Author Topic: Infinity Development: March Edition  (Read 12298 times)

Offline CaptShenanigans

• View Profile
Re: Infinity Development: March Edition
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »
Definitely a great article. Thanks for posting!

My favorite takeaway that some people may have overlooked. 2 new devs on the team!

Why is this awesome?

Yes, of course it means bugs will get squashed faster but you have to look at what else it means to really understand why its the single best thing we've heard from Lightmare in 2 years.

1 - First time I've seen them flat out hire two new people they weren't back filling.
2 - This means the game is healthy internally, meaning its earning money, or it's getting new investors. Either way it means the game is on a forward track more than ever.
3 - New hires means a ramp up of timelines and development activity. If there's one thing that has discouraged the vets who have been here for a long long time its that the game progresses pretty slow due to the size of the dev team. Finally stuff is going to get done faster!
4 - If they're hiring and improving things faster that may mean slow growth gives way to fast growth (growth of the company, the game, the community, the development and release of new sets and features).

Eventually they'll be kicking butt and taking names but until then its a slow increase. But for the first time ever its moving in the right direction.

I work in business folks. I interact with 30 companies daily. Some are small, a few hundred, some are mid size a few thousand, and some have tens of thousands of employees. Why do I bring this up? I can tell you based on my experience that a company not hiring is in bad shape and a company who is hiring is growing and growth is awesome. This single piece of information is a huge boost to the players of this game if you really look at all it means.

Keep it up fellas!

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 11:21:12 PM »
Also unless I'm wrong, the 2 new staff members are replacements for 2 programmers who left rather than 2 additional staff.

Actually they fill two separate roles, much more important roles for the state we're in.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
Allow me to re-iterate something for my prominent nay-sayers out there.

I'm not asking for your trust, I'm not asking for your patience, I'm simply being honest with all of you. A lot of you have acknowledged that the way the announcement disappointed you is simply with expectations of something different, something of a more complete scale, something that would be "X is being programmed and will be released Y" would have sated you.

You've also acknowledged your understanding in my role in all of this, and I appreciate that.

I'm simply informing you that from my perspective this is the absolute healthiest I have ever seen this team. That, unfortunately, is an internal deal. When a shift internally in any direction happens it takes time to manifest externally.

What has happened internally, I honestly cannot speak to, but good lord is it incredibly positive for this company and any of it's projects.

All of you know that I'm more than aware of your mentality if you were disappointed by the information in the post. Seriously I get it, and a large majority of you know that I do.

I'm not going to say "Wait for the next one." because that's not the end of it, nor is it fair to anyone. This announcement sets the stage for incredible things to come, and I get to do far more than I ever have.

So I'm simply informing you. If you appreciate what Infinity Wars can be, stick around, it finally gets to happen the right way.

I make this game, James.

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 03:42:54 AM »
I'm sorry, I love you and all, Teremus and have tons of respect for what you do, but I would rather watch a Cat video than read this post. This statement states nothing I haven't already known. It isn't new information, and was good waste of 15 minutes of my life.

If you are forced to type such non-sense in such an elegant style, I would prefer it if you didn't have to type these monthly statements. You're time would be better appreciated chatting with players in Global or continuous monitoring of forum posts, etc.

These statements will be short and a constant repetition of "We are working on the next set and we are bug squashing,". I expect Lightmare to already be doing this and don't need to hear that you just started working on it.

Just my two cents regarding this post.  :D

Congratulations to the 2 new team members joining the Infinity Wars family. We will fight a lot but just know we will always love you. We're stuck with each other, so in your face! :-*

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:46:43 AM by ORISOLVE »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:05 AM »
I can tell you based on my experience that a company not hiring is in bad shape and a company who is hiring is growing and growth is awesome.
I agree with you. But I'm looking at this at another angle. Those are first two people LM ever hired in almost two years! What would you say about them a month ago, before this statement, and before information about new guys was available?

I'm not really confident to discuss internal stuff because I know nothing about it but I have logic. Never before LM did an announcement about them hiring someone (well, artists. No disrespect for you guys but this isn't the same). And now, when it's finally happened, it looks almost like worshiping to them, to be honest. They've arrived and now LM can do this, and that, and something else, and everything is going to be great. I'm sorry, but behind this I see "we weren't capable to do all of this stuff before these two guys". Yeah, that explains me couple of moments from the past few months.

Actually they fill two separate roles, much more important roles for the state we're in.
And who replaces those who had left? Their roles were less important but not useless I suppose?

See, Teremus, I'm not dissatisfied with the post. For hyper-connected user as I see myself it's "meh" but you explained that you want to keep it simple and short. Well, I can live with it, newcomers need info too and if you think this format is better than I won't argue with you.

I'm dissatisfied with the fact that this post is late for at least 3 months. Back then I could be excited about something you do "internally". But instead we had promises about Q1 statement and lots of excuses about how it should be approved, and improved, and updated. Month, after month, after month. In the mean time what were your deeds?

The gap between 1.2 and 1.3 is 3 months and for that time nothing happened here. Those are your deeds. Russian server was launched. It was a terrible mess and as far as I know it isn't recovered in full, it still has some troubles. 1.3.12 deed a few good things and broke another ones. As usual. Those are also your deeds. Besides that we've had promises for the balance patch, and IW 2015, and some new exciting feature with first info about it in the February. Nothing of it ever happened and those are also your deeds (or no-deeds if this is a word).

And now your post says "everything will be great. I won't tell what happened with all that stuff we promised you before, instead I will tell you lots of new stuff about our great future". You know what it reminds me? Russian politics. Well, I suppose you can tell it about any politics in the World but I know only Russians. Promises, after promises, after promises. Always about the future, never about current situation. Later no one cares to fulfill them, instead we just have new promises. Yes, you're talking about current problems but when they will be solved? In the future guys, in the future. Everything will be amazing in the future, just stick with us and you will see.

In the mean time, six months since release, we still cannot play without risk of being screwed by one bug or another, patches' quality isn't getting any better, people are leaving but hey... great future awaits.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:05:58 AM by Qfasa »
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

schumisaurus

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
I agree with you. But I'm looking at this at another angle. Those are first two people LM ever hired in almost two years! What would you say about them a month ago, before this statement, and before information about new guys was available?

I will say this. More than the just announced two have been hired in the past 2 years. I was hired with 3 others, including Poga, 1 year ago. There just wasn't a big announcement or anything.

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 10:48:28 AM »

I will say this. More than the just announced two have been hired in the past 2 years. I was hired with 3 others, including Poga, 1 year ago. There just wasn't a big announcement or anything.
Thanks for the info, and I apologise for my mistake then. Still can't see this as promising as CaptShenanigans sees it but at least this part of my concerns not as bad as I thought.
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline The_Fallen

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
It's really good, that nothing has changed. Therfore I can quote myself: [end sarcasm]

Quote:
"Re: [Dev Blog] Moose Report #1
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »
Tbh I'm not very happy with this post, as it is mostly general talk.  Much more specific details would be very appreciated: For example the discussion about [...] (insert any topic brought up by the players in the last few months)  I' know you can't say that this [...] will be like this in the next patch, but you could point out the pro/contra arguments discussed by lightmare."

Still waiting. Hope declining.

For bugfixing information: Proud Windows XP User

Offline Sir_T_bone

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 02:01:15 AM »
I just wanted to say that I'm really exited about the coming changes, especially new card art and improved flexibility for the artists.  I have to say that is one thing that really drew me into the game and I still always enjoy.

Offline Caberman

• Aka Lucratius
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 03:24:17 AM »
So since I'm a draft fanatic I think I have to drop my 50cents on your decision in terms of draft pool.

Obviously alot of what I will be saying here are assumptions considering we know nothing but the relative size of the foundation set (~200 cards). For this post I'm just going to guess that, let's say, cards like Masked initiate or Scramble are not going to be part of it ("trash"-tier cards, considered useless by the majority of the community).
First off you need to ask yourself: What brings a player to play draft instead of constructed? For newer players it's often the fact that every player, no matter how long they have played, are put on an even playing field card-wise. For more experienced/veteran players like me however it's often the fact that draft offers a unique type of games, in which you see cards/decks played that simply can't find a place in an optimized constructed deck.
You mention in your article that you don't like the state of draft because cards exist that "will never be picked" and thus "ruin some user's picks". For once this won't change if you restrict the card pool in the way you currently intend to. At this moment, the cards you speak of are cards like Scramble, Soldier of Fortune, something like Unfazed etc. However, simply cutting off the bottom of the card pool (in terms of viability) won't change anything. There will be new cards which never will be picked, like for instance Power of the Underdog, Prayer of the Dragon, probably Purge the Unworthy. You might say that, since the complete trash cards are out, the new bottom of cards are "more fun" to play, but in reality, since the average deck is of higher quality now, these cards end up being just as non-fun as the old bottom-tier ones.
It's the fact that drafts are non-optimal, that sometimes you end up in a situation where that Soldier of Fortune (yes it happens) is maybe the correct pick, and you need to make the best out of it. A big part of the fun of draft (at least for me, but I know for a fact that I'm not alone in that opinion) is seeing those non-optimal cards, since you won't ever see them in constructed anyway. I would say that the more similiar draft decks become, the less desire I have to play it. And the current measures you want to take will cause exactly that to happen.

I want to add that I don't want the entire card pool to be always available in drafts. As time passes and sets get released it will simply clutter up and become somewhat of a clusterpuffy (as other cardgames have proven). The best solution IMO is the one you already proposed before, simply let the draft pool be the same one as the ranked pool. But by simply cutting bad cards you don't necessarily "keep the draft fun", in might actually cause quite the opposite.

Heck, personally, my favorite solution would be to have a seperate "chaos draft mode" where the entire cardpool is able to be chosen, but given how small of a playerbase there is in the first place, splitting it further seems not like a good idea :-X.

I'm tired atm so chances are I left some important points out here/wasnt too specific, I'll talk more about this tomorrow.

"A cynical bastard"

Vengeful warrior or bust.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 04:13:23 AM »
You did leave a very important part out of your statement, but you said you're tired so I won't hold it against you.

You misinterpreted the execution greatly. When sets like IW2013/Rise were designed, we didn't have any kind of Drafting. Drafting didn't factor into our design decisions whatsoever.

We're not "Cutting off the bottom tier" as you say, we're designing an environment with draft in mind. There will always be cards that will be picked less than any other cards, it's like any villain story in a comic. Kill one villain, that just leaves a gap for another one to replace them.

It's not about cutting anything out of the draft pool, it's about creating an environment that is healthier due to updated ways of thinking in the design process. Not because of eliminating cards, that's not the point of it, that's just a side-effect.

As for the draft pool copying what's ranked legal, that's the long-term plan. If you look at the route IW will go, the Rise block will be phased out of ranked by the time the chapter following Order will be brought into the game. It's a little bit of a drawn out process, but if it started later rather than sooner it would simply do exactly as you said, get clusterpuffed.

I make this game, James.

Offline Abyss

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 07:01:50 AM »
In regards to Draft, it sounds like part of this is 'fixing' the draft pool in regards to things like getting neutral picks ALL THE TIME, or the same cards always showing up (Which from previous comments is a bug....Maybe?)

Are you able to comment whether we'll also see a better representation of Epic/Legendary cards in Draft? This seems to have occurred at the same time as the above, and is one of the main reasons I no longer bother to draft - lack of variety. Is this something that will be looked at specifically, or just as part of the overall changes?

Moving forward, will the rarity of cards be balanced (at least partly) around Draft? The other major reasons keeping me from drafting is the overall randomness of it, and building a deck around a certain theme is essentially a crapshoot. While shrinking the cardpool and removing some issues will help here, will there also be a dedicated attempt to build this kind of balance into the sets themselves, now that draft is a thing?

Offline supermike

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2015, 11:00:33 PM »
I enjoyed reading about the upcoming improvements and continued developments in this game.  I just found this game on Steam a couple months ago, and I cant stop playing it.  So much fun.  With all the complaints I keep reading about fixes and changes not coming fast enough for some people.  I just want to say, thank you Lightmare for making such an excellent game, take your time and do it right.

Offline Andras

• Avarrach Tour Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 05:09:59 AM »
I'm a little disappointed in the lack of specific information, but I know you guys are building up steam.  I've been away from IW for a while, and with some major releases coming out soon that I've greatly looked forward to, I might not return for yet a while still.  But know that when pre-orders open for the next set, my wallet is ready! Thanks for all your hard work, guys.

Offline Redaktor

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »
Nothing about the super cool and fresh IW2015 client?