Author Topic: Infinity Development: March Edition  (Read 13045 times)

Offline zekses

• Translator
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Development: March Edition
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
I have to agree that I expected more. It's been more than 3 months and at least sneak peaks about next set should be available. Let me TL;DR; your tldr:

"We're working on it."

Sorry, I don't buy it. There is a lot of fluff in the original message, but it only hides the fact that the actual relevant contents ppl expected from quarterly is even less than tldr'd version. If ther eis more to come - you've chosen the wrong part to start from.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:58:54 AM by zekses »

Offline IguanaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
I have to agree that I expected more. It's been more than 3 months and at least sneak peaks about next set should be available. Let me TL;DR; your tldr:

"We're working on it."

Sorry, I don't buy it. There is a lot of fluff in the original message, but it only hides the fact that the actual relevant contents ppl expected from quarterly is even less than tldr'd version. If ther eis more to come - you've chosen the wrong part to start from.
It's not a quarterly though... its a monthly.  Though it was worth pointing out.  From what I understand this is not meant to detail what has gone on in the last 3 months, but more to do with previous and coming month.

What else can he say other than "We're working on it" or "We've done it"?  One of the main issues I had was lack of communication.  It's better that stuff like this is coming out so we know whats going on, even if it is just telling us what they are working on.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:21:00 AM by IguanaMan »
"Seriously if we don't bug hunt they might end up a new faction!" - Junker99

Offline suli

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »
I like the foundation set idea, some cards from the IW2013 set are so important to their factions. I also hope that the 'Coyles' would be included in the foundation sets/  ::)

wham

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
Glad devs are taking into account the new player experience now. All that other stuff also looks good, especially having more concise updates, but having more new players will always be great.

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 12:02:51 PM »
Alright, constructive criticism time:

The Infinity Wars Team grows with 2 more Warriors

So we’ve got two new hands on deck to support the bug fixing efforts, and issues affecting the core player experience. These fine gentlemen will assist us in optimizing, polishing, and spraying those RAID cans everywhere.

Say hello to Du-z, and TheMoot. Both of them will be joining our client programming side of things.

With the inclusion of these lovely gentlemen, this frees up our processes a bit more. We get to work on bugs as well as designing at the same time….it’s like we’re in heaven! More info on THAT subject below.

Please welcome them into the fold, and look forward to their good work in the coming weeks.

More people, especially programmers = good. Welcome, Du-Z and TheMoot!

Oppression and Foundation set designs/concepts

Let’s talk about what’s happening with the Design aspect of the game.

Foundation Set: So the last time you heard about this was when we introduced the concept of “Rotation”, and we didn’t really give you too much to go on with what it actually means.

The Foundation Set is meant to keep cards and mechanics that we deem a “foundation” to the game in circulation at any given point regardless of what Chapter (Block) we’re in. Treat IW2013 as the first “Foundation” set of Infinity Wars, as Rise marks the start of the Rise “Chapter”.

Not all cards will stay, and there may even be some new cards in Foundation, but the primary purpose is to serve as a buffer for all future sets, along with assisting new players reduce the barrier to entry and allowing existing users to stay relevant in any Chapter.

Any card that is re-printed in a Foundation Set that you have an original copy of is something you can use. Consider it a legacy version of the card, but so long as it’s in legal circulation, you can use whatever version of it you own.
Foundation Set has been explained previously, not seeing a lot of new information, but more clarity/insight into the rotation process is always welcome.

200 cards in Foundation seems a little excessive from my first estimates. So, here's my wild guesswork:

200 Cards / 7 Factions = 25 cards or so per faction. I count 68 cards in Verore currently. Can't be bothered looking it up, but lets say Verore reaches 100 cards by the end of the Order block.  25% of the set is going to stick around. Can you even name 25 good Verore cards you'd consider foundation off the top of your head?

Considering the first foundation block is likely to heavily favor Core/Rise Block over order cards, I wonder how many cards we're even getting rid of.

Rotation sounded cool (and horrible at the same time) because it made me wonder how different factions could be without core cards? What if Genesis wasn't Lucca based? DoD without the sages? What if Flame Dawn was turned into a rush/mid-range hybrid faction and most of their early rush rotated out?

The idea seemed to be, we don't have to let old cards dictate what new cards we can add. If we're not even going to try throwing any old cards out, what's the point of even rotating? Just removing old garbage?

Oppression Set: The groundwork for your next full set of cards has begun in terms of design. Thanks to having a few more hands on board, designing a set of cards doesn’t detract from the overall process of day to day workflows. What does this mean for you? It means that we’ve been able to manage our time much more optimally to allow for re-iteration of our own designs.

It means we’re able to put forth designs, test them out, and if we feel we need to re-iterate on anything we have much more freedom and time to do that now. Then we can move into playtesting, re-iterate/tweak where necessary, and release to you a quality set of cards.

One other little note for both of these things. We’ve developed some new tech that allows our artists to have some more freedom with the artwork, as well as reducing the asset load of the cards themselves. So it means that not only will the Foundation Set introduce new artwork for cards you’re already familiar with, but it also means that both of these sets will mark brand new ways of bringing our cards to life.

New cards are always awesome. I have more faith in the Infinity Council than i've had before, I can only hope that the developers lean more heavily on them during card balancing. I found Order overall dissapointing, with the exception of Verore/FD.

Don't really care about art. I like the art in the game, but i'd play with black textures instead of art if the card game was good enough.

Drafting

One other thing to be aware of is how we’re looking at the Global Draft pool as we move forward in development. It’s currently not in a place we want it to be with a bunch of cards that will pretty much never be picked in the pool just ruining some user’s picks.

With the advent of the Foundation Set, we wanted to let you know what’s happening with the Draft pool. The Draft pool will consist of Foundation, Order, and Oppression.

One of the first questions I’m sure you’ll have is “Won’t that make the draft pool ridiculously small?”. Well let me give you some info that’ll help you out. It’s important to remember that the primary reason we’re doing this is so we can more tightly control the draft environment and ensure it continues to be fun throughout each Chapter.

Now for that question of whether or not the draft pool will be ridiculously small. The Foundation Set will include around 200 cards consisting of mechanics and cards we felt needed to stay in the game at all time from sets that will eventually rotate out so that we can keep the game in a nice, even environment.

This gives us the control we need to make sure draft isn’t flooded with control cards or has one too many factionless in your lineups, etc. We’re hoping this makes the experience of drafting a deck much more fun for everyone, and we’ll continue to monitor it once this goes through.

I'm not a drafter, so can't really offer a lot of feedback. But I can't see how having a foundation set somehow stops factionless cards popping up, or too many control cards. Foundation seems like it'd add some stability in the long term to keep the card pool viable. But too many factionless, or bad picks seems like a problem that should be solved with programming/redesigning the rift system, not sets.

But I really don't understand so I could be completely off here.

New Player Pipeline and Core Player Experience

Lightmare is always looking at the best ways to improve Infinity Wars for the long-term. Thanks to the incredible amount of feedback the community provides us, we are looking at very specific areas of the game that we would like to optimize.

In the coming weeks, discussions internally will focus on (but not be limited to) the below topics. The discussions will involve large amounts of player feedback, design structures, and feedback loops for how we can assist all manner of players in better enjoying Infinity Wars.

*As a new player coming into the game, it’s important they learn things the right way. Infinity Wars takes a different mentality to play the game at a high level, and we’re going to take a look at those first 2 hours of a newbie coming into a brand new card game.

*There’s a big shift in play experience going from the Campaign out into the scary, frightening world of PvP. We want to look at how we can smooth out that experience and reduce the amount of shell shock, and help that first Mass Death that you didn’t avoid sting a bit less.

*As any card gamer will tell you, one of the primary driving factors is….well….cards. A collection is one of our greatest possessions, especially one that we can be proud of. One of the things we’re going to be discussing is the overall experience of building something you can be proud of. It’s a very open ended discussion, but an extremely important one.

*When you become a veteran player your mentality shifts. Your collection is satisfying, your deckbuilds get tweaked and optimized consistently, your friends list can get annoying. What keeps you logging in? What keeps you interested?

These are all discussions happening actively internally, and we wanted to make sure you knew what was going on with our processes there. Of course this isn't the first time these discussions have been had, but the discussion this time takes the role of getting the solution rather than simply identifying the issue. Once some development has come out of these discussions we’ll be able to let you know what that looks like.

One thing I’d like to point out, as I know there will be some questions on this front, is where “Feature” development is at. The word “Feature” can cover a wide variety of topics and I won’t touch on each one of them as it will mean something different to each one of you.

At present we would love to work on features and content, however we must be very real with ourselves. Developing features and content will pull more people into the game, and give all of you some more ways of enjoying Infinity Wars, however we can’t leave the player experience in it’s current state. Before we complete work on any new features or content, we need to make sure that the core experience of Infinity Wars works.

... finally. I'm glad that Lightmare's finally gotten around to working on this, but at the same time i'm extremely annoyed that it's taken this long, and that it's only in the beginning stages. There's not a lot I want to add here, we have MONTHS worth of feedback on improving player retention and quality of life, and i've got nothing new to add onto that.

Advertising is completely pointless with the level of player retention and burnout we're going through.

I will say though, I think more can be done to solve the issues outside the game, in addition to development changes. I still feel that there's room for improvement in growing/investing in the community from Lightmare. I'm not laying the blame on Teremus here, because he's busy with other projects, but if Lightmare has the time, I think focus needs to go into getting the community alive and active again. The forums seem dead compared to what they once were. Veterans keep leaving, community projects keep getting abandoned, and streamers don't really seem to be rewarded for helping spread the word.

Overall, what i'd like to know more about in these reports in the future is what the developers aren't working on. I know that sounds insane, but I've heard nothing about the 2015 client. Is it in development, postponed, cancelled? If the Order Balance patch isn't considered something the developers are in involved in, and hence relevant to these reports i'd like to know why. And if the patch is still being worked on, or worked on at all.

Adorabear has brought up Draft Leaderboard rewards before. It's not really relevant to me, but i'm sure there's people who would love to know if that's ever going back on the radar.

Maybe it's silly to expect to hear about everything that's not in active development. But Lightmare has left a lot of promises and projects hanging. Some of us would just like to know they're not actively being considered/pursued.

wham

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »
What I've heard (in the last stream) is that IW2015 is on hold until LM can accrue some funds, at which point they'll commission it and it'll get done all at once.

Please correct me if I got something wrong. It's not like I was taking notes when Teremus was talking.

Offline Thechynd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
So the draft pool is going to consist solely of foundation and the current block after Oppression comes out? I know this is pretty far off but do you have a plan in place for when the game's 3rd block comes out? Will draft then consist of just foundation and a single set or at that point will you be willing to include cards from Order block even though you don't want to currently include cards from Rise block (except for whatever gets included in the foundation)? Or is it far enough off that you don't want to make an early decision about that yet?

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 03:15:55 PM »
Hey thanks for the effort that was made to put up this large post, good read.

Something I would personally be interested in, is the Balance Patch. Perhaps there's a chance you can elaborate a bit on the progression of it in the next Development Post? I think it's nice for players to get a look behind the scenes on how testing has turned out so far. Eventually I think it would be really great to cover things like big patches in a video or on a stream with explanations on the changes that were made. A quick forum note on what cards are currently being looked into, would already do for me, but the more the better. I remember people being hyped about the stream where Poga talked about the design and balance of the game. Hopefully something like that will return in the future. There was something about it that made it feel like there was a closer connection to the player base, easy to understand and more down to earth.

Alright, good luck and don't forget to post some pics of you lashing the whip at the new programmers to keep us all motivated.   :P

Offline MakinoMane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »
Ohhh...More Veteran player content?! I look forward to more unique PvE. PvP has never interested me when it comes to gaming unless it's just playing around with friends. Some more content I would love to see is:

More Campaign/Lore with the introduction of every set:

With every Set, I think we should get 1 or 2 more additional Campaign missions added onto the campaign of every Faction still in rotation. These missions will introduce new cards from those sets and more challenges. Rewards could range from 1 or 2 new cards from the set for that faction, to avatars/titles that interact with the changes to the Faction. I.E: Order Set brought upon the end of the Sleepers. So the Sleepers campaign would show that in the final match and the reward could be a title called: the Virus Purger.

More Academy Missions:

The Academy, in my opinion, is the best place for new players to learn unique concepts to Infinity Wars. This is where I learned the game. I beat all the Academy missions before moving onto the campaign and teaches a lot of stuff that the Campaign lacks that are key to learning how to play this game. I believe this should be improved with more concepts that newer players lack the idea of.

In a sub category to this, there could be Puzzle challenges based on unique abilities. These abilities would include: Bloodthirst, Unstoppable, Untouchable, etc. Adding in these kind of missions where you must use these unique abilities could greatly help newer players figure out how to properly use each ability. It would also help every player when new Faction wide abilities, such as the aforementioned abilities, are introduced to the game.

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »
I cant find the right words to express my thoughts.

Well, finally we received some replacement for the so called Q1 statement. Im sure, Teremus put a lot of effort in it, but its the complete opposite of that, what i was waiting for. I dont even understand, why such a posting needs any conifrmation or internal approval. The shared informations are good, dont get me wrong, but nothing concrete.

I waited for a great announcement with topics like the grand non-premium IW Core 2013 disaster, the IW2015 client, the balance patch, the disabled weekly quests, the buggy illegal cards we have at the moment, the missing exp/ip tokens etc... combined with a time-frame to give the gamers a outlook when something rly will be fixed! So i was expecting some kind of confindetial facts for the next 1-4 weeks. Some kind of short-time promises that keeps us motivated to log in right here and now...

its great, that u discuss the future for the game, and want to change something in the future. But today, tomorrow, next week, next month?

Well, u said that there will be no marketing-stuff or whatsoever in this announcement. I have to admit, you were right, Teremus. To the better or worse.

Maybe its not fair to share my negative thoughts all the time with you. Not at a time, were u invested much effort into a posting like that, which took obviously a lot of time and work. But u dont reach me... LM doesnt reach me.

So while ur discussing, how to keep me and frustrated players like me ingame in about 6 months or maybe later, im thinking about selling my collection and quitting the game like all the other guys in the TRADING forum (lol - never was a trading section). The only reason why i dont do it is, that too many ppl are selling right now. It feels like the rats are leaving the sinking ship, while ur discussing the end of the horizon.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 06:27:16 PM »
Thanks for writting this Teremus! It's good to know what you guys are up to, without having to watch all your streams :)

Offline Rivenfell

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 07:23:12 PM »
My god. The mention of the upcoming Oppression set has gotten me wet.  :-*

Offline Winsanity

• The Winsanity is overwhleming
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »
0/10 Still no discussion of when we will be getting our jetpacks

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 09:55:51 PM »
Hey, look, a lot of new promises how good everything will be eventually.

I actually have wrote a lot of words about it and then I deleted them all. The simple fact is – before the release I said that deeds will show better than words what will happen with the game. Well, they did, at least to me. All I see is another bunch of words how bright and happy will be future of the game because of some "internal discussions and stuff". According to all I saw for the last half a year, I don't believe that this future will ever come. Not with Lightmare as the developer of this future.

I'm not doomsaying or anything. The game will survive. Its excellent core idea and the endless potential will help it to exist no matter of what parts of it are broken. But I'm afraid it always will be a buggy, uncompleted mess because LM cannot do better and has proved it with its deeds in multiple occasions.

Two new guys (hi, Du-z, and TheMoot)? Few months ago I would be happy to hear it. Now? By the look of how often these guys are mentioned in the article I have a feeling that they literally have saved the day. Will they be able to increase overall quality? Don't know, and almost don't care. Too tired from promises which are completely different from what I'm seeing in the game on a regular basis. Can't even force myself to believe in them anymore.
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline Chapmandu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:54 PM »
Too tired from promises which are completely different from what I'm seeing in the game on a regular basis. Can't even force myself to believe in them anymore.

I'm afraid I agree with Qfasa, it's just more promises to add to the mobile client, API, card art dump, IW2015 and server-client architecture. I really do hope that things improve (not only as I've invested a lot of time into the Infinite Network but also because I loved the game itself) but like most people I'll be judging that based the quality of Infinity Wars itself rather than promises Lightmare make.

Also unless I'm wrong, the 2 new staff members are replacements for 2 programmers who left rather than 2 additional staff.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:18:18 PM by Chapmandu »
We fight for the users!