures sucking is not baseless, but I wonder why you'd include Skraar and his Young. They're not vanilla (though close), and certainly do not suck in my opinion.

Lumbering Goliath is a 7 cost card. I compared him to Skraar, because if you want to have a 7 cost Warpath beast, it has to be as good as Skraar or at least close, or it's just not worth it.

Skraar's Young is essentially a 16/16 Unstoppable 8 cost creature. Compared to Lumbering Goliath's 18/18 no unstoppable, he can't compete for that 7 cost slot.

Offline Heaven-Canceler

• Travelling worlds out of fascination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
I think they will make Support for the Giant type in the future. It is the only real reasoning to introduce it into further Cards for Warpath. There may be some Cards that give bonuses to Giants or give you an Advantage if you have Giants in Play in the future. It would be especially good if they were solidly different Advantages from Standard Beasts, so not just +X/+X like Pack Leader, but other stuff like, I dunno more Untouchable or stuff. Warpath has a big weakness against Control, so a second playstile that helps against that would be great.

Another way to make Shamba better would be to make him buff himself. That way he is a 19/19 after enraging. Still pretty inefficient though. Honestly, a unique Pack Leader should by all common sense be somewhat better than the Standard one in some way. Right now it is only an extra Pack Leader for higher cost.

Other accounts of mine can be found on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

Offline moominpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »
Caretaker of the Swarm

Impossible to evaluate as long as swarmers suck. Would probably be fine if swarmers were fine.

Force Against The Law

It exists to solve a problem that is no longer extant, mass flyer OS. Of course, when that problem was extant it wouldn't have solved it because it's too slow. In a twitchcast Poga said the reason they invented the giant type was so that they could push some warpath cards to be much better than they would normally be while forcing players to choose between raw power and synergy. The problem with this card is that it has neither raw power nor synergy.

Kills by Leaping

This ability feels like it should be on a low cost FD character with charge, not on a WP character. The stats are way behind curve, and even more importantly it just doesn't do something that WP wants to do.

Lumbering Goliath

Vanilla creatures will exist. Cards that are mostly just draft cards will exist. He is the high end of vanilla WP characters. He's fine. Won't see constructed play at high levels because that's the way of vanilla characters, but he's good in draft.

Mountain Giant

Again, he's fine in draft where you need some anti-flyer tech in your WP decks. Some cards will be draft cards, not constructed cards. This is okay.

Shamba, the Ferocious

He's okay in draft, but it does feel like creating a unique pack leader was a chance to push a card a little more, and he's actually worse than pack leaders. Disappointing card.

Swift Hunter

Swift Hunter has his place. He's good against rush (though a little overshadowed by the rabbit of doom), but is better on offense than the rabbit and combos better with beast buffs. Fills a niche. Playable in constructed in the right deck.

Eucalyptus Tree

This card always looks bad to me when I read it, but always overperforms when I play it (or play against it). It is, indeed, a really strong card. Maybe the best new card WP got.

Guard

When this card combo'd with Rite of Rage it was insane. I'm glad that combo was knocked out of the game, but it did leave this card without a home. Not really playable in draft or constructed.

Pack Hunt

This puts 8 power and 10 toughness on the board, so is slightly ahead of One of Many in raw power. Multiple bodies also combos with WP beast synergy better than any single 3 drop can. It's a solid card, playable in constructed and draft.

Rite of Rage

It's a counter to direct damage. It's about as strong as such a counter can be, since it costs one and not just counters damage, it actually causes the effected creature to benefit from the damage. Counters are always situational, but as situational counters go this is a good card.

Stampede

This card is good without being overpowered. At least sideboard worthy against control decks, and okay to main deck in some cases. Also fine in draft. Well-designed card IMO.

Docile Panda

Docile Panda actually has one big advantage over Defense Golem. You can play it in command without losing a purity. The difference between blocking on turn 3 and blocking on turn 4 is huge against rush decks. If you get one piece of beast synergy out with it, it doesn't just stall rushes, it obliterates them. This card is actually okay. Not great, but not as bad as it looks at first glance.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:39:37 PM by moominpeter »